Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Art of the Mix Cd??

Options
  • 27-06-2010 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

I have about 300 top tunes from all kinds of different decades and genres e.g. funk, soul, jazz, disco, blues, punk, rock, indie, pop, lounge, ambient, post punk, electronica, country and I'm trying to divide these songs into cds of about 16 tracks. How would you approach this task? Would you keep the genres together, pick out themes, or just use itunes shuffle?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Depends what you want the CDs for I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Did this before for a "Driving" playlist, was delighted with it, then stupidly deleted the playlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

If it's specifically for a CD I'll just lob songs that I like onto it regardless of genre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Genre doesn't matter, the art of a good mix cd is tough, its a personal choice and taste.

Always open with an upbeat tune, then tone it down for a track or two then back up I find.

But it depends what your trying to do, driving cd would need to be upbeat but calming at the same time, for those road rage stuck in traffic moments.

Best advice mix and match genres and types of music, breaking it up and keeping it interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Just when I think YouTube has it all covered, it lets me down. I'm looking for a clip from High Fidelity where Rob Gordon (John Cusack) is describing the 'subtle art' of making a compilation tape. I found the paragraph on IMDb, though.

"Now, the making of a good compilation tape is a very subtle art. Many dos and don'ts. First of all you're using someone else's poetry to express how you feel. This is a delicate thing."

"The making of a great compilation tape, like breaking up, is hard to do and takes ages longer than it might seem. You gotta kick off with a killer, to grab attention. Then you got to take it up a notch, but you don't wanna blow your wad, so then you got to cool it off a notch. There are a lot of rules."

If you want to make a good mix tape, you have to think like that, I reckon. Rob's advice has helped me out a few times ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

I mix CDs according to themes. Kind of hard to explain, but just think of any theme, pick songs that remind you of it, drop it on a disc and burn. That's what I've done for my playlists, and they work quite well.

Advertisement