Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

roran wrote: »
    Now we're getting to the beef of it, so is your gripe
    1. Marians pay?
    2. Marians programme?
    3. Marian?

What a CV too! Are you broadcasting with all that behind you and which station?:confused::confused:

At a pinch I would say, like 99% of contributors here, it's Marian's pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

1. Marians pay?
    2. Marians programme?
    3. Marian?

What a CV too! Are you broadcasting with all that behind you and which station?:confused::confused:

First of all you asked for details of experience, you got them but now it's something to attack me with...

As for Marians Show

1. Pay, she's paid far too much for the show, far too much. It can't be justified on any level. The licence fee is the issue here. Terry Wogan was on roughly 800,000 pounds a year towards the end of his contract and he had 8 million listeners, and many thought that he was paid too much!

2. Her show is generally fine, but it could do with some polish. She coughs a lot and I don't have a problem with that, If she's not smoking. If she's smoking she should stop.

3. I personally have no problem with Marian. You seem to have a problem with everyone that says anything about Marian!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭roran

Hold on just a second, This actually has very little to do with Marian. In my opinion she's a good broadcaster (Who needs to stop smoking if she hasn't already!) However, she's been given a huge contract from a semi-state body which could never be justified by any other broadcaster on this Island. If she moved to NewsTalk on the same rates she'd be on 750,000euro a year.

There are plenty that come on here that seem to have RTE chips on their shoulders, saying things like presenters are worth their ridiculous salaries, when in the real world they're all replaceable. That's all of them, no exceptions. Commercial Radio in this country does a pretty good job. The only reason RTE Radio 1 sounds that bit better is that it's not got as many ads. 2FM has been a lost cause since day one it seems.

I'm really delighted that you love the commercial stations. One of my main reasons for supporting RTE1 is because it still offers a level of quality broadcasting that I like. I appreciate others may disagree with my viewpoint. For that reason, I couldn't listen to commercial, because the quality isn't there (or in small packets between the ads) that I can't take.
    How much would you decrease Marians salary to make it more acceptable to you?:(

At a pinch I would say, like 99% of contributors here, it's Marian's pay.

At another pinch, read back over the posts. Pretty personal towards Marian I would say.

At another pinch, read back over the posts. Pretty personal towards Marian I would say.

Not from me.

• Advertisement

First of all you asked for details of experience, you got them but now it's something to attack me with...

As for Marians Show

1. Pay, she's paid far too much for the show, far too much. It can't be justified on any level. The licence fee is the issue here. Terry Wogan was on roughly 800,000 pounds a year towards the end of his contract and he had 8 million listeners, and many thought that he was paid too much!

2. Her show is generally fine, but it could do with some polish. She coughs a lot and I don't have a problem with that, If she's not smoking. If she's smoking she should stop.

3. I personally have no problem with Marian. You seem to have a problem with everyone that says anything about Marian!

If I am perceived as attacking you (verbally), then is it the use of gripe or beef or how do you interpret this attack by me?

I want to be clear that I acknowledge your honesty in responses and you debate fairly. Points 1 and 2 are well made and I respect your point of view although I don't personally have a problem with any of the points that concern you. I actually think Marians voice will go down in the annals of broadcasting as one of the most unique and quality of our era and beyond (I don't condone smoking, but if they have helped carve out that voice, then I bow to that gift).
    On point 3, my gripe is with those brave contributors that have personally attacked Marian in a most vicious manner in earlier posts. Most unfair.

I'm really delighted that you love the commercial stations. One of my main reasons for supporting RTE1 is because it still offers a level of quality broadcasting that I like. I appreciate others may disagree with my viewpoint. For that reason, I couldn't listen to commercial, because the quality isn't there (or in small packets between the ads) that I can't take.
    How much would you decrease Marians salary to make it more acceptable to you?:(

RTE Radio One is a Good Station most of the time, there is a lot of it that I agree with. There is also some terrible stuff on it that isn't my cup of tea. I appreciate the fact that you like the station but in real terms Wages for certain members of the staff 5 years ago were ridiculous.

That has changed. The obvious Target for overpay has left. So you're only really left with two huge earners at the station. One is Joe Duffy, and he's probably the exception to the rule as he pulls in listeners when there's a natural downturn in listenership. The other is Marian.

I'd accept with her experience and such like to get 100,000 appox for the work that she does. Right now she only appears to work 40 weeks a year Max. In real term she's on about 1,800 euro an hour. That's nutty money in anyone's book.

I heard that she had Daniel on her show for about 15 minutes last weekend. Daniel is a good guest to have, Listeners like him and he's approachable. I have heard him give 15 minutes interviews on Local Radio Stations to excellent broadcasters.

Those broadcasters that are in some cases bringing in a quarter of Marians Numbers are only paid 500 or 600 euro a week. That's How much roughly Marian makes to talk to Daniel for 15 minutes!!!

So when Marian's contract finishes she should be offered 100,000 (I'm being generous) If she can get more elsewhere she should go elsewhere. I doubt she'd move.

Not from me.

I don't think I attributed you with personal attacks, I was referring to past contributions that are personal to Marian. But anyways, if you state you have not engaged as others have, I am glad to accept your word.

On point 3, my gripe is with those brave contributors that have personally attacked Marian in a most vicious manner in earlier posts. Most unfair.

That's fine but I didn't attack her. I actually have a lot of respect for her as a person and broadcaster. I do have a major problem with Management in RTE and also some of the Commercial Broadcasters. A lot of what goes on here wouldn't happen in Britain or in Europe.

I don't think I attributed you with personal attacks, I was referring to past contributions that are personal to Marian. But anyways, if you state you have not engaged as others have, I am glad to accept your word.

Thank you, I like Marian as a broadcaster but she does have her faults like most, and is paid WAY too much.

• Advertisement

RTE Radio One is a Good Station most of the time, there is a lot of it that I agree with. There is also some terrible stuff on it that isn't my cup of tea. I appreciate the fact that you like the station but in real terms Wages for certain members of the staff 5 years ago were ridiculous.

That has changed. The obvious Target for overpay has left. So you're only really left with two huge earners at the station. One is Joe Duffy, and he's probably the exception to the rule as he pulls in listeners when there's a natural downturn in listenership. The other is Marian.

I'd accept with her experience and such like to get 100,000 appox for the work that she does. Right now she only appears to work 40 weeks a year Max. In real term she's on about 1,800 euro an hour. That's nutty money in anyone's book.

I heard that she had Daniel on her show for about 15 minutes last weekend. Daniel is a good guest to have, Listeners like him and he's approachable. I have heard him give 15 minutes interviews on Local Radio Stations to excellent broadcasters.

Those broadcasters that are in some cases bringing in a quarter of Marians Numbers are only paid 500 or 600 euro a week. That's How much roughly Marian makes to talk to Daniel for 15 minutes!!!

So when Marian's contract finishes she should be offered 100,000 (I'm being generous) If she can get more elsewhere she should go elsewhere. I doubt she'd move.

I accept once again your point of view, but her salary isn't the biggest issue for me as a listener. If I were to worry about every last 'professional' and their salary, I would start my course of statins a little earlier.
    There are administrators who deal with pay levels and know the market better than you or I. I am happy to leave things like that to them in this era of cuts her current salary is fine by me (and I'd like to think many others) as I would be saddened to lose Marian from my station!

There are administrators who deal with pay levels and know the market better than you or I. I am happy to leave things like that to them in this era of cuts her current salary is fine by me (and I'd like to think many others) as I would be saddened to lose Marian from my station!

I,m not saying I know more than administrators in RTE, but just because someone has a job (or a job title) doesn't mean they know what they're doing. I could point out broadcasters that you think are hopeless yet they have the job, do they know more than you? Never assume that someone is better than you just because they hold a position of power.

I am not saying Marian should be turfed out. I'm saying she shouldn't be paid so much. I honestly believe she could have been offered half and she would still be on air Saturday and Sunday Mornings.

I,m not saying I know more than administrators in RTE, but just because someone has a job (or a job title) doesn't mean they know what they're doing. I could point out broadcasters that you think are hopeless yet they have the job, do they know more than you? Never assume that someone is better than you just because they hold a position of power.
    I don't. But my days are hectic enough without having to consider how much I should deem a 'professional's' pay-packet. We should start trusting those whose job it is in organisations to have that level of skill that the rest of us don't have to lose sleep over! I don't consider myself gullible, but I believe people (in this instance) in RTE know the balance of paying appropriately or losing valuable staff. Marian is gold-dust, but you would let her walk for no more than €100,000? I don't need to know Pat Kennys pay either, but those at Newsnight know how much he is worth to them and they will pay to have him there to bring up their listenership. And so they should! We don't need to worry! I would listen to Pat, but can't because of too many ads/promos...my choice. Marian would not get her salary if figures dropped considerably. Money talks, not you or me ;)

I don't. But my days are hectic enough without having to consider how much I should deem a 'professional's' pay-packet. We should start trusting those whose job it is in organisations to have that level of skill that the rest of us don't have to lose sleep over! I don't consider myself gullible, but I believe people (in this instance) in RTE know the balance of paying appropriately or losing valuable staff. Marian is gold-dust, but you would let her walk for no more than €100,000? I don't need to know Pat Kennys pay either, but those at Newsnight know how much he is worth to them and they will pay to have him there to bring up their listenership. And so they should! We don't need to worry! I would listen to Pat, but can't because of too many ads/promos...my choice. Marian would not get her salary if figures dropped considerably. Money talks, not you or me ;)

Marian would get her salary for as long as the contract lasts even if her figures were terrible. However, on the slot she is on they won't drop. I wouldn't let her walk because she probably wouldn't get a better offer at this time. They don't drop when others who are paid a lot less fill in for her, sometimes for months at a time.

Trust in so called professionals ruined the country a few years back. Just because someone has a job doesn't mean they have the ability. It doesn't worry me as I'm probably not going to be in the country this time next year. But if you live in a country and pay taxes and license fees you should worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

We should start trusting those whose job it is in organisations to have that level of skill that the rest of us don't have to lose sleep over!

I have the Magdalene laundries on line one for you.................. Rehab are on two......... the financial regulator on three........

I don't need to know Pat Kennys pay either, but those at Newsnight know how much he is worth to them and they will pay to have him there to bring up their listenership.

Yes roran, Pat Kenny left RTE radio 1 to go to Newsnight....... Newsnight
    You seem quite well informed.

mikom wrote: »
    I have the Magdalene laundries on line one for you.................. Rehab are on two......... the financial regulator on three........
    Love your sense of fun, mikom, but you can come off the phones now, if you are going to take up the worry beads over the level of pay you want to levy on Marian. Maybe you missed the thread altogether :D:D:D:D:D

mikom wrote: »
    Yes roran, Pat Kenny left RTE radio 1 to go to Newsnight....... Newsnight
    You seem quite well informed.

Caught you on that one mikom....and you never saw it coming...bliss is wha? :):):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Wow, this really kicked off in my absence! Forgive my numerous responses!
    Why is she getting 300k for a very limited broadcast output. That's what puzzles me.

Like supply and demand is usually the criterion of salary scales. Who would match that salary in the free market?

It's because she was once earning €570k! She's two years from retirement, so any bigger cut less than that would likely have caused her to leave in a huff and sell her "RTE shafted me in my old age" story to a newspaper! (I joke, btw: I'm not suggesting that would be characteristic of Finucane)

It is true that I may not be as well versed in all matters radio, but I know what appeals to me...and Marian's programme is about tops of My Week. What's yours?

I fully acknowledge that someone who doesn't appeal to me, may to you. But that doesn't mean that she's technically a good broadcaster! In a previous post, I concluded that as she has many flaws she doesn't deserve her salary. That was a flawed argument because she's not presenting Morning Ireland, say, where style matters; she's presenting a personalty show, which means that her worth ought to be based on listener loyalty, etc. I will return to what I think her salary ought to be below.

You are not for turning, I can see that and really I don't wish to turn your viewpoint. Why don't you just turn the dial if you get so upset by Marians Programme. You have been elsewhere bellowing the brilliance of another radio station, Denis, so why not just tune in there and stay with what is good for you? :D:D

Being young, I almost always podcast - so no dial-turning required!! :p To clarify, on another thread I said that I thought Newsnight's Newstalk's weekend offering had substantially improved. I said that, roran, as one who values Media diversity rather than as a trumpeter of commercial radio.

No one pays full ratecard prices.

A fair wage for her would be around 60,000 a year. It's what the real Market will give her. If she went to a competitor she might get as high as 100,000 if she were lucky.

Is that correct about the Ratecard? Last year's quoted €800 for a thirty-second spot.

I suggest that €60k is too low. I think her prominence should mean that she would warrant a base-salary of, say, €100k, and that every hour worked would be worth, say, 20k on top of that. I think €180k for a very popular presenter who has been a long-term RTE employee seems justifiable.

1. Marians pay?
    2. Marians programme?

I think she's paid too much, but am prepared to overlook her €295k salary, whereas I wasn't her €570k salary.

The programme is staid, and is in an enviable position, when it comes to attracting guests, of being the flagship entertainment programme.

When comparing RTE with BBC, Radio 1 is the only station that compares favourably. I greatly value it. The weekend output (except sport) is particularly good.

Tubridy is another huge earner, and George Hamilton and Derek Mooney were on €200k+ in 2011. It'll be interesting to see (in two years) what O'Rourke's salary increase was.

I am happy to leave things like that to them in this era of cuts her current salary is fine by me (and I'd like to think many others) as I would be saddened to lose Marian from my station!

Guess what, roran, I too would miss Finucane were she to leave! I think she is often unresearched, has a high opinion of herself and her opinions, and is over-rated, but I would miss the familiarity of having her - I associate her with driving somewhere pleasant on the weekend.

It's because she was once earning €570k! She's two years from retirement, so any bigger cut less than that would likely have caused her to leave in a huff and sell her "RTE shafted me in my old age" story to a newspaper! (I joke, btw: I'm not suggesting that would be characteristic of Finucane)

I fully acknowledge that someone who doesn't appeal to me, may to you. But that doesn't mean that she's technically a good broadcaster! In a previous post, I concluded that as she has many flaws she doesn't deserve her salary. That was a flawed argument because she's not presenting Morning Ireland, say, where style matters; she's presenting a personalty show, which means that her worth ought to be based on listener loyalty, etc. I will return to what I think her salary ought to be below.

Being young, I almost always podcast - so no dial-turning required!! :p To clarify, on another thread I said that I thought Newsnight's Newstalk's weekend offering had substantially improved. I said that, roran, as one who values Media diversity rather than as a trumpeter of commercial radio.

Is that correct about the Ratecard? Last year's quoted €800 for a thirty-second spot.

I suggest that €60k is too low. I think her prominence should mean that she would warrant a base-salary of, say, €100k, and that every hour worked would be worth, say, 20k on top of that. I think €180k for a very popular presenter who has been a long-term RTE employee seems justifiable.

I think she's paid too much, but am prepared to overlook her €295k salary, whereas I wasn't her €570k salary.

The programme is staid, and is in an enviable position, when it comes to attracting guests, of being the flagship entertainment programme.

When comparing RTE with BBC, Radio 1 is the only station that compares favourably. I greatly value it. The weekend output (except sport) is particularly good.

Tubridy is another huge earner, and George Hamilton and Derek Mooney were on €200k+ in 2011. It'll be interesting to see (in two years) what O'Rourke's salary increase was.

Guess what, roran, I too would miss Finucane were she to leave! I think she is often unresearched, has a high opinion of herself and her opinions, and is over-rated, but I would miss the familiarity of having her - I associate her with driving somewhere pleasant on the weekend.

We will all miss you too Denis :D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Bad sign when multiple smilies are rolled out.....

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yvonne23R

Yes, I agree. I remember when Marian was on Women Today, before Miriam was even born. I used to do the washing up after the dinner listening to herself and Doireann Ni Bhriain and Hillary Orpen. Nell, Mary and Nuala were often in as guests. What you say is true about Marian - she's no Angela Kerins. She gives great value and she's a link back to when Radio Eireann was in Henry Street with Joe Linnane and Gay Byrne. She's like comfort eating at the weekends in fact. I suppose she pulls in huge audiences as well so that she pays for herself.

• Advertisement

Yvonne23R wrote: »
    Yes, I agree. I remember when Marian was on Women Today, before Miriam was even born. I used to do the washing up after the dinner listening to herself and Doireann Ni Bhriain and Hillary Orpen. Nell, Mary and Nuala were often in as guests. What you say is true about Marian - she's no Angela Kerins. She gives great value and she's a link back to when Radio Eireann was in Henry Street with Joe Linnane and Gay Byrne. She's like comfort eating at the weekends in fact. I suppose she pulls in huge audiences as well so that she pays for herself.

God Almighty I thought we had agreed that 'pulling in huge audiences' was not the only criterium for an outrageous overblown salary.

I made the point that driver of the 42a pulls in huge numbers for Dublin Bus, that the checkout operators in Dunnes pull in huge revenue for Dunnes,the point being that the 'audience' or ' passengers' or customers' whatever the terminology appropriate to the firm ARE ALREADY THERE.

Like the driver on Dublin Bus and the Tesco or Dunnes worker,they are not going to get more from their competitors for the same output, neither is Marianq
    What bit of that do people not get?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

AH yes ... now there was a truly talented & cursading group of women. I think it is kinda sad when someone who was good in her day is happy to just coast through < 4 hours of ill researched waffle ... can't be a lot of job satisfaction in it but I guess a few months in Italy & you'd cope.

Callan57 wrote: »
    AH yes ... now there was a truly talented & cursading group of women. I think it is kinda sad when someone who was good in her day is happy to just coast through < 4 hours of ill researched waffle ... can't be a lot of job satisfaction in it but I guess a few months in Italy & you'd cope.

I remember a few years back RTE put in a studio in Marian's lovely home down the country to save her having to come up to Dublin in inclement weather. Is this ever used now? She would be able to present the Show from the comfort of her own lounge maybe. With Web cams it wouldn't be necessary for her to be in the same studio as her company of guests.

I remember a few years back RTE put in a studio in Marian's lovely home down the country to save her having to come up to Dublin in inclement weather. Is this ever used now? She would be able to present the Show from the comfort of her own lounge maybe. With Web cams it wouldn't be necessary for her to be in the same studio as her company of guests.

Trust me, if it were possible, Marian would have insisted on it :D:D

Some may find this clip of Marian Finucane as a student interesting.

Some may find this clip of Marian Finucane as a student interesting.

Didn't find it interesting as I couldn't play it.

Anyway apart from the usual nepotism, student activism is the other straight route into RTE.

Joe Duffy, Aine Lalor, Marian Finucane ......drone on..... Drone o n

Anyway apart from the usual nepotism, student activism is the other straight route into RTE.

Joe Duffy, Aine Lalor, Marian Finucane ......drone on..... Drone o n
    Aine Lawlor is excellent and a lovely lady. She is the making of the 1 o'clock News these days. She knows her stuff and she asks the hard questions. She is an example to everyone about getting in there and making a career out of nothing.

Joe Duffy too wasn't born with a silver spoon in his mouth but he rose up to become a serious radio star. I was really impressed with him yesterday I think it was when he got a thing going over some foreign brewery using Michael Collins on their beer bottles without his families permission. People who were phoning in were really angry about that and it must have pulled in the audiences.

And Marian had to break though herself at a time when women weren't welcome in RTE except to do the filing and make the tea. Look at Pan Collins say, auntie of Bob the former head of RTE. She was just the filing clerk for Gay Byrne for instance. And Gay was really good with women like Colette. "Roll over Colette" was a national catch phrase at one point in time.

Aine Lawlor is excellent and a lovely lady. She is the making of the 1 o'clock News these days. She knows her stuff and she asks the hard questions. She is an example to everyone about getting in there and making a career out of nothing.

Joe Duffy too wasn't born with a silver spoon in his mouth but he rose up to become a serious radio star. I was really impressed with him yesterday I think it was when he got a thing going over some foreign brewery using Michael Collins on their beer bottles without his families permission. People who were phoning in were really angry about that and it must have pulled in the audiences.

And Marian had to break though herself at a time when women weren't welcome in RTE except to do the filing and make the tea. Look at Pan Collins say, auntie of Bob the former head of RTE. She was just the filing clerk for Gay Byrne for instance. And Gay was really good with women like Colette. "Roll over Colette" was a national catch phrase at one point in time.

"Roll it Colette" actually.

Y why do you not address to post but try to go off on a tangent with every reply:D

Is there anything in my post that is not correct,could you address that issue for starters

Joe Duffy, Aine Lalor, Marian Finucane ......

Charlie Bird, Eoghan Harris...

• Advertisement

The Rate Card is the starting Point of a discussion. If you noticed there are all types of packages available. If everyone paid full ratecard figures Marian would be pulling in over 2 Million a year! RTE Radio One in 2012 pulled in €17,619,000 in all Commercial Activity! In Real terms Marian's show between ads and Sponsor brings in about 6 grand a show. However, It also brings in that much when she's not presenting.

Both Tubridy and Hamilton are worth what they're paid roughly. They could pick up jobs in the BBC in the morning at roughly the same rates. (Tubridy would have to take a 25 percent cut)

The Rate Card is the starting Point of a discussion. If you noticed there are all types of packages available. If everyone paid full ratecard figures Marian would be pulling in over 2 Million a year! RTE Radio One in 2012 pulled in €17,619,000 in all Commercial Activity! In Real terms Marian's show between ads and Sponsor brings in about 6 grand a show. However, It also brings in that much when she's not presenting.

Both Tubridy and Hamilton are worth what they're paid roughly. They could pick up jobs in the BBC in the morning at roughly the same rates. (Tubridy would have to take a 25 percent cut)

Thanks for your response. I must disagree with you on the second, though. There's no way Tubridy could get a job paying €375k at the BBC. It remains to be seen whether they'd take him for anything but the summer period.

I also meant that their salaries were questionable from the point of view of contribution: few would miss Hamilton's commentary or Tubridy's cringe-inducing LLS interviews.

Thanks for your response. I must disagree with you on the second, though. There's no way Tubridy could get a job paying €375k at the BBC. It remains to be seen whether they'd take him for anything but the summer period.

I also meant that their salaries were questionable from the point of view of contribution: few would miss Hamilton's commentary or Tubridy's cringe-inducing LLS interviews.

I can see where you're coming from but Hamilton has worked for the BBC before, (he was poached by RTE) and a Commentator at his level would be earning what he earns in RTE roughly.

As for Tubridy you might be right. However, He has hosted the Breakfast Show on BBC Radio Two for many months when Chris Evans was off, and he's done many weeks of the Drivetime show as well. These are big shows with Audiences in the millions. (about 7 million at breakfast) A good fill in Presenter at that station would be looking at about 200,000 Sterling a year plus you'd assume he'd get other work. (He appears to have a good agent.) So yes he would be able to get close to his RTE salary.

As for Tubridy you might be right. However, He has hosted the Breakfast Show on BBC Radio Two for many months when Chris Evans was off, and he's done many weeks of the Drivetime show as well. These are big shows with Audiences in the millions. (about 7 million at breakfast) A good fill in Presenter at that station would be looking at about 200,000 Sterling a year plus you'd assume he'd get other work. (He appears to have a good agent.) So yes he would be able to get close to his RTE salary.

Fair enough. It must be an odd experience going from 150k listeners to several million! Online forums aren't generally the best gauge of public opinion, but a UK one I had a look at, when he was last on, was scathing of his performance. In fairness, he's better at Radio than TV.

Fair enough. It must be an odd experience going from 150k listeners to several million! Online forums aren't generally the best gauge of public opinion, but a UK one I had a look at, when he was last on, was scathing of his performance. In fairness, he's better at Radio than TV.

You see, here is the nub of the question .

Tubs put himself out there went to the BBC and got what he could, and fair fcuks to him.

He put himself out there.Talked the talk ,walked the walk.

Contrast that with Marzie, put herself out,ya gotta be kidding .

That's whT salary should be based on

You see, here is the nub of the question .

Tubs put himself out there went to the BBC and got what he could, and fair fcuks to him.

He put himself out there.Talked the talk ,walked the walk.

Contrast that with Marzie, put herself out,ya gotta be kidding .

That's whT salary should be based on

I agree: he's made sacrifices to gain that experience, including spending the Christmas break filling in for Ken Bruce. If this article, which contradicts a number of other vague ones, is to be believed, he has also been incredibly principled in taking salary cuts - supposedly he only earns €80k more than Finucane for doing the flagship TV chat show plus ten hours of radio per week. However, I would sooner see him go from LLS than Finucane from the weekend. In other words, it may be necessary to keep Tubridy's salary high to prevent defection, but I'd be happy to see him cut free.

In fairness, when I said that his salary was too high, that's when I thought he was still on €495k. I think his roles (if not his talents) deserve the estimated €375k.

• Advertisement

I agree: he's made sacrifices to gain that experience, including spending the Christmas break filling in for Ken Bruce. If this article, which contradicts a number of other vague ones, is to be believed, he has also been incredibly principled in taking salary cuts - supposedly he only earns €80k more than Finucane for doing the flagship TV chat show plus ten hours of radio per week. However, I would sooner see him go from LLS than Finucane from the weekend. In other words, it may be necessary to keep Tubridy's salary high to prevent defection, but I'd be happy to see him cut free.

In fairness, when I said that his salary was too high, that's when I thought he was still on €495k. I think his roles (if not his talents) deserve the estimated €375k.

It's like free agency in American Football,after a certain period a player is entitled to put himself out as available for offers.

If the team employing him doesn't want to match the terms of of any offers that come in, off he goes.

That basically determines the pay packets of the players above the NFL minimum.

Marzie mightn't do too well under that system.

It's like free agency in American Football,after a certain period a player is entitled to put himself out as available for offers.

If the team employing him doesn't want to match the terms of of any offers that come in, off he goes.

That basically determines the pay packets of the players above the NFL minimum.

Marzie mightn't do too well under that system.

I see Ryan Tubridy has been snapped up by the BBC for later in the year. This will put the frighteners on RTE management because Marian could be the next Jenny Murray and do Woman's Hour or something like that.

I see Ryan Tubridy has been snapped up by the BBC for later in the year. This will put the frighteners on RTE management because Marian could be the next Jenny Murray and do Woman's Hour or something like that.

Erm...first, Finucane is only nine days younger than Murray. Second, do you really think that the notoriously fussy Radio 4 listenership would take to her?!

Erm...first, Finucane is only nine days younger than Murray. Second, do you really think that the notoriously fussy Radio 4 listenership would take to her?!

God Marian seems so young compared to Jenny Murray. I suppose it's that she acts young and not matronly.

God Marian seems so young compared to Jenny Murray. I suppose it's that she acts young and not matronly.

I would suggest you are the only person who has that supposition,and opinion or one of the very few.

• Advertisement

:D you are trying to wind people up aren't you?

Heh heh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

You thought a journalist would know it's the Private Residential Tenancy Board, not the Private Rental Tenancy Board...

I'm not sure what she's giving out about. I dont think it was ever feasible for one person to rent in Dublin, and pay somebody to look after a child, and work full time.. I think if you are a single parent you have to acknowledge that there will be certain concessions that you have to make and one of them is usually having to fall back on your parents whether that be for a place to stay or for childminding services.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Only Marian would grant airtime to someone who HAS to live in Terenure

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

my friend wrote: »
    Only Marian would grant airtime to someone who HAS to live in Terenure

the fuppn horror eh ?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

It's like old times .... all back to talking about houses again!

Also she's on 60K with the national broadcaster... i.e. she wont have the same threat of losing her job like those in private newspapers... Many other journalists have had to leave the country.. Given the stories going around about TV3 this week, it would have brought her "catastrophic situation" in to context for her.. On 60K, in this environment, she really isnt doing too badly..

After this interview, she may arrive back to Terenure and find her suitcases on the doorstep with a note saying "find somewhere else then you ungrateful bi-atch".. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

'Traumatic and horrendous' ... Rwanda? Syria?

No, Caoimhe ni Laighin Speaking of her moving back in with her mother in Terenure

I can see why she's single... Spoilt whiner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Had to turn off from this interview with Terenure woman when she started talking about the difficulties of moving back with Mum-the example she gave was her mum asking her yesterday what she had had for dinner! Had more sympathy for the other woman in Ringsend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,356 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Respirator on standby!

(Bill it to RTE).

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement