Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Aine butting in again answering her own questions before the guests get a chence to finish their replies.

She's a good broadcaster but needs to hang back a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Boring panel, apart from Dunphy.

Party Political Broadcast for Enda Kenny tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

First interview Enda Kenny has done since he got elected.. :pac:

I'd have put the phone down on Gay Byrne... You give him time to promote his own little show, and he starts giving out to you....!!

If I was Kate Feeney I would have been hugely annoyed that RTE gave Mary Hanafin a whole half hour to promote herself (before announcing two weeks later that she was going for election).... Something that was not afforded to her or any of the other candidates in that election...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

If I was Kate Feeney I would have been hugely annoyed that RTE gave Mary Hanafin a whole half hour to promote herself (before announcing two weeks later that she was going for election).... Something that was not afforded to her or any of the other candidates in that election...
    This egotistical nobody doesn't deserve to be on the national airwaves any more than the other parasite .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Absolutely - it was grossly unfair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I'd be more annoyed at the people of BlackRock that thought she was fit for public office again!

• Advertisement

McDevitt on RTE... This feels strange..

McDevitt's joined the RTE mainstream. Who'd have thunk it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

McDevitt on RTE... This feels strange..
    swimming with the big fish now, in the can we expect crinegy banter between himself and Sean O' Rourke

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Radio Review (last few paragraphs)
    http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/radio/mothers-plea-should-resonate-beyond-studio-30371137.html

".....Finucane used to be good, but has become sloppy and lazy. The recent interview with Frank Kelly was another example: questions about Mrs Doyle and Father Ted were irrelevant, and worse, grindingly predictable. And as for not knowing who Kim Kardashian is... as presenter of a general interest show, it's her job to know....."

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭roran

dvcireland wrote: »
    Radio Review (last few paragraphs)
    http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/radio/mothers-plea-should-resonate-beyond-studio-30371137.html

".....Finucane used to be good, but has become sloppy and lazy. The recent interview with Frank Kelly was another example: questions about Mrs Doyle and Father Ted were irrelevant, and worse, grindingly predictable. And as for not knowing who Kim Kardashian is... as presenter of a general interest show, it's her job to know....."

Rocking here in my armchair with laughter...and you take the indo as your line of radio critique!!....God spare us from all harm, no wonder you are so confused. I'll pass you the complan :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

roran wrote: »
    Rocking here in my armchair with laughter...and you take the indo as your line of radio critique!!....God spare us from all harm, no wonder you are so confused. I'll pass you the complan :D:D:D

Out of interest, whom do you take? Mick Heaney in the IT isn't up to much, IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I've noticed a pattern emerging in the Indo's and Sindo's radio reviews lately.

RTE bad... Newstalk good.

... and the other losers are the people wanting to buy a HOME not a just a house!
    This is very depressing - we're going to do it all over again with another generation - why, oh why do we never learn?

dvcireland wrote: »
    ".....Finucane used to be good, but has become sloppy and lazy"

I think it's to blame Finucane for the decline in the show given that she rarely presents it any more.... Seriously though, it's been pointed out here on many occasions how sloppy the show has become so this revelation by the journalist is hardly groundbreaking.

The fact that she can barely get through the introductions (of the panel members) on the show without making some mistake is demonstrative of the fact that she really doesnt do the "week of reading papers, listening to radio, and watching TV" in preparation for the show that she claims to do.. If she gave ONE MINUTE of preparation to read through the name of the contributors before the show, then she would get the introductions right..

I think it's to blame Finucane for the decline in the show given that she rarely presents it any more.... Seriously though, it's been pointed out here on many occasions how sloppy the show has become so this revelation by the journalist is hardly groundbreaking.

The fact that she can barely get through the introductions (of the panel members) on the show without making some mistake is demonstrative of the fact that she really doesnt do the "week of reading papers, listening to radio, and watching TV" in preparation for the show that she claims to do.. If she gave ONE MINUTE of preparation to read through the name of the contributors before the show, then she would get the introductions right..

We can't all be perfect I suppose....I'd love to hear your show...you must have it down to fine art by now.

My overall satisfaction with MF is 100% supportive as I love her style (even if you find the odd flaw). What would we do without the Great MF - even if it's to read the idiosyncracies of her detractors :D:D:D

We can't all be perfect I suppose....I'd love to hear your show...you must have it down to fine art by now.

In my work, I try to remember the names of the people who I am working with... Even without having a printout in front of me I can get them right pretty much all of the time... It's just good manners really, it's nothing to do about presenting.

With regard to me presenting the show... I have already contacted RTE and informed them that I feel I am now ready to go national and am currently sitting beside the phone waiting for their response.... I said I was Ronan Collins' nephew on my CV, so I'm just hoping that they have taken a Marian Finucane-esque approach to my background check... ;)

• Advertisement

In my work, I try to remember the names of the people who I am working with... Even without having a printout in front of me I can get them right pretty much all of the time... It's just good manners really, it's nothing to do about presenting.

Judging from listening to MF presenting over 40 years on both tv and radio, I couldn't accuse her of bad manners, but you, togged out in your hurling gear, obviously know more about manners than most, so I fall to your superior knowledge (especially as you weal the hurley).

PS Kilkenny will be calling upon you too on Saturday evening....be prepared :D:D:D

With regard to me presenting the show... I have already contacted RTE and informed them that I feel I am now ready to go national and am currently sitting beside the phone waiting for their response.... I said I was Ronan Collins' nephew on my CV, so I'm just hoping that they have taken a Marian Finucane-esque approach to my background check... ;)

That will swing it ... the job's in the bag!
    I can't wait to hear you lash into the "Sunday morning" panel of retirees - let me know when you are due to make your début (I'd like to get a new radio to mark the occasion) :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

My overall satisfaction with MF is 100% supportive as I love her style (even if you find the odd flaw). What would we do without the Great MF - even if it's to read the idiosyncracies of her detractors :D:D:D

Well there would be enough money to employ 8 radio people full time at above the national wage. Law of averages that one of the 8 would be a half decent presenter.

Well there would be enough money to employ 8 radio people full time at above the national wage. Law of averages that one of the 8 would be a half decent presenter.

There very well may be 8,888 presenters employed throughout the country and by your maths, 1,111 half decent presenters. The problem only arises when you see that these 'half-decent' presenters are not pulling in the listeners. Whilst your maths seem correct, are you answering the wrong question?

There very well may be 8,888 presenters employed throughout the country and by your maths, 1,111 half decent presenters. The problem only arises when you see that these 'half-decent' presenters are not pulling in the listeners. Whilst your maths seem correct, are you answering the wrong question?

Actually they are. If you take say 20 local stations that have a Morning current affairs programme, they all have a higher market share than RTE Radio 1. Most of them are decent to excellent presenters who would happily do the job that Marion is doing for probably a 1/6 of what she's getting.

Of course you'll probably say that listeners will go when Marion is off the air. She's the one that holds the high listener-ship figures at that time but I have the proof that won't happen. She only goes on air at best 8 months of the year and at all other times fill in presenters take her place...and the listeners go nowhere...

Just to point out I don't Blame Marion for taking the Cash for very little work. It's a management problem pure and simple.

Someone half decent on that slot will always pull in a lot of listeners to Radio 1. Before Marion there was The Sunday Show and the listenership was roughly the same.

Actually they are. If you take say 20 local stations that have a Morning current affairs programme, they all have a higher market share than RTE Radio 1. Most of them are decent to excellent presenters who would happily do the job that Marion is doing for probably a 1/6 of what she's getting.

Of course you'll probably say that listeners will go when Marion is off the air. She's the one that holds the high listener-ship figures at that time but I have the proof that won't happen. She only goes on air at best 8 months of the year and at all other times fill in presenters take her place...and the listeners go nowhere...

Just to point out I don't Blame Marion for taking the Cash for very little work. It's a management problem pure and simple.

Someone half decent on that slot will always pull in a lot of listeners to Radio 1. Before Marion there was The Sunday Show and the listenership was roughly the same.

Suffering delights...please don't substitute the few remaining decent radio programmes to the fodder of (local) commercial stations. You must genuinely have a taste for the commercial sector...or is that the lowest common demoninator? Now, you seem good at the old maths, but I'm losing your logic ;););)

Suffering delights...please don't substitute the few remaining decent radio programmes to the fodder of (local) commercial stations. You must genuinely have a taste for the commercial sector...or is that the lowest common demoninator? Now, you seem good at the old maths, but I'm losing your logic ;););)

I don't have a taste for the commercial Sector, but there are no RTE Local Stations. There are plenty of broadcasters on RTE that have stepped up to the national stage with no problem. You put out what you're audience wants. Anyone who would broadcast on those slots on RTE Radio 1 would be dealing with the same subjects as Marion does. Who knows the show might become a lot less local than it is now.

RTE management lost their logic a long time ago when it comes to money and payments to some members of their staff.

As for my own personal Tastes I find RTE programmes are a lot more amateur than they used to be. Poor research and production on several shows makes listening to it jarring at times. There are honourable exceptions such as the Documentary on 1 series. I tend to listen to BBC Radio Ulster, BBC 4, and WGBH and WBUR from Boston. Locally decent stations are about such as Radio Kerry and Highland Radio in Donegal (even if highland is very local)

Marion's shows are often wrong when it comes to subjects I know a lot about. There are other subjects which I know little however I doubt what I hear from various RTE shows. If they're wrong about one thing, what else have they not gotten right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

Just adding my voice, I am a great admirer of a number of RTE programmes - Sunday Miscellany, Late Debate, The Week, MI (with reservations), and others - but think Marian Finucane's is uniquely amateurish at times.

Just adding my voice, I am a great admirer of a number of RTE programmes - Sunday Miscellany, Late Debate, The Week, MI (with reservations), and others - but think Marian Finucane's is uniquely amateurish at times.

It saddens me to have to agree but there is no denying she has become "uniquely amateurish" in recent times ... there is an awful lot to be said for getting out while you are at the top of your game and IMHO Marian, a superb broadcaster in the past, is now simply coasting and not even doing that very well. Pity but time catches up with everyone eventually.

Callan57 wrote: »
    It saddens me to have to agree but there is no denying she has become "uniquely amateurish" in recent times ... there is an awful lot to be said for getting out while you are at the top of your game and IMHO Marian, a superb broadcaster in the past, is now simply coasting and not even doing that very well. Pity but time catches up with everyone eventually.

Pretty ageist of you, but maybe your looking at your own mortality...:confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement

I don't have a taste for the commercial Sector, but there are no RTE Local Stations. There are plenty of broadcasters on RTE that have stepped up to the national stage with no problem. You put out what you're audience wants. Anyone who would broadcast on those slots on RTE Radio 1 would be dealing with the same subjects as Marion does. Who knows the show might become a lot less local than it is now.

RTE management lost their logic a long time ago when it comes to money and payments to some members of their staff.

As for my own personal Tastes I find RTE programmes are a lot more amateur than they used to be. Poor research and production on several shows makes listening to it jarring at times. There are honourable exceptions such as the Documentary on 1 series. I tend to listen to BBC Radio Ulster, BBC 4, and WGBH and WBUR from Boston. Locally decent stations are about such as Radio Kerry and Highland Radio in Donegal (even if highland is very local)

Marion's shows are often wrong when it comes to subjects I know a lot about. There are other subjects which I know little however I doubt what I hear from various RTE shows. If they're wrong about one thing, what else have they not gotten right?

It is still hard for me to follow your logic. The classiest of all...."RTE management lost their logic a long time ago when it comes to money and payments to some members of their staff'. Are you telling us that PK left RTE for a pay cut? eek.pngeek.pngeek.png

"Marion's shows are often wrong when it comes to subjects I know a lot about..." A few examples might be necessary for disbelievers like me...tongue.pngtongue.pngtongue.png

And for the life of me, I just can't understand why some people would torture themselves listening to 'amateur' radio when the pleaseure would be to just 'Turn the Dial'. Who is chaining these folk to listen to what I (and by listenership figures suggest, others) obviously enjoy smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

Pretty ageist of you, but maybe your looking at your own mortality...:confused::confused::confused:

Pat Kenny is older than Finucane. I imagine Callan57 doesn't call for his retiremnt.

It is still hard for me to follow your logic. The classiest of all...."RTE management lost their logic a long time ago when it comes to money and payments to some members of their staff'. Are you telling us that PK left RTE for a pay cut? eek.pngeek.pngeek.png

Pat could be the exception to the rule. However, when final figures come in to see the effects of Pat moving to Newstalk, (still 6 months away) it's likely that RTE will have lost less than 10% of their listenership but will have cut the salary of the presenter by half.
    "Marion's shows are often wrong when it comes to subjects I know a lot about..." A few examples might be necessary for disbelievers like me...tongue.pngtongue.pngtongue.png

I'd have to go and listen to the show so. I stopped listening because of the mistakes, I don't intend to return (I will give someone new a chance when the time comes)

To be fair to you I went to the player to listen to the show and surprise, surprise Marion isn't presenting, Aine Lawlor is at the Mic. So by trying to be decent and give your point of view a fair hearing I actually reenforce my own opinion that she's not on the station enough to justify her salary.

I don't see how it is ageist to say someone should depart while at the top of their game and before they reach a stage where they clearly no longer have the appetite for the job.
    Somewhat presumptive of you to assume motives on my part which formed no part of my post. But in the interests of clarity, I have no issue with the age of any presenter (young or old!) but I have a big issue with presenters who are clearly unwilling to put in the effort required to present a professional show.
    If you think I am hard on her it is simply that I remember her good days & the ground breaking shows of the past and feel sad (and I guess let down) that someone I admired seems happy to just drift along, pocket her salary and doesn't care appear to care about quality or professionalism any longer.

To be fair to you I went to the player to listen to the show and surprise, surprise Marion isn't presenting, Aine Lawlor is at the Mic. So by trying to be decent and give your point of view a fair hearing I actually reenforce my own opinion that she's not on the station enough to justify her salary.

I did admire your earlier arguments as I thought you had analysed to a degree all that you found wrong with MF (including salary), but sadly the above contributions have left me feeling disappointed that you really have nothing substantive behind you....as we say in my era....all puff and no sh1te:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don't see how it is ageist to say someone should depart while at the top of their game and before they reach a stage where they clearly no longer have the appetite for the job.
    Somewhat presumptive of you to assume motives on my part which formed no part of my post. But in the interests of clarity, I have no issue with the age of any presenter (young or old!) but I have a big issue with presenters who are clearly unwilling to put in the effort required to present a professional show.
    If you think I am hard on her it is simply that I remember her good days & the ground breaking shows of the past and feel sad (and I guess let down) that someone I admired seems happy to just drift along, pocket her salary and doesn't care appear to care about quality or professionalism any longer.

Callan57, my oul sogoshe, I don't expect that you would see how ageist your previous comment may be. In fact, I don't expect that you could see between the 5 and 7 :cool::cool::cool:. Cry on someone elses shoulder as you've done a fair bit of negative mouthing for sometime now (re read you past comments on this thread). Ignorance is bliss :P:P:P

I did admire your earlier arguments as I thought you had analysed to a degree all that you found wrong with MF (including salary), but sadly the above contributions have left me feeling disappointed that you really have nothing substantive behind you....as we say in my era....all puff and no sh1te:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well I'm disappointed you have to resort to phrases that are rude in any era.

Well I'm disappointed you have to resort to phrases that are rude in any era.

I will have to struggle on so, carrying your disappointment. But I quote you:

"As for my own personal Tastes I find RTE programmes are a lot more amateur than they used to be. Poor research and production on several shows makes listening to it jarring at times. There are honourable exceptions such as the Documentary on 1 series. I tend to listen to BBC Radio Ulster, BBC 4, and WGBH and WBUR from Boston. Locally decent stations are about such as Radio Kerry and Highland Radio in Donegal (even if highland is very local)

"

Lots of stuff in there but no substance. I asked you to back it up and ...you couldn't. It is what it is in any and every era...all puff and no sh1te. Like a lot of what I've read in this thread from several contributors. :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

I will have to struggle on so, carrying your disappointment. But I quote you:

"As for my own personal Tastes I find RTE programmes are a lot more amateur than they used to be. Poor research and production on several shows makes listening to it jarring at times. There are honourable exceptions such as the Documentary on 1 series. I tend to listen to BBC Radio Ulster, BBC 4, and WGBH and WBUR from Boston. Locally decent stations are about such as Radio Kerry and Highland Radio in Donegal (even if highland is very local)

"

Lots of stuff in there but no substance. I asked you to back it up and ...you couldn't. It is what it is in any and every era...all puff and no sh1te. Like a lot of what I've read in this thread from several contributors. :eek::eek::eek:

I stopped listening to Marion a good while back. She has nothing for me and it was inaccurate a lot of the time. So I did what you suggest others do, I switched off and let those that want to listen, listen. However to be fair to you I went to listen to the show to see if things had improved, (Mistakes were daily, from the wrong name of contributors to incorrect figures so I would have had something for you within 20 minutes or so) How can I give you examples when she's not even on air???

You know I could have been wrong but how would we know when she's on another one of her days off!!!

The rest of RTE output varies. I will say watching RTE News last week I was surprised to find out that RTE TV started in 1963! It was a pre-recorded piece so it should have been caught before going to air. Two other people in the same room as me also heard it. We all make mistakes but they're fairly regular in our state broadcaster. Marion's show was no exception (and probably still isn't when she actual goes on air)

I stopped listening to Marion a good while back. She has nothing for me and it was inaccurate a lot of the time. So I did what you suggest others do, I switched off and let those that want to listen, listen. However to be fair to you I went to listen to the show to see if things had improved, (Mistakes were daily, from the wrong name of contributors to incorrect figures so I would have had something for you within 20 minutes or so) How can I give you examples when she's not even on air???

You know I could have been wrong but how would we know when she's on another one of her days off!!!

The rest of RTE output varies. I will say watching RTE News last week I was surprised to find out that RTE TV started in 1963! It was a pre-recorded piece so it should have been caught before going to air. Two other people in the same room as me also heard it. We all make mistakes but they're fairly regular in our state broadcaster. Marion's show was no exception (and probably still isn't when she actual goes on air)

Well do you know what, you are a mine of information...would you say that there is any of this mis- or wrong - information being spewed from any other Irish radio or is it just our State broadcaster that is polluting our ears :eek::eek::eek:. Not that you would listen to anything other than the quality stations to told us about in a previous post, mind, but who in your experience is the station with the most accurate presenters and content? Where would you direct misguided souls like myself who for all these years couldn't tell the difference between factual content and human error:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,356 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Oh dear god, Brendan O'Carroll really IS sitting in for Marian this weekend! Just heard the ad, I thought people on here were joking!

:( :mad:

Oh dear god, Brendan O'Carroll really IS sitting in for Marian this weekend! Just heard the ad, I thought people on here were joking!

:( :mad:

I wonder if he'll tell us how he's getting on with the new airline he's setting up, or the new political party he's supposed to be forming, in between interviewing all of his family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I thought it was a joke when I heard ad for BOC filling in for Marion. Am surprised its true. Don't mind him but I think his personality will dominate the programme. I like shows where I learn the guests opinions on topics. I don't really want to know about the presenters interest in gardening, cooking, tv programmes, etc. Maybe he will be good...I'll listen on Saturday and see.

honeybear wrote: »
    I thought it was a joke when I heard ad for BOC filling in for Marion. Am surprised its true. Don't mind him but I think his personality will dominate the programme. I like shows where I learn the guests opinions on topics. I don't really want to know about the presenters interest in gardening, cooking, tv programmes, etc. Maybe he will be good...I'll listen on Saturday and see.

He might get away with Saturday's light and breezy show, but what's he going to be like with the bankrolled former civil servants and political hacks on Sunday? Still, if he can remember their names, he'll have a head start on Marian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Bren: I'll never get over loss of my boy.

Headline on the front page of today's Irish Sun.

It's sick if he has to resort to this to sell his fillum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

... there is an awful lot to be said for getting out while you are at the top of your game and IMHO Marian, a superb broadcaster in the past, is now simply coasting and not even doing that very well.

Have to say, I'd agree - years ago she made the Liveline programme regular listening material. Since Joe Duffy took that chair, you'd be more inclined to reach for the off button.

I've heard a few weekend programmes by Marion that were interesting but not in recent years. She lost me back in the Celtic Tiger days with her regular slots on buying overseas property etc. And then promptly changed her tune when the crash came.... one thing I dislike in a media presenter is a tendency to run with the hares and hunt with the hounds.

BarryD wrote: »
    Have to say, I'd agree - years ago she made the Liveline programme regular listening material. Since Joe Duffy took that chair, you'd be more inclined to reach for the off button.

I'm old enough to remember her groundbreaking "Women Today" programme, although I was only a child at the time. It seems to me that working only at weekends has definitely blunted Marian's journalistic edge. She just seems to be only marking time and collecting her paycheck these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I'm old enough to remember her groundbreaking "Women Today" programme, although I was only a child at the time. It seems to me that working only at weekends has definitely blunted Marian's journalistic edge. She just seems to be only marking time and collecting her paycheck these days.

There'll be little chance of her retiring, now that the fags are going up to €20 a pack....:rolleyes:

Where would you direct misguided souls like myself who for all these years couldn't tell the difference between factual content and human error:confused::confused::confused:

I don't think it's possible for me to direct you anywhere.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement