Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 BarryBrack1

Calhoun wrote: »
    Wait one minute, she is obviously a lovely lady and worth every penny and more. Why shouldnt she have a mansion in Dalkey like the rest of them? :rolleyes::pac: Oh and shes clever.

Here just stupid thing 2 say. She was living in a small 2 bed in 6 west or whatever. Not a mansion in Dalkey. Im leaving this convo now cos I just cant believe the ignorance of the people on it. I shouldn't have even tried 2 defend her cos ive made thread longer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

I'm annoyed about ur comment (again, I'm not having a go at u personaly).... because it shows that u completely don't get that she was JOKING. Shes taking the piss out of herself more than anything.

tbh, I didnt get whether she was being funny or being serious.. I assumed that she was being funny, but it was a very dry delivery so one could be forgiven for thinking that she was actually being serious.

I dont think anybody has a big problem with Caoimhe. I'm sure she's a nice girl, but I'm not sure why her situation is worthy of twenty minutes of national air time. I think what irks people is that she is on very good money in a permanent job, in a time when a lot of people have nothing, and she is complaining about not being able to live in the "better" area of Dublin.

Everybody has their financial troubles and I dont think she is at the top of the list of the worst cases, not by far.. You'd want to meet some of the people I know who used to run their own businesses.. :(

"We've had a really positive response from the Diaspora"... How many times are the GAA gonna fight the strawman argument.. The argument is NOT that it is a bad idea to make the games available to emigrants.. The argument is that it is very unfair to expect club members and volunteers to have to pay to watch their own county..

They are two separate issues, and it is completely disingenuous of the GAA to present the argument as if it would not have been possible to show the games to emigrants without charging the people here.. Really underhanded..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Mary (brass neck) Hanafin back ... who gives a dam what she thinks about anything?

"Fiona Looney creator of Celebrity Banaisteoir"

She had to fight in the courts for that credit, as some other lad claimed that she stole the idea.. I dont think I would have stood up in court and said I was responsible for that rubbish..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

"Fiona Looney creator of Celebrity Banaisteoir"

She had to fight in the courts for that credit, as some other lad claimed that she stole the idea.. I dont think I would have stood up in court and said I was responsible for that rubbish..

And she's a playwright as well. Don't forget she's a playwright ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

And she's a playwright as well. Don't forget she's a playwright ;)

Chancer

Hanafin loves the name dropping and making herself out to be very important..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Marian sounds bored

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

He's not still President, Marian...

Jimmy Carter seems to have been around since God was a child.... (as Marian would say).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

So far, none of the questions was a spontaneous response to what Carter had said - ie they were pre prepared. Why then does it take so long to ask them?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Callan57 wrote: »
    Mary (brass neck) Hanafin back ... who gives a dam what she thinks about anything?

My OH calls her Fianna Fail's Regina Doherty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Fiona hot footing it back to the studio to get an apology in before the show ends

Oops69 wrote: »
    Fiona hot footing it back to the studio to get an apology in before the show ends

She probably thought she had plenty of time, but when she got back there at 12.50 the studio was empty and Marian was out the gap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Only took Aine an hour and a bit to restrain the girly guffaw , she off now , that's it for the rest of the weekend .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

That American woman, Nicole Mary Kelby, who contributed to the first lady segment could read me a bedtime story anytime.

Who is this pal of Flannery they have defending him.. Apparently Frank Flannery is the victim now.. The guy was essentially as a double agent, working as a Government advisor and being paid by Rehab to lobby the same Goverment he's advising.

Rehab and Flannery kept this secret until they were forced to disclose it, so it was pretty clear that they could see how unhappy the public would be with it. It's simply not believable that there was no conflict of interest or that he could not see any conflict of interest. He was just happy to get the extra pocket money.

Who is this pal of Flannery they have defending him.. Apparently Frank Flannery is the victim now.. The guy was essentially as a double agent, working as a Government advisor and being paid by Rehab to lobby the same Goverment he's advising.

Rehab and Flannery kept this secret until they were forced to disclose it, so it was pretty clear that they could see how unhappy the public would be with it. It's simply not believable that there was no conflict of interest or that he could not see any conflict of interest. He was just happy to get the extra pocket money.

All the cheerleaders have been rolled out for Flannery today.

Fergus Finlay's comment about Michael Twee's silly affected accent was quickly brushed aside by Aine. It seems that RTE's love-in with the President is continuing indefinitely.

Fergus Finlay's comment about Michael Twee's silly affected accent was quickly brushed aside by Aine. It seems that RTE's love-in with the President is continuing indefinitely.

Morning Harry, I didnt hear that bit.. But it's not the first time I've heard Michael's embellished English accent. On the panel discussion yesterday they were joking that he went two classes higher as the week went on.

I did think it was funny that after the Queen spoke...(her who is usually parodied as being very posh and start every sentence with "One").. Michael D steps up and makes them all sound like a bunch of commoners... :pac:

• Advertisement

ffs, is somebody writing out the shopping list?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Who is this pal of Flannery they have defending him.. Apparently Frank Flannery is the victim now.. The guy was essentially as a double agent, working as a Government advisor and being paid by Rehab to lobby the same Goverment he's advising....
    Are you sure that he was doing both things at the same time?

Climate Change: Boring subject, waste of time.

Unless the BRIC countries do something about their waste emissions, then it's a pointless conversation.

It still baffles me as to why Fergus Finlay "volunteers" himself as the spokesperson for the charity sector any time there is a panel show. He's on over 100k from a much smaller charity than Rehab, and that has no private industry side (as Rehab does) to their business.. The first 100k from the Barnardos bucket goes to Fergus before anything goes to the children so I wont be giving them anything.

It still baffles me as to why Fergus Finlay "volunteers" himself as the spokesperson for the charity sector any time there is a panel show. He's on over 100k from a much smaller charity than Rehab, and that has no private industry side (as Rehab does) to their business.. The first 100k from the Barnardos bucket goes to Fergus before anything goes to the children so I wont be giving them anything.

And yer man Colm O'Gorman gets 90k from his job with Amnesty International Ireland. Nice work if you can get it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

And yer man Colm O'Gorman gets 90k from his job with Amnesty International Ireland. Nice work if you can get it.

I think the delegates voted to have that slashed to 30 k this weekend. It was certainly proposed on Friday!

• Advertisement

I've watched a good bit of the Pistorius trial and the carry on is shocking... The State prosecutor showed a video of Pistorius shooting a water melon with a hand pistol, then showed a picture of Reeva's head after the shooting, and accused him of doing the same thing to Reeva's head.

Oh and I think he's guilty btw.

I think the delegates voted to have that slashed to 30 k this weekend. It was certainly proposed on Friday!

As far as I know, it was defeated.

Edit:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/amnesty-members-vote-to-maintain-colm-o-gorman-salary-1.1760582

Bid to reduce Amnesty chief's salary by €64,000
    A MOTION going before the annual conference of Amnesty International Ireland will seek to reduce the salary of its executive director Colm O'Gorman by more than €60,000.

I missed that in the news.. Who do you complain to about your human rights when Amnesty cuts your wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Quote from guest on show:
    "It's not all about you Aine"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

honeybear wrote: »
    Quote from guest on show:
    "It's not all about you Aine"

It was a JOKE ffs! In response to a jokey remark from Áine! Can they not even make a joke any more these days???

Jaysus, the amount of petty sniping in this thread is unbelievable :mad:

For the record, I thought it was a very enjoyable show today, and always enjoy Áine's presenting style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    It was a JOKE ffs! In response to a jokey remark from Áine! Can they not even make a joke any more these days???

For the record, I thought it was a very enjoyable show today, and always enjoy Áine's presenting style.

I think that she talks too much. I like presenters that ask the questions and oversee the discussions. Just thought that this quote highlighted this.

That fella Pat Wallace takes himself a bit too seriously. He didn't appreciate any jokey remarks about Brian Boru or the Vikings. He'd want to loosen up a bit.

So do I ,but today she annoyed the fx out of me the way she kept talking over people.

A lot of 'wise after the event merchants' on today.

The reason all this kerfuffle on the charity scene is that they have been caught out.

Nothing would have changed if this didn't happen.Nothing.

And I am getting a little tired of Fergus Finlay being foisted on me Sunday after Sunday.

One geezer used the show to plug his events big time, otherwise fairly mundane show.

Presume Marzie is Eastering abroad ?

So do I ,but today she annoyed the fx out of me the way she kept talking over people.

A lot of 'wise after the event merchants' on today.

The reason all this kerfuffle on the charity scene is that they have been caught out.

Nothing would have changed if this didn't happen.Nothing.

And I am getting a little tired of Fergus Finlay being foisted on me Sunday after Sunday.

One geezer used the show to plug his events big time, otherwise fairly mundane show.

Presume Marzie is Eastering abroad ?

Re the charity "wise in hindsight" remark - is that not always the case? People do what they do until such time as they're stopped/found out/see the light? The Rehab crowd clearly didn't see themselves as a "charity" per se, so they were following the usual rules of business - get away with as much as you can without getting caught (except they did).

Re "Marzie Eastering abroad" - another cheap shot. She's back next weekend, according to Áine, so is clearly NOT Eastering abroad.

I for one will be sorry, would much prefer to hear Áine again, but no need for yet more snide remarks.

Re the charity "wise in hindsight" remark - is that not always the case? People do what they do until such time as they're stopped/found out/see the light? The Rehab crowd clearly didn't see themselves as a "charity" per se, so they were following the usual rules of business - get away with as much as you can without getting caught (except they did).

Re "Marzie Eastering abroad" - another cheap shot. She's back next weekend, according to Áine, so is clearly NOT Eastering abroad.

I for one will be sorry, would much prefer to hear Áine again, but no need for yet more snide remarks.

I would suggest you are inferring a lot more than the reality into my post.

"Cheap shots" "Snide remarks":confused:

Ref the hindsight situation,I would really hope that there are SOME people out there who do not abuse 'the system' and have the guts and gumption to do what is right and proper and have the self discipline to 'police' themselves and follow the rules.

I found you'd your post quite distasteful and arrogant .

I would suggest you are inferring a lot more than the reality into my post.

"Cheap shots" "Snide remarks":confused:

Ref the hindsight situation,I would really hope that there are SOME people out there who do not abuse 'the system' and have the guts and gumption to do what is right and proper and have the self discipline to 'police' themselves and follow the rules.

I found you'd your post quite distasteful and arrogant .

I stand over the"cheap shots"remark as that's what I think it was (you're far from the only one, just happened to be your post I was responding to).

I'd have said the rest of my post was more cynical than arrogant, apologies if that's how it came across. Certainly wasn't meant to be arrogant.

I stand over the"cheap shots"remark as that's what I think it was (you're far from the only one, just happened to be your post I was responding to).

I'd have said the rest of my post was more cynical than arrogant, apologies if that's how it came across. Certainly wasn't meant to be arrogant.

I'm supposed to be mollified by that post?

Well ,I'm not.

Out of order mate.

No.

I thought I'd do you the courtesy of explaining my post, the tone of which you appeared to have read wrong.

However my explanation doesn't seem to have gone down any better, so I'll leave it at that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭A.J.Plumb

"Cheap shots" and ""snide remarks "are fairly difficult to confuse.

You called out the OP and he rightly took you to task.....you a teacher would be my call......this is an adults forum pilgrim.

Think on that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'd thought she'd have taken this weekend off, but fair play she's there.

The wolf tones ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Just tuned in. Are these the Real Wolfe Tones, or the Continuity version?

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Just tuned in. Are these the Real Wolfe Tones, or the Continuity version?

Could be the provisional Wolfe tones ?

So the lads think they had a part to play to in the peace process. The vast majority of their songs as far I've heard were anti british.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Could be the provisional Wolfe tones ?

Well whichever.....I have zero interest in their rabble-rousing rubbish......as they say in Dragons Den, "I'm out".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

WTs are smug, self-centered, self-serving, two-faced, war-profiteering irredentists. Obviously they "support the peace process", bizarrely try to take credit for the peace process, while blatantly rejecting the actual terms of the peace process.

Well Marian introduced Derek as Brian or vice versa... Sloppy yet again... Surely she must have been informed or known of the "troubles" in the band themselves...

I always find it hard to warm to The Wolf Tones. Something false about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Nice to hear songs about the IRA murder machine on the easter weekend

OH not this fekn whingebag again... Going to the shop for bread is a traumatic event for Charlie..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

OH not this fekn whingebag again... Going to the shop for bread is a traumatic event for Charlie..

The pieces he's done since he left his old gig do seem to have a rather wallowing quality to them, it must be said. Or maybe the whingeing was just a bit punchier when it had to be edited down to Six-One-sized segments.

• Advertisement

The second hour is usually dull enough.. Declan Power probably in now to tell us all about the crisis in Ukraine with his cartoon voice fr the next hour..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement