Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

I agree with you. He's a nice fella and a decent skin. The sort of guy you wouldn't mind going for a pint with, but at the end of the day, he's a spoofer.

Yeah I'm with Harry.. Keith is certainly a sound guy, but there's a certain element of the puppet thinking he's a real boy, same as Kian Egan last nite... He wants to be treated seriously as a singer, when he was really just an extra in Boyzone.. Didnt sing lead on any album track afaik.. He wants to be taken seriously as an actor, with no acting training or experience..

I also find it kind of ironic that he's on giving out about TOWIE and similar reality shows.. The people on those shows look at people LIKE Duffy, who get hugely famous without having any real talent, and think to themselves "Jesus I'd like a piece of that for myself"...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Don't know much about the bloke but Keith Duffy came across as a genuinely decent bloke in that interview. Honest and humble. He doesn't sound like someone whoring for celeb status. Good luck to the lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,561 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Yeah I'm with Harry.. Keith is certainly a sound guy, but there's a certain element of the puppet thinking he's a real boy, same as Kian Egan last nite... He wants to be treated seriously as a singer, when he was really just an extra in Boyzone.. Didnt sing lead on any album track afaik.. He wants to be taken seriously as an actor, with no acting training or experience..

I also find it kind of ironic that he's on giving out about TOWIE and similar reality shows.. The people on those shows look at people LIKE Duffy, who get hugely famous without having any real talent, and think to themselves "Jesus I'd like a piece of that for myself"...

I'm sorry, but this just strikes me as good old-fashioned begrudgery.

He was hugely successful in Boyzone, and obviously IS taken seriously as an actor given that he appears to be very successful in what he's done - not everyone has to have a PhD in acting to be "allowed" into the arena. And he admitted himself that he didn't have as strong a voice as Ronan Keating or whichever other one got solo contracts after Boyzone split up.

And if he has no talent, would he really have got the point he's at? I don't think so. You can only bluff your way so far (not very far) in that world before you're rumbled.

Can't agree with any of that, sorry.

Who are these two now and why are we interested in what they are doing in Paris ? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

They better be careful in Paris, really high pollution levels, people are being told not to let their children play outside, Hope Amy Huberman is not bringing Sadie to the stadium!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I really like KD (and think it's a bit unfair to claim ulterior motives for his charity efforts), but oh my goodness, he can talk. And talk. And talk :eek:
    It's a good thing that he can talk, given that he was on a radio programme.

I was impressed at how well he came across; he seems intelligent and thoughtful, and he actually uses sentences (it's surprising how many people don't).

They better be careful in Paris, really high pollution levels

Put two French people in a room and the pollution levels increase by 100% as soon as they start talking. ;)

Now Dylan McGrath is someone I can't stomach, that he has so much "celeb status". Back in his Mint days, you could hear him ****ing and blinding at his kitchen staff from the dining room.
    I wonder has he paid his suppliers back with the money he's getting from his television work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Is it not his job to be a "spoofer"? (not really sure what you mean by that, tbh) He's an entertainer, he said it himself - is he meant to do an interview with MF and just clam up?

Anyway, which of us isn't a "spoofer" when it comes to it - we all have our own versions of reality which others might disagree with, we just don't get to/have to broadcast that to the nation for their criticism to be picked apart.

Sorry, don't mean to nitpick, just think that's a throwaway comment that is very unfair on him.

(I don't know him from Adam, btw, not a particular fan of Boyzone, and have never even seen him in Corrie before I'm accused of bias :D)

He can't sing. He can't really act. Fair play to him, he's gone a long way on very limited resources. I admire him for that. Granted he's got a good personality, but there are plenty of people in the dole queue at the moment with good personalities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

Raspberries and strawberries in March??? And he struggled to think of Irish fine foods. :rolleyes: Any wonder this chaps restaurant went bust!

• Advertisement

He was hugely successful in Boyzone.

Well do you think that if Keith Duffy was singing lead on the Boyzone songs, would the band have been successful ... He was picked cos he's a handsome chap, and good look to him.. But he cant rewrite history, and try to make out that he was picked because he was a talented musician or singer.

I really like Keith, and he seems like an exceptionally responsible family guy.. Especially given the amount of women he must have throwing themselves at him.. But dont try and spoof us all that he was in Boyzone because of his singing ability and not his good looks.

Well do you think that if Keith Duffy was singing lead on the Boyzone songs, would the band have been successful ... He was picked cos he's a handsome chap, and good look to him.. But he cant rewrite history, and try to make out that he was picked because he was a talented musician or singer.

I really like Keith, and he seems like an exceptionally responsible family guy.. Especially given the amount of women he must have throwing themselves at him.. But dont try and spoof us all that he was in Boyzone because of his singing ability and not his good looks.

But he said that himself!!!

(not about the good looks, but about having a weaker voice than others in the band)

Jesus, what does the guy have to do? Wear sackcloth and ashes for ever more for having the temerity to be part of a very successful band :confused:

"The banks weren't lending"

Well of course they weren't, he didn't pay back his losses!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

How many times has Dylan McGrath used the word "concept" this morning? He's like a broken record

Now THIS is a spoofer :D

And a not particularly pleasant one, at that.

Jesus, what does the guy have to do? Wear sackcloth and ashes for ever more for having the temerity to be part of a very successful band :confused:

He certainly should have worn the sackcloth with this ensemble..

Keith-Duffy_ss_694681a.jpg

The amount of coverage they had of O'Driscoll on radio last saturday... And virtually nothing today.. I've only just realised that the England game (which could affect our chances of winning the championship) is already half over... It's TODAY that O'Driscoll is playing his last game for Ireland and Marian didnt mention it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Lapin wrote: »
    Don't know much about the bloke but Keith Duffy came across as a genuinely decent bloke in that interview. Honest and humble. He doesn't sound like someone whoring for celeb status. Good luck to the lad.

The fact that he has an autistic child and is now working to raise funds for autism makes him a decent guy in my book. If the money goes to fund SNA's in schools then it's even better.
    The Govt have made serious cuts to SNA's and that's a shame.

The amount of coverage they had of O'Driscoll on radio last saturday... And virtually nothing today.. I've only just realised that the England game (which could affect our chances of winning the championship) is already half over... It's TODAY that O'Driscoll is playing his last game for Ireland and Marian didnt mention it..

Very strange alright, she'd usually have a line-up of punters here and in Paris, asking them what they'd had for breakfast etc, before cutting to experts for the official line - she had two on (I think) but I was so busy defending Keith Duffy's honour that I seem to have blinked and missed them :D

Most unusual.

Am I the only one who a) doesnt find Neil Tobín funny and b) finds it very hard to listen to him..

Hurry up Marian, I cant leave the radio on this for much longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Am I the only one who a) doesnt find Neil Tobín funny and b) finds it very hard to listen to him..
    Probably not the only one, but my guess is that you are in a minority.
    Hurry up Marian, I cant leave the radio on this for much longer.
    Marian?

Niall Toibin's alright, it's Miriam I can't listen to - radio is off since 10.05!

Thanks for the reminder though, wonder what wonders Marian will have in store for us today.

Gangland killings and Paul Williams for sure :eek:

Straight on the bandwagon this morning.. She didnt want to know them yesterday!!!

She gets at least one name wrong a week. It's a bit disrespectful, and not something you would expect from a presenter that purportedly spends the week before a show "studying" for her four hours on air.

Who's the American fella? His accent is brilliant, he sounds like JFK!

Who's the American fella? His accent is brilliant, he sounds like JFK!

He sounds more like The Simpsons' parody of JFK, Diamond Joe Quimby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Marian Finucane: Claims I get €500k for four hours a week are 'baloney' | Irish Independent

She said she does "endless hours of research" for her shows.

"My radio goes on at seven o'clock in the morning and when I'm finished with 'Tonight with Vincent Browne' I go on to the international channels. That is all part of what I do. I would think it was funny if it didn't make me cross, but I don't think anybody believes that (I only work four hours) anyway."

If she does do the preparation described above, it doesn't speak much for her intellect, because it's not apparent when listening. But, someone should tell her that that much research isn't required: she is primarily a facilitator of discussion.

It should be noted that her salary has been reduced from its Celtic Tiger peak of €570k (!) to €295k.

She said she does "endless hours of research" for her shows.

This is really a joke.. She got the names of two of her contributors wrong today! ... She appears more like somebody who's just breezed in to the studio as the sig tune is starting, rather than somebody who has thoroughly and comprehensively prepared for the items that she will be discussing.. And she seems to be getting sloppier by the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

It should be noted that her salary has been reduced from its Celtic Tiger peak of €570k (!) to €295k.
    €295,000 / 40 / 4 ~ €1,850 per broadcasting hour, which must make her the highest paid presenter, per broadcasting hour, in the island of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

serfboard wrote: »
    €295,000 / 40 / 4 ~ €1,850 per broadcasting hour, which must make her the highest paid presenter, per broadcasting hour, in the island of Ireland.

To be pedantic, I suspect Brendan O'Connor is probably paid more per hour: 70min weekly show; big summer break; €160k salary. But it would be expected that an entertainer would be relatively better paid, especially one on TV.

It's difficult to know how much broadcasters should be paid. Basing it on the popularity of a show is flawed because some slots, 11-1 on the weekend for instance, are likely to get inflated listenerships. However, clearly some presenters are responsible for a listener premium: Joe Duffy is paid €300k for 75mins broadcasting per day*, and it's likely that he does very little preparation for his shows. But, his show, in a not particularly good slot, has the second-highest number of listeners in the country; I can't stand the man, but would the show be so popular without him?

Finucane is close to retirement-age, and would likely consider leaving the station were her salary to decrease much further. I am no Finucane fan, but would her replacement be as popular? A lot of the show's popularity is probably due to familiarity. Therefore, maybe there is an argument for her salary.

Sean O'Rourke was paid €209k while presenter of the one o'clock news and Sunday Politics. He probably has to do more preparation given that he's now on-air for longer. But, ought he to get a pay increase to recognise the prestige of his new show?

I propose a rule which is that the public-service broadcaster ought to provide what wouldn't be in its absence. Therefore, there is little argument for preventing Pat Kenny from defecting to Newstalk as he is staying in the system. But, as Finucane may retire, there is perhaps justification for paying her to remain.

*It is possible that there are other commitments included in his contract, e.g. TV docs

Quite interesting listening to good old Gaybo this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Callan57 wrote: »
    Quite interesting listening to good old Gaybo this morning

First time I heard something intelligent from him.

First time I heard something intelligent from him.

He got a few names wrong "senior moment" no doubt!
    I remember a guard telling me years ago that it was emphaised to them in Templemore that "everyones business is our business and our business is nobody's business" - that is still very much the mentality.
    I still think we need a Commissioner from outside the force - it should not be an automatic "in house" appointment especially in such a small country and with such a small force.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Callan57 wrote: »
    He got a few names wrong "senior moment" no doubt!
    I remember a guard telling me years ago that it was emphaised to them in Templemore that "everyones business is our business and our business is nobody's business" - that is still very much the mentality.
    I still think we need a Commissioner from outside the force - it should not be an automatic "in house" appointment especially in such a small country and with such a small force.

I was impressed with Gay's candour in expressing the view that there was always a culture within the Gardai that they "looked after" each other and their friends and acquaintances in the matter of minor offences. I know this from my own experience growing up in a rural area. We always knew who to go to when we wanted a "little matter" quashed. I availed of it myself a couple of times because an old school-pal of mine was a Garda.
    No Garda, or family-member of a Garda, would ever appear in court on a minor traffic offence. It was regarded by Gardai as simply a perk of the job that they could "fix" things like this.
    Of course we all knew it was wrong for Gardai to be doing this but we sort of regarded it as just "part of what we are".

Juice and yoga holidays :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I was impressed with Gay's candour in expressing the view that there was always a culture within the Gardai that they "looked after" each other and their friends and acquaintances in the matter of minor offences. I know this from my own experience growing up in a rural area. We always knew who to go to when we wanted a "little matter" quashed. I availed of it myself a couple of times because an old school-pal of mine was a Garda.
    No Garda, or family-member of a Garda, would ever appear in court on a minor traffic offence. It was regarded by Gardai as simply a perk of the job that they could "fix" things like this.
    Of course we all knew it was wrong for Gardai to be doing this but we sort of regarded it as just "part of what we are".

You are right - as Gay said though it must be galling for a guard out at 4am on a miserable winter night & then seeing the points they apply, maybe even to a repeat offender, being deleted by someone who was at home cosy in his/her bed. Hardly how you encourage a fair, hard working & dedicated ethos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Roger_007 wrote: »

+1.

It's pure unadulterated gombeenery.

I don't believe this is Gerry Conlon of the Guildford Four here.

He doesn't sound anything like Daniel Day Lewis. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

That's because he's talking to Miriam and you are listening to Marion...

Ah....

• Advertisement

I'd say in about twenty years, Julie Feeney will be in a mental hospital rocking back and forth singing to herself "you're impossibly beautiful, is that cos I'm waiting, is that cos I'm looking, or-s'it just cos you are"...

Best of luck with that difficult second album song..

Oh btw, I dont know if ye all heard this story, but this is bound to be discussed on the show..

Nulty resigns over 'inappropriate' Facebook messages
    Mr Nulty issued a statement saying he had sent "inappropriate messages via facebook", including "inadvertently sending one to a 17-year-old woman" whom he said he has never met. The 31-year-old said the "message was sent while under the influence of alcohol".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

This is really a joke.. She got the names of two of her contributors wrong today! ... She appears more like somebody who's just breezed in to the studio as the sig tune is starting, rather than somebody who has thoroughly and comprehensively prepared for the items that she will be discussing.. And she seems to be getting sloppier by the week.

All I'm hearing is begrudgery.

If you can deliver 350k listeners two mornings a week, you'll get a similar reward.

Clearly she is providing compelling radio listening for a big chunk of the listening nation and bringing in the advertisers that ultimately fund much of the less commercial and minority programming on RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

I'd say in about twenty years, Julie Feeney will be in a mental hospital rocking back and forth singing to herself "you're impossibly beautiful, is that cos I'm waiting, is that cos I'm looking, or-s'it just cos you are"...

Best of luck with that difficult second album song..
    I think Imelda May & your man from villagers might be joining her there

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

Hmmm.. Maybe it's the conspiracy theorist in me, but I'm beginning to look at that interview with Conor Lenihan (on the Saturday Night show a week or so ago) in a different light... Did he know this was coming down the tracks. ?

I was hoping they'd spend a bit more time talking about Nulty and his "indiscretions". They moved on too quickly.

I was hoping they'd spend a bit more time talking about Nulty and his "indiscretions". They moved on too quickly.

Not even a mention of the spanking... I'm very disappointed..

Apparently there's more stuff coming out about him, and his inapproprite emails to his female constituents.....

Brendan Keenan certainly could be accused of being a whistler blower... "The banks losses will be 5%".... And still introduced to us by RTE as an Economic expert....

Who is this guy with all the emotion of a sat nav?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Nulty moving to Kansas (different type of spanking)

".....Kansas bill would allow spanking that leaves marks, redness....."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/02/18/kansas-bill-would-allow-spanking-that-leaves-marks-redness/

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement