Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Who is this patronising waffler?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Roger_007 wrote: »
    It was personal information with no implication for national security. He had NO right or reason to pass it on to anyone. The Data Protection Act is there to prevent organisations from passing on personal information except in certain specified circumstances.
    You ARE defending his actions!

also last i heard.....

..its STILL being investigated.

isnt it amazing how LOOOOOOOOOONG it takes to investigate the most powerful people in this country when they do the simplist to verify things ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Callan57 wrote: »
    Who is this patronising waffler?

Sounds like Tony Blair's love child.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

What is Martin Donellan going on with this tittle tattle for ... Name names or stfu..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

It was personal information with no implication for national security. He had NO right or reason to pass it on to anyone. The Data Protection Act is there to prevent organisations from passing on personal information except in certain specified circumstances.
    You ARE defending his actions!
    No. I believe that what the Commissioner did was wrong (if it was he who passed on the information, which I think is acknowledged). What I am questioning is whether it was a breach of the Data Protection Act, as the Commissioner is a subordinate of the Minister for Justice.

Data can be passed up, down, or sideways within an organisation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I have this notion that the penalty points issue began with some politicians getting on to their Garda officers and demanding to have their points or their wife's points quashed.
    Then the local sergeant spots this being done by the Super and has him by the balls. He then demands that his wife gets off. Then the local garda notices that and sees the points being wiped from the computer. He knows that a local nurse he fancies has had points and sees his opportunity to get his end away by getting her points quashed.

And so it spirals.
    BUT the trail ends with the politicians and that's who's being protected in all this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

No. I believe that what the Commissioner did was wrong (if it was he who passed on the information, which I think is acknowledged). What I am questioning is whether it was a breach of the Data Protection Act, as the Commissioner is a subordinate of the Minister for Justice.

Data can be passed up, down, or sideways within an organisation.
    Data CANNOT be passed around willy-nilly within an organisation. It is the duty of the data controller to ensure that the personal information is accessible only by those who need it.

See Section 2 of the 1988 Act:

(c) the data—

(i) shall be kept only for one or more specified and lawful purposes,

(ii) shall not be used or disclosed in any manner incompatible with that purpose or those purposes,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

america could talk to a man on the moon in the 60s, we cant even talk to some lad in france in the 21st century !

:D

Data CANNOT be passed around willy-nilly within an organisation. It is the duty of the data controller to ensure that the personal information is accessible only by those who need it.

See Section 2 of the 1988 Act:

(c) the data—

(i) shall be kept only for one or more specified and lawful purposes,

(ii) shall not be used or disclosed in any manner incompatible with that purpose or those purposes,
    My understanding is that the Data Controller for An Garda Síochána is the Commissioner. So the Commissioner has the right to access the data.

A case can be made (somewhat speciously, I admit) that because of their public positions, there is some justification for sharing data with the Minister's Office information held on Oireachtas members and members of the judiciary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

I have this notion that the penalty points issue began with some politicians getting on to their Garda officers and demanding to have their points or their wife's points quashed.
    Then the local sergeant spots this being done by the Super and has him by the balls. He then demands that his wife gets off. Then the local garda notices that and sees the points being wiped from the computer. He knows that a local nurse he fancies has had points and sees his opportunity to get his end away by getting her points quashed.

And so it spirals.
    BUT the trail ends with the politicians and that's who's being protected in all this.

The purists of course would ask you to back all that up , but sensible and pragmatic people would probably say, " you may not be a hundred kilometres off the mark there lad".

:cool:

• Advertisement

Jack O'Connor is sounding more like Elmer Fudd every day, both in his content and his delivery.... Calling for fairness in pay, this from a man paid over 120k from the union members.. four times the average industrial wage.. How exactly is that fair, Jack???

The RTE mutual admiration society this morning - how many of the same interviews with Moira Doherty have I listened to on RTE?

The RTE mutual admiration society this morning - how many of the same interviews with Moira Doherty have I listened to on RTE?

This is all very grande.. Just waiting for Michael Gambon and Michael Colgan to walk in with the Ferrero Rocher.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

'Paddy Maloney discovered China'.

Eat that Marco Polo.

That Heartbeat Of Home show was some load of Paddywhackery.. How many times can they sell the same show... I've always thought it would be a good idea to do a stage version of Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory with leprechauns instead of Ooompa Loompas, I wonder would she be interested?

Ask her has she seen Michael Flatley's Rhino Horn.. :D

While I am not interested in hearing Moya Doherty yet again, her appearance is a symptom of a problem that Irish radio faces. Many of us listeners like talk radio, but the pool of personality interviewees is relatively small. The pool of those who will perform for a modest fee, or no fee, is even smaller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Some amount of luvvie bull coming from this one....

Pretty sure her yarn about the loon coming out of a Belfast show is a fabrication.

Next week.... Colm Wilkinson ....

Amazing the amount of free advertising Garth Brooks is getting all week on RTE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Why do all these theatrical/artsy chancers insist on speaking with a plummy accent??

Never seem to be shy about blowing theirown trumpets either.

Charles Manson also liked the Beatles...
    I watched three documentaries (on youtube) about the Amanda Knox case last nite, and I'm still none the wiser...

Amazing the amount of free advertising Garth Brooks is getting all week on RTE

In fairness anyone who sells out 3 gigs in Croker is bound to to become a big talking point.

If you think things were OTT this week, wait for the hype in the build up to the concerts this Summer.

I don't get it at all and I'm thinking of booking my summer holidays for the weeks either side of his shows just to get away from all the hype.
    I find his music intensly boring. Wouldn't go across the road to see him if I had free VIP tickets.

But each to their own.

Was it just me or did that "Driving in the rain" guru get in a sneaky plug for AppleGreen.. Seem very contrived to me.

I was wondering what country this one was on about until she mentioned Supermac's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

It's only 10 to 1 and Marian is away. She doesn't even do the full 2 hours! :rolleyes:

sudzs wrote: »
    It's only 10 to 1 and Marian is away. She doesn't even do the full 2 hours! :rolleyes:

Now that would be unusual... :pac:

Lapin wrote: »
    In fairness anyone who sells out 3 gigs in Croker is bound to to become a big talking point.

If you think things were OTT this week, wait for the hype in the build up to the concerts this Summer.

I don't get it at all and I'm thinking of booking my summer holidays for the weeks either side of his shows just to get away from all the hype.
    I find his music intensly boring. Wouldn't go across the road to see him if I had free VIP tickets.

But each to their own.

It's still a hell of a lot of free advertising from a cash-strapped station

It's still a hell of a lot of free advertising from a cash-strapped station
    The usual purpose of advertising is to sell things. It seem reasonably obvious that the promoters have no difficulty in finding buyers for the tickets.

• Advertisement

The usual purpose of advertising is to sell things. It seem reasonably obvious that the promoters have no difficulty in finding buyers for the tickets.

I would presume he also has "product" cd's etc to sell ... BTW a hell of a lot of the free advertising was granted BEFORE the tickets were sold

I would presume he also has "product" cd's etc to sell ... BTW a hell of a lot of the free advertising was granted BEFORE the tickets were sold
    For a performer like Garth Brooks, the income from what you term product is relatively small compared to what he earns from ticket sales. In Ireland, the live performances were always an assured sellout.

So what's in it for him in doing promotional work? Simple: he is re-launching his career. He has chosen to do so in a place where his success is a foregone conclusion.

For a performer like Garth Brooks, the income from what you term product is relatively small compared to what he earns from ticket sales. In Ireland, the live performances were always an assured sellout.

So what's in it for him in doing promotional work? Simple: he is re-launching his career. He has chosen to do so in a place where his success is a foregone conclusion.

.... and he also gets royalties on all his songs played - yes? I wasn't talking about him doing promotional work I was referring to the OTT coverage of him on ALL radio prog. (at least all I happened to be listening to)

.... and he also gets royalties on all his songs played - yes?
    Of course. Still a drop in the ocean for somebody like him.
    I wasn't talking about him doing promotional work I was referring to the OTT coverage of him on ALL radio prog. (at least all I happened to be listening to)
    There is a big audience out there for Garth Brooks. Broadcasters should cater to that group as well as other audience segments.

For the most part, country music isn't my thing, but I don't get annoyed by it (at least, not much). Live and let live.

Of course. Still a drop in the ocean for somebody like him.

There is a big audience out there for Garth Brooks. Broadcasters should cater to that group as well as other audience segments.

For the most part, country music isn't my thing, but I don't get annoyed by it (at least, not much). Live and let live.

I'm all for live & let live - so we can expect the same level of OTT fawning for the next act to play here. I have tickets for Joan Baez next Sept so I expect for a few weeks in the summer I can expect wall to wall Baez :D

I'm all for live & let live - so we can expect the same level of OTT fawning for the next act to play here. I have tickets for Joan Baez next Sept so I expect for a few weeks in the summer I can expect wall to wall Baez :D

All we need now is Neil Diamond ,or maybe Johnny Cash, oops sorry ,he's dead.
    Ok maybe Peter,Paul,and Mary.

Must be a few more has-beens out there who can con poor Paddy,Marty Robbins,no ðead too,Curtis Steigers surely should sell out Croker for three or four turns,what about Vince Hill?

Maybe not, there's a recession on here.

I despair sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

The rte obsession with rugby from every chat show to every sports bulletin full of speculation from 2 weeks before an event is really becoming unfairly all consuming , I like rugby but all this ancillary bumph is turning me off .

Have to say I agree with everything that Gavin Duffy says about Paul Kimmage. One of the (many) things that I've admired about Brian O'Driscoll was the way he maintained a dignified silence with regard to being savagely attacked on the Lions tour by Mealamu and that other thug Tana Umaga. If they had attacked Paul Kimmage he'd still be writing about it.

When you think about it in that context, they really werent a good match to write a book.

It has to be said, so to speak. we ... will.. leave... that... there..

0ne minute to the topic everyone is talking about , I'm seriously thinking of dropping this show

That lady seems to want to go back to building shoeboxes - I thought we were well aware of the consequences of packing max houses into min space. Are we now going to repeat our mistakes?

Gavin has just put Marian's mate - Mr Mellon - in his box there. :D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

With regard to that chap that was pulled out of the river in Carlow. It seems that he was another one who got involved in that stupid necknomination rubbish. Supposedly he drank a pint of spirits and jumped into the river.

This is going round the Facebook.

482578_740625282617398_1869691469_n.jpg

oh ffs... a special pull out supplement on whistle blowing now..

The second hour of Marian's shows are both terrible..

This man writes books yet he can't speak English , "I done this " etc

Oops69 wrote: »
    This man writes books yet he can't speak English , "I done this " etc

I was just about to post that.. "Lar Corbett's one was the last one I done"..

Dear god.. :D

I was just about to post that.. "Lar Corbett's one was the last one I done"..

Dear god.. :D

Don't think he'll be consulting the Oxford English Dictionary for "that special word" for the type of books he's 'writing ' god help us .

Oops69 wrote: »
    Don't think he'll be consulting the Oxford English Dictionary for "that special word" for the type of books he's 'writing ' god help us .

It's a pity he didnt write Frank Sinatra's book.. "I done it my way"..

Regrettably this kind of stuff is gaining traction.

Looks like Mr kimmage has joined the Brian Dowling club of bad grammar.

No standards,no education,just sheer brass neck and a total lack of standards.

Marian is being not taking any crap this morning.. She must be off the fags.

"We only owed the bank 10 million"..

That's a lot of days working for somebody for nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,356 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Bill Cullen up at 4am this morning!

Dont bother trying to butter me up with your thanks, Welsh Megaman...

WALES are going DOWN today :pac:

And we'll have a camera on the balls coming back in to the lineout today, so there'll be none of yer funny business today.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement