Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

That weather presenter sounded like she was about to burst into a fit of laughter throughout the report !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,562 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Lapin wrote: »
    That weather presenter sounded like she was about to burst into a fit of laughter throughout the report !

Over-excited at the thrill of presenting a half-reasonable forecast for the first time in about a year. Who could blame her!

Can we start a petition to keep Áine?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Lapin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Depends. How much does she charge for 4 hours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,562 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

snubbleste wrote: »
    Depends. How much does she charge for 4 hours?

I don't care!!!

I have been a big fan of Marian's for many years - I'm old enough to remember when she hosted Liveline and it was a fantastic, interesting, current-affairs, topical, LISTENABLE show. Not the execrable* drivel that Joe has made it these days. She was an ace broadcaster in her day.

But fan though I am, even I have stopped listening to the weekend magazine programme when she's hosting.

It's a shocking waste of two prime hours on a weekend days, and as far as I'm concerned the likes of Áine can charge what she likes if she makes that programme what it could be once again.

*always wanted to use that word!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Time to ditch Marian at this stage. Give the Saturday programme to Aine Lawlor and Rachel English on a rotational basis, and give Eamon Dunphy the Sunday morning slot. He would've made mincemeat of Joan Burton this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

I'm pained at the thought of ED getting paid Marian's rates though.......

No-one is worth that.

Even for a fillet of Joan "VIIIIIIINNNNNCCCENTTTT" Burton. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Lapin wrote: »

It sounded like someone was tickling her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Can we sign one to move her on??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

DownBeaten wrote: »
    ... until they brought our own pretend Terry Wogan. The guy with the comprehensive knowledge of bad pop musak. And he's the same guy who presents a morning programme on what was once an arts station.

That Euro piece was dire alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭bureau2009

DownBeaten wrote: »
    ... until they brought our own pretend Terry Wogan. The guy with the comprehensive knowledge of bad pop musak. And he's the same guy who presents a morning programme on what was once an arts station.
    Don't get me started...........:mad: :( :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Can we start a petition to find Marian? Not that I want her anywhere near the radio but I'm worried for her safety! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭bureau2009

mike65 wrote: »
    Can we start a petition to find Marian? Not that I want her anywhere near the radio but I'm worried for her safety! :p
    You will find it extremely difficult to track down Marian because SHE LIVES IN A DIFFERENT WORLD to the rest of us.

Unfortunately this has never stopped her trying to be the voice of the ordinary people of Ireland, something other broadcasters could do with much greater credibility and sincerity, and at a fraction of the exorbitant cost of her contract with RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

IS this an interview with the bearded one or an ad?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Is this an interview with the bearded one or an ad?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

How many times did study guy say "have a question"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

If you're stressed about exams the first thing you should do is stop listening to or watching RTE. This annual blanket coverage is ridiculous: we'll have it now on every programme until the end of June & that will be on top of the Irish Times & the Indo flogging it to death aswell as the mammies on to Joe Duffy, then the daily postmortems on The News at One & again on Drivetimes, then again on the 6pm and 9pm news.

Just shut up about exams & let the unfortunate kids get on with it without adding further stress to them. Not once in my life has anyone ever asked me what I got in the Leaving. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Callan57 wrote: »
    Just shut up about exams & let the unfortunate kids get on with it without adding further stress to them. Not once in my life has anyone ever asked me what I got in the Leaving. :mad:

Callan, how did you get on in the Leaving Certificate? ;):P

Sorry, I couldn't resist :D

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Callan, how did you get on in the Leaving Certificate? ;):P

Modesty prevents me answering your question Mrs007 :D

Colm McCarthy is a national treasure - I love the way he can cut to the heart of the matter & side swipe the bullsh1t.

Some female speaker: "I'm sure many of us around the table have Apple products"

• Advertisement

Namawinelake gets a mention on Radio1 :eek:

Marian is hilarious "Everybody is heading off now ... " really? Everybody expect the "real" workers that is! :mad:

Anyone reckon Marion could complete a breath test? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

The contempt that Marian has for Oliver Callan and "THAT show" taking 3 mins of her show is palpable.

The contempt that Marian has for Oliver Callan and "THAT show" taking 3 mins of her show is palpable.

The contempt I have is for a pathetic effort at comedy - surely RTE can do a bit better than that Callan effort :rolleyes:

Callan57 wrote: »
    The contempt I have is for a pathetic effort at comedy - surely RTE can do a bit better than that Callan effort :rolleyes:

I think it's more the fact that she'd be out of the studio at 12.50, instead of 12.53, if she didnt have to play the promo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

snubbleste wrote: »
    Some female speaker: "I'm sure many of us around the table have Apple products"
    Is that the wan that was complaining about Apple charging more for their products in Ireland than anywhere else. If this is true, it is only because there are more idiots in Ireland like her who will buy them.:confused:

This show is sponsored by Benson&Hedges

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Is that the wan that was complaining about Apple charging more for their products in Ireland than anywhere else.

Well the one thing I dont understand about this whole Apple debate, is that Tesco dont even publish their profits from this country.. How on earth is that even ALLOWED? At least we know what Apple make..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Well the one thing I dont understand about this whole Apple debate, is that Tesco dont even publish their profits from this country.. How on earth is that even ALLOWED? At least we know what Apple make..

Dunnes Stores don't publish their sales or profit details either....

Switched over to TodayFM after first half hour - only so much of Colm Cartney /Joe O'Toole etc that anyone can take

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

Don't normally listen to Marian, but downloaded a podcast of an item on Richard Wagner from last weekend.

Link: http://podcast.rasset.ie/podcasts/audio/2013/0525/20130525_rteradio1-marianfinucane-wagners200_c20206036_20206048_232_.mp3

It was such a superficial item, and there was an embarrassing point when they were talking about how erotically charged Wagner's music could be, and the music choice they played was the "Bridal Chorus" from Lohengrin. Not even an excerpt from the opera (which would certainly be somewhat sensual), but the tune played on a church organ(!), probably from a CD of wedding music some junior researcher found and though "ah, sure that'll do", and about as un-erotic as you could get.

ahhh.. wrong thread.

Nope... I still dont like RBB..

Ah God enough of this touchy feely ****e.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Horrendous. Turned off. It didn't last five minutes today. Starting with her news about "Prince Harry" and her incessant obsession with talking about things British (I can turn on the BBC myself, if I want that, thank you very much), she then introduced her guests; same guests, different day. Conor Pope talking about being a "celebrity" on "Celebrity Chef"....

It's all just so tabloid, so pathetic, so Sunday Independent in its style and the superficial culture it wants to promote. No depth. No enlightenment. No learning and a sameness which could only entertain the most dim of minds. It's about the same cliques spouting the same vacuous, inane, consensus-creating, rightwing-leaning drivel. And being paid from our licence fee to make their appearances on her show.

In the middle of a recession this woman, Marian Finucane, who has set up a company to reduce her tax liability to our state, made a profit of €791,000 last year from her position in RTÉ. Disgusting. There are plenty of other egomaniacs who could do that job for less than €100,000 per annum and get the same listenership. There is no rational reason for her to be paid more than €100k per year. None. At all. None.

• Advertisement

Why do RTE always have to find the brother of some RTE staff member, who now lives in a foreign country, to ring back in and tell us how "things are done right over here".... Ask the chap does the national broadcaster in Sweden run a yearly deficit.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Why do RTE always have to find the brother of some RTE staff member, who now lives in a foreign country, to ring back in and tell us how "things are done right over here".... Ask the chap does the national broadcaster in Sweden run a yearly deficit.?
    I noticed she didn't ask him about the riots in Stockholm.:confused:

Rebelheart wrote: »
    In the middle of a recession this woman, Marian Finucane, who has set up a company to reduce her tax liability to our state, made a profit of €791,000 last year from her position in RTÉ.

That's about 35 years of working in a creche at 10 euros an hour... And Marian is attempting to empathise with the creche workers..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Rebelheart wrote: »
    In the middle of a recession this woman, Marian Finucane, who has set up a company to reduce her tax liability to our state, made a profit of €791,000 last year from her position in RTÉ....
    I think that Marian is overpaid for what she does, but she did not make a profit of €791k last year.

So Kevin Cullen drove right past Newstalk on his way from the airport to work in RTE this morning.. I wouldnt say NT are impressed..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

So Kevin Cullen drove right past Newstalk on his way from the airport to work in RTE this morning.. I wouldnt say NT are impressed..
    Was thinking the same thing myself. I'd expect him to be on NT tomorrow though - most likely the lunchtime programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Nope... I still dont like RBB..

me neither, didn't warm to him at all

Just listening back to the show on the bike.. I missed the start cos of well, sleep. They spent the whole first hour on childcare!! Why on Earth did they ask the actor in ??? I also think it's completely pointless bringing in people who work in the childminding sector to tell us about how great they are, how great their staff are, how many qualifications they've had etc etc... "I decided there was no point in me doing this unless I was going to be the best at it" ... Dear god..

I think most of the problems would be sorted out by making CCTVs mandatory, give access to the parents.. And the Government bodies should then be given inspection rights for both the cameras and the site.. People need to think that they will get away with something bad before they will attempt it, and by having cameras constantly monitoring them they will feel like they are always under inspection..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭donaghs

Has Marion not gone on the long holidays yet? (as opposed to not showing up on the odd weekend)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Probably with the cut in salary she has had to make some cutbacks:D

Goodness only knows how she is scrapping by these days.

Today's message. Make sure and hide your mental illness cos you'll get fired.. Joe Duffy wont be happy with this.

Clamp.jpg

That's the picture of the clamped vehicles from joe.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

God it's misery unbounded with Marge today, it's almost like Laaaaaaveline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Came in the middle.

Thought I was listening to Ken.

That hilarious (if you haven't been clamped), are they all culchie vehicles who don't know the parking restrictions?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement