Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Marcusm wrote: »
    It's hilarious that Pat Kenny was her mentor and that he's older than her; he comes cross as at least 10 years younger than her. The sunglasses are smashing. I have no idea if she has eye problems but even then I'd have chosen something less bizarre. It's a bit Bono-like.

The sunglasses in a restaurant do look pretentious, indeed down right silly. Clearly a lovey lovey interview & obviously only agreed to on the basis that no hard questions would be asked. Glad I didn't waste my money buying the paper to read that bit of tripe. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Callan57 wrote: »
    The sunglasses in a restaurant do look pretentious, indeed down right silly. Clearly a lovey lovey interview & obviously only agreed to on the basis that no hard questions would be asked. Glad I didn't waste my money buying the paper to read that bit of tripe. :mad:

People wear sunglasses in pictures for all sorts of reasons - bags under their eyes, hangover, eye infection etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭georgesstreet

On Sunday I got into my car, the time on the clock said 11.27 and the radio came on – it was Maureen Gaffney in full flight. When I ended my short journey, it said 11.34 and still Maureen Gaffney was still in full flight, without interruption, and seems to have taken over the Marian’s show.

What has happened to Marian – her show used to have on interesting guests ( Maureen Gaffney is like so many bores in that she just wants to talk talk talk, and says in 10 minutes what a normal person might say in one minute). Not only is the show a shadow of its former self, but Marian seems disinterested, or at least less interested, and seems unable to stop this sort of a guest monopolising the show and boring the audience.

I used to like Irish Sunday morning radio, but nowadays it's a poor imitation of what was.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I think I need to borrow Marian's sunglasses to read that post ^^^^.

On Sunday I got into my car, the time on the clock said 11.27 and the radio came on – it was Maureen Gaffney in full flight. When I ended my short journey, it said 11.34 and still Maureen Gaffney was still in full flight, without interruption, and seems to have taken over the Marian’s show.

What has happened to Marian – her show used to have on interesting guests ( Maureen Gaffney is like so many bores in that she just wants to talk talk talk, and says in 10 minutes what a normal person might say in one minute). Not only is the show a shadow of its former self, but Marian seems disinterested, or at least less interested, and seems unable to stop this sort of a guest monopolising the show and boring the audience.

I used to like Irish Sunday morning radio, but nowadays it's a poor imitation of what was.

Couldn't agree more. It's a sad, sad imitation right enough.
    Marian really should have packed it in ages ago, at this stage she has neither the interest nor the commitment - at least that's how it comes across to this long time listener (& I'm rapidly loosing interest too).
    Give Rachel English the slot for God's sake

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 PercyBlakeney

Couldn't agree more. It's a sad, sad imitation right enough.
    Marian really should have packed it in ages ago, at this stage she has neither the interest nor the commitment - at least that's how it comes across to this long time listener (& I'm rapidly loosing interest too).
    Give Rachel English the slot for God's sake

Actually, the "buggins turn" approach by RTE is one reason why the station is so poor. I'd think it better if RTE could actually find somone new, and not just those waiting in line for their "turn".

Actually, the "buggins turn" approach by RTE is one reason why the station is so poor. I'd think it better if RTE could actually find somone new, and not just those waiting in line for their "turn".

I would agree with you but just saying of the current crop Rachel is the very best IMO. Drivetime has gone downhill since she left it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭bureau2009

sligojoek wrote: »

So this is the self promotion piece, done on the basis that there would be no discussion of her salary.............:mad:

Given that she seems to be the highest paid radio presenter in the known UNIVERSE (let alone a small bankrupt country) I look foward to a REAL journalist exploring ALL issues relating to Marion Finucane and giving her, and her salary the FULL exposure and scrutiny that it deserves.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 PercyBlakeney

bureau2009 wrote: »
    I look foward to a REAL journalist exploring ALL issues relating to Marion Finucane and giving her, and her salary the FULL exposure and scrutiny that it deserves.

Actually, what I look forward to is the Irish Government taxing every household for a tv Tax, and then all the non RTE stations clubbing together and taking a case to the EU competition authority for a ruling that its unfair competition to give taxpayers money to only one broadcaster.

While it's a licence, then there is a weaker case to be made as a licence is something one pays for voluntarily. However, a tax is different insofar as its compulsory and not voluntary, and as such it is the government paying taxpayers money to one broadcaster, and not collecting a voluntary license fee.

Its not acceptable for the government to give taxpayers money to Aer lingus and not Ryan Air, and so why it will be accepyable to give taxpayers money to RTE and not TV3 or Newstalk will make a very interesting case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

Actually, what I look forward to is the Irish Government taxing every household for a tv Tax, and then all the non RTE stations clubbing together and taking a case to the EU competition authority for a ruling that its unfair competition to give taxpayers money to only one broadcaster.

While it's a licence, then there is a weaker case to be made as a licence is something one pays for voluntarily. However, a tax is different insofar as its compulsory and not voluntary, and as such it is the government paying taxpayers money to one broadcaster, and not collecting a voluntary license fee.

... why it will be accepyable to give taxpayers money to RTE and not TV3 or Newstalk will make a very interesting case.
    I'd agree - I think it would make quite a good case if it happens ... the outcome could be something along the lines of all the money goes to the BAI and they dole it out ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Was waiting for someone to comment on the sunnies-reminded me of a mafia pic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

She had advance notice of the latest jnlr figures , down 20 % on Sunday, her eyes were all puffy after crying all the way to the bank!

Oops69 wrote: »
    She had advance notice of the latest jnlr figures , down 20 % on Sunday, her eyes were all puffy after crying all the way to the bank!

That explains it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

I didn't think dogs sniffed out cancer unless they were specifically trained to do so. :confused:

• Advertisement

Just listening to the interview with Stephen Donnelly ... can't help feeling this is all somewhat implausable, an awful lot of revisionism IMHO. First time I've ever felt he is another first class bullsh1tter - I quite simply do not believe him.

Just listening to the interview with Stephen Donnelly ... can't help feeling this is all somewhat implausable, an awful lot of revisionism IMHO. First time I've ever felt he is another first class bullsh1tter - I quite simply do not believe him.

I've never heard of Stephen Donnelly - from the way you spell his name I am guessing he is Irish. When I don't know a "celebrity" I usually find he is either a TV soap star or a footballer. Is he either?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Same here. Came across as a bit of a spoofer today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Same here. Came across as a bit of a spoofer today.

Classic 'hurler on the ditch' is Mr Donnelly. He comes across as an egotistical know-all, the type who know how everything should be done until he actually has to do something. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

honeybear wrote: »

Apart from the murder (enter through blood leave through blood) the only two conditions about joining the Sicilian Cosa Nostra is that you're a full blooded Italian and a male.

People who don't fit these parameters look like nobs when they wear shades indoors.

DP

I don't know what happened but I managed to triple post somehow..

What's with all the desk thumping?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Apart from the murder (enter through blood leave through blood) the only two conditions about joining the Sicilian Cosa Nostra is that you're a full blooded Italian and a male.

People who don't fit these parameters look like nobs when they wear shades indoors.
    I honestly wasn't intending to cause offence but I just thought the sunnies indoors looked ridiculous. Tbh, I think Marion is an excellent broadcaster-I always tune in. Her salary in proportion to her hours on air are crazy, though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

of course there is
    of course there is
    of course there is
    of course there is

Jeez would'nt like to argue with him

snubbleste wrote: »
    of course there is
    of course there is
    of course there is
    of course there is

Jeez would'nt like to argue with him

Then don't. No one can force you to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

The 20% decline mentioned earlier in Finucane's listenership figures gave me an idea: this weekend, I refused to turn on the radio to RTÉ Radio 1 when she was on. It was a better quality weekend not having to hear that woman and think of her RTÉ salary of €500k plus (her company was paid over €700,000) with each syllable she uttered on this RTÉ radio show, her part-time job.

Rebelheart wrote: »
    The 20% decline mentioned earlier in Finucane's listenership figures gave me an idea: this weekend, I refused to turn on the radio to RTÉ Radio 1 when she was on. It was a better quality weekend not having to hear that woman and think of her RTÉ salary of €500k plus (her company was paid over €700,000) with each syllable she uttered on this RTÉ radio show, her part-time job.

Yes, but just think if you don't listen to her show you will then be denied your vicarious pleasure of being able to rush here to give us yoru exciting views on it, and her, and tell us all how dreadful it all is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

Yes, but just think if you don't listen to her show you will then be denied your vicarious pleasure of being able to rush here to give us yoru exciting views on it, and her, and tell us all how dreadful it all is!
    And if you don't read this forum then you will be denied the pleasure of rushing here to give us your exciting views on other posters comments!

• Advertisement

serfboard wrote: »
    And if you don't read this forum then you will be denied the pleasure of rushing here to give us your exciting views on other posters comments!

I am not so conceited that I assume anyone wants to know my views, which is why I rarely give them. To make an observation is not a view.

For example, "It was a better quality weekend not having to hear that woman" is a view. To comment that the person holding that view seems to enjoy giving it is an observation and not a view. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Well, she's certainly dreadfully expensive!

Possibly the most expensive radio presenter in the history of the universe!

And it's dreadful to think that RTE, our national broadcaster, thinks it's okay to fork out an exorbitant sum of money to a part-time radio presenter in a tiny, bankrupt country.

Her salary is more scandalous that that of any banker. :mad:

bureau2009 wrote: »
    Well, she's certainly dreadfully expensive!

Possibly the most expensive radio presenter in the history of the universe!

And it's dreadful to think that RTE, our national broadcaster, thinks it's okay to fork out an exorbitant sum of money to a part-time radio presenter in a tiny, bankrupt country.

Her salary is more scandalous that that of any banker. :mad:

I think even she would agree with you on that one. She broadcasts 4 hours a week for probably 40 weeks a year. personally, I think when I hear her show now it's gone downhill, and rarely listen anymore. I am still reeling from hearing that dreadful maureen gaffney talk and talk and talk and talk and say nothing at all, last week. And, marian let her!!

I think even she would agree with you on that one. She broadcasts 4 hours a week for probably 40 weeks a year. personally, I think when I hear her show now it's gone downhill, and rarely listen anymore. I am still reeling from hearing that dreadful maureen gaffney talk and talk and talk and talk and say nothing at all, last week. And, marian let her!!

Of course Marian let her. It means there's even less work for her to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

40 weeks? I'd imagine it's quite a bit less than that.

I honestly wasn't intending to cause offence but I just thought the sunnies indoors looked ridiculous. Tbh, I think Marion is an excellent broadcaster-I always tune in. Her salary in proportion to her hours on air are crazy, though!

IMO was a great broadcaster but has certainly gone way down hill of late - quite clearly she has little interest in the prog. and very little research done. Why RTE pay the rate she is paid for baseically reading out the headlines of the papers on Sat & Sun is beyond my understanding. They should take their courage in their hands & let her go the way of PK ... the sky didn't fall in when he left & it won't when Marian goes either.
    The prog really needs new talent & to get away from the mutual admiration society of retired public servants, fellow journalists & has been politicians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭bossdrum

IMO was a great broadcaster but has certainly gone way down hill of late - quite clearly she has little interest in the prog. and very little research done. Why RTE pay the rate she is paid for baseically reading out the headlines of the papers on Sat & Sun is beyond my understanding. They should take their courage in their hands & let her go the way of PK ... the sky didn't fall in when he left & it won't when Marian goes either.
    The prog really needs new talent & to get away from the mutual admiration society of retired public servants, fellow journalists & has been politicians.

I think you'll find she does alot of research according to her recent interview in the sunday independent.:D

She does say that even though she is on air just two days a week, her job is virtually seven days. "You are constantly on, listening to radio, and keeping up with the news."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

bossdrum wrote: »
    I think you'll find she does alot of research according to her recent interview in the sunday independent.:D

She does say that even though she is on air just two days a week, her job is virtually seven days. "You are constantly on, listening to radio, and keeping up with the news."

I do that every day and I don't get paid for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,356 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Piers Morgan!

*radio off*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

Piers Morgan!

*radio off*[/quote
    swiitched on midway through the interview , what a pathetic sycophantic interview with a complete waste of space . As usual she didnt land a punch on the guy merely sucking up to and reinforcing his self inflated ego .
    She is the greatest argument in favour of complete overhaul of the license fee and the public service broadcasting model that we use in tbis country

Tremendous ego right enough ... but then he's a friend of Simon Cowell! :rolleyes:

He's an arrogant twerp but his book "The Insider" is a great read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 rollout

Did MF just say that some people were better off committing suicide?

rollout wrote: »
    Did MF just say that some people were better off committing suicide?

Yea but she meant in cold financial terms. Do insurance companies pay out life insurance in the case of suicide? I didn't think they did but maybe I've read way too many detective stories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Oh my god , really Marian time to get the message , stop the fags please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

Oops69 wrote: »
    Oh my god , really Marian time to get the message , stop the fags please!
    Might be better for those of us who pay her exorbitant wages if she didnt . Would probably be cheaper in the long run for us if each of us sent her a packet of Rothmans and told her to go for it !

This is some shock on a Sat morning ........ to find myself agreeing 100% with Michael O'Leary

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Yea but she meant in cold financial terms. Do insurance companies pay out life insurance in the case of suicide? I didn't think they did but maybe I've read way too many detective stories.

yup they do.

and for those that dont theres always the "Accident" in the car at 3am with no one else insight.

its bloody awfull how much of this is going on.

look at the priory hall case, terrible to say it but he's got his familys debts wrote off and forced the gov to write off everyone elses there with his suicide. (didnt stop the bank trying to get interests though)

its bloody awfull how much of this is going on.

look at the priory hall case, terrible to say it but he's got his familys debts wrote off and forced the gov to write off everyone elses there with his suicide. (didnt stop the bank trying to get interests though)

Ordinary people at the end of their tether while this man walks away scot-free from his debts :mad:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/mcnamara-walks-free-of-his-1bn-debts-29721961.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Ordinary people at the end of their tether while this man walks away scot-free from his debts :mad:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/mcnamara-walks-free-of-his-1bn-debts-29721961.html

That's berties best mate!

Its a great little country, bernard is now building airports in Nigeria!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement