Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭JoeGil

Gave up entirely listening to the show months ago. Don't understand why RTE just don't scrap it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

JoeGil wrote: »
    Gave up entirely listening to the show months ago. Don't understand why RTE just don't scrap it.

Safe pair of hands who wont say the wrong thing that might upset the powers that be...listeners are switching off in considerable numbers according to the most recent jnlrs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

If I got 20 cents for every time I've heard him tell his story about going busking for the first time, I'd have at least a euro by now.
    Is that the one where he went to buy a coffee with his takings and it was the first time he felt like a professional musician?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Tommie Gorman was on Yesterday's programme commenting on the disturbances in Belfast this week.

I lost count of the number of times he referred to the flag of the United Kingdom as the Union Jack.
    For someone in his position, he really should know better. Belfast City Hall is not a ship.

Does the RTÉ newsroom not advise their correspondents on simple protocol?

It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that the show's host didn't pick him up on it. She recently referred to the amount of people catching the boat to Holyhead - in England.

Sloppy stuff for a high profile programme.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Lapin wrote: »
    Tommie Gorman was on Yesterday's programme commenting on the disturbances in Belfast this week.

I lost count of the number of times he referred to the flag of the United Kingdom as the Union Jack.
    For someone in his position, he really should know better. Belfast City Hall is not a ship.

Does the RTÉ newsroom not advise their correspondents on simple protocol?

It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that the show's host didn't pick him up on it. She recently referred to the amount of people catching the boat to Holyhead - in England.

Sloppy stuff for a high profile programme.

You are actually mistaken so an apology is due to Gorman. This alleged distinction between 'Union Jack' and 'Union Flag' is, in fact, a myth, albeit a depressingly persistent one. According to the UK's vexillological organisation, the Flag Institute:

'It is often stated that the Union Flag should only be described as the Union Jack when flown in the bows of a warship, but this is a relatively recent idea. From early in its life the Admiralty itself frequently referred to the flag as the Union Jack, whatever its use, and in 1902 an Admiralty Circular announced that Their Lordships had decided that either name could be used officially. Such use was given Parliamentary approval in 1908 when it was stated that "the Union Jack should be regarded as the National flag".'

(Source: The Union Jack or the Union Flag?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Marian is having a go at the the level of USC levied on the self-employed, the people who create wealth and give employment to others.

Am I right in thinking that Marian is self-employed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

Marian is having a go at the the level of USC levied on the self-employed, the people who create wealth and give employment to others.

Am I right in thinking that Marian is self-employed?

Maybe, but she was talking about people who create employment for others by being self employed, which sure ain't her

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

GSF wrote: »
    Maybe, but she was talking about people who create employment for others by being self employed, which sure ain't her

Surprised with "all the research she does" :rolleyes: that Marian didn't hear Pat Kenny put exactly the same question to Michael Noonan the morning after the budget & Noonan make exactly the same point - if the self-employed were to get the same level of benefits then the PAYE sector would have to get the same loopholes and tax ememptions, write offs etc as are available to the self employed.

One point which I think is omitted in the discussions regarding the awful event at Sandy Hook school & similar mass killings, is that first and foremost all these killers are sad, pathetic cowards. It doesn't take any courage to mow down children or captive, unarmed teenagers (as in Norway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

Callan57 wrote: »
    One point which I think is omitted in the discussions regarding the awful event at Sandy Hook school & similar mass killings, is that first and foremost all these killers are sad, pathetic cowards. It doesn't take any courage to mow down children or captive, unarmed teenagers (as in Norway).

The Irish are very quick to lecture every other country about its flaws. Today it is the USA, previously it was India for daring to comment on Ireland's abortion laws, and every day it is to criticise the Germans for being irrational in not wanting to pick up the tab for every write off across Europe. Never question the home audience's wisdom much though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,356 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Is it Marian or Michael D speaking?

Hard to tell :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Excellent show today in fairness, MDH then Bowman and the other historian talking about WW2. When she has guests like these, Marian knows enough to just cue them up and let them talk.

Its all good - be happy - believe - and it will all be ok.......

They are producing enough BS on the Marian show to feed these 'green shoots'

Its a pity none of Marians guests read Fintan O' Tooles article on the economic in yesterdays Irish Times.

Todays 'green shoots' show is either deluded waffle or Govt sponsored propaganda......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

Excellent show today in fairness, MDH then Bowman and the other historian talking about WW2. When she has guests like these, Marian knows enough to just cue them up and let them talk.

I'm not a great fan of Made Marion, but I found today's Foreign Affairs segment very good! Happy New Year to all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

And when you add in the 38 hours a week she puts in reading the papers as well..

Was trying to listen to it but no podcast up Dec 23rd... I mean if they put a copy of Audacity on Marian's computer she could do it herself ffs...

Dirigent wrote: »
    I'm not a great fan of Made Marion, but I found today's Foreign Affairs segment very good! Happy New Year to all.

For someone who apparently puts so much time into research the 'remind me who Piers Morgan is' comment was a bit disconcerting...

The apology to David Mc Williams was required after the ill judged comments in the first part of the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Looks like Marion is off on holidays for two weeks.

limnam wrote: »
    Looks like Marion is off on holidays for two weeks.

Áine Lawlor is an excellent stand-in while Made Marion tops up her tan.

Áine Lawlor is an excellent stand-in while Made Marion tops up her tan.

After an excellent start, today's show has become more turgid by the minute. This segment on writing books is far, far too long and boring!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Aine Lawlor:mad: I'll get my coat.

Come back Charlie,Claire, anyone but not Aine Lawlor:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Greenman wrote: »
    Aine Lawlor:mad: I'll get my coat.

Come back Charlie,Claire, anyone but not Aine Lawlor:mad::mad::mad:

I wouldn't go that far. Charlie Bird was brutal. Aine Lawlor did a good job today. I like her voice - far better than Marian's 40-a-day rasping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,562 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I wouldn't go that far. Charlie Bird was brutal. Aine Lawlor did a good job today. I like her voice - far better than Marian's 40-a-day rasping.

+1000 - God preserve us from Charlie :eek:

I think Áine Lawlor is excellent, full stop. The book segment today dragged on a bit, ok - but she can have the show full-time as far as I'm concerned.

I thought Áine Lawlar was very good this morning .... one small issue though, would she please desist from the constant references to her kids!

I thought the Pieta House interview was very interesting but IMO she could have toned down the religious overtones - think she might have turned off a lot of listeners at that point. But on her own profession she was excellent, honest and upfront, just a pity there aren't a few more so-called "professionals" as honest as her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Marian off on another holiday...you just got to laugh :rolleyes:

Thought Aine Lawlor was excellent on todays show - seemed genuinely interested in her interviewees, listened to what they had to say and asked the relevant questions (as opposed to having a prepared list of questions).

Aine also knew eg what Borgen was / facebook and twitter were not alien terms ,and I would be fairly certain that Aine will not ask 'Who is Piers Morgan ?'

Tomorrow maybe a tougher test but I am hopeful that it will not be a D4 coffee morning chat telling us all to be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Well I seem to be out numbered.

As long as Aine Lawlor is on air I'll be elsewhere on the radio dial.

Jesus H Christ, do we have to listen to this insufferable woman promoting her book again... Everybody in that Government should be treated with the absolute contempt they deserve.... They have no shame

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Jesus H Christ, do we have to listen to this insufferable woman promoting her book again... Everybody in that Government should be treated with the absolute contempt they deserve.... They have no shame

As long as most of the RTE presenters are related to Fianna Fail, i wouldnt be expecting anything else to be honest!

RTEs bias is beyond a joke at this stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

Mammy O`Rourke agin on RTE...have they no shame...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

+1
    I don't often physically react to the radio but I did when she announced that. What I find most annoying is that nobody challenges the sleeven ****e.

signostic wrote: »

Advising others not to inflate their egos during the EU Presidency. I nearly choked on my Corn Flakes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Thanks for the warning, I was just about to switch on the radio:D

Let me know when she has left the building !

*looks at watch*

Come on Aíne, nobody cares about a bunch of spoiled Protestants that much...

FFS - Mammy,Lucinda & Co...........Marian might be on holidays but the Marian show booker obviously is not.....all we need now is for Jim 'soft landing' Power to make an appearance.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the warning, I was just about to switch on the radio:D
    Let me know when she has left the building !
    She actually lives in that building.

<snip>

I think that's the vid they are talking about... The legislators should really hold their hands up about this one.. FB have their headquarters here, cynically, because they know what a backward regime we have here and they will get away with whatever they want.. ...

Anything that is put up on FB should be treated similarly to a published article in a newspaper... Then prosecute a few token people for slander to let them know that you are serious..

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

JonathanAnon, please do not post a link to that video again. There is a very long and tedious Feedback thread about it, but this post is pretty much all you need to read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

Infoanon wrote: »
    FFS - Mammy,Lucinda & Co..............

Lucinda has left if thats any help to anyone

Lucinda has left if thats any help to anyone
    If only Mammy ("I've had more threats than you") O'R would leave. For good.

Show has been very disappointing - it was a cosy chat amongst friends - not a dissenting voice to be heard....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭JoeGil

I’m surprised anybody even still listens to thisweekly regurgitation of the inner circle’s groupthink on their favourite topics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I nearly choked on my Corn Flakes.

Posh git! :D

Advising others not to inflate their egos during the EU Presidency. I nearly choked on my Corn Flakes.

I thought that quite amusing from the Queen of Ego .... sad that Irish taxpayers are buying her silly book, as if they haven't donated enough to her personal bank account already. :mad:

Zaph wrote: »
    JonathanAnon, please do not post a link to that video again.

Yeah no bother..

I agree with the above about it being far too cosy in that studio... Mary O'Rourke was allowed to have a few slights against Colm Keavney unchallenged.. It's like a witches cauldron much of the time..

Marion off again next week. Baffling how RTE allow this to continue.. :confused::confused:

Major faux pas from Lawlor yesterday when discussing children's allowance cuts with Colm Rapple.

She said she had not even bothered to check how much hers had decreased by.

No recession in that house.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Major faux pas from Lawlor yesterday when discussing children's allowance cuts with Colm Rapple.

If she had checked, and then said of how much she was losing, then somebody would be here complaining about her poor-mouthing.

• Advertisement

If she had checked, and then said of how much she was losing, then somebody would be here complaining about her poor-mouthing.
    She should have made no mention of her personal circumstances whatsoever.

She should stick to what she does best, ie.
    getting the time wrong and fake laughing.

She should have made no mention of her personal circumstances whatsoever.

She should stick to what she does best, ie.
    getting the time wrong and fake laughing.
    Attack 1 parried: change the point of attack.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

And then you'd be saying, if someone posted about her not bothering to check how much she was losing, then somebody would be on here moaning about that.

In fairness I think thats been taken out of context - additionally I don't think she said that 'she had not bothered'.

I was listening yesterday and Aine mentioned a number of 'negative' stories and in particular the impact of the budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Greenman wrote: »
    Well I seem to be out numbered.

As long as Aine Lawlor is on air I'll be elsewhere on the radio dial.

Me too. I can't bear her.Each to their own I suppose.She's insincere and her quite nice voice hides a lot. She's as out of touch as the rest of them as far as I'm concerned and tries too hard to appear to be in touch. Her cringeworthy exchanges with Des Cahill for example are a case in point. Then again Gavin Jennings is the same. Sorry I should have written Dr. Gavin Jennings as he likes to be known .

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement