Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Aidric wrote: »
    I didn't catch the name of the aviation expert on the Malaysian airlines discussion but he gave a very informative and neutral input.

There were two. Didn't catch their names either but one was a former Irish pilot and the other was an expert in avation terrorism from Greenwich uni.

Both gave a very impartial account of their opinions. It was good to hear the item being discussed without the speculation and hype that went on in other discussions covering the tragedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Lapin wrote: »
    There were two. Didn't catch their names either but one was a former Irish pilot and the other was an expert in avation terrorism from Greenwich uni.

Both gave a very impartial account of their opinions. It was good to hear the item being discussed without the speculation and hype that went on in other discussions covering the tragedy.

Ya exactly, there have been too many agendas in the coverage so far. I just listened back there. The contributors were Chris Bellamy (Defense and Security expert at the University of Greenwich) and Evan Cullen (President Pilots Association).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Captain Evan Cullen was one of the guys on, he is a current Aer Lingus pilot and head of the Pilots Union>>>http://www.ialpa.net/contact-us/1-president.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

This month's issue of Village magazine has a piece on the Marian Finucane Show. It gives a breakdown of the professions of guests on the Sunday panel over a representative period and shows that they are overwhelmingly involved in media or are politicians. Lawyers also feautre regularly. The analysis is pretty rudimentary and I disagree with the general thrust of the piece ("Why is the man-on-street not represented?") but it may interest some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,069 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

This month's issue of Village magazine has a piece on the Marian Finucane Show. It gives a breakdown of the professions of guests on the Sunday panel over a representative period and shows that they are overwhelmingly involved in media or are politicians. Lawyers also feautre regularly. The analysis is pretty rudimentary and I disagree with the general thrust of the piece ("Why is the man-on-street not represented?") but it may interest some.
    The guests are invited from Marion's dinner-party circle.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    The guests are invited from Marion's dinner-party circle.

To be fair to Marion that's more the fault of the production staff. Small contact books and no real effort made. Marion is too busy during the week reading papers to be looking for guests as well.
    Considering that the show has a producer, Series Producer, researchers and other staff you have to really wonder if they're all introverts, Scared to talk to new people so that's why the same one's keep popping up.
    The only other possible excuse is they don't make much of an effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

"We are looking for the most disappointed Garth Brooks fan"...

This sounds more like the sort of nonsense that John Murray would engage in .. Interesting to hear that Garth Brooks apparently has no problem playing two shows a day in Chicago... Maybe he's burying himself in work to get over his "broken heart" after the collapse of the Irish shows.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,170 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

".....i'm shameless....."

GarthBrookssinging2014_large.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

"DINver Colorado..." ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

"You are lying through your teeth" Marion tells it as it is to Ireland's "most disappointed Garth Brooks fan"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

First one in with "our granny died in the queue for GB tickets, people stepped over her and we had to leave her until we got our tickets but when we returned her body was missing, eventually we tracked her down and after all that we were so disappointing that the concerts were cancelled" wins

This is proof positive that there is a silly season......a very VERY silly season.!

"Hi Marian, I lied to my family so that I could go to the Garth Brooks concert, and I feel RTE reward me for this"....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭sudzs

I notice that all these disappointed fans are female... I am embarrassed for womankind. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,170 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

sounds like Marion is back presenting Liveline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

She was going 3 nights :eek:

dvcireland wrote: »

It's like an old carthorse back in the harness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

touts wrote: »
    "You are lying through your teeth" Marion tells it as it is to Ireland's "most disappointed Garth Brooks fan"

I'd have nothing but contempt for that caller. I hope her American cousin happens to come across the podcast sometime.

I think Maeve must not have heard the previous caller...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,599 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Surely the most disappointed Garth Brooks fan will be Shane Filan? :pac:

• Advertisement

Surely the most disappointed Garth Brooks fan will be Shane Filan? :pac:

Ah he's used to it.. Not the first fortune he's lost..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

Listening to this I am actually disappointed Garth Brooks has been cancelled. I mean when else will we get this collection of numptys together in one spot in the hope an asteroid would strike the stadium and increase the collective intelligence of the country.

Ah, all these broken dreams...
    Instead of a Honda ad, it's more like Lada.

dvcireland wrote: »

If often happens that people in their dotage start believing that they are back in a long gone phase of their lives.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

I wish these people who spend their time doing studies on this and studies on that would go get a real job

Spuds & butter .... Ah good something enjoyable I can finally eat :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Podato? Its potato! (Sorry, just one of the many things that annoys me!)

Michael Mosley is one of my favourite tv scientists/boffins

If the Japanese only eat good stuff for the most part, what do they die of?

The only thing that you can be sure of as far as diet is concerned is whatever is supposed to be good for you today will be bad for you in a year or two!

Time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A long blade to the stomach while dressed in ritual clothing so I hear!

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Time.

There's not much difference between life expectancy in Japan and life expectancy in Ireland.....

A long blade to the stomach while dressed in ritual clothing so I hear!

We need a Harry Kiri, Harry.

Boredom ?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭sudzs

Tatoos.... I don't believe a word of it! :mad:

Is this a competition to find the biggest eejit in Ireland, (or anywhere else)?

• Advertisement

The first prize for this competition should be .... A BIT OF F**KING PERSPECTIVE ON LIFE....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Believe it or not but Japan has the highest rate of stomach cancer in the world , but they have a decent health service so they have high survival rate .

touts wrote: »
    Listening to this I am actually disappointed Garth Brooks has been cancelled. I mean when else will we get this collection of numptys together in one spot in the hope an asteroid would strike the stadium and increase the collective intelligence of the country.
    And mo more longford or Laois accents to listen to any more !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Yet another very lazy show from Marion and Co. Please tell me that the researchers and Producer work on other shows during the week, because if they don't it's pretty scandalous what they get away with on a week to week basis. There seemed to be only two items that any real research was done. Tomorrow doesn't really count as work as Marion and the chosen few will read stories from the papers for a hour.

I was going to fill out another two paragraphs on this post but it's the summer and sure nothing at all happens in the summer anywhere.

So here are some lyrics from a Garth Brooks song...

You know a dream is like a river
    Ever changin' as it flows
    And a dreamer's just a vessel
    That must follow where it goes....

Poor news reader , one of Marion's frogs escaped from her throat

• Advertisement

There's a few documentaries about Israel on the youtube. I watched a couple of them during the week but amn't much the wiser.. This is one of them.

I hope we're not gonna spend the whole show on Israel...

I don't think Colm O'Gorman is much of an asset to Amnesty. He always come across as a pretentious git !

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I don't think Colm O'Gorman is much of an asset to Amnesty. He always come across as a pretentious git !

He gives me a pain in my a$$... He gives out about everything, but never suggests any way to resolve any of the problems.... He wants Blair and Bush arrested for war crimes, and would most likely now be complaining that the west did nothing about Saddam Hussein if they had left him in place... It's easy to sit on the fence and say how bad things are in those countries, but there are no easy solutions in countries like Syria and it's not necessarily easy to define good who the guys and bad guys are..

It's a bit lousy to leave those people another week before telling them who won the Garth Brooks tickets...

I can hear Marian already packing her suitcase and getting ready to head to the airport..

It's a bit lousy to leave those people another week before telling them who won the Garth Brooks tickets...

I can hear Marian already packing her suitcase and getting ready to head to the airport..

Very mean - I don't know whether to pack or unpack :confused:

Callan57 wrote: »
    Very mean - I don't know whether to pack or unpack :confused:

Some of the people were just eegits... "oh I queued for forty two hours Marian, and I was absolutely devastated"... and you wouldnt really care about them waiting another week.. But there was one woman who had lost her friend in a car accident, as was ill (with what sounded like cancer from her allusions)... I'm sure that if she is to be the winner the more weeks she has to make whatever preparations she needs the better.. No need to keep her waiting another week..

It was a dull show today... 50 mins on Israel, 5 mins on Irish health system, and the last 50 mins on plane crashes and Russian gas..

Program about MH17 on right now (1pm) on TV3 if anybody is interested.... I'm hoping TV3 bring the same insight that they brought to that other documentary the other week "The Man Who Married A Tree"...

You'd have to wonder how much disappointment the average Garth fan can take before they implode. No doubt Maureen Gaffney can produce one of her "a study shows" insiteful, useless but loaded with gravitas statements on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Program about MH17 on right now (1pm) on TV3 if anybody is interested....

Feck, meant to watch that.

Any good ?

Feck, meant to watch that. Any good ?

Hey Lapin, nah.. it wasnt great... only a half hour long.. Really just the bullet points of the incident.. The last 15 minutes was just pictures of the families laying flowers, messages on social media... Didn't really learn anything new.. I recorded it but I wouldnt be bothered watching it again..

What did you make of what Constantin Gurdgiev said yesterday on with Marian?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement