Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

Bill Cullen up at 4am this morning!
    HELLO! you owed the banks €10million, playing the victim won't wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭DownBeaten

"The country needs people like us"!

You couldn't believe this shyte! People like you fu$ked up this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Ah here, it's a bit late to be jumping on the Lehman's bandwagon...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

I'm no fan of the banks but this is a very, very one sided discussion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Astonishing radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Bill and Jackie aren't bitter.

They could've fooled me.

They could've fooled me.

Certainly they are very bitter, but I actually feel sorry for them. He's full of a lot of guff and p1ssed a lot of people off with his "work for nothing" statement, which was really not realistic for anybody with children or a mortgage. But I admire him for his ability to keep going.

''the assets where worth more bla bla bla'' what nonsense, assets are only worth what the ''market'' is prepared to pay, thats the rules of capitalism, Bill, a house was worth 10times, 10 years ago than what its worth now, Bill Cullen YOUR FIRED!!!!!

Bill Cullen up at 4am this morning!

Bill's plans for this afternoon - just a bit of gentle alligator wrestling:

alligator-wrestling-001.jpg

• Advertisement

but I actually feel sorry for them..
    I certainly don't, brass neck.

Bill & Jackie are still at the denial stage but moving into the anger stage ... surely when they took out the bank loans they knew the conditions attached !
    A serious amount of revisionism in all this IMO & I would very much like to hear the other side of the story

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Callan57 wrote: »
    Bill & Jackie are still at the denial stage but moving into the anger stage ... surely when they took out the bank loans they knew the conditions attached !
    A serious amount of revisionism in all this IMO & I would very much like to hear the other side of the story

You'll be waiting a while to hear balance on RTE. I'd imagine most of there 'stars' are in a similar position with the banks.

I bet when these two were asked to pick their 3 favourite books, they went completely out of their way to find the most obscure books they could, cos they're so intellectual....

You'll be waiting a while to hear balance on RTE. I'd imagine most of there 'stars' are in a similar position with the banks.

I bet when these two were asked to pick their 3 favourite books, they went completely out of their way to find the most obscure books they could, cos they're so intellectual....

John Banville may be an intellectual but he wears it very lightly - I could listen to him all day - I love his dry wit

• Advertisement

they went completely out of their way to find the most obscure books they could, cos they're so intellectual....

The second hour of Marian Finucane's show is the high fellutin hour.. it has been for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

DownBeaten wrote: »
    "The country needs people like us"!

You couldn't believe this shyte! People like you fu$ked up this country.

Have to disagree there, while no great fan of Cullen and Lavin,the country DOES need people who take some risk and provide employment.

Now,not people who overextend and lose the run of themselves .

We can't all work in the Public service and sit on our arses for life.

Tell you something, Aiken is squeezing everything possible in free publicity out of. Montrose.

Marzie is now running a 'competition' based on that 'event '.

Can't understand this.

Have to disagree there, while no great fan of Cullen and Lavin,the country DOES need people who take some risk and provide employment.

Now,not people who overextend and lose the run of themselves .

We can't all work in the Public service and sit on our arses for life.

Of course we need people to take a risk & create business again but I hate the way business people & ISME reps go on as if they employ people for alturistic reasons or for the good of the country - they only ever employ people they need to do the work & make money for them. If they could run their businesses & make money without employing anyone they would.
    The other thing that annoys me is this idea they go on with that their company PAYE & PRSI payments are somehow personal contributions by them to the state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Does the communist party of Ireland still exist ?

• Advertisement

I believe Kim Jong-un has a vacancy at the moment , hope brendan isn't afraid of dogs though

Of course we need people to take a risk & create business again but I hate the way business people & ISME reps go on as if they employ people for alturistic reasons or for the good of the country - they only ever employ people they need to do the work & make money for them. If they could run their businesses & make money without employing anyone they would.
    The other thing that annoys me is this idea they go on with that their company PAYE & PRSI payments are somehow personal contributions by them to the state.

It cuts both ways Callan,cuts both ways.

I'm listening to de lahvelahn yesterday and the union Machine on the nurses side are giving it big on staffing levels etc but no mention about attendance records,absenteeism, yada yada yada.

So each side to a certain extent tries to big up their side of things.

That's what they do.

The trick is to cut through the chaff and see what the vested interest and the truth is.

A lad whom I would firmly detest years ago Mr B Ogle, more or less said that today.

Having heard Ogle in a few interviews relatively recently would have to admit that he is an extremely talented performer,superb under pressure in media situations and I would bet a tidy sum that politics will see him in the not too distant future.

It cuts both ways Callan,cuts both ways.

I'm listening to de lahvelahn yesterday and the union Machine on the nurses side are giving it big on staffing levels etc but no mention about attendance records,absenteeism, yada yada yada.

So each side to a certain extent tries to big up their side of things.

That's what they do.

The trick is to cut through the chaff and see what the vested interest and the truth is.

A lad whom I would firmly detest years ago Mr B Ogle, more or less said that today.

Having heard Ogle in a few interviews relatively recently would have to admit that he is an extremely talented performer,superb under pressure in media situations and I would bet a tidy sum that politics will see him in the not too distant future.

He is a polished performer without doubt and would be well fit for politics. Anyone who thinks party politics is dirty should try union politics - vicious & devious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

They could've fooled me.

Bill wasn't as ott as Jackie , I nearly heard a violin playing when she was talking about the injustice of it all.

Glad they are getting back on their feet but the need to put the whole woe is me act behind them.

Calhoun wrote: »
    Bill wasn't as ott as Jackie , I nearly heard a violin playing when she was talking about the injustice of it all.

Glad they are getting back on their feet but the need to put the whole woe is me act behind them.

Not like them to forget to "promote" the new venture though ... must be slipping! I guess anger can distract you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Not like them to forget to "promote" the new venture though ... must be slipping! I guess anger can distract you :)
    I think it was in large part down to Marian; she was far mire interested in having them re-tell an old story than in telling a new one.

I think it was in large part down to Marian; she was far mire interested in having them re-tell an old story than in telling a new one.

Probably didn't want to be accused of promoting their new venture P.

You know how these things work, I'm sure. Never ever ever say anything that could be used against you.

Keep flat ,deadpan, no generalisations, back everything up stuff.

After the Ballsy debacle, that's how it rolls.

Sure you knew that:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Oops69 wrote: »
    Does the communist party of Ireland still exist ?

Surreally, yes:

http://www.communistpartyofireland.ie/

Brendan Ogle... Childish, insincere, attention seeking, troublemaker..

He tries to make out that he represents the poor downtrodden worker, when he has even admitted himself that the ESB workers are pampered.. The poor downtrodden people are the one's he threatened with having their heating cut off for the Christmas for the sake of getting pay increases when nobody outside of the semi states are getting pay increases.. In the country with the most expensive electricity in Europe..

And with regard to him being "good at his job"... I think the ESB is the only place that wouldnt have summarily fired him after his remarks at the Eirigí conference became public. His comments have severely damaged the position of his members, and for years to come they will be seen as being pampered because of his remarks, particularly given his position at the time of making the remarks.

Let's see how he gets on now that he's left.

Won't be short of offers.

• Advertisement

Jaysus this is fairly boring.. I think I'll head back to sleep..

Those Horslips guys must be the next below Twink on the RTE speed dial..

Jaysus this is fairly boring.. I think I'll head back to sleep..

Those Horslips guys must be the next below Twink on the RTE speed dial..

One of then is constantly on the newstalk panels aswell!

Superb interview with Rory O'Neill on Miriam O'Callaghan's show earlier this morning - well worth listening back to.

Oh Lucinda - get off the bloody fence :mad:

Lucinda needs to name her new party soon or get lost , the Iona institute could be the 'armed wing ' of the party .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,562 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Superb interview with Rory O'Neill on Miriam O'Callaghan's show earlier this morning - well worth listening back to.
    +1

Can't believe I actually enjoyed a Miriam interview, but she didn't really get a word in edgeways which helped a lot :D

First I'd heard from him - didn't see the SNS or the Abbey speech (but I'll go back and find that later) - he was brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Oops69 wrote: »
    Lucinda needs to name her new party soon or get lost , the Iona institute could be the 'armed wing ' of the party .

lucinda is the new mary hanafin

Oh Lucinda - get off the bloody fence :mad:

Hmmm O'Neill came across very well if a little 'shrill' at times.

Excellent speech by the tenor of the excerpt and the lad is cute enough to realise with regard to entering politics as asked by Miriam,that there is a lot more to politics than shouting populist opinions without any background or degree of experience.

To get back to Marzie, I love the way these talking heads handle the floods issue.

We should do this,we should do that ,do the divil and all.

Course we should,but what these white noise experts never say is where is the money coming from?.

Great to be able to shout and roar on the wireless about schemes to drain this that and the other,but a different matter entirely to fund and implement that,as the money has to come from somewhere.

Either higher taxes or reduced services.

Always take these talking heads with a health warning folks.

Hmmm O'Neill came across very well if a little 'shrill' at times..

I'm waiting to listen to the podcast but there is a story going around that he is asking RTE for an apology..

http://www.thejournal.ie/panti-rory-oneill-miriam-ocallaghan-1307439-Feb2014/

I think RTE should should give him an apology when he gives them the 85,000 euro he cost them when he slandered John Waters and co..

I'm waiting to listen to the podcast but there is a story going around that he is asking RTE for an apology..

http://www.thejournal.ie/panti-rory-oneill-miriam-ocallaghan-1307439-Feb2014/

I think RTE should should give him an apology when he gives them the 85,000 euro he cost them when he slandered John Waters and co..

Isn't there a little allegedly missing there?

• Advertisement

He mentioned names. He called them homophobic. If RTE had decided to pursue it through the courts and ended up losing a lot more than €85,000, the same people who are complaining now would be criticising RTE for wasting "their" license fee. They were damned if they did and damned if they didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,450 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

He mentioned names. He called them homophobic. If RTE had decided to pursue it through the courts and ended up losing a lot more than €85,000, the same people who are complaining now would be criticising RTE for wasting "their" license fee. They were damned if they did and damned if they didn't.

I didn't see the broadcast but if this was an excited (ie unagreed) utterance on his part, I don't think they should have pursued RTE in the first place. While it did "publish" the alleged defamation, most of those involved are journalists and should have directed their ire at the person who made the statement not the person with the deep pockets. Maybe a naive comment on my part.

Marcusm wrote: »
    I didn't see the broadcast but if this was an excited (ie unagreed) utterance on his part, I don't think they should have pursued RTE in the first place. While it did "publish" the alleged defamation, most of those involved are journalists and should have directed their ire at the person who made the statement not the person with the deep pockets. Maybe a naive comment on my part.

If they had directed their ire at the person who made the statement, they would be even more vilified by certain sections of the media for pursuing him through the courts......

where, on the 85k cheque?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭AerynSun

If they had directed their ire at the person who made the statement, they would be even more vilified by certain sections of the media for pursuing him through the courts......

As far as I know, they directed their ire at RTE as well as the person who made the statement - and in fact, the person who made the statement was only answering direct questions that were being posed to him by the host of the show. So if RTE wants to dodge responsibility, they'd do well to throw the show's presenter under the bus instead of the person who answered the questions that were put to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

One good thing that may come out of all this is that the great moral philosopher of our time, John Watters, seems to have crawled under a stone somewhere where, with any luck, he will remain for a long time. If he does, then I think that the €45k that he was handed by RTE, (or really by the licence payers), might turn out to be money well spent. At least we won't have to listen to his self-righteous lectures from the moral high ground any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

AerynSun wrote: »
    As far as I know, they directed their ire at RTE as well as the person who made the statement - and in fact, the person who made the statement was only answering direct questions that were being posed to him by the host of the show. So if RTE wants to dodge responsibility, they'd do well to throw the show's presenter under the bus instead of the person who answered the questions that were put to him.

this is whats baffling me during this whole affair.

IMO the numpty responsible for all of this is brendan o connor. up till he insisted on named individual there was absolutely nothing wrong with the interview.

but once he said "is john waters a homophobe" and in the reply no one slapped in the words "i think/in my opinion/ i belive" it was a slamdunk for a court case win.

i'd like to know how the fuk he or his editor is getting away scott free in all this. if someone tried to sue rory IMO He'd have a good case to say he was lead in that interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭a-ha

this is whats baffling me during this whole affair.

IMO the numpty responsible for all of this is brendan o connor. up till he insisted on named individual there was absolutely nothing wrong with the interview.

but once he said "is john waters a homophobe" and in the reply no one slapped in the words "i think/in my opinion/ i belive" it was a slamdunk for a court case win.

i'd like to know how the fuk he or his editor is getting away scott free in all this. if someone tried to sue rory IMO He'd have a good case to say he was lead in that interview.

You must read John Waters' Interview with the College Tribune.

Read this and tell me he is not in the least bit homophobic.

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2014/02/09/its-not-even-gay-marriage-im-opposed-to-its-the-idea-of-gay-adoption/

They have audio too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Dear god, a bit of realism here! You don't honestly believe it's that simple to prove defamation, do you?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Guess who isn't in Montrose today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

my friend wrote: »
    Guess who isn't in Montrose today?

Must be marooned by de floods.:confused:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement