Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Would it be a better programme if I, who never met Mandela, was invited in to say that I thought he was a great man, one I admired a lot?
    Yes. Of course it would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Absolute shower of sickeners on the show this morning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

They were invited to tell us about their personal recollections of Nelson Mandela. How can they answer without using the first person?

Would it be a better programme if I, who never met Mandela, was invited in to say that I thought he was a great man, one I admired a lot?

It certainly didn't stop joe duffy running a show for three weeks talking to people who had never met JFK talking about him!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

They were invited to tell us about their personal recollections of Nelson Mandela. How can they answer without using the first person?

No, they were low quality, narcissistic and poorly retold and of no significance other than to those that 'met' him.

Contrast with the story told by Cyril Ramaphosa on the News at One that followed, now that was interesting, historical, emotional and had quality

So, my point stands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

It certainly didn't stop joe duffy running a show for three weeks talking to people who had never met JFK talking about him!
    Is that the benchmark?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Is that the benchmark?

In RTE it is!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Marian Finucane €295,000

Part of a Irish Pictorial Weekly skit on the breakdown of your license fee

Hilarious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Rachel Allen's image used for a Dutch dating website ??

What was it www.signature-sandwich.nl ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Isn't it typical of the well-heeled Mz Finnucane to be questioning the resignation of the CRC board after they robbed the charitable donations to line their own pockets. What planet does she live on?

• Advertisement

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Isn't it typical of the well-heeled Mz Finnucane to be questioning the resignation of the CRC board after they robbed the charitable donations to line their own pockets.

Was just thinking the same, Roger.. Firstly, Marian is meant to be an objective presenter on current affairs issues, not standing up for a bunch of her pals.. Secondly, most people would consider Marian akin to the people at the top of the CRC, stuffing their own pockets with the public's money, so I'm not sure her support for the CRC is something that will help get Santa Bears back on the shelves...

Isn't it typical of the well-heeled Mz Finnucane to be questioning the resignation of the CRC board after they robbed the charitable donations to line their own pockets. What planet does she live on?
    There are no allegations that the members of the CRC board lined their own pockets.

There are no allegations that the members of the CRC board lined their own pockets.

Well they certainly approved the pocket-lining that went on.......same thing!

Without Jimmy McCarthy's songs, Christy's catalogue really isnt very good. Love if Marion started clapping along, but of course having done her research thoroughly (as she does), she's well aware that this makes Christy irritable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ha.

christie moore basically said fuk off marion its too early to be singing.

:D

Well they certainly approved the pocket-lining that went on.......same thing!
    Not the same. Saying that they lined their own pockets is defamatory; saying that they overpaid employees is not.

• Advertisement

Not the same. Saying that they lined their own pockets is defamatory; saying that they overpaid employees is not.

Those employees were overpaid out of donations which the public gave in good faith to benefit the clients of CRC. I have made many donations to CRC through supporting charitable events. :mad:
    What the board approved was despicable. They breached a sacred contract. They have absolutely no moral compass and the CRC is well rid of them.

Those employees were overpaid out of donations which the public gave in good faith to benefit the clients of CRC. I have made many donations to CRC through supporting charitable events. :mad:
    What the board approved was despicable. They breached a sacred contract. They have absolutely no moral compass and the CRC is well rid of them.
    Now I can agree with you!

The people on the ground for the CRC must really be getting it in the neck... But at least we dont have to listen to that stupid Ronan Collins ad this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

nobody sends crimbo cards anymore?

tell that to the grannies im flogging australian and canadian dollars to. the countries ran out of the small stuff theyre sending that much to their relatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Tmi aonghus

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

Was just thinking the same, Roger.. Firstly, Marian is meant to be an objective presenter on current affairs issues, not standing up for a bunch of her pals.. Secondly, most people would consider Marian akin to the people at the top of the CRC, stuffing their own pockets with the public's money, so I'm not sure her support for the CRC is something that will help get Santa Bears back on the shelves...

Can't help thinking,and nothing vindictive here,about the irony of RTE presenters like Joe Duffy and Marion Finucance plus others expressing 'anguish ' about the payment to Charity CEOs.

I think it would be a fairly reasonable conclusion to draw that THEY THEMSELVES would be amongst the top three institutions the general public think are well overpaid!.

Doesn't excuse the rotten state of the charity industry at the top,but people in glasshouses and all that......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

The carry on at the CRC (and I'm fairly sure at other "charities") is terribly sad when you think of all the hours of effort & time people contributed free, gratis and for absolutely nothing over the years.
    There is no doubt that a "cancer" has crept in and developed in a certain sector of Irish society in recent years ... the sector that have a grossly inflated opinion of their own worth & importance.
    High time an end was put to all the gravy trains the golden circle have been travelling on for years ... but I won't be holding my breath.

Marion gives 5 mins to the man with the books and 15 to a nut job celebrity chef and her photo on a Dutch website , tabloid radio Marion !

Oops69 wrote: »
    Marion gives 5 mins to the man with the books and 15 to a nut job celebrity chef and her photo on a Dutch website , tabloid radio Marion !

Enjoyed the Christy Moore slot but the rest was seriously tedious. Isn't it amazing how time and again these experts on to "take the stress out of Xmas" end up by creating stress where there was none. That idiot advising to save money by not sending Xmas cards and then suggesting spending EUR25.00 on a bottle of sparkling wine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

If people are worried about their "stressful" Christmas dinner, they should pop along to Supervalu and get a ready meal for a fiver. Pop it in the microwave and five minutes later they've got themselves the turkey, ham, stuffing and potatoes. I'd text Marian with the info but then there wouldn't be a job for all those self-proclaimed experts who populate the radio and TV with their inane advice at this time every year.

If people are worried about their "stressful" Christmas dinner, they should pop along to Supervalu and get a ready meal for a fiver. Pop it in the microwave and five minutes later they've got themselves the turkey, ham, stuffing and potatoes. I'd text Marian with the info but then there wouldn't be a job for all those self-proclaimed experts who populate the radio and TV with their inane advice at this time every year.

You're my kind of cook Harry :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

The show gets worse each week, I'm not interested in anything that Rachel Allen has to say, the 3 panel members contribute nothing new or of interest; with the exception of the Christy Moore interview it was a very weak show on what should be a great slot, so close to Christmas. Marion is completely out of touch with reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Sickening.

If people are worried about their "stressful" Christmas dinner, they should pop along to Supervalu and get a ready meal for a fiver. Pop it in the microwave and five minutes later they've got themselves the turkey, ham, stuffing and potatoes.

I'll ask Santa for a microwave so.. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

10 out of 10 for resrarch again, Marian.

Marian: You wrote a song about Anne Lovett

Christy: No It was written by Nigel Rolfe. He gave me the song.

A few weeks ago she had a rugby player on. As she was introducing him she said "He was diagnosed with a ah ah ah ah very funny diagnosis." She then passed the buck to the interviewee to tell us about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

The people on the ground for the CRC must really be getting it in the neck... But at least we dont have to listen to that stupid Ronan Collins ad this year.

I was wondering what happened to the sanctimonious Ronan Collins with his buy a bear ad this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,593 ✭✭✭✭L1011

bob50 wrote: »
    I was wondering what happened to the sanctimonious Ronan Collins with his buy a bear ad this year

Initially got swapped for ads insisting no charity money had been used (which, of course, turned out to be lies) then got pulled after a day or two.

Mandela ..... AGAIN!! Or Madiba as RTE have now over-familiarly taken to calling them..

"Hugely complex" is a euphemism for nothing will change

It wasn't inappropriate ,what a shower of boring 'holier than thouss ' on this morning , have they ever been at an Irish funeral

I love that Barry's Tea advert (the train set) ... so innocent & evocative

And what exactly is Barry Andrews' expertise in this area? He's on "less than 100k" when other people dont have a job. He's got a job because of who he is, and because he lost his seat at the last election.

And what exactly is Barry Andrews' expertise in this area? He's on "less than 100k"? He's got a job because of who he is, and because he lost his seat at the last election.

.... and his mate Peter Power another ex FF TD

They didn't "fund their top ups " , they "stole" from the charities , call a spade a spade

• Advertisement

Why is this guy saying goodbye to Madonna? Is returning back after adopting some more kids?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

You can feel the whole Mandela thing running out of air.

Suffocating.

Will thay ever stop.

Will it be repeated?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Callan57 wrote: »
    I love that Barry's Tea advert (the train set) ... so innocent & evocative

From a recent thread over on the Daily Mail Forum

Things we'd have said in <insert year>

2005, Thats a nice ad on the radio. The one with the train set for Barry's Tea.:)

2006, I heard that nice ad for Barry's Tea on again. Remember, the one with the train set.

2007, I didn't think Barry's Tea would use the train set ad 3 years running.

2008, I know we're in a recession now but you'd think Barry's Tea would fork out for a new ad at this stage.

2009, Oh FFS. :rolleyes:

2010, I'd love to get that friggin train set and wrap it round Barry's head.

2011, If I hear that ad this Christmas, I'm gonna boycott Barry's Tea.

2012, If I hear that ad once more I'm gonna smash the first train set I see into smithereens. :mad:

2013, The only good reason for the ESB going on strike would be to spare us from that poxy ****ing advert on the radio. :mad::mad:

..................................................:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

Lapin wrote: »
    From a recent thread over on the Daily Mail Forum

Things we'd have said in <insert year>

2005, Thats a nice ad on the radio. The one with the train set for Barry's Tea.:)

2006, I heard that nice ad for Barry's Tea on again. Remember, the one with the train set.

2007, I didn't think Barry's Tea would use the train set ad 3 years running.

2008, I know we're in a recession now but you'd think Barry's Tea would fork out for a new ad at this stage.

2009, Oh FFS. :rolleyes:

2010, I'd love to get that friggin train set and wrap it round Barry's head.

2011, If I hear that ad this Christmas, I'm gonna boycott Barry's Tea.

2012, If I hear that ad once more I'm gonna smash the first train set I see into smithereens. :mad:

2013, The only good reason for the ESB going on strike would be to spare us from that poxy ****ing advert on the radio. :mad::mad:

..................................................:pac:
    Is the fcuker going on that long?

2005!!

Ah come on guys - it's a lovely cuddly advert :)

Is the fcuker going on that long?

2005!!

Well Peter Caffrey, who voiced the ad, unfortunately isnt..
    150px-PeterCaffrey.jpg

And the ad has been on since 1994

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/barrys-tea-train-set-radio-2915350

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Dan Dare

I love that ad too, like Wallace and Gromit and The Snowman, it now is part of Christmas.

So did everybody get that... Woman (Nigella) = good, Man (Sacchi) = bad..

Did anybody hear Brendan Keenans analysis of economics at the North Pole. It bore striking similarities to his in-depth analysis of the Irish banking losses. Dont know how George Lee, who I presume still considers himself a credible economist, indulges any of those wafflers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

Jesus do we really deserve this has-been Gaffney spouting the same inane depressing rubbish again this year. I'm out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I've not listened to this slot for months now. Flicked it on to hear about Nigella Lawson and clan.....bye!

And clearly nonsence radio is also a Xmas tradition that hasn't changed ... all filler today

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement