Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mattser

Lapin wrote: »
    John Bruton is very vocal these days, (speaking this time 'in New York, or somewhere in the states').

Is there a book coming out or a plum job vacancy on the horizon?

Yeah...the man the Irish public derided and scorned for the heinous crime of taxing kids shoes....and then put FF in for a lifetime, and guess what happened ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

No Marian. Its the first time Ireland beat The Black Ferns, not the All Blacks.

Our women's rugby team didn't beat the New Zealand men's team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

In fairness, fiona could have lightened up a bit in the interview ,very defensive , well done Fiona. I don't care what your hair looks like or whatever, but enjoy the victory .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Same stuff as last week... Bring a load of guests in to the studio and talk about a topic that only one or two of them are educated to speak about...

Tom Parlon, who is representing this week?

Oops69 wrote: »
    In fairness, fiona could have lightened up a bit in the interview ,very defensive , well done Fiona. I don't care what your hair looks like or whatever, but enjoy the victory .

I reckon she is just too focused on the next game to concentrate on talkin shíte to badly researched interviewers and her guest who didn't even watch the game but admitted to watching a different game. It was actually a bit of an insult to her.

In fact, I wouldn't blame Fiona for being utterly pissed off with Marian and that other band wagon hopper Parlon.

It was exactly the kind of pat on the head stuff that this team is trying to escape from.

• Advertisement

Dont really have any respect for Tom Parlon. It seems to me if you pay him enough money, he'll read any script you put in front of him.. I'm not sure why anybody would want him as a spokesperson, he speaks in such a monotone, dispassionate voice.. like a Sat Nav..

Creating jobs should never be used as a reason to build houses.. AND saying that the fact that the government takes a huge percentage of the cost of house price... We really have learned nothing.

I thought they clamped down on the begging problem in recent months.

Its about six months since I spent any considerable time in Central Dublin but I did notice a considerable decline in beggers around the place compared to previous visits.

That was nicely put by Sinead.

"Moving the beggars on solves the problem of the restaurant diners going out for a meal and a bottle of wine, but doesn't solve the problem for everyone else."

She is pronouncing it as E-bola this week :confused:

• Advertisement

In fairness I'd rather take my chances on Gaza high street than a hospital in Sierra Leone these days.

Why are 'beggars' building hospitals in Ghana and Liberia anyway?

Don't these countries have governments?

Richard is a google epidemiologist now , I was in Sierra Leone once , I know very little about ebola.

I reckon she is just too focused on the next game to concentrate on talkin shíte to badly researched interviewers and her guest who didn't even watch the game but admitted to watching a different game. It was actually a bit of an insult to her.

In fact, I wouldn't blame Fiona for being utterly pissed off with Marian and that other band wagon hopper Parlon.

It was exactly the kind of pat on the head stuff that this team is trying to escape from.
    Didn't Fiona know what she was letting herself in for when she agreed to the interview?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Marian's show has been a real barrel of laughs this morning - between the Russia/Ukranian problems, Islamic fundamentalism in Iraq, Syria, the ongoing Gaza crisis, street beggars and now Ebola.

I think I'll stay in bed for the week. Looks like we're all goosed anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

A listener never saw beggars in Paris?
    My arse! The place is full of them!

Didn't Fiona know what she was letting herself in for when she agreed to the interview?

I'm sure she's aware that Marian isn't a sports reporter but surely she could have expected to be treated to a bit more than Marian's usual levels of research.

Actually watching Ireland's games and getting their opponents name right would be a basic start.

Kate Adie needs to get on her flak jacket and take a trip to a few Irish towns to see that they're not quite the 1950's idyll she imagines them to be. The flak jacket will come in handy for Saturday nights when the pubs and nightclubs close.

I'm sure she's aware that Marian isn't a sports reporter but surely she could have expected to be treated to a bit more than Marian's usual levels of research.

Actually watching Ireland's games and getting their opponents name right would be a basic start.
    Ok, maybe she was misinformed about the standard of the interview to be expected when she agreed to go on , or maybe she was told to and didn't really want to go on, anyway she'll live and learn , until the team is paraded out in front of Tubridy on the late late show in the autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

A listener never saw beggars in Paris?
    My arse! The place is full of them!

That listener must have stayed in the hotel room ..... Paris, Berlin, Krakow, Rome & more recently Chicago in all I encountered plenty of beggars.
    What we most certainly have in Ireland is "organised, professional begging" I have no problem with someone fallen on hard times asking if I have a EUR to spare but I have a big, big problem with van loads of beggards being dropped off to beg routinely & probably only getting a tiny % of the takings - you find out very quicky if you offer to buy them a cup of coffee or a sandwich.

• Advertisement

I have an image of an empty radio studio in Donnybrook right now with a tape recorder playing next to a microphone.

Brian Hayes will stay there till the bitter end , he's missing the media attention out in europe

Might be interesting to have recording euipment installed in Enda's office....

"Fionnuala, make sure you get the *expletive deleted* tins of Lilt in Tesco today. I have a fierce thirst on me".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Might be interesting to have recording euipment installed in Enda's office....

"Fionnuala, make sure you get the *expletive deleted* tins of Lilt in Tesco today. I have a fierce thirst on me".

I thought Oliver Callan already had :pac:

Just listening to the news there.. I'm not sure it's reasonable to sign up as a soldier, and then expect to be compensated for being put in harms way... I thought that would surely be written in to the contract at the start, and they agree to it before being a paid soldier?

Just listening to the news there.. I'm not sure it's reasonable to sign up as a soldier, and then expect to be compensated for being put in harms way... I thought that would surely be written in to the contract at the start, and they agree to it before being a paid soldier?

This is the Irish Army though, where the soldiers go home for their dinner at lunchtime.......

dvcireland wrote: »
    I wonder if Richard will review this book:

$_35.JPG

Is that one of Jeffrey Archer's works ? ;)

In case anybody was wondering about that Brian Ormond story that Marion made a brief allusion to at the start of the show (particularly Harry who I know is a big Brian Ormond fan), here is a link to it.

https://www.sundayworld.com/top-stories/news/viper-foley-calls-in-rte-star-brian-ormond-s-40k-debt

Ormond, apparently, got a loan of 40k from a family friend. When he was a bit tardy about paying it back, she handed the debt over to Martin Foley. Some time recently a "Viper Debt Collection Agency" van pulled up in the Ormond-O'Connor driveway...

I cant imagine that The National Lottery will be overly enamoured with their ball-caller being associated with notorious ball-breaker Martin Foley.

Another story on the paper about how Amanda Brunker has herself a stalker, who is persistently phoning and emailing her. It really is amazing how crazy and deluded some people are... And I dont have much respect for her stalker either.. boom boom.. :pac:

• Advertisement

In case anybody was wondering about that Brian Ormond story that Marion made a brief allusion to at the start of the show (particularly Harry who I know is a big Brian Ormond fan), here is a link to it.

https://www.sundayworld.com/top-stories/news/viper-foley-calls-in-rte-star-brian-ormond-s-40k-debt

Ormond, apparently, got a loan of 40k from a family friend. When he was a bit tardy about paying it back, she handed the debt over to Martin Foley. Some time recently a "Viper Debt Collection Agency" van pulled up in the Ormond-O'Connor driveway...

I cant imagine that The National Lottery will be overly enamoured with their ball-caller being associated with notorious ball-breaker Martin Foley.

Marian glossing over the story this morning because she didn't want to upset her RTE pal. I suppose Brian and Pippa could do an exclusive photo shoot for VIP magazine to help pay off the debt. There'd only be €39,950 left to pay off Mr.Viper.....

"Martin ‘the Viper’ Foley was hired to knock on the door of telly star Brian Ormond who is locked in a row over money with a family friend.
    The popular presenter (34) was left quaking in his boots when a family friend set The Viper on him when it was claimed her €40,000 investment in an oil deal went wallop.

The star was horrified when The Viper’s emblazoned debt recovery van pulled up outside his posh home on the outskirts of Dublin and the gangland veteran paid him a personal visit.
    "

Some friend.

I know nothing about Brian Ormond, but anyone who turns to someone like Martin Foley to do their dirty work for them is a complete and utter scumbag in my view.

"Martin ‘the Viper’ Foley was hired to knock on the door of telly star Brian Ormond who is locked in a row over money with a family friend.
    The popular presenter (34) was left quaking in his boots when a family friend set The Viper on him when it was claimed her €40,000 investment in an oil deal went wallop.

The star was horrified when The Viper’s emblazoned debt recovery van pulled up outside his posh home on the outskirts of Dublin and the gangland veteran paid him a personal visit.
    "

Some friend.

I know nothing about Brian Ormond, but anyone who turns to someone like Martin Foley to do their dirty work for them is a complete and utter scumbag in my view.

With friends like that, who needs enemas.......?

Especially if the Viper is banging at your door :D

With friends like that, who needs enemas.......? Especially if the Viper is banging at your door :D

6PJLFa.jpg

It's certainly not without precedent though, Harry. I remember in Wanderly Wagon, Sneaky Snake came banging on Judge's door one day... No doubt looking for payment for Godmother's "medicinal cigarettes"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

"

Some friend.

Well, Ormond took their 40 grand and invested it in something that went bust (Apparently it was some kind of Oil investment. Who knew this guy was a failed JR Ewing wannabe), then would not repay the money after months gone by. To get the Viper involved means they were at their last straw. And apparently Ormond did repay some of it once Viper got involved, so he's obviously messed up.
    40 grand may not be much to Ormond (I doubt it tho, since he's never been popular on screen, no matter how many times the Sunday World says otherwise) but it means alot to other people, and they needed that money.

Sure nobody watches that show anyway. It's only available online, and any of my relatives that are of a certain age, cannot be bothered going on the web to watch it.
    That said, the adverts now take on a certain level of hilarity. I imagine to Brian Ormonde that seeing the Viper at his door was like seeing the five contestants from the advert on his doorstep, except this time they were professional marksmen. :)

• Advertisement

Another story on the paper about how Amanda Brunker has herself a stalker, who is persistently phoning and emailing her. It really is amazing how crazy and deluded some people are... And I dont have much respect for her stalker either.. boom boom.. :pac:

Maybe she is just terrible with technology, and her husband got a new phone?
    I imagine one of these days she'll get a text saying 'Ah luv, why won't you text men back one?'

Maybe she is just terrible with technology, and her husband got a new phone?
    I imagine one of these days she'll get a text saying 'Ah luv, why won't you text men back one?'

tbh, It has the feel more of one of Louis Walsh's "Westlife almost die in plane crash" stories...

Yeah, it does.
    Couple this with the fact that this is her 'second' stalker in so many years. She claimed to have one years ago, but it seemed to be just a silly reason for her to do a photoshoot.
    I felt she made up that story, and probably is making up this one too. Either that, or she hired a stalker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I heard nothing about this stalker on Marian's programme. What did I miss?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Maybe someone should tell her that someone coming to the door at all times of the morning and day on a regular basis... is usually called a postman.

• Advertisement

Maybe someone should tell her that someone coming to the door at all times of the morning and day on a regular basis... is usually called a postman.

Or the Viper and you owe someone money....:D

I heard nothing about this stalker on Marian's programme. What did I miss?

The stalker is who Amanda Brunker is claiming is following her. It was in the Sunday World.
    Although with all this discussion on this board, I am surprised people are not assuming that Brian Ormonde is stalking Amanda Brunker, or vice versa. :)

Why is this guy talking as if that period of the banking guarantee is something to be proud of, and as if his own particular role in spinning the story is something of an achievement...

Making sure to completely washing his hands of any responsibility for anything that happened as well mind.. If he had as little responsibility as he makes out, then he wouldnt have been there at all...

This interview is nauseating , is he being put up to rewrite history by Bertie and Cowen , 1st step of their rehabilitation attempt , the traitors

He seems to be an expert on everything; the Middle East..... Bertie Ahern....... women's rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

This guy is excellent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

He seems to be an expert on everything; the Middle East..... Bertie Ahern....... women's rugby.

Who?

brooke 2 wrote: »
    This guy is excellent.
    Agree, a couple of classes on mindfulness would be much more beneficial to children than a couple of hours of any subject

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Agree, a couple of classes on mindfulness would be much more beneficial to children than a couple of hours of any subject

His point re empathy was very relevant, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Who is this man with no name?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement