Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Have to say Harold,and no disrespect,knowing the name of 'that fella' wouldn't be the top of most peoples agenda.

Most serious commentators anyway.

Who is he anyway?

Some B lister who pumps out ****e movies ad nauseum

One of the most significant American comics of his generation.

But, even if he weren't, that's not the point. Kenny should have been prepared for the interview, and he wasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

One of the most significant American comics of his generation.

But, even if he weren't, that's not the point. Kenny should have been prepared for the interview, and he wasn't.

In who's opinion.

I see him a a jerk who throws out film chaff for the masses and would not criticise PK for not knowing about him.

About as funny as anal polyps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

In who's opinion.

I see him a a jerk who throws out film chaff for the masses and would not criticise PK for not knowing about him.

About as funny as anal polyps.

You claimed not to know who he was in your last post, so I submit that you are not the best person to judge his legacy.

RTE regularly has undistinguished guests. You'd be happy if their names were regularly mistaken, would you?!

You claimed not to know who he was in your last post, so I submit that you are not the best person to judge his legacy.

RTE regularly has undistinguished guests. You'd be happy if their names were regularly mistaken, would you?!

I wouldn't use that incident as a stick to beat Mr Kenny , buddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

In who's opinion.

Because the PK apologists always trot out his "huge knowledge" and how he's always "well-prepared" for interviews. You point out that he's overpaid, full of his own self-importance, humourless, and charisma-free, and the line of defence is always "but he knows a lot of stuff!"

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Because the PK apologists always trot out his "huge knowledge" and how he's always "well-prepared" for interviews. You point out that he's overpaid, full of his own self-importance, humourless, and charisma-free, and the line of defence is always "but he knows a lot of stuff!"

I never pointed out anything like you suggest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

I never pointed out anything like you suggest.

Eh, you said he "always knows what he is talking about", and a couple of posters before you were playing very similar mood music. It's pretty much the go-to play.

I think what's worse is that PK seems to believe it himself, and have rather a lot vested in the idea, to the point of seemingly hampering his ability to occasionally shut up and let other people say what they'd otherwise sensibly be on to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Just listening back to Sunday's Marian Finucane and you have a whole panel of people talking about the French "law" against answering work phones or checking work mails after 6pm.

FFS, have they no researchers at all? IT IS NOT A LAW. It is a charter or recommendation that has been drawn up in a bid to stem workplace depression and suicide, and has so far only been signed up to by one company.

And they've been talking about it for 10 minutes. What a waste of time.

alaimacerc wrote: »

Where did I say that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I didn't hear the beginning of this. What's the story?........or is there one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Auld fella bought a horse last August for 5K, won its first race last week, sold it for 225K (sterling).

The boy done good. Sounds like a right character!

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Auld fella bought a horse last August for 5K, won its first race last week, sold it for 225K (sterling).

The boy done good. Sounds like a right character!

Sooooo....she didn't ask about any useless nags he bought that won nothing?

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Sooooo....she didn't ask about any useless nags he bought that won nothing?

Didn't get the impression he was a horsey wheeler-dealer. Just a punter that struck lucky.

Why spoil his party :confused:

Didn't get the impression he was a horsey wheeler-dealer. Just a punter that struck lucky.

Why spoil his party :confused:

Guys of 84 don't suddenly start buying horses.........but good luck to him anyway.:pac:

Is this fella Rachel Allen's brother?

Took me ages to figure out, but he sounds exactly like her.

• Advertisement

Is this fella Rachel Allen's brother?

Took me ages to figure out, but he sounds exactly like her.
    His accent is completely different, IMO.

His accent is completely different, IMO.

I've never heard of anyone else with an accent like Rachel.:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

RTE should have to declare how much they pay for Eastenders

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I'd love if Marian told him Paul Kimmage was on line 2.

Who's this fraud?

• Advertisement

Why wouldn't her children be able to speak English to her?
    My son is two and already he speaks both French and English.

Also, making sweeping generalisations about them "not liking foreigners" is hardly going to endear you to them.

Also being part of a community is not "uniquely Irish"! You just have to make an effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

This one suffers from an acute case of High Rising Intonation.

What's this one's point?
    She wasn't happy abroad and she's not happy in Ireland. I don't think other people are the problem here.

Why wouldn't her children be able to speak English to her?
    My son is two and already he speaks both French and English.

Also, making sweeping generalisations about them "not liking foreigners" is hardly going to endear you to them.

Also being part of a community is not "uniquely Irish"! You just have to make an effort.

I will second her, Switzerland is the most unfriendly place I've ever spent time

This one suffers from an acute case of High Rising Intonation.

She definitely didn't get that accent in Ballinasloe.

Is this yoke that lived in Chicago sane?

She had her uncle in Detroit record Coronation Street and send the tapes to her, insane.

Ireland wasn't booming in 2007

They couldn't get decent grass in New York? They should have got themselves a better class of drug dealer.

Where were those 3 nanny goats sourced from?

Seriously ?

Who invited them in?

What's the link?

my friend wrote: »
    Where were those 3 nanny goats sourced from?

Seriously ?

Who invited them in?

What's the link?

It's Marian's obligatory middle-class whinge slot. She probably met them at a dinner party somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

God these two are painful ... if either of them moved near me I'd be keeping well away from them. If you want to fit into a new community YOU make the effort - you can't expect people established in the community & getting on with busy lives to worry about you fitting in.

There are loads of east europeans here and their kids speak both English and their parents native language .. non issue IMO

I don't see the point of these "lyrics" competitions. All you have to do is Google them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Very good section on walks home & abroad. Think the lady speaking was Tania Bonotti! She was informative & her enthusiasm was infectious...so jealous of her walking trips abroad. Someday....

I don't see the point of these "lyrics" competitions. All you have to do is Google them.

I'd enter the competition if there was spending money included in the prize.

If I won I'd take that and do a Late Late Toy Show Pat Kenny job with the rest and let Marian tear up the Elton John tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ah jaysus lap.

Ebays your friend !

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

ah jaysus lap.

E-bays your friend !

:D

Havent you heard .. Forget about E-bay, Lapin's been in sick-bay for the last couple of days..

Normal service resumes after Easter - and the super pensioned former civil servants speed-dial numbers are being answered again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

Note the massive difference in the way Marian deals with a contributor who calls someone a thug and the way Joe Duffy does!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Calling someone on national radio 'a thug' is irresponsible, can see a big pay out from this....

• Advertisement

sudzs wrote: »
    Note the massive difference in the way Marian deals with a contributor who calls someone a thug and the way Joe Duffy does!! :D

Basically Marian didn't deal with it, I would expect an apology after the midday news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

Infoanon wrote: »
    Calling someone on national radio 'a thug' is irresponsible, can see a big pay out from this....
    He didn't call someone a thug. He said "behaving like a bunch of thugs".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

serfboard wrote: »
    He didn't call someone a thug. He said "behaving like a bunch of thugs".

Did he not specifically refer to the guy with the megaphone as a thug?? :confused:

I don't often disagree with Theo Dorgan but in ralation to his quote that a "teacher married to guard can't make ends meet" - surely that depends on the outgoings of the couple concerned and most certainly does not apply to all or indeed most teacher/guard couples. What they really mean is that their combined salaries (still well ahead of most couples) doesn't allow them to lead the lifestyle they feel entitled to.

I wish that lady on the panel who said she was editor of the Farming Independent (I think) would learn to pronounce "th" ... Gay Byrne would go demented listening to her :o

sudzs wrote: »
    Did he not specifically refer to the guy with the megaphone as a thug?? :confused:

Thats what I heard, it was a comment on one particular individual, the same individual that Theo Dorgan then spoke about - married to a Garda etc

Theo Dorgan defends megaphone dick

Theo then makes outrageous and silly claim that a Garda and a Teacher can't make ends meet

And to polish it off he landed an unchallenged dig at Ryanair

Theo, you dick.

• Advertisement

Ehhhhhhhh

Ahhhhh

Ehhhhhhhh

Ehhhhhh

Ehhhh

Ahhhhh

Paddy Agnew

Ahh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Callan57 wrote: »
    I don't often disagree with Theo Dorgan but in ralation to his quote that a "teacher married to guard can't make ends meet" - surely that depends on the outgoings of the couple concerned and most certainly does not apply to all or indeed most teacher/guard couples. What they really mean is that their combined salaries (still well ahead of most couples) doesn't allow them to lead the lifestyle they feel entitled to.

I wish that lady on the panel who said she was editor of the Farming Independent (I think) would learn to pronounce "th" ... Gay Byrne would go demented listening to her :o

actualy i think it was more a refernce to what teachers and gards got up to during the nuttery of the boom. theyre part of the "We" in the "we all partied" trope the media love to trot out.

remember the teacher on joe duffy crying that she coudlnt live on 68k a year cause her bratislavan appartment was killing her ?

and the gards were one of the biggest purchasers of property over the whole boom .some of em combining to buy whole apt blocks. there was a solicitor on the radio waaaaaay back saying they made up his whole client base.

if your a bog standard teacher with no debts your laughing now as even with the cuts your able to live like a lord. but if you got burned in property your ****ed. its ironic to say it but many of the teachers and gards on the higher union protected wage are actually worse off financially than the newbies on the 30% less pay scale who owe no one nothing.

theyre middle class on paper alone. in reality theyre debt slaves. still theyve only themselves to blame and if their up and coming peers learn anything its to be fecking happy with what they got least they end up the same in 20yrs time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Infoanon wrote: »

The thing I cant believe about that clown with the megaphone is that none of the other teachers present at that conference had the b*lls to approach him and tell him to stfu... They must have known how badly it would look for ALL teachers, and the fact that nobody would reprimand him made it seem like he had the full backing of everybody present.

The other thing I find confusing is why a PE teacher, who apparently runs his own private fitness business on the side, thinks that he should be dictating policy when it comes to education. He's a PE teacher .. either teach PE (inasmuch as it is a subject that requires any teaching) or choose a different profession.

The thing I cant believe about that clown with the megaphone is that none of the other teachers present at that conference had the b*lls to approach him and tell him to stfu... They must have known how badly it would look for ALL teachers, and the fact that nobody would reprimand him made it seem like he had the full backing of everybody present.

The other thing I find confusing is why a PE teacher, who apparently runs his own private fitness business on the side, thinks that he should be dictating policy when it comes to education. He's a PE teacher .. either teach PE (inasmuch as it is a subject that requires any teaching) or choose a different profession.

Still can't call him 'a thug' on national radio

Who else but a teacher would be able to conbine the two ... certainly not anyone on a normal private sector work schedule. My heart bleeds for him :p

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement