Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

i missed the bit about her being on 60k a year !

jesus luv , buy a gaf in tallaght and get over yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

This journo has no grasp of reality. She says she sees no reason why not to introduce rent control. What does she think will happen to the queues outside properties to let if rents are capped? More people willing to rent at the controlled price, less willing to let, hence greater shortages. That is just the market.

If she can't live in Terenure she'll have to move to Mullingar? What about Harold's Cross, Kimmage?

60k and can't find a place to live for two people?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

i missed the bit about her being on 60k a year !

jesus luv , buy a gaf in tallaght and get over yourself.
    i don't get why she has to be near her mother. i might have missed a bit but did she say her mother was ill or something and depending on her? friends of mine are renting in d6 and kids are in school in D4. they only want to buy in D4. do people only want to be walking distance from everything these days? what's wrong with driving and public transport. the world is gone mad on doubt about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

boombang wrote: »
    This journo has no grasp of reality. She says she sees no reason why not to introduce rent control. What does she think will happen to the queues outside properties to let if rents are capped? More people willing to rent at the controlled price, less willing to let, hence greater shortages. That is just the market.

If she can't live in Terenure she'll have to move to Mullingar? What about Harold's Cross, Kimmage?

60k and can't find a place to live for two people?

Every time any government gets involved in the property market it ends up making things worse - the law of unintended consequences kicks in.

doesnt help when they have skin in the game either.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Terenure

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

jesus is it just me or is this excruciating radio ?

it just never seems to end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Am I missing something, but is it not better that the system is slow so that people can't just adopt willy-nilly?

Also, can someone explain to me why someone who's able to have kids can adopt ahead of someone who can't?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Marian,
    You can't in one show express horror at how children were abused in Ireland over the past decades and in another question rigorous contemporary adoption assessment procedures.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

my friend wrote: »
    Marian,
    You can't in one show express horror at how children were abused in Ireland over the past decades and in another question rigorous contemporary adoption assessment procedures.
    I have every sympathy with people who have fertility problems but there is something so paternalistic about the rich white people going over to save the little black babies from their awful countries.

its come full circle then from when our lot used to flog kiddies to rich americans back in the 50s.

whats the bet 50 years from now some african joe duffy is biggin up its version of " philomena" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

its come full circle then from when our lot used to flog kiddies to rich americans back in the 50s.

whats the bet 50 years from now some african joe duffy is biggin up its version of " philomena" ?

Rather cretinous post there,I would suggest.

"Flog kiddies to rich Americans" don't let background and situations get in the way of a "catchy" remark

learn your history.

the irish state and its institutional hangerons have been exploiting children in this country for decades. even the fecking dead ones !

learn your history.

the irish state and its institutional hangerons have been exploiting children in this country for decades. even the fecking dead ones !

I know my history pal,and know enough to know that a lot more players were involved other than the Irish State and it's "hanger ons".

Get real buddy

and they ALL got paid in one form or another.

deal with it.

• Advertisement

and they ALL got paid in one form or another.

deal with it.

You might do better think out your posts before committing them to print, and trying to bluster with aggressive responses.

Doesn't fool me.

care to refute them then ?

cause theres been committes of investigations on the back of mine.

whats the bet 50 years from now some african joe duffy is biggin up its version of " philomena" ?[/QUOTE]

Ok let's kick it off.

What exactly do you mean by that,and how did you arrive at that opinion?

i meant that corrupt regiemes will happily sell kids to westeners.

we got people here getting kids from vietnam if they drop 10k dollars to the institutions involved.

dont tell me thats not dodgy and wont result in investigations down the road.

i meant that corrupt regiemes will happily sell kids to westeners.

we got people here getting kids from vietnam if they drop 10k dollars to the institutions involved.

dont tell me thats not dodgy and wont result in investigations down the road.

Does The Hague convention not cover that?

• Advertisement

ya'd think it would wouldnt you?

but its happening.

THATs whats gonna make it a scandal down the line.

ya'd think it would wouldnt you?

but its happening.

THATs whats gonna make it a scandal down the line.

Can you back that up?

course not !

im on an online forum anonymously. in not gonna start naming couples i know whove done it. just file it away in your head for when it breaks in a couple of decades time.

course ya could also ask around, i doubt im the only one who's seen example of it.

whats the bet 50 years from now some african joe duffy is biggin up its version of " philomena" ?[/QUOTE]

Ok let's kick it off.

What exactly do you mean by that,and how did you arrive at that opinion?

Now, who exactly are "our lot".

Exactly now !

the judiciary who took kids off their parents on spurious grounds and the laudries/orphanages who benefited financially farming them out to the yanks.

jesus dude have you paid any attention to what was going on in this country back then?

the judiciary who took kids off their parents on spurious grounds and the laudries/orphanages who benefited financially farming them out to the yanks.

jesus dude have you paid any attention to what was going on in this country back then?

"Judiciary took kids off their parents":eek:

Outline how you come to that conclusion?

Judiciary!

how do you think the kids ended up in the laudries/orphanages ?

the church didnt just run around collecting kids like in the savage eye , there needed to be court order declaring the parents were unfit.

why do you think the state burried this for as long as it could? the arms of the state are up to their necks in this stuff. all the kids that ended up in america for instance had to be processed by the civil service on the passport front.

how do you think the kids ended up in the laudries/orphanages ?

the church didnt just run around collecting kids like in the savage eye , there needed to be court order declaring the parents were unfit.

why do you think the state burried this for as long as it could? the arms of the state are up to their necks in this stuff. all the kids that ended up in america for instance had to be processed by the civil service on the passport front.

So it's all the states fault then?

Is that what you say nobody else had anything to do with it?

Nothing to do with the times and the attitude of the era?

where did i say that ?

corrupt members of the state were behind this. just like what happend in the medical areana in relation to kiddie organ trafficking in the 70s - 90s . if the institutions were ran properly none of it wouldve happened . but then again no one woulda got all the wonga.

where did i say that ?

corrupt members of the state were behind this. just like what happend in the medical areana in relation to kiddie organ trafficking in the 70s - 90s . if the institutions were ran properly none of it wouldve happened . but then again no one woulda got all the wonga.

Nuff said, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 BarryBrack1

I joined this boards thing specifically to write about Caoimhe ni Laighin. I know her quite well cos I work with her. Someone in work showed me the comments a few weeks and ive been interested since, although i think orginal thread is gone? I like her so I've been following in horror all the comments written about her since she did the Sunday Indo article.

Why the hell is everyone giving out about her? She's intelligent obviously from her piece this morning. She's not some dolly bird. She's just talking about high rents. I live over near Portobello and Im paying 1400 with my girlfriend and we find things tough. I earn 40k a year. The missus is a primary school teacher. So anyone who thinks she is rolling in it cos of her job of 60k obvs lives at home with there parents. She's a kid to support alone and was managing to balance it all until the latest rent hike....that is what im reading into it. I think there is some issue as well with a house and an ex who won' buy her out...but im not sure.

She is no posh bird and I can tell you there is no designer clothes or fancy stuff going on. She usually looks like she came in off a hike. I haven't talked to her about it cos I dont know her well enough to bring it up and Id be worried shed think i was online stalking her! but Id say shes very upset at all of this. Ive read her articles and heard her this morning on Finucane and thought she spoke really well. It really annoyed me when someone wrote about her giving about about her mother asking her what she had for dinner. God forbid she was trying to have a bit of a sense of humour. She also knew her stuff about the legal acts etc.

So just cop on all of ye, would you?! If she was a single mother on benefits being evicted youd all be sympahetic. Just cos shes got a very average job in the media and is articulate shouldnt make her a target for abuse.

I joined this boards thing specifically to write about Caoimhe ni Laighin. I know her quite well cos I work with her. Someone in work showed me the comments a few weeks and ive been interested since, although i think orginal thread is gone? I like her so I've been following in horror all the comments written about her since she did the Sunday Indo article.

Why the hell is everyone giving out about her? She's intelligent obviously from her piece this morning. She's not some dolly bird. She's just talking about high rents. I live over near Portobello and Im paying 1400 with my girlfriend and we find things tough. I earn 40k a year. The missus is a primary school teacher. So anyone who thinks she is rolling in it cos of her job of 60k obvs lives at home with there parents. She's a kid to support alone and was managing to balance it all until the latest rent hike....that is what im reading into it. I think there is some issue as well with a house and an ex who won' buy her out...but im not sure.

She is no posh bird and I can tell you there is no designer clothes or fancy stuff going on. She usually looks like she came in off a hike. I haven't talked to her about it cos I dont know her well enough to bring it up and Id be worried shed think i was online stalking her! but Id say shes very upset at all of this. Ive read her articles and heard her this morning on Finucane and thought she spoke really well. It really annoyed me when someone wrote about her giving about about her mother asking her what she had for dinner. God forbid she was trying to have a bit of a sense of humour. She also knew her stuff about the legal acts etc.

So just cop on all of ye, would you?! If she was a single mother on benefits being evicted youd all be sympahetic. Just cos shes got a very average job in the media and is articulate shouldnt make her a target for abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

So anyone who thinks she is rolling in it cos of her job of 60k obvs lives at home with there parents

The irony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

You can say that again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

What is the point in coming to a corner of the internet ("this boards thing") and rebuking posters for giving their opinions?

Not a great debut effort, either.

I am just trying to stand up for this lovely lady. Because shes lovely. And a lady. I dont mean to insult anyone. The comments I read on her just made me very sad and angry cos I know her. I always agree with her and think shes very clever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

What is the point in coming to a corner of the internet ("this boards thing") and rebuking posters for giving their opinions?...
    This is a discussion forum. Saying that you think others' posts are unreasonable or unfair is part of discussion.

There are two strand in the discussion that don't work well together: the idea that she is on big money at €60k pa, and the idea that she should not expect to be able to rent a place in or near Terenure when she is supposedly on big money.

Yes, Terenure is a nice place to live, certainly in the top 10 Dublin locations. What's wrong with drawing attention to the fact that rents in such neighbourhoods are out of the range of people with reasonably good jobs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I commented about the dinner. I do have some sympathy for her situation but think that she doesn't portray it well. In my opinion, that comment (& the one about her niece) don't reflect well on her. To be honest, I'm surprised that you took offence at my comment when there have been really bad (& inappropriate) comments regarding her article in the Indo.

I am just trying to stand up for this lovely lady. Because shes lovely. And a lady. I dont mean to insult anyone. The comments I read on her just made me very sad and angry cos I know her. I always agree with her and think shes very clever.

Now you make me feel bad, BarryBrack1! I understand how you would feel aggrieved when one you know is being traduced.

This is a discussion forum. Satying that you think others' posts are unreasonable or unfair is part of discussion.

That is not what he was saying! He was attacking the posters, and accusing them of abusing the person in question. Those don't strike me as being particularly conducive to discussion.

• Advertisement

I'm listening to the interview now, and I don't understand about her salary. Marian is the one who mentioned €60k. Was she speculating, or had she been told before the interview?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Very clever...... hmmm.
    Would you say she is a good decision maker?

SNIP

I don't wish to continue this exchange. It is assumed that Caoimhe ni Laighin will never read these posts, so therefore it's not abuse. Were she to announce herself, any subsequent posts in that vein would be.

honeybear wrote: »
    I commented about the dinner. I do have some sympathy for her situation but think that she doesn't portray it well. In my opinion, that comment (& the one about her niece) don't reflect well on her. To be honest, I'm surprised that you took offence at my comment when there have been really bad (& inappropriate) comments regarding her article in the Indo.

I'm annoyed about ur comment (again, I'm not having a go at u personaly).... because it shows that u completely don't get that she was JOKING.

Shes taking the piss out of herself more than anything. The article was very funny, I thought. It wasn't news. But I doubt she meant it to be. It was colour.

And do u really think she went on Finucane and slagged off her mam and niece? She referred 2 herself as an overgrown baby as well!

I wud personaly question her decision to rite in the Sunday Indo. It was unwise. And the foto looked bad. I dunno if she chose this.

Re 60k... alone... that's not a big salary at all. People are just talking nonsense saying there r plenty of affordable places. There's not. Look at daft. I'd say she's on 50 anyway.... cant imagine 60.

I know her dad died some months back. Mayb she doesn't want 2 go 2 far from her ma.

Anyway.... shudnt even b writin this stuff bout her.

The whole point is bout rental market.

Dunno why you are all trying to rip the girl apart and tear wholes in her 'story'.

Its not about her. She was just using herself as an example of someone who shud b able 2 live but cant.

Re 60k... alone... that's not a big salary at all. People are just talking nonsense saying there r plenty of affordable places. There's not. Look at daft. I'd say she's on 50 anyway.... cant imagine 60.

I think we have to go by the €60k figure, or none at all. According to this article, "62% of households have a gross income below ... €56,500."

I think we have to go by the €60k figure, or none at all. According to this article, "62% of households have a gross income below ... €56,500."

Look, man. Im not a journo. I dont have the facts and figures.

But Me and the missus 'rake in' 79 between the 2 of us. We're counting our bus fares at the end of every month.

If your quoting national statistic there, please remember most of Ireland don't live in dub. My bro earns bout 50k. His missus doesn't work. They've two kids and he's renting a 4 bed place near Ardee at moment for 400 a month! Ya need to compare like with like man.

Even if shes earning 60 (just dont buy that for a sec).... shes gonna have difficulty paying out bout 2k a month alone on bills on rent.

Me and the missus have 2k in rent and bills so im guessing shed b the same. We find we can barely cover it on our combined salary with all our private health insurance etc. So totally buy that Capimhe cant. Dunno how much she pays 4 that house down country either.

The thing that annoys me bout this whole thread is that even politicians are talking about our rent and housing crisis. Its bin recognised it exists. Yet yer all going on as if this girl is talking through her backside.

She's telling the truth. Well, her truth anyway.

And of course she's read all this rubbish online. She referred to it on her twitter. All those media types - even the nice ones like Caoimhe - r self obsessed. She'll have googled all of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I'm annoyed about ur comment (again, I'm not having a go at u personaly).... because it shows that u completely don't get that she was JOKING.

Shes taking the piss out of herself more than anything. The article was very funny, I thought. It wasn't news. But I doubt she meant it to be. It was colour.

And do u really think she went on Finucane and slagged off her mam and niece? She referred 2 herself as an overgrown baby as well!

I wud personaly question her decision to rite in the Sunday Indo. It was unwise. And the foto looked bad. I dunno if she chose this.

I know her dad died some months back. Mayb she doesn't want 2 go 2 far from her ma.

Anyway.... shudnt even b writin this stuff bout her.

The whole point is bout rental market.

Dunno why you are all trying to rip the girl apart and tear wholes in her 'story'.

Its not about her. She was just using herself as an example of someone who shud b able 2 live but cant.

Gosh, I feel like I'm being attacked now!
    Therefore, I'm going to bite my lip and not respond on this discussion subject again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Wait one minute, she is obviously a lovely lady and worth every penny and more. Why shouldnt she have a mansion in Dalkey like the rest of them? :rolleyes::pac: Oh and shes clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

as i said in a previous post i dont understand why she has to live in Terenure.. all down through the years people have had to move from the country where rents are cheaper, to Dublin where the jobs are. I am sure they would like to have stayed nearer their families. she didn't come across as being willing to be flexible or to compromise on where she would live. sometimes we just can't have it all.

as i said in a previous post i dont understand why she has to live in Terenure.. all down through the years people have had to move from the country where rents are cheaper, to Dublin where the jobs are. I am sure they would like to have stayed nearer their families. she didn't come across as being willing to be flexible or to compromise on where she would live. sometimes we just can't have it all.

Her Mom lives in Terenure, she has to live near her Mom for child minding.

Terenure isn't the issue, living near her Mom is.

Now does that make it clear.

Dude, she says quite clearly in her interview she needed to live near her mam for childminding. Its her childminding she needs not terenure. And she says shed live anywhere in distance, not just there. Go on daft and look at decent places in less well off areas. They r really expensive 2. Waterville in Blanch... saw one 4 1300 last wk

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement