Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Wooo...fancy new intro music! Money well spent!

I'm not sure I thought it was just the same theme tune, but played in mono or something.. Didnt seem to come through properly.

Not another Fianna Fáiler blaming Lehman's Bank for his troubles.. He consider Denis O'Brien on the same level as Brian O'Driscoll and Katie Taylor... Give me a break.. Without Michael Lowry giving him the license to print money, his career would have been a lot different..

"People arent gonna put in hundred and hundreds of thousands and not get a return on it"..

She's obviously not familiar with her own contract with RTE then..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Next topic ?

Boredom.

Marian Shure can do irony eh ?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Jasus discussing boredom on this programme is just asking for it!

edit, Damn you constitutionus! :p

Half an hour left (bar ads) the made finally gets to the biggest story of the day - Cyprus .

Should be a laugh .

EDIT .

WOW , a whole 2 min on a subject where our finance minister thought stealing deposit was grand and signed off on it .

Now some nobody actor mate to interview instead . When Brenda power did a better job on newstalk ya know sometings up

"11 to 1"

I assume she means that the show will finish at 11 minutes to 1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

I turned on the radio during the middle of John Reynolds' interview/chat and thought Louis Walsh had died. The way he went on in the past tense!!! Louis was great... Louis did this.... blah blah blah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Shane Ross expressing concern for "ordinary people": he has stolen Joe Higgins's clothes.

Ross has long been been fighting the good fight, just from a slightly more monied position that Comrade Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

I have a lot of regard for Shane Ross but when he goes OTT he just sounds plain silly

• Advertisement

Ah ffs.. Set the radio for 11am, heard the news but fell back asleep before I even heard the words "with is in studio is retired secretary general.... "

I may download the podcast.. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

mike65 wrote: »
    Ross has long been been fighting the good fight, just from a slightly more monied position that Comrade Higgins.

Yeah right!
    Shane was a big fan of Fingers and Seanie Fitz not so very long ago. The good fight indeed. He also writes for the Sindo, which undermines his credibility completely. It was essentially a Fianna Faíl property bubble pamphlet during the Celtic Bubble.
    He's by no means the worst of the long list of chancers that grace our airwaves with their presence, but that ain't saying much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

5 minute interview with the guy who sang the national anthem at the Sweeden Ireland game,quizzing about the complaints Marian lets slip half way through the interview that she has not seen / heard the singing.....

What happended to all that time spent on research !

Also have to question the ten minutes spent 'interviewing' her guests at the start of the show - suppose one way of ignoring the events of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Independent.ie reporting that poor Marion's pay reduced by 48pc to €295,000. She will have to take more holidays to get over the shock :D

only another 200 before her savings are safe !

Layinghen wrote: »
    Independent.ie reporting that poor Marion's pay reduced by 48pc to €295,000. She will have to take more holidays to get over the shock :D

Can you believe it, must be the handiest number in the country (world) .... even at an absolute stretch she's doing an absolute max 10hrs a week for that, sure where would you get it?
    I feel so much better knowing my licence fee is going to such a worthy cause. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

2011 €491,770

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭donaghs

I see the Marion Finucane gravy train rumbles on. Whatever about the other RTE "stars", she's still the standout joker in the pack.

No paper review Marian?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Just tuned in since 12 o'clock. Interview with John Bowman about a 4 part programme on Mary Robinson, followed by clip of enda kenny sketch from another RTE programme. If I want to hear those I'll tune in at their own time. Something new please.

Utter piffle of a programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

honeybear wrote: »
    Just tuned in since 12 o'clock. Interview with John Bowman about a 4 part programme on Mary Robinson, followed by clip of enda kenny sketch from another RTE programme. If I want to hear those I'll tune in at their own time. Something new please.

Ah, here, that'll cost you another 500,000......

honeybear wrote: »

Your lucky - the interview with John Bowman began at 11.45approx....no research required for that segment........

And the 'paper review'......quick read out of the headlines and very quickly moving on from the headline in the mail - was it about a wealth tax ?? - Marian moved on very quickly from it

Dire show today...

I collapsed with the shock that she was actually there on a bank holiday weekend.. I was only revived at 12.52 so missed the rest of Marian...

I collapsed with the shock that she was actually there on a bank holiday weekend.. I was only revived at 12.52 so missed the rest of Marian...

Apart from the weekly wheezing session you didn't miss much today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 PODboy

Surely Marion should not have gone on air today - she sounds hoarse and certainly not up to a live radio show....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

She's wheezing away cough cough
    The show is not sponsored by a tobacco firm is it?

this is an insult to all Irish Taxpayers - almost like Cowen's Galway moment....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

PODboy wrote: »
    Surely Marion should not have gone on air today - she sounds hoarse and certainly not up to a live radio show....

You think she cares what the show sounds like after all these years!

ha.

getting a laugh out of this lab lad. "reflecting" - seem to remember bertie starting that one for "****e up beyond all recognition" :D

• Advertisement

Hope RTE have the oxygen cylinder close at hand ... new levels of wheezing have been reached. I suppose it wouldn't have been the weekend to take time off :rolleyes:

.... and the brass necked Mary Hanafin is back! FF have decided the gormless Irish people's amnesia has kicked in & it's back to business as usual. Wonder will she make any reference to how tough it is to get by on her multiple pensions. I really despair of this country :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Hanafin creeping back on to the airwaves.
    I despair.

I despair.
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    I'm :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I despair.

Inevitable.
    The sign has just been given in Meath East that the Irish electorate are, as suspected, as stupid as ever.

Marion Finucane can be replaced for 100K by Claire Byrne or Rachel English?
    Pat Kenny would get a gig nowhere else for more than 150K?
    Tubridy should be replaced by Sean Moncrieff or Ray Darcy - 180K
    George Hamilton is probably worth 100K - but RTE badly needs another commentator - as he is not always on the ball ?

I have saved 500K for the taxpayer already - any other suggestions....?

ps. obviously Marion doesn't bank with Ulster - she doesn't even know who owns them - embarrassing

Does anyone know off the top of their head how much a 'guest' or 'contributor' is paid to be on this show?

admit it lads, were now all thinking about marion and co going down in a plane crash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

snubbleste wrote: »
    Does anyone know off the top of their head how much a 'guest' or 'contributor' is paid to be on this show?
    I wouldn't think they get paid anything

People were brainwashed into buying houses :confused: and these houses are 'homes'

Phoebas wrote: »
    I wouldn't think they get paid anything

oh yes they do.

have a looky.

http://www.politics.ie/forum/media/182747-rte-external-commentators-payments-reveal-irish-times-journos-bias-sunday-times.html

some of these lads are earning more in the RTE gig than partimers working their arse off in their REAL job.

snouts and troughs come to mind.

• Advertisement

oh yes they do.

have a looky.

http://www.politics.ie/forum/media/182747-rte-external-commentators-payments-reveal-irish-times-journos-bias-sunday-times.html

some of these lads are earning more in the RTE gig than partimers working their arse off in their REAL job.

Please, please no more ... is there no end to the public largess being bestowed on a small golden circle?

oh yes they do.

have a looky.

Its no wonder none of these 'journalists' would comment on tbe extortionate wages paid to the RTE presenters. They are all bleeding RTE dry aswell!

Its a f***ed up country!

Its no wonder none of these 'journalists' would comment on tbe extortionate wages paid to the RTE presenters. They are all bleeding RTE dry aswell!

Its a f***ed up country!
    Seventeen people shared €120k over a 3-year period: that's an average of about €2,400 p.a. per head.

Given how many grumbles we see here about some of these individuals seeming to be on radio so much, it looks to me as if the fee per appearance must be relatively modest.

Seventeen people shared €120k over a 3-year period: that's an average of about €2,400 p.a. per head.

Given how many grumbles we see here about some of these individuals seeming to be on radio so much, it looks to me as if the fee per appearance must be relatively modest.

But there meant to be independent minds. You think they are going to criticise anyone that are funding there bank acounts?

How many of these contributors have you heard criticise the wages this week?

But there meant to be independent minds. You think they are going to criticise anyone that are funding there bank acounts?

How many of these contributors have you heard criticise the wages this week?
    I don't recall hearing any of those highest-paid journalists in the past week. That doesn't signify anything; it happens that I heard far less radio than usual, because I was doing other stuff.

In general, journalists who are brought on to discuss public affairs are constrained by the programme format. They usually can not force the discussion onto topics of their own choice. You won't find gems like "Okay, Marian, I know you invited me in to discuss the application of the Personal Insolvency Act, but I really want to talk about your remuneration package".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

snubbleste wrote: »

Joeseph O'Connor gets about €550 for each of those "radio columns" he does for Drivetime or whatever it's called.

I don't recall hearing any of those highest-paid journalists in the past week. That doesn't signify anything; it happens that I heard far less radio than usual, because I was doing other stuff.

In general, journalists who are brought on to discuss public affairs are constrained by the programme format. They usually can not force the discussion onto topics of their own choice. You won't find gems like "Okay, Marian, I know you invited me in to discuss the application of the Personal Insolvency Act, but I really want to talk about your remuneration package".

Because anyone likely to say "I really want to talk about your remuneration package" won't be let within an asses roar of Marian's studio. Ditto anyone likely to want to discuss Ms Hanafin's multiple pension entitlements while she is swanning around US universities - it beggers belief. :rolleyes:

And why?
    because the studios are full of representatives of the golden circle whose snouts are also firmly in the trough and they are not likely to raise these kinds of questions.

Callan57 wrote: »
    Because anyone likely to say "I really want to talk about your remuneration package" won't be let within an asses roar of Marian's studio. Ditto anyone likely to want to discuss Ms Hanafin's multiple pension entitlements while she is swanning around US universities - it beggers belief. :rolleyes:

Did I imagine it ? or when Mary Hanafin said it was difficult to adjust to life after the Dail , did one of the contributors said that was a reason why the Seanad should be retained so that politicians would have something to do ??

Took until 12.25 to cover Cyprus...for all of 4 minutes...

Infoanon wrote: »
    Did I imagine it ? or when Mary Hanafin said it was difficult to adjust to life after the Dail , did one of the contributors said that was a reason why the Seanad should be retained so that politicians would have something to do ??
    Yes it was bizarre, but it was more along the lines of these ex-politicians have so much more to contribute even though they quit or were dismissed and therefore should be allowed to destroy lives further from the Seanad.

• Advertisement

theres also the old adage "ya get what ya pay for".

why in the name of christ is anyone paying brenden keenan for financial analysis after his preformance in that interview with morgan kelly ?

cause they get what they want.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement