Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Did Marian bring him on to lecture him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

It seems that all in RTE have already decided that Oscar is guilty....

Marian now giving him free advertising on prime time national radio.. And she wonders why he carries out these sensationalist adverts??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Oh , they took the bet down !, well it served its purpose , so joe can pretend he was successful now Not realising he was a pawn , paddy laughing all the way to the bank .

Does Marian always have to play "My Entitlements Are Better Than Your Entitlements" every time Ursual Tipp comes in to studio?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

I think there is potentially something attractive about having a not especially skilled broadcaster hosting a panel show - Kenny and O'Rourke, with their skill and polish, can detract somewhat from the guests. However, Marian has it both ways! She is undeniably not a skilled broadcaster, nor is she a thinker. Yet she acts and is paid as though she is both.

Marian must just go straight from the airport to the studio... At the start of the show she introduced us to Colm Ó Górmán ? I mean how many times has she had Colm O'Gorman on the show and she still doesnt know who he is?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

"and how are things in South Ossetia?"
    bit of a converstion stopper there from Marian

Francis is a fake , he was voted in by a hugely conservative college of cardinals to preserve the status quo but to put a gloss on it like the good Machiavellian Jesuit he is .

I dont think anything anybody could do would make Colm O'Gorman happy..

• Advertisement

"If we break the refrigerator we all suffer" , what have we done without Charlie and his evocative words of wisdom for the last couple of years .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Stay warm Charlie......

Lars-Ulrich-is-Freezing.jpg

Oops69 wrote: »
    "If we break the refrigerator we all suffer" , what have we done without Charlie and his evocative words of wisdom for the last couple of years .

He's right though. I've got loads of ice cream and frozen pizza in my refrigerator. I would definitely suffer if it broke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

I dont think anything anybody could do would make Colm O'Gorman happy..

Sure we could, shunt millions of bucks in the direction of his outfit so they could be the policemen of society- their version.

All taxpayers money, taxpayer pays for everything like.

Pretty damn sure that might make Colie crack a smile.:pac:

I agree , a lot of his arguments ring true but he does tend to come across as a miserable old so and so .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Oops69 wrote: »
    I agree , a lot of his arguments ring true but he does tend to come across as a miserable old so and so .
    Given the sort of issues he is invited to address, there are few enough occasions when he might have cheerful things to say.

Some time ago, and I can't remember whether it was on Marian's programme, he did sound very positive about his role in taking on responsibility for the children of a deceased friend.

Given the sort of issues he is invited to address, there are few enough occasions when he might have cheerful things to say.

Some time ago, and I can't remember whether it was on Marian's programme, he did sound very positive about his role in taking on responsibility for the children of a deceased friend.

Bit like yersel P, never strays too much from between the red lines:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭donaghs

Accidentally caught some of her show recently. They were discussing Angela Kerins inflated Rehab salary and package. I think Marian sounded a bit uncomfortable, definitely sitting on the fence on that one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

donaghs wrote: »
    Accidentally caught some of her show recently. They were discussing Angela Kerins inflated Rehab salary and package. I think Marian sounded a bit uncomfortable, definitely sitting on the fence on that one!

suprise suprise, I agree with a previous poster regarding her up against PK and sean o rourke. She is massively overpaid, has no real opinion on anything and is mainly a mediator for debate. Its depressing that she earns this much compliments of the taxpayer. Irish entitlement.

• Advertisement

lufties wrote: »
    suprise suprise, I agree with a previous poster regarding her up against PK and sean o rourke. She is massively overpaid, has no real opinion on anything and is mainly a mediator for debate. Its depressing that she earns this much compliments of the taxpayer. Irish entitlement.

Everybody knows that, apart from RTE management.

Everybody knows that, apart from RTE management.

I'm sure they even know it but don't act on it for some strange reason.

Very strange indeed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭A.J.Plumb

It's called a contract my friend...you know ..when two people sign an agreement like.....

One of those lads ...

A.J.Plumb wrote: »
    It's called a contract my friend...you know ..when two people sign an agreement like.....

One of those lads ...

Where do I even begin to provide a reply to that..

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭roran

You could swallow hard and say 'cause she'e worth it' :P:P:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Oliver Callan had a skit of the Marian show on Radio 1 this evening

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 maxx_power

donaghs wrote: »

finucane is the quintessential establishment hack , she can always be relied upon to keep quiet when the spotlight is on so called well respected orgs and well known movers and shakers

mick Wallace was on her show a few weeks back discussing the penalty points scandal , not one text criticising commissioner callinan was read out , nor did marian point to the commissioners actions and statements

an insufferable and incredibly untalented woman

Don't know pal...what part of my post have you a problem with ?

maxx_power wrote: »
    finucane is the quintessential establishment hack , she can always be relied upon to keep quiet when the spotlight is on so called well respected orgs and well known movers and shakers

mick Wallace was on her show a few weeks back discussing the penalty points scandal , not one text criticising commissioner callinan was read out , nor did marian point to the commissioners actions and statements

In fairness, the whole of rte can be relied on to get the government agenda across, some more than others of course. I'm just sayin that its eerie she gets paid such a salary for 4 hours work a week. I honestly think there's more to it than meets the eye. she seems untouchable.

maxx_power wrote: »

Taking your comments as read pal ...seeing as I did not listen to the show in question.

What pisses me off about this whole thing is that Deputy Commissioner guy who basically said nothing to see here has been proved spectacuarly wrong.

Surely he is not still in a job ...with a huge pension....uh...uh...yes he is ...this is Ireland..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 maxx_power

Taking your comments as read pal ...seeing as I did not listen to the show in question.

What pisses me off about this whole thing is that Deputy Commissioner guy who basically said nothing to see here has been proved spectacuarly wrong.

Surely he is not still in a job ...with a huge pension....uh...uh...yes he is ...this is Ireland..

their is still a huge reluctance on the part of the media and the political class to remotely acknowledge that systematic corruption is a major issue amongst our police force

endless eulogising of our men and women in uniform is the default position

In fairness, the whole of rte can be relied on to get the government agenda across, some more than others of course. I'm just sayin that its eerie she gets paid such a salary for 4 hours work a week. I honestly think there's more to it than meets the eye. she seems untouchable.

Answer my previous post pal..don't go spoutin ****e you cannot back up !

Man up ..if you are called out...Ok ?

Answer my previous post pal..don't go spoutin ****e you cannot back up !

Man up ..if you are called out...Ok ?

How about you suck on my b@lls 'Pal'..

How about you suck on my b@lls 'Pal'..

Heh..heh ..nice one pal...no freekin answer to that !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

life is too comfortable for that girl. she must be squirming when talking about huge pay and pensions. as for rte? goebbels would be proud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Heh..heh ..nice one pal...no freekin answer to that !!

how's about the pair of you grow up or I'll ban you from the forum!

Howrya Mariadn buddy... Keith's a decent oul skin.. Hard not to like him..

If a pilot knew that Boyzone were on board the plane, he would have crashed it not hijacked it..

I reckon they'll make a TV series about that missing plane......

Lost-Season1.jpg

Howrya Mariadn buddy... Keith's a decent oul skin.. Hard not to like him..

He's the epitome of that Mark Twain quote, "To succeed in life, you need two things: ignorance and confidence."

Keith-Duffy_ss_694681a.jpg

• Advertisement

He's the epitome of that Mark Twain quote, "To succeed in life, you need two things: ignorance and confidence".

I dont know how he can consider himself unlucky.. A guy who really cant sing to any degree, but had a hugely successful career as a "singer"... If he invested badly that's not luck, that bad investing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

He's the epitome of that Mark Twain quote, "To succeed in life, you need two things: ignorance and confidence."

Keith-Duffy_ss_694681a.jpg
    In fairness, he's after saying he did that for charity.

In fairness, he's after saying he did that for charity.

No celebrity ever does something purely for charity. He probably did it first and foremost to increase his celebrity profile.

FFS Keith, Joe Lynch was in Coronation Street when you were still eating baby food.

Please say you're not doing Hamlet, Keith???

Say it isn't so, buddy??? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

No celebrity ever does something purely for charity. He probably did it first and foremost to increase his celebrity profile.
    Well yes but if it got money to a good cause, what's the harm?
    Keith Duffy always seems like a good skin to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,561 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I really like KD (and think it's a bit unfair to claim ulterior motives for his charity efforts), but oh my goodness, he can talk. And talk. And talk :eek:

Please say you're not doing Hamlet, Keith???
    Say it isn't so, buddy??? :eek:

Why does he think that he SHOULD be taken seriously as an actor.. He was only picked for any of his acting roles because of the fan base and publicity that having him a production would bring. How does he think any professional Irish actor, who had spent their previous ten years in acting school (while Keith was in Boyzone), would feel looking at Duffy getting offered a role of the token Irish guy in Coronation Street instead of them..

I mean you wouldnt get kevin webster in to look at your car.. Wouldnt get him in to babysit either, but that's another story..

Well yes but if it got money to a good cause, what's the harm?
    Keith Duffy always seems like a good skin to me.

I agree with you. He's a nice fella and a decent skin. The sort of guy you wouldn't mind going for a pint with, but at the end of the day, he's a spoofer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,561 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Is it not his job to be a "spoofer"? (not really sure what you mean by that, tbh) He's an entertainer, he said it himself - is he meant to do an interview with MF and just clam up?

Anyway, which of us isn't a "spoofer" when it comes to it - we all have our own versions of reality which others might disagree with, we just don't get to/have to broadcast that to the nation for their criticism to be picked apart.

Sorry, don't mean to nitpick, just think that's a throwaway comment that is very unfair on him.

(I don't know him from Adam, btw, not a particular fan of Boyzone, and have never even seen him in Corrie before I'm accused of bias :D)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement