Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I agree with Marian's rant about the clampers.

None of the cars parked in that image are causing an obstruction or a danger to anyone. It proves that clamping is nothing more than a cynical revenue generating exercise and has nothing to do with traffic management.

For people returning to their cars in good spitits after Ireland's win at Lansdowne Road it must have left them with a very sour taste. Its some welcome to Dublin.

Some will argue that rules are rules but surely some discression and common sense should have prevailed in this instance.

I question the mental stability of anyone who could sanction and carry out an act like this. It is a mean spirited, nasty and pernicious form of theft by extortion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Lapin wrote: »
    For people returning to their cars in good spitits after Ireland's win at Lansdowne Road it must have left them with a very sour taste. Its some welcome to Dublin.

I cant imagine the FAI are overly pleased with the clamping either... There were a huge amount of empty seats in the stadium last nite, and the council have certainly dissuaded ~20 more loyal supporters from attending future matches. Maybe John Delaney to stick his wallet behind the bar on this one as well.. Could be a nice publicity coup if the FAI identified who those supporters were, and pay the clamping costs for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

I agree with Marian's rant about the clampers.

None of the cars parked in that image are causing an obstruction or a danger to anyone. It proves that clamping is nothing more than a cynical revenue generating exercise and has nothing to do with traffic management.

Some will argue that rules are rules but surely some discression and common sense should have prevailed in this instance.

I question the mental stability of anyone who could sanction and carry out an act like this. It is a mean spirited, nasty and pernicious form of theft by extortion.

Good Lord I thought it was Michael Healy Rae I was listening to this morning ... so Marian thinks we should have "discretion" in what parking rules we obey & Healy Rae wants drinkers to have "discretion" in what drink driving rules they obey. Poor old Marian has a lot bothering her on a Sat morning or maybe she was a recent victim of the clampers .... EUR80.00 could put a big dent in the old profit margin right enough. :rolleyes:

Enjoyed the interview with Ruby Wax although I still don't understand what on earth mindfulness means. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Callan57 wrote: »
    Enjoyed the interview with Ruby Wax although I still don't understand what on earth mindfulness means. :confused:

Mindfulness is one the avalanche of needless or makey uppey words like virtuosity, transportation, ironical. There are scores of the feckers out there. I'm sure Edmund Blackadder is still alive because of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dionysius2

I cant imagine the FAI are overly pleased with the clamping either... There were a huge amount of empty seats in the stadium last nite, and the council have certainly dissuaded ~20 more loyal supporters from attending future matches. Maybe John Delaney to stick his wallet behind the bar on this one as well.. Could be a nice publicity coup if the FAI identified who those supporters were, and pay the clamping costs for them.

The whole thing is a dastardly but necessary plot to drive the great unwashed out of Dublin 4. After all D4 natives live within legal parameters and observe unfailingly the strictures of our parliament. Those deemed proficient in regard to sanction distribution have never had much difficulty in enforcing traffic management regulations in D4 and its environs. It's those darned blowins with their cheap Jap imports and those uncouth rustic bumpkins who mess it up for the natives.

If we could only retain D4 for those worthy souls who have earned the right to live there and let the lawless ones return to their lives of sleeping under bridges and in stairwells then the proper balance will have been restored to the metropolis and D4 will again become a place of tranquility and stress free traffic management.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

In the last half an hour she has tagged on the vacuous phrase "so to speak" at the end of a sentence at least three times.

Duffy has become another prolific user of this term in recent months.

What the hell does it mean ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

In the last half an hour she has tagged on the vacuous phrase "so to speak" at the end of a sentence at least three times.

Lack of conviction.

A bugbear of mine for a long time :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

At least she hasn't said "And whatever you're having yourself" and "Uncle Tom Cobley" for a while. We should be thankful for small mercies ;)

• Advertisement

At least she hasn't said "And whatever you're having yourself" and "Uncle Tom Cobley" for a while. We should be thankful for small mercies ;)

"Now, sitting across the desk from me is.... "

Well the audience kind of presume that you dont carry out the interview with the guest nailed to a crucifix on the RTE front lawn..

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dionysius2

Marion's daftest comment tho' has to be when she says "Come here to me a minute".....when she is speaking to someone on the telephone!
    The mind boggles.

Did Donnacha show them the one with the ducks.. They would have loved that.

Her ever more exaggerated breathless speaking voy-IIIIIIIIIIICE is really making her programme quite impossible to listen to.

"And all that jazz"..

We havent had that classic for a while..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

mike65 wrote: »
    Her ever more exaggerated breathless speaking voy-IIIIIIIIIIICE is really making her programme quite impossible to listen to.

Yeah. Mooney does it as well. They seem to pick one word in a sentence and oooooooooover emphasiiiiiiiiiiiiiise it.

• Advertisement

Brendan Keenan and Terry Prone.. ? It's gonna be difficult to stay tuned in for the next two hours..

There should be a disclaimer any time Keenan is on. Given that he speaks with such authority on financial issues, people should be aware of just how little he actually knows..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

FFS Terry Prone - no mention of being the PR advisor to the health minister.
    Prone currently complaining about Diageo spinning stories !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Brendan Keenan and Terry Prone.. ? It's gonna be difficult to stay tuned in for the next two hours..

There should be a disclaimer any time Keenan is on. Given that he speaks with such authority on financial issues, people should be aware of just how little he actually knows..

He's still there at the back of the Sindo's business supplement every week.
    And your friend Jim Power is with the SBP now.

Might see what Shane Coleman is talking about.

I'm listening to TMS and there isn't any cricket being played!

I thought Peader would have been able to get his diesel on the cheap?

• Advertisement

Spending waaaay too long on this segment... "Oh an Putin likes the gym"... move on...

Still get the impression that Marian really doesnt like Oliver Callan's Kicks..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Dan Dare

mike65 wrote: »
    I'm listening to TMS and there isn't any cricket being played!

That Geoffrey Boycott is a card!

I still can't get my head around why these right wingers think that anything impacting the socalled "unborn" is a moral issue but issues that seriously and detrimentally impact the lives of the BORN are not. Surely a case of a very flexible definition of morality.

Brendan Keenan always comes across to me as a young fellow at the back of the class who hasn't done his homework and is desperately trying to bluff it.
    I am not convinced he actually understands what he's talking about.

While I agree Diageo have a cheek, Terry Prone getting on her high horse about spinning is surely the ultimate in brass neck?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Boring show today. Boring boring boring. Marian could phone it in at this stage and just let Prone and Keenan yap away to their hearts' content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

While I agree Diageo have a cheek, Terry Prone getting on her high horse about spinning is surely the ultimate in brass neck?
    Obviously TP's problem is that Diageo aren't clients of hers. Now, if only they were she'd teach them how to do it properly ... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭donaghs

When Marion has been rustling through the papers in recent weeks, has she noticed or made any mention of the Greek state TV closure? Certainly topical considering how RTE manage their budget.

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/greek-state-tv-closes-to-save-money-29337262.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Moving swiftly on from sycophantic week of grovelling to our american benefactors....to Guantanamo bay.

I wondered what that droning noise was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

the slobbering continues.........

Paul Williams :(

farewell any chance of meaningful explanations or analysis, hello breathless hype and over-simplification

• Advertisement

Just as I type that

"Have you been doing a crash course in banking yourself Paul?"

"No Marion - I'm still clueless but some eejits with insufficient egos in comparision to mine in the Indo know stuff"

This tripe is very very annoying .... there were people who were well aware that the "boom" could not & would not go on booming. I heard loads of people expressing the view that property prices were totally ridiculous and would collapse - it was just a question of when. But, of course, these were just ordinary joes and josephines not the overpaid, so-called educated know-it-all D4 yokels.
    Thankfully personally I listened to one of those ordinary Joes otherwise I would be one of those in negative equity now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

The guy on now justifying the guarantee is not terribly convincing, if Marion was a tad more pushy I'm sure he'd collapse into a pool of his own muck.
    (I think he's an ex-IMFer, he's definitely Mr We All Partied)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

This tripe is very very annoying .... there were people who were well aware that the "boom" could not & would not go on booming. I heard loads of people expressing the view that property prices were totally ridiculous and would collapse - it was just a question of when. But, of course, these were just ordinary joes and josephines not the overpaid, so-called educated know-it-all D4 yokels.
    Thankfully personally I listened to one of those ordinary Joes otherwise I would be one of those in negative equity now.

Snap.
    If I had listened to Official Ireland, I'd be totally fcked as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Snap.
    If I had listened to Official Ireland, I'd be totally fcked as well.

Me too, thank goodness i didn`t listen either to Mammy O`Rourke when she tried to sell me some eircom shares..

Interesting that he thinks "there is no smoking gun, nothing else to come out" .... I do not believe that for one minute. Maybe he knew but the vast majority of the country did not know about the existence of this weeks Indo tapes until this week .... so it begs the question what else is there that we do not know about?
    I can't get away from the feeling this guy is another one of the golden circle and even now is hell bent on waffling out excuses & giving cover to his mates.

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me what the well paid AUDITORS of the banks were doing and why they didn't see, or choose not to see, the threats to the banks. Were they blind, stupid, browbeaten, incompetent or just plain bought off? And what actual use are AUDITORS?

Establishment line 2006: Boom is getting boomier
    Establishment line 2013: No one is guility / we're all guilty

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me what the well paid AUDITORS of the banks were doing and why they didn't see, or choose not to see, the threats to the banks.

I was making the same point to a friend yesterday..
    - The bankers have all fkd off with their money,
    - The auditors gave us audits of the banks that had no resemblance of the truth yet, yet there has been no questioning of them... and they are STILL being employed by the State,
    - The politicians are all on big pensions and keeping their mouths shut
    - The public servants who worked in the Central Bank and Department of Finance all still have their jobs. Well except those that were promoted.

And this one really gets me.

- The so called economic experts..Brendan Keenan, Jim Power, Austin Hughes etc etc... who came on radio/tv panel shows saying there was no problem with banks (aside from liquidity), are STILL being asked to come on panels.. They are either incompetent or they lied for self serving reasons, but either way it is irresponsible in the extreme for them to be portrayed as independent economists and allowed airtime to influence people in their finances...

So in effect, nobody is responsible, and they are all still getting paid. The country will learn nothing unless some people are punished and punished seriously.. In Ireland if you bring in a load of garlic from China you get jailed, but if you bankrupt a country you get a State pension..

(sorry, my posts just seems to be getting longer and longer.. )

Jesus that guy on the radio now must have been reading my post..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Gergiev

Establishment line 2006: Boom is getting boomier
    Establishment line 2013: No one is guility / we're all guilty

Can't top that for succinct analysis, so I'll just stay quiet...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

marion defending her mates again i see

"despite sounding so relaxed they mustve been terrified"

base on what marion?

cause all i heard was a bunch of knobs laughing at us .

Why is that American journo on acting as David Drumm's defence attorney?

hear that ?

thats martin manseragh running like fuk from that question !

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Because Sheehan is acting as a prosecutor?

Mansergh - the latest in FFers to squirm "I didn't know anything, I wasn't in the building".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Yakuza wrote: »
    Because Sheehan is acting as a prosecutor?
    Good point. Sheehan has the easier job.
    Mansergh - the latest in FFers to squirm "I didn't know anything, I wasn't in the building".
    I find it easy enough to believe that Mansergh didn't know. I accept that he has some talents, but I can't see him getting his head around the banking crisis as it was emerging.

• Advertisement

marion asks about people being doners to FF and manseragh goes on about the seperation of church and state.

did i miss something ?

Why does she get so many people in the studio, and then never allow them to contribute.. After about twenty minutes of staying quiet, that Martin chap (not Manseragh, the other Martin) tried to make a point about the bank crash and Marian then said "we'll talk about that later, but I have to take a break. But BEFORE I go to the break.. " and then proceeded to put a question to Fionnan Sheehan... I would have just walked out if I was yer man..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Why does she get so many people in the studio, and then never allow them to contribute.. After about twenty minutes of staying quiet, that Martin chap (not Manseragh, the other Martin) tried to make a point about the bank crash and Marian then said "we'll talk about that later, but I have to take a break. But BEFORE I go to the break.. " and then proceeded to put a question to Fionnan Sheehan... I would have just walked out if I was yer man..

I noticed that too. I reckon someone had a word in her earpiece and told her to drop it like a hot spud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

While her pay is crazy, last nights documentary "Nuala" showed how good Marian is at interviewing. Despite being incredibly sad, it was a wonderful programme. Well done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

It was a great programme alright. I know radio and TV are different in many respects and the subject matter was unique but it was wonderful alright.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement