Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Oh Breda, just go home before you embarrass yourself further..

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

Because of his involvement in the inquest had the facts, he also remained calm & rational. Ms O'Brien was silly to argue.

Here's Declan Power now... Everybody put on your military jacket and head to the war room...

tumblr_m9yflnDy571qi6zcz.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

"I'm not sure who's coming and going but after the break..." a true professional!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Mearings wrote: »
    Because of his involvement in the inquest had the facts, he also remained calm & rational. Ms O'Brien was silly to argue.

Bredas' 'people have told me' (Breda the teacher & Iona Institute member(Director?) Vs the expert Doctor with forensic knowledge of the case,

When I heard Marian reading out the guest list it was depressing to hear Breda O'Brien being named as a guest (no mention of allegiance to Iona).

Then I heard Peter Boylan being introduced to the debate and for the first time in a long time on the Marian show I knew there would be some balance.

I shudder at the thought that If Peter Boylan had not been on the show Breda would probably have got away with sprouting her nonsense and revisionalisms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Iona Institute freaks spouting waffle and hearsay again.
    Say two our fathers and a decade of the rosary in penance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

I'd trust Dr Boylan with my life .... I wouldn't trust Brenda to clip my nails :eek:

Listened to the last bit of the show in the car... Had to laugh at Declan Power getting the Dr Boylan treatment from their American guest on the topic of the atomic bomb..

You'd half to laugh at Marian's assertion that she "spends all week reading the papers and researching the show".. It took her a full minute to list all of the contributing guests, researchers and other people who helped create the show..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Infoanon wrote: »
    Bredas' 'people have told me' (Breda the teacher & Iona Institute member(Director?) Vs the expert Doctor with forensic knowledge of the case,

When I heard Marian reading out the guest list it was depressing to hear Breda O'Brien being named as a guest (no mention of allegiance to Iona).

Then I heard Peter Boylan being introduced to the debate and for the first time in a long time on the Marian show I knew there would be some balance.

I shudder at the thought that If Peter Boylan had not been on the show Breda would probably have got away with sprouting her nonsense and revisionalisms.

Was good radio ok

• Advertisement

Not often I say it but Mary Lou was outstanding this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Callan57 wrote: »
    Not often I say it but Mary Lou was outstanding this morning
    On Marian's programme on a Monday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Outstanding to Sinn Fein supporters no doubt. Usually she bluffs & bashes her way through an interview by stating the bleedin obvious!
    whilst gaining extra brownie points for 'the cause' from the young & gullible. Anyway, I presume we are talking about yesterdays show?

LordSutch wrote: »
    whilst gaining extra brownie points for 'the cause' from the young & gullible. Anyway, I presume we are talking about yesterdays show?

No, today's Pat Kenny Show.. Posted on this thread by mistake I think.

LordSutch wrote: »
    Outstanding to Sinn Fein supporters no doubt. Usually she bluffs & bashes her way through an interview by stating the bleedin obvious!

My apologies should have been posting in Pat Kenny Show topic ... put it down to Monday morning or mayby just shock at being impressed by Mary Lou ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Asbury Park

Marian has lost 73,000 listeners on a Sunday over the course of a year, and 27,000 on a Saturday. If that doesn't tell RTE management that she's becoming a liability, then I don't know what will. When her contract comes up for renewal, I think it should be goodbye Marian. 73,000 turned off by the turgid nonsense of her Sunday program "So Mr. or Ms. Overpaid, tell the little people out there how they should just be getting on with things"

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/listeners-increasingly-tuning-out-of-rt%C3%A9-s-weekend-radio-shows-1.1373198

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

The Indo have carried a report on Marian's falling figures too. It's hardly surprising that she is losing listeners, she's away from her show far too often. I listen most Saturdays but I can't stand her Sunday gathering of retired politicians and civil servants so I avoid that at all costs.

Ms Finucane, who ranked third in the top 10 highest paid RTE presenters list in 2011 before her massive €491,770 pay packet was reduced to €295,000 this year, continues to lose listeners on both her Saturday and Sunday current-affairs shows, according to the Joint National Listenership Research (JNLR) figures released yesterday.

Her Sunday programme lost 14,000 listeners between this month and last January following a loss of 20,000 listeners on the same show between last October and January.

Her Saturday show is also down 5,000 listeners from January following a massive loss of 25,000 listeners between January and the previous October.

http://www.independent.ie/woman/celeb-news/rtes-golden-girls-losing-listeners-but-2fms-pulling-them-in-29223247.html

Definitely the Sunday show must surely rank as the laziest production on Radio.

And as for Miriam Meets ... an hour of amazings, so sweets, so touchings & so emotionals etc etc. :eek:

That said I really enjoyed last Sundays show with Kevin McAleer & his wife but with Kevin there Miriam was entirely surplus.
    Apologies for going off topic there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Marian has lost 73,000 listeners on a Sunday over the course of a year, and 27,000 on a Saturday. If that doesn't tell RTE management that she's becoming a liability, then I don't know what will. When her contract comes up for renewal, I think it should be goodbye Marian. 73,000 turned off by the turgid nonsense of her Sunday program "So Mr. or Ms. Overpaid, tell the little people out there how they should just be getting on with things"

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/listeners-increasingly-tuning-out-of-rt%C3%A9-s-weekend-radio-shows-1.1373198

Cough, cough, splutter, splutter. butt-in, cut off the speaker at the important point.
    Same old guests by and large who say the right things and don't rock the boat.

Any wonder people have stopped listening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

And as for Miriam Meets ... an hour of amazings, so sweets, so touchings & so emotionals etc etc. :eek:

Ah Callan, how could you forget 'gen-u-inely' ;):D

Great interview with Paul Kimmage.. I'd say Stephen Roche had the radio on, on the bike this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

She was about two weeks late to party - Newstalk had him on the 9-10 slot if I remember right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Peter Matthews not making much sense this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

He is a bit shook after Dunphy went for him in the first minute

Is this the same Marian Finucane show who ignored the Michael Lowry tapes and now gives headline prominence to the labour TD tapes (which only confirm what we all knew) ??

Only 10 minutes spent on the economy.....

Maybe we could give the Bangladeshi's a few tips on regulation.. Maybe send out the guys in the council who oversaw Priory Hall?

The second half of Marian's show is a complete snoozefest...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

if anything todays episode showed me just how much i miss dunphy on the radio. no matter what ya think of him he provided riviting radio. that was the first finucane show in ages to actually get a bit edgy.

me thinks marion just had her replacement on

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Yes Eamon was on fire today:D

Layinghen wrote: »
    Yes Eamon was on fire today:D

Disgaree on that - he was being sensationalist - would have been better staying quiet and letting Peter Matthews dig a very deep hole for himself.

As already said the second half of the show was a snoozefest - is the non-coverage of Irish stories the reaction to the week in politics starting on TV at 12 ? - if it is its fairly short sighted in my view.

And yes Marian did say 'things not looking good in Italy' completely unaware that the formation of a government had been agreed......if only there was a studio cam to see the contributors reaction !

Sorry what I meant by being on fire was that he livened up the programme. His style is combative to put it mildly and even though it wasn't great journalism at least for the first time in ages it was good to listen to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Great interview with Paul Kimmage.. I'd say Stephen Roche had the radio on, on the bike this morning.

It was different from the sort of piece Kimmage has done many times on OTB, but equally good.

He got very choked up at one point where he was asked what Roche's problem with the Rough Ride book was, given they had been childhood friends etc. Kimmage said something like "...... he thought I betrayed him ........", with a quiver in his voice then 5 seconds silence.

Marion did the right thing by just shutting up. It was powerfull radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 TheSpeaker

if anything todays episode showed me just how much i miss dunphy on the radio. no matter what ya think of him he provided riviting radio. that was the first finucane show in ages to actually get a bit edgy.

me thinks marion just had her replacement on

:D

Was anyone else annoyed how he was off mic for a lot the time. His voice was lower than everyone else on the panel yet no effort seemed to be made to bring him closer to the mic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Dunphy is a breath of fresh air on the Marian Finucane Show. Whether or not you agree with him, he livens up an otherwise anodyne programme. I'd given up listening to Marian's Sunday morning show but I'd definitely be tuning in every week if Eamon Dunphy was on the panel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 Eunan Plumb

TheSpeaker wrote: »
    Was anyone else annoyed how he was off mic for a lot the time. His voice was lower than everyone else on the panel yet no effort seemed to be made to bring him closer to the mic.

Would agree ...Dunphy is far superior

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Just caught the last part of the Shay Healy tribute. I like Shay Healy but I absolutely hate these "tribute" shows. A lot of people telling totally uninteresting stories and pointless mutual backslapping. Everyone sounds so superficial. Also, you never hear any bad stuff even though there must be some; we all have our skeletons. Nobody could enjoy being the subject of one of these shows unless they are supremely egotistical.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Just caught the last part of the Shay Healy tribute. I like Shay Healy but I absolutely hate these "tribute" shows. A lot of people telling totally uninteresting stories and pointless mutual backslapping. Everyone sounds so superficial. Also, you never hear any bad stuff even though there must be some; we all have our skeletons. Nobody could enjoy being the subject of one of these shows unless they are supremely egotistical.

Agree completly & I love Shay too but these shows are just embarrassing for everyone.

Enjoyed the Douglas Kennedy interview ... love his books.

Agree with the above.. I too, like Shay Healy, but all the backslapping and "you're a great lad" followed by "ah no, but you're a great lad as well" gets a bit nauseating after a while.. Shay looked really sick on the TV the last time I saw him.. Horrible affliction that has befallen him.

Paul Williams is one painful self-publicist :eek:

Paul Williams is one painful self-publicist :eek:

Yea, and he thinks its ok for guards to quash penalty points for their friends and neighbours and for himself, of course. He didn't explain how he got 10 penalty points. There is no single offence for which you can get that many points except drink driving. He worse that a self-publicist, he is a hypocrite.

• Advertisement

Gerald Keane is actually talking sense for once ... MLOD busy making sure she keeps her cushy little number.

Poor show today - when the reasoning for keeping the Seanad is that its a cultural institute you know you are in trouble......though at least avoiding the 'a' word

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

another repeat of oliver callan clip from drivetime show. only a short clip but something new please ..........

I don't think Callan Kicks is going to rock much ... where is The Savage Eye?:mad:

Col Tobin's play nominated for loads of awards but is closing after 2 weeks!. The reason being its a load of pretentious rubbish.

Col Tobin's play nominated for loads of awards but is closing after 2 weeks!. The reason being its a load of pretentious rubbish.

I read the book which I really liked & it seems to me to be a very interesting & attractive take on the character of Mary - I'd imagine Fiona Shaw would be absolutely brilliant in the role.

• Advertisement

Tuned out early today MLODs bickering with Gerald Keane was doing my head in.

Layinghen wrote: »
    Tuned out early today MLODs bickering with Gerald Keane was doing my head in.

Normally I can't take MLOD but she was somewhat subdued (for her) today .. perhaps Marion had her muzzled. She failed miserably when asked what she actually did in the Seanad though ... apparently she does what we all though she did - NOTHING :D

MLOD's argument for the Seanad were very feeble.. This whole argument that "we're there as quality assurance for any legislation being passed"... Of course she leaves out the fact that many of the members of the Seanad, including herself, are hand picked by the political parties. They have no objectivity, and are unlikely to say or do anything that would lose them their ticket on the gravy train..

I was very disappointed in Enda Kenny. He said he would give people a vote on the Seanad, and the first thing he did when he was elected Taoiseach was to give that foghorn a 70k job in there..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mattser

I don't think Callan Kicks is going to rock much ... where is The Savage Eye?:mad:

Where it belongs. Consigned to history.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Yea, and he thinks its ok for guards to quash penalty points for their friends and neighbours and for himself, of course. He didn't explain how he got 10 penalty points. There is no single offence for which you can get that many points except drink driving. He worse that a self-publicist, he is a hypocrite.

Not to mention his entire career depends on leaks from the gardai.

Something which in and of itself is illegal .

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement