Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

€10 billion or is it a billion a month? Sure whats a couple of billion either way.

Armed with the facts at her fingertips as ever is Marsie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

I think that Calvary director should worrying more about how he mis-advertises his own movies... A friend of mine saw the advert for Calvary, thought it was a comedy (which, from the ad, I thought the same) and brought a girl to see it on their first date..... The movie is about child abuse and there were no laughs, and no second date..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

that pretty much IS an irish comedy.

the same spas thought "the guard" was funny.

that pretty much IS an irish comedy. the same spas thought "the guard" was funny.

I really couldnt understand how people thought The Guard was anything more than mere paddywhackery... It was only just above Pat Shortt's "comedy" Mattie... It would have been interesting to see the reviews if Brendan Gleeson wasnt in that movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

i think the problem is most of the film critics are from a similar backround and have gone to the same college/university as the film makers. hell even the civil servents that give the funding in the respective dept would have a good chance of doing the same.

whether theyre biased because of that, or its simply a matter that as a result of that they have the same sensibilities and are effectively making films that THEY like as opposed to the audience, its result in them bigging up stuff no end that the majority of the public is frankly left lost at.

beyond "Mrs Brown's Boys D'movie" im hard pushed to think of an irish film thats got trashed by the usual suspects in the media.

ironic considering , no matter what ya think of THAT one, its undeniably the most comercially sucessful Irish film ever.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,941 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

that pretty much IS an irish comedy.

the same spas thought "the guard" was funny.

Yes, but "The Guard" was a curiously schizophrenic movie - rural polis with all his wee shenanigans and playing the system is suddenly brought smack bang up against heavy **** psychos.
    Now, that could never happen, could it?
    Sure, all the trigger-happy psychos stay in the big towns and cities, don't they?
    In an way, it was nothing more than some hack '50s Western, like <random ficticious title> "Lone Star Dirty McGee Paints His Lavvy" and set in Galway.
    So, in some ways, it was a bit lame, but as a simple tale of transgression and retribution, it actually worked.
    Well, I liked it, so there. <rasp>
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

I think that Calvary director should worrying more about how he mis-advertises his own movies... A friend of mine saw the advert for Calvary, thought it was a comedy (which, from the ad, I thought the same) and brought a girl to see it on their first date..... The movie is about child abuse and there were no laughs, and no second date..

Absolutely agree, billed as a "black comedy" but one of the bleakest movies I've seen in a long time.

Good woman Marion, dont let the FFers rewrite history...

The one point that is being completely overlooked here is the fact that it was completely within FFs remit to prevent the economic collapse from happening by adhering to responsible economic policies..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Listening to this is like having old wounds reopened and to add salt to the wounds we have O rourke and ollie Rehn, what'll be the vinegar , the other two traitors ? AHERNE and Cowen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

our European "partners":rolleyes:

masters and slaves

Marion is actually back on form today... Getting stuck in to the FF rewriting of history, now getting stuck in to Ollie Rehn even though I'd say he only came on to the show to talk about Brian Lenihan... You can tell how uncomfortable Ollie Rehn is with her line of questioning..

Marion is actually back on form today... Getting stuck in to the FF rewriting of history, now getting stuck in to Ollie Rehn even though I'd say he only came on to the show to talk about Brian Lenihan... You can tell how uncomfortable Ollie Rehn is with her line of questioning..
    Eurocrats die under scrutiny

its for the historians to look at

we are living with it NOW:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Ollie sounds like he needs a stiff drink.
    Even though he's being mauled by a poodle.

I'm sure all our emigrants in Australia are pleased to see the EU describes them as an "economic adjustment problem" , astounding arrogance from this Finn.

ah Ollie wake up boy.
    He sounds like he's been out last night.

our sniveling little sheep go up against the ECB in court

sure they will

Ollie and COlm are obviously buds , put the knife in Marion ffs , we pay you enough.

Ollie couldn't be more obtuse if he tried

• Advertisement

Oops69 wrote: »
    Eurocrats die under scrutiny

They don't like sunlight.
    He sounds like he's just been on a getaway holiday - from robbing a store.

Colm McCarthy can be very droll.
    Lehman brothers disembarking at Shannon.:D
    Mammy and Noel Whelan- they're like bad pennies.

Well if the Venitians dont like it, they can always just close their blinds...

Marion was getting a bit moist there, thinking of Clooney.

Enda Kenny has dragged Fine Gael down to the lowest pits of stroke politics and cronyism to a level Haughey himself would be proud of. And he has done so with the willing and blind compliance of most of his parliamentary party. It actually saddens me to say that.

We deserve better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Lapin wrote: »
    Enda Kenny has dragged Fine Gael down to the lowest pits of stroke politics and cronyism to a level Haughey himself would be proud of. And he has done so with the willing and blind compliance of most of his parliamentary party. It actually saddens me to say that.

We deserve better.

It seems jimmy deenihan also appointed someone to a board before he got the chop.

Fine Gael/fiannafail two faces of the same coin!

"It was a bad week for women in politics"

Yeah Marion.. those nasty men up to their shenanigans again... Could Heather Humphreys not have said "no" if she had a bit of backbone? I think that this week proved that nothing will change if we have more women in politics, cos the problem is the type of person that we have in politics, not the sex.

Has Marion considered that the reason that RTE dont have more women on air is because they cost so bloody much? She gets paid the wage of 10 women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Marian and her mates seem to be forgetting the fact that 50% of the electorate are women. If women voted for women, there'd be plenty of women TD's in the Dail.....

• Advertisement

Guest - "The ceasefire grew from a tripartied agreement between Stormont, Westminster and Dublin".

Marian - "And London. Don't forget London".

Guest - "Eh, I did say Westminster".

Marian - "Oh".

Sometimes its better just to say nothing and stop interrupting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Marian and her mates seem to be forgetting the fact that 50% of the electorate are women. If women voted for women, there'd be plenty of women TD's in the Dail.....

Women can be sexist too towards other women.

Or perhaps the decision to vote for somebody depends on many things, and the candidate's gender is by the by, and well down the list of priorities for most voters?

Are you saying that not voting for a women = sexism?

Thats like saying that not voting for a gay fella = homophobia.

Both utterly ridiculous.

Lapin wrote: »
    Are you saying that not voting for a women = sexism?

Thats like saying that not voting for a gay fella = homophobia.

Both utterly ridiculous.

No I said nothing like that.

I said that some women can be sexist towards other women. The idea that only men are sexist towards women is incorrect, both women and men can be sexist towards women.

Or perhaps the decision to vote for somebody depends on many things, and the candidate's gender is by the by, and well down the list of priorities for most voters?

I agree and if that were the case we would probably have about 50 50 of men and women in the Dail, because 50% of the population are women.

But it's a lot harder for a woman to get elected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

I agree and if that were the case we would probably have about 50 50 of men and women in the Dail, because 50% of the population are women.

But it's a lot harder for a woman to get elected.

She needs to be nominated before anyone can vote for her.

brooke 2 wrote: »
    She needs to be nominated before anyone can vote for her.

And it's harder for a woman to get nominated. That's why they have to introduce quotas - to force political parties to pick women.

And it's harder for a woman to get nominated.

Funny that, because Helen McEntee and Gabrielle McFadden had no trouble in being nominated by Fine Gael in recent by elections.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Funny that, because Helen McEntee and Gabrielle McFadden had no trouble in being nominated by Fine Gael in recent by elections.

Ah the sympathy vote.

Helen was the daughter of her predecessor and Gabrielle was the sister of her predecessor. I think that helped their chances.

• Advertisement

Helen was the daughter of her predecessor and Gabrielle was the sister of her predecessor. I think that helped their chances.

QED.

Irish politics is all about being cynical. Having principles (however misguided they are) ain't gonna get you very far.

And it's harder for a woman to get nominated. That's why they have to introduce quotas - to force political parties to pick women.

Exactly. There will be skin and hair flying at the next conventions when quotas of women will have to be nominated!

Mary O'Rourke had no trouble either in getting nominated, back in the day when very few women were in politics. The fact that she was a member of the Lenihan dynasty
    had nothing to do with it, of course!

Mary O'Rourke had no trouble either in getting nominated, back in the day when very few women were in politics. The fact that she was a member of the Lenihan dynasty
    had nothing to do with it, of course!

Of course, and Deirdre Clune never had much trouble being nominated considering she's Peter Barry's daughter. It just goes to show that Fine Gael have always been just as nepotistic as Fianna Fáil, only FF have been longer in power so they've had a lot more opportunity than FG to implement their cronyism. There is absolutely no difference between FF and FG. The only difference being their respective time in power.

Of course, and Deirdre Clune never had much trouble being nominated considering she's Peter Barry's daughter. It just goes to show that Fine Gael have always been just as nepotistic as Fianna Fáil, only FF have been longer in power so they've had a lot more opportunity than FG to implement their cronyism. There is absolutely no difference between FF and FG. The only difference being their respective time in power.

Nepotism is not sexist!

Nepotism is not sexist!

They're two sides of the same coin. Sexism can be turned on its head if it means that a male candidate will be cast aside in favour of a daughter of a deceased or ex TD. Sexism ain't always one way traffic.

They're two sides of the same coin. Sexism can be turned on its head if it means that a male candidate will be cast aside in favour of a daughter of a deceased or ex TD. Sexism ain't always one way traffic.

'Sexism........exTD'.

That's what I was trying to say! ;)

Just in addition to the whole sexism debate, did anybody hear Olivia O'Leary's column on DriveTime on Tuesday... 15:00 in this <podcast> It really had my blood boiling as I was driving the Cortina home from work.

She starts by making an pretty unfair analogy between Bertie Ahern throwing his (female) secretary under the bus a few years ago, and the current debacle with Heather Humphreys.. concluding "Last week another woman was put in an impossible position by her MALE boss".. she continues.. "It will be a long time before we forget the image of the Arts Minister Heather Humphreys caught like a rabbit in the headlights as she tried to defend the indefensible"..

And on Heather's performance in the Dáil, answering questions about the issue, O'Leary says: "Heather looked uncomfortable and unhappy. It is to her credit that she looked uncomfortable and unhappy. This was a sordid little exercise and she knew it. Now compare Heather's truthful discomfort to the brazen performance of our Taoiseach on Friday and again in the Dáil this afternoon".. After spending another five minutes of making smart ar$e, pejorative and sarcastic slights against Enda Kenny, she concludes "A big man is one who acts big, a small one is one who acts small"

Does Olivia O'Leary thing that Heather Humphreys not have a brain of her own? Does she not have the freedom to make her own decisions? If she wasnt happy with the situation then instead of simply looking "uncomfortable and unhappy", she could have actually took a stand and said "I'm not putting up with this" and resigned as Minister... But she didnt... why? Because just like any of those men people that Olivia hates, Heather decided that it would be better for her career to take the hit on this one... As a comparison, take Lucinda Creighton... she would have taken a stand, and did take a stand... Not because she's a woman and not because a man was trying to force her to do something... She took the hard decision cos she felt it was the right thing to do... And that is the reason why Heather Humphreys is still a Minister and Lucinda Creighton is not... So Olivia, at least give Heather the credit that she fully thought it through and decided it was best to follow the party line.. Enda didnt force her to do anything..

But dont take my word people, have a listen and see what ye think. I'd be interested to hear what ye think... especially hotmail.com, I'm always hugely interested to hear what I would sound like in the mirror.

As well as Lucinda Creighton, Roisin Shortall also took a stand when it became obvious that James Reilly was up to political chicanery of his own. We all know why Heather Humphreys was appointed in the first place. If her constituency was anywhere south of Cavan-Monaghan she'd still be a backbencher. The same goes for that Donegal TD who was made Gaeltacht affairs minister even though he doesn't have a word of Irish.

Olivia O'Leary is taking the lazy way out and playing the gender card. It seems as if her sensibilities are still stuck in the 1970's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

As well as Lucinda Creighton, Roisin Shortall also took a stand when it became obvious that James Reilly was up to political chicanery of his own. We all know why Heather Humphreys was appointed in the first place. If her constituency was anywhere south of Cavan-Monaghan she'd still be a backbencher. The same goes for that Donegal TD who was made Gaeltacht affairs minister even though he doesn't have a word of Irish.

Olivia O'Leary is taking the lazy way out and playing the gender card. It seems as if her sensibilities are still stuck in the 1970's.

Olivia O'Leary is one of those feminist types who attribute all the ills of society to men, and women can do no wrong, (or if they do it's because the man/men made them do it).

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement