Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,941 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Listening to this is like having A Book at Bedtime on, and a squawking parrot in the room.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I was convinced when Stephen Fry was talking about his cocaine use and how he knows more journalists than actors or rock stars using it that he was going to say like your colleague Gerry,Marian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Tell your brain to stop starting sentences with the word "so"..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I feel like I've smoked 100 cigarettes listening now, his breathing is as bad as Marians.

Is he 100% sure that it wasnt his American Pitbull that killed that man in the river?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

"ah yeah, I'm off the drugs now..... I'm on methadone now though."

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭bigroad

I think most of the people in prison are from the non working class.

The first time Ian Paisley ever got a Catholic a job..

That's Stephen Clinch.. I dont remember him from Love/Hate tbh..

stephen-clinch-jack-ralph-plan-a-murder_3955406.jpg

• Advertisement

Marian: "Were you on social welfare"
    Chap: "Yes Marian I'd been paying tax for years, so I was entitled to job seekers allowance"..

Just to distinguish himself from all those people who never worked a day and are still entitled to job seekers allowance.. He's paid for his in advance.. :pac:

Next up, Barry Scott with his Magic Mop..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

County Hurler (aka Cortina driver)

just read your comments on Olivia from last tuesday. I heard Olivia this morning and share ,more or less, your comments.
    I listen to Uk radio when abroad and have often heard Olivia , and regarded her as perhaps the best Irish person on UK radio.

She was superb on the Queens visit ,on RTE.

However, a year ago or so she plunged ,imo, with her rant on the Gordon Bennet Rally ,bothering her and a few canal side walkers in Carlow. A rally that predated her birth by decades.

Anyway, today my wife and I listened to her. Being a FG voter, my wife asked my opinion afterwards. I replied that the facts were more or less correct, the issue was a mess, but that Olivia had quite a bit of vitriol in use.

I imagined her perhaps bumping into Enda in the next few days, they must know each other and Enda making some light hearted comment to her. he is a bigger man than most imo.

Hope the Cortina is running well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

That's Stephen Clinch.. I dont remember him from Love/Hate tbh..

stephen-clinch-jack-ralph-plan-a-murder_3955406.jpg

He played, surprisingly enough, a rather unpleasant character called Noely, who smashed Fran's front tooth during an altercation in a pub jacks. I think it was because Fran rode his mot in a previous series.

And then Fran pissed on his ma's grave.

RayM wrote: »
    He played, surprisingly enough, a rather unpleasant character called Noely, who smashed Fran's front tooth during an altercation in a pub jacks

Ah yes, I remember now Ray... He came in from behind him and attacked him while he was playing Space Invaders with the urinal cakes... Wasnt a huge part really was it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Wasnt a huge part really was it..

I don't know - the camera didn't focus on it at all...

Oh, sorry, you mean the role. I'd say his total screen time was less than a couple of minutes altogether.

I appeared in Glenroe on more than one occasion (twice, to be exact), and you don't hear me going on about it (apart from now, obviously).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭nzamcdza

Anything to be said for another Mass?! :D

Robert Ballagh, this should be funny... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I thought she usually did the papers and panel round-up of the week on a Sunday morning :confused:

Can't stand Robert Ballagh, he's a serial moaner, never heard him say a positive word about anything.

ETA - aha, there is a panel, sorry! Just turned on and heard RB giving a monologue, feared the worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Robert Ballagh, this should be funny... :p

Kerry getting the top subvention from the Arts Council and having two Ministers for The Arts is a nice reveal though...fair play to him for that.

If it was a man that did what Heather Humphreys did, they would all be calling them corrupt... Why is it that because Heather Humphreys is a woman, she is a victim in this?? She had the choice to a) facilitate the McNulty plan or b) make a stand against it..... She chose to facilitate it, so that she would hold on to her Ministry...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Ballagh - "No one has ever gone on to better things after serving as Minister for the Arts."

Everyone else - "But look at Michael D."

Ballagh - "Yeah but...but ...but...eh..."

I agree - It is indeed hard to find good people for Boards.

You only have to look at some of the threads over in After Hours. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

What do people on these boards actually do? :confused:

(serious question)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

If it was a man that did what Heather Humphreys did, they would all be calling them corrupt... Why is it that because Heather Humphreys is a woman, she is a victim in this?? She had the choice to a) facilitate the McNulty plan or b) make a stand against it..... She chose to facilitate it, so that she would hold on to her Ministry...

It's simply because she was only just into the job - her appointment apparently coming as big a surprise to her as to anyone else. I don't agree that she is being depicted as a victim, the only person being depicted as a victim in this debacle rightly is Mr McNulty. Humphrey's is being depicted as naieve, a political innocent and easily manipulated ... not how any feminist would want to be described.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    What do people on these boards actually do? :confused:

(serious question)

Excellent question ... short answer nothing apart from filling in expense claims

Callan57 wrote: »
    I don't agree that she is being depicted as a victim, the only person being depicted as a victim in this debacle rightly is Mr McNulty.

Morning Callan, did you listen to that podcast (and accompanying rant :o) I posted a couple of pages.. Some elements of the media are certainly presenting her as the victim in this..

I still think that the person who supposedly orchestrated this (while Enda was in the US) should be fired... It would be good for FG and good for the country... It should show that a) FG does not condone this sort of corruption and b) that there is finally some accountability in the country.

That smug condescending Three ad makes me feel like cancelling my mobile broadband..

Can't blame Marian for her dismissave attitude towards the HSE for issuing a hifalutin statement.

Thats their standard response to everything. A bunch of faceless Sir Humphrys.

If they have someone standing by to draft a long winded statement on a Sunday morning, then surely an organisation of their size could find someone to go on air to defend against the allegations.

Nobody ever died because of lack of Arts funding, Robert...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Nobody ever died because of lack of Arts funding, Robert...

:eek: Wot about;

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRiN_ouLMkQ9vicL6seJb1PMJ6cLeHseb6m66Df15-qR3GoA0OPuw

• Advertisement

Morning Callan, did you listen to that podcast (and accompanying rant :o) I posted a couple of pages.. Some elements of the media are certainly presenting her as the victim in this..

I heard Olivia O'Leary and listened back to it after your post and to be quite honest I think you are hearing what you want to hear.
    Certainly not one of Olivia's best contributions but what she said was that Humprey's was embarrassed and mortified (as anyone, male or female) in the same position would be (unless they had an incredibly hard neck) - that is fact! IMO most people I've discussed this with (and in honesty very few are interested) they feel Humphries was naive, politically innocent and was probably too open to manipulation because she was new to the job - not because she is a woman.

Marian - "Don't mention Roscommon, because there's a by-election and we're not talking about it."

I can't help thinking if there was a by-election in Dublin South she would give it a half an hour of discussion.

If they're only two hundred meters from your house, why dont you offer to put the up for a few nights?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

"The sky is dark with chickens coming home to roost......."

Chickens aren't great at the flying lark, so I wouldn't be all that worried about them darkening the skies.

Every time Gemma Hussey starts talking that loudmouth chap starts talking over her..

Every time Gemma Hussey starts talking that loudmouth chap starts talking over her..

Who is he anyway?

He sounds a bit like John Bowman.

This is starting to sound like Liveline now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,941 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Lapin wrote: »
    I agree - It is indeed hard to find good people for Boards.

You only have to look at some of the threads over in After Hours. :pac:

The wages on here are rubbish!
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

What a bad week for Sinn Fein... First Matt Carthy is made look like a gobsh1te in Europe and now this Facebook mess up... So unlike the Shinners who are usually pretty much the most the most coordinated and organised with these things..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Lapin wrote: »
    Who is he anyway?

He sounds a bit like John Bowman.

I think he is Ken murphy Head ot legal profession or some such

This is such a nauseating interview with the Yank ambassador.

Obama loves Irrreland so much, it took him two years to appoint a new ambassador :D

Surely it's "there ARE no direct flights" ... hope Gay Byrne isn't listening or he'll have a conniption

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,321 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Good interview with John Cleese.

Forgot about 'Clockwise' - great film :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Felt quite emotional listening to the ambassador's account of his grandparents'
    journey to the States (with seven children!) and how his father and all his siblings
    had to cease their education when the Wall Street crash occurred in 1929. Their
    story is very reminiscent of that of so many of our own families who had to
    emigrate. I'll admit I shed a tear listening to his account of how he felt as he
    stood in Áras an Uachtaráin looking across at his new abode, that of US
    ambassador to Ireland. Quite a journey since his grandparents emigrated
    from Ireland one hundred years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,321 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Forget about the Ebola virus, apparently there's a new virus going around...Ebollah :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

How many different ways can Marion pronounce ebola?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Went to the same school as Áine Lawlor, obviously!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

RadioRetro wrote: »
    Yeah I was thinking that myself. Whatever about not getting the pronunciation right, at least be consistent!

RadioRetro wrote: »

Was listening to it in the car today... On the drive over to the hardware store it was Eeee bowl a .... and on the way home it was He bol a

It's just sloppy presenting, lack of attention to detail.. I tell ya, 500k gets you nothing these days..

It's just sloppy presenting, lack of attention to detail.. I tell ya, 500k gets you nothing these days..

I reckon Marian's "research" takes all of five minutes. During the John Cleese interview she referred to "Michael" Muggeridge, and her "Don't say anything about the war" line was just plain embarrassing.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement