Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Is Marian hyperventilating..

Is this Oliver Callan's show?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Good Lord, someone better bring in the oxygen - is she going to do a Tommy Cooper live on the radio?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,356 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Bravo, Daniel!

Handled like a pro!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Daniel sing an ol song while the researchers carry out cpr in the background

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I've noticed this the last few weeks and it's really annoying. One of the guests is talking and you can tell Marian either is thinking about the next item or has no interest because she keeps saying "right right" sort of absently, when someone else would actually have some comment to make.
    Anyone else notice this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Just heard the last 10 minutes or so of the program. All I heard was two women who seemed to be competing with each other as to who had the most books to plug!

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Just heard the last 10 minutes or so of the program. All I heard was two women who seemed to be competing with each other as to who had the most books to plug!

It was interesting to hear about the struggles of women for equality. I mean people seem to think that it was always thus, but it wasnt long ago that a woman had to work four hours every week and got only 200 grand a year..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

Roger_007 wrote: »

If I am correct two of them Kay Sheehy and Mgt Ward are RTE employees.

Uhmmmmmmmm............

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I heard the frog is on 50 grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

-British Ambassador to Ireland: "We reckon there are about half a million living in GB who were born in Ireland"

-Marian Finucane: "Half a million? That's 25% of our...[pause]...isn't it?

No, Marian, our population is not two million!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

-British Ambassador to Ireland: "We reckon there are about half a million living in GB who were born in Ireland"

-Marian Finucane: "Half a million? That's 25% of our...[pause]...isn't it?

No, Marian, our population is not two million!

She must have gone to the Joe Duffy school of mathematics.

sligojoek wrote: »
    She must have gone to the Joe Duffy school of mathematics.

Well, it served her well in contract negotiations.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yvonne23R

Daniel was the bet part of the Show this morning, as much of it as I was able to hear. I'm more a George Hammilton man, over on Lyric. But poor Marian was really suffering from her lungs this morning. Probably due to teh fog and mist early on which are the very devil for delicate bronichals.

Yvonne23R wrote: »
    Daniel was the bet part of the Show this morning, as much of it as I was able to hear. I'm more a George Hammilton man, over on Lyric. But poor Marian was really suffering from her lungs this morning. Probably due to teh fog and mist early on which are the very devil for delicate bronichals.

I think she attributed it to a frog...

I'm listening to a replay of today's show. I usually only listen on Sundays, and even then only if the panel is interesting. Marian's role for that is as a moderator rather than interviewer. While there is plenty on Sundays for me to find wrong with her presenting abilities, it's only when you listen on Saturdays that her incompetence is fully on show! Be it her coughing, her clumsy phrasing of sentences (necessitating the lengthening of them so as to convey her meaning), or her lack of learning, few could argue that she is a capable broadcaster. I am young, so can't discount that she once was. But, Pat Kenny (who is older than she is) has retained his acuity, and could even be said to be improving with age; Finucane gets worse with every return from her extended summer breaks. However, a happy precedent has been set: Michael Murphy was recently only offered a six-month contract renewal as he will shortly be sixty-five y/o; Finucane will reach that age in fourteen months!

I should say that there are more factors to consider when evaluating a broadcaster. To many, she may provide comfort, familiarity, or other. But, evaluating her skills objectively results in only one conclusion: she is not worth the money she is paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

I'm listening to a replay of today's show. I usually only listen on Sundays, and even then only if the panel is interesting. Marian's role for that is as a moderator rather than interviewer. While there is plenty on Sundays for me to find wrong with her presenting abilities, it's only when you listen on Saturdays that her incompetence is fully on show! Be it her coughing, her clumsy phrasing of sentences (necessitating the lengthening of them so as to convey her meaning), or her lack of learning, few could argue that she is a capable broadcaster. I am young, so can't discount that she once was. But, Pat Kenny (who is older than she is) has retained his acuity, and could even be said to be improving with age; Finucane gets worse with every return from her extended summer breaks. However, a happy precedent has been set: Michael Murphy was recently only offered a six-month contract renewal as he will shortly be sixty-five y/o; Finucane will reach that age in fourteen months!

I should say that there are more factors to consider when evaluating a broadcaster. To many, she may provide comfort, familiarity, or other. But, evaluating her skills objectively results in only one conclusion: she is not worth the money she is paid.

I don't know about 14 months - the way she sounded this morning I was beginning to doubt she's make it to the sea area forecast. :)

Callan57 wrote: »
    I don't know about 14 months - the way she sounded this morning I was beginning to doubt she's make it to the sea area forecast. :)

Indeed. I propose the Angelus as her funeral march.

• Advertisement

Be it her coughing, her clumsy phrasing of sentences (necessitating the lengthening of them so as to convey her meaning), or her lack of learning, few could argue that she is a capable broadcaster.

I've made reference to this a few times. It was particularly bad last week when she got the names of TWO of her panelists wrong when introducing them.. This is just sloppy, and shows that she hasnt even read the guest's names before entering the studio, never mind the "week of TV watching / Radio Listening / Paper Reading" that she purports to do in preparation for every show..

The level of coughing and spluttering reached a new high yesterday. I'm not sure if she is ill, but you would have thought that a true professional would have given up the fags years back given the nature of the job. Maybe it's time to offer the show to Keelin Shanley, it's about time she got herself a front line radio show.. She should have been offered DriveTime a few years back, as she is infinitely better than Mary Wilson.

My god, who ever came up with that Brady Ham ad should be shot.... NO, the people who approved it should be shot...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

My god, who ever came up with that Brady Ham ad should be shot.... NO, the people who approved it should be shot...

I ham going to shoot them.

They are going on way too long about this "media reporting of MH370" section without telling us anything new.. Which is kind of ironic when you think about it.

Annoyed that it's still not possible to listen to a playback of today's show. What am I doing instead? Listening to Newstalk's Sunday Show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

My thoughts entirely. Gave up listening to her regularly several years ago. It's only by chance I'd get some exposure to her and even then it's as brief as I can stand it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭roran

The only sensible point you make in your diatribe of what I interpret as spite, is that 'you are young'.
    I have listened to Marian for over 40 years as a broadcaster, and she is all of that - a broadcaster- and her track record and listenership are not tuning in for old-time sake - look at her JNLR figures. Yes, we are all wrong whilst you Johnny are right as always....
    Grow up some of you. :D:D:D

roran wrote: »
    The only sensible point you make in your diatribe of what I interpret as spite, is that 'you are young'.
    I have listened to Marian for over 40 years as a broadcaster, and she is all of that - a broadcaster- and her track record and listenership are not tuning in for old-time sake - look at her JNLR figures. Yes, we are all wrong whilst you Johnny are right as always....
    Grow up some of you. :D:D:D

You present two rebuttals: that you believe her to be a broadcaster and that the JNLR figures remain strong.

I think we are all in agreement that, by virtue of having been on air for the last few decades, she is a broadcaster.

To discuss the JNLRs, you need to be familiar with how they are compiled. Each quarterly report (for weekend listening) relies on the responses of 1100 people. To be counted as having listened to a programme, one need only have listened to one 15-minute block (actually one need only have listened to eight minutes of one block) - in Finucane's case, threre are eight blocks across two hours. Her show is on the weekend, when a lot of people drive and are not working. Only her programme and Sport are longer than one hour, which means that she has potential to catch more listeners. She is also well known, has a show which attracts notable guests, and appears on the station with a Reach twice as large as its nearest competitor. This is all to her show's advantage when the interviewer calls to someone's door and asks them to recollect what their listening pattern had been days previously.

I would be most willing to address any other points on which we disagree, but I humbly submit that growing up will not cause me to see the error in my ways.

I think Marian Finucane is holding up well considering how long she's been at it and covering such a huge range of topics on her programme, although I don't listen to it too often. The item with Daniel O'Donnell on Saturday shows how she can touch anyone.

I think Marian Finucane is holding up well considering how long she's been at it and covering such a huge range of topics on her programme, although I don't listen to it too often. The item with Daniel O'Donnell on Saturday shows how she can touch anyone.

What do you mean, "Considering how long she's been at it"?! John Humphrys is seventy; Pat Kenny is older than she is. Age shouldn't be an excuse.

What do you mean, "Considering how long she's been at it"?! John Humphrys is seventy; Pat Kenny is older than she is. Age shouldn't be an excuse.

I know, but you see it's harder for women. There's the Glass Ceiling to be shattered. And then women are seen by the executives as having a shorter shelf life than men. Men get distinguished and women get old in TV and radio. It's deeply unfair and fair play to Marian for keeping going and not giving in. They might want to put a young dolly bird in there but she's in pole position.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Yep, the hacking and gasping for breath really got me in the feels.........

I know, but you see it's harder for women. There's the Glass Ceiling to be shattered. And then women are seen by the executives as having a shorter shelf life than men. Men get distinguished and women get old in TV and radio. It's deeply unfair and fair play to Marian for keeping going and not giving in. They might want to put a young dolly bird in there but she's in pole position.

I reject any suggestion that the above may be the cause of my dislike of Finucane. Two women in radio spring to mind who are decidedly distinguished in old age: Olivia O'Leary and Kate Adie (of BBC's From Our Own Correspondent). However, I agree that it is a complete injustice that such an excellent presenter as Mary Beard, for instance, should be disparaged because of appearance or age.

You present two rebuttals: that you believe her to be a broadcaster and that the JNLR figures remain strong.

I think we are all in agreement that, by virtue of having been on air for the last few decades, she is a broadcaster.

To discuss the JNLRs, you need to be familiar with how they are compiled. Each quarterly report (for weekend listening) relies on the responses of 1100 people. To be counted as having listened to a programme, one need only have listened to one 15-minute block (actually one need only have listened to eight minutes of one block) - in Finucane's case, threre are eight blocks across two hours. Her show is on the weekend, when a lot of people drive and are not working. Only her programme and Sport are longer than one hour, which means that she has potential to catch more listeners. She is also well known, has a show which attracts notable guests, and appears on the station with a Reach twice as large as its nearest competitor. This is all to her show's advantage when the interviewer calls to someone's door and asks them to recollect what their listening pattern had been days previously.

I would be most willing to address any other points on which we disagree, but I humbly submit that growing up will not cause me to see the error in my ways.

Thanks for the lecture, Denis, really appreciate it for putting me 'in the know' on figures... just realised that you haven't figured out that Marian is pulling in the listeners (and the revenue). But do keep trying.
    Oh, btw, at my age, I have learned that one never stops learning and ideas once held do change over time. Don't give up - keep trying! :p:p

Thanks for the lecture, Denis, really appreciate it for putting me 'in the know' on figures... just realised that you haven't figured out that Marian is pulling in the listeners (and the revenue). But do keep trying.
    Oh, btw, at my age, I have learned that one never stops learning and ideas once held do change over time. Don't give up - keep trying! :p:p

Dennis? Is that supposed to be witty :p

Are you saying that ideas held inevitably change over time? Am I going to become racist in my dotage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

I have listened to Marian for over 40 years as a broadcaster, and she is all of that - a broadcaster- and her track record and listenership are not tuning in for old-time sake - look at her JNLR figures.

Sorry, If you understood anything about the Radio business in Ireland you'd know that people do tune in for old times sake, especially stations like RTE Radio 1. When Marian is not on (and that's a lot of the time) the listership doesn't go down. Before she ever came along and occupied the Sunday Slot, the Sunday Show Used to get roughly the same figures.

The last time RTE went on Strike for a long time (about 5 weeks in 1992) almost all shows went off air, RTE Radio One went to Repeats and Mostly Music. The listenership figures at the time didn't move a inch. Most people I talked to at the time actually thought the station had improved. As long as you don't have something horribly offensive on those dials won't change.

Such are my morals that I feel it appropriate that I give the figures. Marian's Show unquestionably gets a kick (hers being the one in bold, with the other figures giving the listenership before and after)!

Saturday: 322k-376k-226k

Sunday: 261k-353k-177k

JNLR Top 30 | ilevel.ie

PLEASE bear in mind what I said in my previous post: notable guest, double the length, etc...
    Most people I talked to at the time actually thought the station had improved.

:D

Such are my morals that I feel it appropriate that I give the figures. Marian's Show unquestionably gets a kick (hers being the one in bold, with the other figures giving the listenership before and after)!

JNLR Top 30 | ilevel.ie

PLEASE bear in mind what I said in my previous post: notable guest, double the length, etc...

I believe in being fair as well, I would point out that the Sweet Spot for Radio listening in this Country is about 7am to 2pm Monday to Friday
    9 to 1 on Saturday and 11-1 on Sunday.

Her figures are good but She's on at Primetime on Both Days. If she were on 9-11 on Saturday and Sunday, you'd see no drop on her figures on the Saturday, but She'd lose 100,000 on the Sunday.

This isn't anything New, If you go back 25 years the figures were roughly the same. Mass and Sunday Service were going out on All frequencies during most of the Sunday Show run so that show would have been at a huge disadvantage (plus it was 30 minutes shorter) However, it had roughly the same figures as Marian.

Mass and Sunday Service were moved off to MW and then LW because listener-ship dropped off especially during the 90's (probably the one thing that made people move the dial!). Marian doesn't have to start from ridiculously low figures like the Sunday Show.

There's a reason the locals don't put on much before 11 on a Sunday, the listeners aren't there. Their Highest figures on a Sunday are also between 11-1.

Why is she getting 300k for a very limited broadcast output.

That's what puzzles me.

Like supply and demand is usually the criterium of salary scales.

Who would match that salary in the free market?

Are you saying that ideas held inevitably change over time? Am I going to become racist in my dotage?

[/QUOTE]

let me see now, does it mean Pop-eye will always be your favourite program? I don't think so, but you get my point....there is room for all of us to change our overtime. Maybe I could start to agree with you...:p :p

Dennis? Is that supposed to be witty :p

Ah Denis, come come. You are well able to dish out the dirt, but surely you can be tickled by a little ribbing...or does that much hurt?

Sorry, If you understood anything about the Radio business in Ireland you'd know that people do tune in for old times sake, especially stations like RTE Radio 1. When Marian is not on (and that's a lot of the time) the listership doesn't go down. Before she ever came along and occupied the Sunday Slot, the Sunday Show Used to get roughly the same figures.

It is true that I may not be as well versed in all matters radio, but I know what appeals to me...and Marian's programme is about tops of My Week. What's yours?

The last time RTE went on Strike for a long time (about 5 weeks in 1992) almost all shows went off air, RTE Radio One went to Repeats and Mostly Music. The listenership figures at the time didn't move a inch. Most people I talked to at the time actually thought the station had improved. As long as you don't have something horribly offensive on those dials won't change.

And while you are answering, perhaps you might roughly outline your vast radio experience, just that we know which expert school of radio knowledge you attended please? pacman.gifpacman.gif

• Advertisement

Most people I talked to at the time actually thought the station had improved. As long as you don't have something horribly offensive on those dials won't change.

Maybe you need to expand your circle of contacts?....just kidding, but I can see you actually believed them :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

JNLR Top 30 | ilevel.ie

You are not for turning, I can see that and really I don't wish to turn your viewpoint. Why don't you just turn the dial if you get so upset by Marians Programme. You have been elsewhere bellowing the brilliance of another radio station, Denis, so why not just tune in there and stay with what is good for you?

:D:D

That's what puzzles me.

It's the mad economics of RTE. She's on air 4 hours a week. Assuming that there's about 7 minutes of Adverting an Hour, She would have to Make over 400 euro an Minute during the Ad breaks just to pay her salary. That's not taking into account all the researchers, Producers, Background staff, Transmitter costs etc, etc.

Now there is no way that show makes 400 a minute during advertising Breaks. No one pays full ratecard prices. Also about half the ads aren't real ads, They're RTE supporting the Arts or such like. So that means that each ad minute would have to bring in nearly 800 euro a time. That's not happening.

A fair wage for her would be around 60,000 a year. It's what the real Market will give her. If she went to a competitor she might get as high as 100,000 if she were lucky.

To justify the 300,000 she would need to pull in double her current listener ship. Are those that stand in for her paid 300,000 a year?

That's what puzzles me.

Most other quality presenters, the only pity is that private radio does not have to declare their wages, but nobody moves for less pay, so there are some well informed contributors on this thread who are really good with figures, maybe they will let us all know? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Most other quality presenters, the only pity is that private radio does not have to declare their wages, but nobody moves for less pay, so there are some well informed contributors on this thread who are really good with figures, maybe they will let us all know? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

:confused:

WTF

And while you are answering, perhaps you might roughly outline your vast radio experience, just that we know which expert school of radio knowledge you attended please? pacman.gifpacman.gif

It doesn't really matter what my experience is (just to clarify 20+ years In broadcasting, Journalism, Marketing. Been to the uni's got the degrees)
    Figures are figures, and in RTE's case they don't add up when it comes to the top talent. No one in the commercial Sector is earning her level of wages for so little airtime. The advertising is not there.

The Station that does Pay outrageous money for a presenter (Newstalk) is funded and supported by a multimillionaire. If he pulled his support in the morning it would be off the air.

If you exclude RTE, top presenters don't get that sort of money, Never have, never will. There are only 4 and half Million in Ireland. If Tubbs goes to the UK to broadcast on BBC Radio 2, he'll have to take a paycut!

It's the mad economics of RTE. She's on air 4 hours a week. Assuming that there's about 7 minutes of Adverting an Hour, She would have to Make over 400 euro an Minute during the Ad breaks just to pay her salary. That's not taking into account all the researchers, Producers, Background staff, Transmitter costs etc, etc.

Now there is no way that show makes 400 a minute during advertising Breaks. No one pays full ratecard prices. Also about half the ads aren't real ads, They're RTE supporting the Arts or such like. So that means that each ad minute would have to bring in nearly 800 euro a time. That's not happening.

A fair wage for her would be around 60,000 a year. It's what the real Market will give her. If she went to a competitor she might get as high as 100,000 if she were lucky.

To justify the 300,000 she would need to pull in double her current listener ship. Are those that stand in for her paid 300,000 a year?

You just can't find a nice word in your body to say about Marian, can you? Pity.:eek:

:confused:

WTF

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

You just can't find a nice word in your body to say about Marian, can you? Pity.:eek:

Hold on just a second, This actually has very little to do with Marian. In my opinion she's a good broadcaster (Who needs to stop smoking if she hasn't already!) However, she's been given a huge contract from a semi-state body which could never be justified by any other broadcaster on this Island. If she moved to NewsTalk on the same rates she'd be on 750,000euro a year.

There are plenty that come on here that seem to have RTE chips on their shoulders, saying things like presenters are worth their ridiculous salaries, when in the real world they're all replaceable. That's all of them, no exceptions. Commercial Radio in this country does a pretty good job. The only reason RTE Radio 1 sounds that bit better is that it's not got as many ads. 2FM has been a lost cause since day one it seems.

• Advertisement

It doesn't really matter what my experience is (just to clarify 20+ years In broadcasting, Journalism, Marketing. Been to the uni's got the degrees)
    Figures are figures, and in RTE's case they don't add up when it comes to the top talent. No one in the commercial Sector is earning her level of wages for so little airtime. The advertising is not there.

The Station that does Pay outrageous money for a presenter (Newstalk) is funded and supported by a multimillionaire. If he pulled his support in the morning it would be off the air.

If you exclude RTE, top presenters don't get that sort of money, Never have, never will. There are only 4 and half Million in Ireland. If Tubbs goes to the UK to broadcast on BBC Radio 2, he'll have to take a paycut!

Now we're getting to the beef of it, so is your gripe
    1. Marians pay?
    2. Marians programme?
    3. Marian?

What a CV too! Are you broadcasting with all that behind you and which station?:confused::confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement