Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Sounds like yesterday's show was fun.. I may listen back..

I think that Former Fianna Fáil candidate Noel Whelan should be announced as such if they are all putting their cards on the table..

I'll always remember Whelan as Sean 'bagman' Gallaghers cohabitant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Sounds like yesterday's show was fun.. I may listen back..

I think that Former Fianna Fáil candidate Noel Whelan should be announced as such if they are all putting their cards on the table..

Noel is doing a 'Shatter' on this, he seems to be casting aspersions on the whistleblowers while 'sort of' agreeing with them.:confused:

Another gutteral sound from MF

Gda Wilson is suing the taxpayer in an effort to be the first uniformed Garda with a beard , crazy but true

my friend wrote: »
    Gda Wilson is suing the taxpayer in an effort to be the first uniformed Garda with a beard , crazy but true

Which taxpayer is he suing and how much is he suing for? (If you are suing someone, it has to be for a stated amount!).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

I didnt believe it, but it's true..

GRA bristle over garda beard ban
    Garda John Wilson suffers from un unusual skin condition which is eased by growing a beard. But beause this breaches regulations, he has been confined to indoor duties at Monaghan Garda station. Now the case of the 38-year-old garda has been raised with Commissioner Pat Byrne. And Garda Wilson plans to take legal action, claiming that his consitutional rights are being infringed.

"I have done everything that I could to have these regulations repealed but I have been ignored," he said. "I am now confined to a radio room and the the instructions are that I am not to be allowed out in public."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I didnt believe it, but it's true..

GRA bristle over garda beard ban
    I wonder how the story developed since June 2001. Or is it still making its way through our painfully-slow legal system?

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Which taxpayer is he suing and how much is he suing for? (If you are suing someone, it has to be for a stated amount!).

It's all in my brief post

Let's be honest Michael Martin can just stfu.. Most of the things happened when THEY were in charge, so why is he blaming FG for it???

And Willie O'Dea and the others calling for Shatter to resign.. Willie himself who knowingly swore a false affidavit as Minister For Defence and was forced kicking and screaming to resign. What makes him an appropriate person to judge what Alan Shatter should or should not resign over, seeing as how his moral compass is less than finely tuned.. Willie should have served time for what he did, and should have never be allowed into public office again.

Lonergan has some neck commenting on this matter, he the governer that early released convicts that went on to rape and murder all so that 'his prison' was more manageable

• Advertisement

It's all in my brief post

You are talking about something which happened in 2001. He made representations through the GRA. He is now retired. Your post implied that he is currently 'suing' the 'taxpayer'. You have either misunderstood or are deliberately throwing mud. You obviously have an agenda which is to malign EX Garda Wilson. This is curiously close to what Shatter and Callinan are trying to do........just saying!

You have either misunderstood or are deliberately throwing mud.

I think I'd have to agree with My Friend.. I think most people would just say "It's the rules of the job that a Garda does not have a beard so I will either adhere to the rules or get a different job"... It seems like a fairly petty issue to take a case to the courts about.

You are talking about something which happened in 2001. He made representations through the GRA. He is now retired. Your post implied that he is currently 'suing' the 'taxpayer'. You have either misunderstood or are deliberately throwing mud. You obviously have an agenda which is to malign EX Garda Wilson. This is curiously close to what Shatter and Callinan are trying to do........just saying!

Wilson has incriminated himself , he spent days and weeks scouring the pulse system illegally extracting data

Wilson also stated that he 'fitted' innocent people for crimes.

Whether 2001 or 1990 or 2014 Wilson has shown himself to be a crank (suing for the right as a uniformed Garda to wear a beard) a lawbreaker (illegal use of the pulse system and fitting innocents) and a liar (he would have signed statements he knew were untrue in fitting people for crimes they didn't commit)

It makes his case for any other claims difficult to accept.

Wilson is no hero

I think I'd have to agree with My Friend.. I think most people would just say "It's the rules of the job that a Garda does not have a beard so I will either adhere to the rules or get a different job"... It seems like a fairly petty issue to take a case to the courts about.

This issue was done and dusted years ago. As far as I'm aware, no court case was ever taken. My Friend was wrong to state that Garda Wilson IS suing the 'taxpayer'. He IS NOT.
    The only reason to bring this up now is to portray EX Garda Wilson as a crank and not worth listening to.

P.S. The Gardai now have a policy of recruiting from ethnic minorities. Will they be requiring Moslem Gardai to shave off their beards?

Wilson has incriminated himself , he spent days and weeks scouring the pulse system illegally extracting data

Wilson also stated that he 'fitted' innocent people for crimes.

Whether 2001 or 1990 or 2014 Wilson has shown himself to be a crank (suing for the right as a uniformed Garda to wear a beard) a lawbreaker (illegal use of the pulse system and fitting innocents) and a liar (he would have signed statements he knew were untrue in fitting people for crimes they didn't commit)

It makes his case for any other claims difficult to accept.

Wilson is no hero

Waiting on Roger to address the above ^

This issue was done and dusted years ago. As far as I'm aware, no court case was ever taken. My Friend was wrong to state that Garda Wilson IS suing the 'taxpayer'. He IS NOT.
    The only reason to bring this up now is to portray EX Garda Wilson as a crank and not worth listening to.

P.S. The Gardai now have a policy of recruiting from ethnic minorities. Will they be requiring Moslem Gardai to shave off their beards?

Waiting on My Friend to address the above!

Waiting on Roger to address the above ^

Waiting for somebody to address something. :P

'Roger' you're trying to go off piste, I'm no Schumacher, you accused me of merely trying to throw mud at Wilson, I've laid out a few small facts about him which you have failed to respond to , I'm guessing you now see these facts I've presented are indefensible, perhaps you now accept that Wilson is no hero, and fact is, if his words are to be believed, he then is, by his own words, a criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Don't you just love the way this guy dismisses the loyalty of people who paid massive amounts of health insurance for 30-40 years and suddenly now when they need to claim on that cover that 30-40 years of paying is dismissed!
    Why would young people take out health insurance now when they see how those who paid for years are being dismissed.

Laughing at MF attempting to spoof knowledge about Ukrainian politics

• Advertisement

'Roger' you're trying to go off piste, I'm no Schumacher, you accused me of merely trying to throw mud at Wilson, I've laid out a few small facts about him which you have failed to respond to , I'm guessing you now see these facts I've presented are indefensible, perhaps you now accept that Wilson is no hero, and fact is, if his words are to be believed, he then is, by his own words, a criminal.

I never suggested that Wilson was a hero. In fact if he did what you accuse him of, he did exactly what Callinan did in the Mick Wallace affair when he, (Callinan), abused the Pulse system to get a bit of tittle-tattle with which to smear Wallace.
    I was making the point that what you stated in your original post was not true. Wilson is NOT suing the taxpayer or anyone else. Do you understand the words NOT TRUE. I'll put it another way; it's a LIE. You then tried to gloss over your LIE by making accusations about Wilson which I have no way of knowing are true or not. The only thing I do know is that what you stated in your original post was NOT TRUE.
    Is that clear enough?

Good M-Afternoon .... :confused::confused:
    *consults Oxford Book Of Times Of the Day*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Marian is still on LA Time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Lets face it , the number of people here who care about Ukraine could be measured on one hand , too much of this rubbish, next topic please

Wilson is NOT suing the taxpayer or anyone else. Do you understand the words NOT TRUE. I'll put it another way; it's a LIE.

I think you're being a bit pedantic, Roger.. I think the fact about Wilson was that he was prepared to take such a case, and I would see this as being indicative of the type of person he is... He seems to court media attention, and I dont think it's coincidental that it's the same guy on our airwaves now.. I'm not saying he's a bad man, but I think he's driven more by the personal "desire to be great" than he is by the drive to change things..

Oops69 wrote: »
    Lets face it , the number of people here who care about Ukraine could be measured on one hand , too much of this rubbish, next topic please

Seems to be that the Ukrainian political parties are all as bad as each other - a bit like here except with guns and Molotov cocktails.

I never suggested that Wilson was a hero. In fact if he did what you accuse him of, he did exactly what Callinan did in the Mick Wallace affair when he, (Callinan), abused the Pulse system to get a bit of tittle-tattle with which to smear Wallace.
    I was making the point that what you stated in your original post was not true. Wilson is NOT suing the taxpayer or anyone else. Do you understand the words NOT TRUE. I'll put it another way; it's a LIE. You then tried to gloss over your LIE by making accusations about Wilson which I have no way of knowing are true or not. The only thing I do know is that what you stated in your original post was NOT TRUE.
    Is that clear enough?

You're not factually correct. All my statements about Wilson were true.
    The issue with the beard took place, documents of legal consequences were transferred, the issue was resolved before court but ran for 2 years, the cost of the silliness was borne by the taxpayer.

Wilson was accommodated in every way, he was put in plain clothes, thus removing the requirement to shave, but his clumsiness resulted in him firing a bullet through the front windshield of a car, ergo back to desk.

What killed Wilson was that he couldn't be out and about in the painted car and wearing the uniform .... There he was able to feed his power trip

A lesson in grammar for Marian... I love it.. :D

Ukraine STILL ?

FFS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Nonsense. It has been the leading world story for the last week. I enjoyed that conversation and the intelligent contributions. Marian could have done with interjecting less.

A lesson in grammar for Marian... I love it.. :D

From a blackrock boy as well , he'll be head of the debating society in school tomorrow:rolleyes:

Aidric wrote: »
    Nonsense. It has been the leading world story for the last week. I enjoyed that conversation and the intelligent contributions. Marian could have done with interjecting less.
    Even if it is no one here gives two hoots , the new shower / the plait headed nutter woman's friends will be as bad as the last shower and has no relevance for us .

And I can guarantee no one on the media or elsewhere will be talking about this by Tuesday at the latest , maybe even by tomorrow

Even if it is no one here gives two hoots , the new shower / the plait headed nutter woman's friends will be as bad as the last shower and has no relevance for us .

So the scope of the show should be inward looking and to hell with world affairs?

So the scope of the show should be inward looking and to hell with world affairs?

No, but leave it to SoR or someone like Richard (insert surname) to deal with

MF isn't up to it

I think that you have failed to recognise the importance of the editorial board that posts here.

Happily, RTÉ also fails to recognise it.

• Advertisement

I think that you have failed to recognise the importance of the editorial board that posts here.

Happily, RTÉ also fails to recognise it.

Ah Marian, you've found the interweb!

;)

World affairs that have some relevance to us, not the tribulations of a fight between a the Russian and Ukranian mafia over the assets of the country .... Same s**** , different country, different day , next year they'll probably be hosting the Eurovision Song Contest saying 'hello Europe' and everything's great in Kiev.

No, but leave it to SoR or someone like Richard (insert surname) to deal with

MF isn't up to it

Her childlike questions were a little annoying but she was trying to approach it from the common man perspective. At least they assembled a qualified panel who did a great job at explaining the situation.

Could someone tell me the name of the main contributor? It was Frank something but I didn't catch his surname.

Richard Crowley is trying hard to say "Ukraine" and not "The Ukraine".. lol...

I think you're being a bit pedantic, Roger.. I think the fact about Wilson was that he was prepared to take such a case, and I would see this as being indicative of the type of person he is... He seems to court media attention, and I dont think it's coincidental that it's the same guy on our airwaves now.. I'm not saying he's a bad man, but I think he's driven more by the personal "desire to be great" than he is by the drive to change things..
    You're not factually correct. All my statements about Wilson were true.
    The issue with the beard took place, documents of legal consequences were transferred, the issue was resolved before court but ran for 2 years, the cost of the silliness was borne by the taxpayer.

Wilson was accommodated in every way, he was put in plain clothes, thus removing the requirement to shave, but his clumsiness resulted in him firing a bullet through the front windshield of a car, ergo back to desk.

What killed Wilson was that he couldn't be out and about in the painted car and wearing the uniform .... There he was able to feed his power trip
    It is expected that participants in boards understand the idea of ad hominem argument, and not employ it when interacting with one another.

So we should be able to recognise ad hominem arguments when they are applied to people involved in public affairs. It doesn't matter a damn if Wilson has a history or a personality that irks some people. What matters is whether what he has brought to public attention is true.

• Advertisement

Richard Crowley is trying hard to say "Ukraine" and not "The Ukraine".. lol...

Ah Mother Russia

America should send Bon Jovi to Ukraine

Best analysis on Ukraine right now from NYU professor on Radio 1

Cut to the chase , more info in 2 minutes than 20 of Marians waffle

America should send Bon Jovi to Ukraine

Only if David Hasselhoff is too busy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Spent a lot of time in the last few weeks listening/watching political shows and debates.
    I have not heard one politician speak who was in my mind not out to better his/her own political future.
    I have no faith in the current political system.
    There is no politician or party I could vote for.
    They all put themselves before the country and common good.

So, they think they should keep the office of the Mayor of Athy cos it's a nice chain :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Spent a lot of time in the last few weeks listening/watching political shows and debates.
    I have not heard one politician speak who was in my mind not out to better his/her own political future.
    I have no faith in the current political system.
    There is no politician or party I could vote for.
    They all put themselves before the country and common good.

These are our betters in government that we must be obedient to.
    Imagine what unjust laws they have concocted over the years......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

mikom wrote: »
    These are our betters in government that we must be obedient to.
    Imagine what unjust laws they have concocted over the years......

I don't have to imagine too far back. Just to the bailing out bondholders and not letting Anglo fall.
    They have their friends interests at heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bricana

I thought the section on Ukraine was informative.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yvonne23R

Philip Nolan was very good I have to say.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement