Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Theo Dorgan

Live radio goes by pretty fast, it's easy to mishear things. So, for the record: I didn't say megaphone man and his guard wife can't make ends meet, I said he claims they can't and that he's at the end of his tether. This by way of explaining where he says he was coming from in his own mind. I understand what frustration can do to someone's head but I think he was stupid and mistaken to do what he did. As for Ryanair: the conversation was about objective measuring standards versus classroom assessment; Julie (fellow panellist) is a director of Ryanair and what I said was Ryanair wouldn't rely on subjective assessment to qualify its pilots, they'd want an objective assessment. Which she agreed with, so how that becomes having a dig at Ryanair is beyond me. I don't particularly care whether or not people agree with me, it's a (sort of) free country after all, but facts are facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Live radio goes by pretty fast, it's easy to mishear things. So, for the record: I didn't say megaphone man and his guard wife can't make ends meet, I said he claims they can't and that he's at the end of his tether. This by way of explaining where he says he was coming from in his own mind. I understand what frustration can do to someone's head but I think he was stupid and mistaken to do what he did. As for Ryanair: the conversation was about objective measuring standards versus classroom assessment; Julie (fellow panellist) is a director of Ryanair and what I said was Ryanair wouldn't rely on subjective assessment to qualify its pilots, they'd want an objective assessment. Which she agreed with, so how that becomes having a dig at Ryanair is beyond me. I don't particularly care whether or not people agree with me, it's a (sort of) free country after all, but facts are facts.

For what it's worth Theo, though I disagreed with you on the point of the teacher/guard segment (or perhaps what I perceived to be the point that you were making), you were the only person in the studio who acted as a counterpoint to Marian and her cosy dinner-party buddies this morning. Sunday mornings with Marian have recently become about as right-wing as a Nuremberg Rally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Just one point on the whole "guard/nurse who cant make ends meet". One thing I always find curious is the assumption that the reason that the couple cant make ends meet is because their pay was reduced. The question is never asked "Can they now not make ends meet because they overstretched themselves" i.e. with increased taxes/charges, increased mortgage interest rates etc etc .. which I would think would be the FIRST question asked of any private sector couple who claimed to have similar issues with making ends meet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Just one point on the whole "guard/nurse who cant make ends meet". One thing I always find curious is the assumption that the reason that the couple cant make ends meet is because their pay was reduced. The question is never asked "Can they now not make ends meet because they overstretched themselves" i.e. with increased taxes/charges, increased mortgage interest rates etc etc .. which I would think would be the FIRST question asked of any private sector couple who claimed to have similar issues with making ends meet.
    They never mention that any reduction will be pretty quickly cancelled out by their yearly increments either:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Why was Fr Brian Darcy on the show this morning? I understood Marian to say she was only asking him about the Adams story as it was apt following the Boston tapes discussion & that made perfect sense to me. But then came the Angelus and when the show came back it was on to Dave Fanning. Very confusing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Callan57 wrote: »
    Why was Fr Brian Darcy on the show this morning? I understood Marian to say she was only asking him about the Adams story as it was apt following the Boston tapes discussion & that made perfect sense to me. But then came the Angelus and when the show came back it was on to Dave Fanning. Very confusing!
    She also suggested that she might ask him back again to talk about the subject he had originally come in to discuss. There was no indication what that subject was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Huh. Bishop Brennan swooped in, cape-aflutter, to shut the interview down? RTE lawyers? Or Marion just losing all run of her own show again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I thought the angelus was finished because she didn't have it at all last week, but she talks to Fr Brian D, and suddenly its back.A bit old fashioned to still have it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

jimmyw wrote: »
    I thought the angelus was finished because she didn't have it at all last week, but she talks to Fr Brian D, and suddenly its back.A bit old fashioned to still have it on.

The angelus gets played on Saturday but not Sunday. For some strange reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Red Fred

sligojoek wrote: »
    The angelus gets played on Saturday but not Sunday. For some strange reason.

That would be an ecumenical matter. ;-)

• Advertisement

Morning Everyone :)

Some good stories this morning. Adams, Clarkson, Mary Hanafin :P ...This could be interesting ...

Panel includes Sam Smyth and Martin Manseragh.

Did Mary Hanafin not specifically and emphatically say two weeks ago with Marian that she was no and would not be running in the local elections that her eyes were set on regaining a Dail seat? (God Help us!)

Did Mary Hanafin not specifically and emphatically say two weeks ago

I said at the time Callan, the way she was shamelessly talking herself up, there was no doubt in my mind what he reasons for heading to RTE studios were. I certainly got the feeling from the interview that she would be putting herself before the electorate again, but at the time I assumed it would have been at the next national election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

She had been told that FF are not putting her forward, apparently, and is 'shocked'.

LynnGrace wrote: »
    She had been told that FF are not putting her forward, apparently, and is 'shocked'.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/mary-hanafin-im-in-shock-over-ff-statement-about-local-elections-30241780.html
    “Mary Hanafin was informed of that decision on Friday evening in the clearest possible terms and has been made aware that there will be only one Fianna Fáil candidate in the Blackrock LEA, Ógra President Kate Feeney."
    Sources confirmed that Ms Feeney was left furious last night after being told that she had a running mate in Ms Hanafin. Ms Hanafin said earlier that she was keen to sit down with Ms Feeney this week to discuss her decision to run.

The sense of self-importance and entitlement of the woman is incredible..

Yeah, that was where I saw it too.

LynnGrace wrote: »

Of course she's "shocked" ... according to herself she is whiter than white and despite sitting at the cabinet table she "heard nothing, saw nothing, knew nothing" and God help her she is sitting around Blackrock twirling her thumbs and feeling left out & quite certain she hasn't cost the taxpayer enough already. :mad:

Of course she's "shocked" ... according to herself she is whiter than white and despite sitting at the cabinet table she "heard nothing, saw nothing, knew nothing" and God help her she is sitting around Blackrock twirling her thumbs and feeling left out & quite certain she hasn't cost the taxpayer enough already. :mad:

So true! The neck of it, unreal.
    I remember seeing her on some programme where she, among others, was trying to distance herself from Cowen. It wasn't working, except in her own mind.

Here they all are distancing themselves from the decision to nationalize the banks, and distance themselves from Cowan..

Really cant stand the woman...

• Advertisement

If Mansergh doesn't stop he'll have me crying :rolleyes:
    Isn't the truth of the matter that a golden circle exists in Irish life who have an entire system set up to protect & benefit themselves and to all intents and purposes they are untouchable?

Here they all are distancing themselves from the decision to nationalize the banks, and distance themselves from Cowan..

Really cant stand the woman...

Oh yes, that was it. I think Micky Martin featured as well, must have a look later.
    The more they went on, on that programme, the less convincing they became.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Marion started on a bit about shatter breaking the law but by the time i came back from my piss it was over.

did i miss much?

:D

Marion started on a bit about shatter breaking the law but by the time i came back from my piss it was over.

did i miss much?

No it was dropped like a hot potatoe

Could they not have had these three people on The Business Show.. ? It really has nothing to do with Marian's show..

Tom Clonan is doing impressions of the Taliban now :confused:

Ohhhh, Martin McGuinness is in RTE studios with Richard Crowley, this should be interesting.

• Advertisement

Live press conference with Gerry Adams on RTE News Now fairly shortly... (it was meant to be at 8pm but is running a little late I think).

Wonder how many "retired serior gardai" will be rushing to answer Marian's speed dial calls tomorrow .... ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,356 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Here's Marty Whelan with the excuses!

*facepalm*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Whatever about " please please please use sunscreen" , Marion "please please please stop smoking " would be a better message

Here's Marty Whelan with the excuses!

*facepalm*
    "She's only 23, I'm sure she has a long career ahead of her " face palm +++

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Why is Marian shouting over Stephen Roche?

Stephen Roche is becoming more and more un-understandable every year , 70 percent French sounding now

This fake , is 'exertive' ' a word

Actress who plays Moll is very annoying

She's gonna p1ss Frank Kelly off if she keeps going on about Mrs Doyle..

She's gonna p1ss Frank Kelly off if she keeps going on about Mrs Doyle..

Yes, he could educate Marian but she's too dumb to respect that.

my friend wrote: »
    Yes, he could educate Marian but she's too dumb to respect that.

Agreed , he always comes across as a precious actAUUR though ,in fairness

Oops69 wrote: »
    Agreed , he always comes across as a precious actAUUR though ,in fairness

True, the Fr Jack role must haunt the preciousness

Jaysus that Barrett who plays Moll will ensure that I DONT go

Yeah, yea, yea yea

Idiot

Good Morning Everybody, I'm not sure I'll be able for Colm O'Gorman's super sensitivity this morning.. Marian introduced him last, I'm sure he'll feel that was an infringement of his civil rights...

Dear God, did nobody check the microphones before the show... Seems like the audio staff are getting as sloppy as the presenter herself..

• Advertisement

... and all the "retired serior Gardai" & "retired senior civil servants" not answering the old speed dial this morning - having a well deserves lie-in no doubt. I expected at least one in studio to tell us how great they were and how everything was perfect "in their day" :rolleyes:

"I dont know the man, but he'd remind me of Matthew Elderfield, who I dont know either"

Then how can you possibly compare the two? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

Has every guest that comes the show feel the need to say they have lived for a time in another country? Perhaps it on a check list as a perquisite to get on the list...

No JobBridge for Peter Power after he lost his Dail seat. Straight into job with UNICEF, and a lovely salary to go with it.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/unicef-ireland-director-power-paid-salary-of-140-000-1.1696521

That made me turn a whiter shade of pale....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

i was waiting for that one as from day one it was all i could think of !

i presume the surviving band members are in guatanamo bay in orange jumpsuits now wondering WTF is going on ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

i was waiting for that one as from day one it was all i could think of !

i presume the surviving band members are in guatanamo bay in orange jumpsuits now wondering WTF is going on ?

You laugh but it COULD happen! :p
    There was a French girl a few weeks ago who wasn't allowed to travel into the US because she was on a warning list.

Her name is Alic Aida. :rolleyes:
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/french-mom-blacklisted-sounds-al-qaeda-article-1.1769864

Morning all,

Didnt realise that today is the anniversary of the Dublin Monaghan Bombings.. I'm no fan of Gerry Adams or the shinners, but when the Irish media were making a big deal of him being arrested over the death of Jean McConnville, it had me wondering why the hell arent they so dogged about holding the British State to account for the Dublin Monaghan Bombings.. This is the documentary that blew the lid on the whole thing..

Back in the days when Olivia O'LAAYery was a presenter, Mary Wilson was a court reporter and all was right with the world.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement