Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help me buy a headset

• 27-06-2010 7:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭

So the bearings and the fork bung seem to be at their last and I don't want to risk the ring of kerry in dodgy gear. I can buy the same stuff from planetx or find some nice carbon eye candy headset and cup (obviously more expensive) and save a few grams as well. I 'd prefer going to the second option, but the question is.. what do I get? :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

What kind of headset have you got regular, internal, semi-internal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

AstraMonti wrote: »
    As far as i can see it's a standard integrated headset, basically avoid anything that says campagnolo integrated as they use a different bearing angles.
    you'll be looking for something with 36/45 bearings ie one bearing has a 36˚ beveled edge and the other has a 45˚ one. where as the campy ones have 45/45.

I bought one of these recently and it's working well.

Thanks! Would I need to buy another fork bung or the headset is coming with it?

as in the piece that goes into the steerer tube that the top cap screws into? no should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Astra is this any good to you? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055935176
    They have the correct angles you need ie 36/45

BTW Good to meet you today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

My PX carbon pro uses a Campagnolo headset. I changed the headest on my own to a Canecreek IS 8, http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Cane_Creek_IS_8_Integrated_Carbon_Campagnolo_Aheadset/5360044655/

abcdggs wrote: »
    as in the piece that goes into the steerer tube that the top cap screws into? no should be fine.

Sorry I meant that I have to buy one of those as well as it gets constantly loose. I assume that I have to buy another extra as it doesn't come with the headset?
    bcmf wrote: »
    Astra is this any good to you? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055935176
    They have the correct angles you need ie 36/45

BTW Good to meet you today.

Twas good to meet you too! I ll let you know about the headset!
    lescol wrote: »
    My PX carbon pro uses a Campagnolo headset. I changed the headest on my own to a Canecreek IS 8, http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Cane_Creek_IS_8_Integrated_Carbon_Campagnolo_Aheadset/5360044655/

Really? That's interesting now. If they have different angles how does that work?

The headset supplied with my PX was an FSA Orbit with Campy written on the bearings. This rusted so I replaced it with the Cane Creek IS8 bought from Wiggle about a year ago, as far as I'm aware the PX SL Pro Carbon still uses a Campy fit headset.

Thanks, was this the one you had on it?

• Advertisement

Yes, that's the one. I wasn't happy that it only lasted a few months before I saw rusty gunk oozing from the bottom of the headtube. An intensive (well 10-15 min) internet search led me to believe that CaneCreek would do a better job. A year on and no issues. The headset itself is simplicity to fit, however, the crownrace of the FSA is not the same as the CaneCreek.

Thanks a lot!

The crownrace is the lower part that sits on the fork right?

So I can go and buy this that I like a lot? http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=25966

And last (hopefully) question, what should I do with the fork bung? Will it come with the headset or I need to find another to buy?

Looks fine, the tech docs are here:- http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/documenti/en/7225190-Hiddenset_headset-10-06.pdf

The doc says that the headset is supplied with a star washer which is not suitable for the PX carbon fork. If your original fork bung needs replacing you should buy another, eg http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=19009 and screw the Campag top cap into it.

Thanks a lot lescol! Putting the order now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Thanks a lot lescol! Putting the order now :)

I'm fairly sure I have a spare one you could have if you've not already ordered... will look tonight if you want?

Sure, I ll wait, cheers Tiny.

Last question people!

What is the Tall top cup difference on the headsets?

Stack height, if you want a low position you'll need the small, if you have a few spacers then you have the option of using the tall and hence fewer spacers.

Ok it's here.. but the bearings arrived in a little box like that. (Panic attacks .. etc ). :eek:

Thought you knew that was how Campag bearings would be!

You should have 2 retainers and 2 bearing cup races. On pages 22-25 of the tech doc. The bearing cup race should fit into the headtube with grease for the bearings.

This is one reason I opted for CaneCreek, drop in cartridge bearings.

• Advertisement

lescol wrote: »
    Thought you knew that was how Campag bearings would be!

You should have 2 retainers and 2 bearing cup races. On pages 22-25 of the tech doc. The bearing cup race should fit into the headtube with grease for the bearings.

This is one reason I opted for CaneCreek, drop in cartridge bearings.
    I had no clue! It's first time doing this madness :P

Is lithium grease ok or I need a specific one? Although they seem to have a lot of grease on them. Do I need any specific tools? Thanks again for your help :)

I use this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24446 but it will probably cause instant destruction of a Campag bearing:D

You should be fine with a good quality grease. I guess the advantage of the bearing races is serviceability but I still prefer remove, throw away, drop in!

You need to remove the crownrace from the fork and bang on the new, so that's a removal tool and a crownrace setting tool. Do you have a friendly LBS to help you? The rest is easy and you'll only need your Allen keys to tighten the top cap and stem.

Cheers! Now that I remember, I think that when we installed the original one with Tiny, we didn't use any specific tool for the crownrace..

Tiny, tiny are you here? :P

I did it.. almost! I went to cyclesuperstore to get the crown on and although the lads there were busy theυ gave 2 mins for their time to help, cheers!

Well I put it, but I have a bit of a gap as the picture shows. I can't seem to be able to put it better. I am doing something wrong or it's supposed to be like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

No that looks ok, but hard to tell from the photo, really need to see the crown race on its own on the fork, but as long as its down as far as possible & uniform all round you should be good to go.

Looks OK in the picture, but hard to tell. I take it that you've no looseness in the headset and that it turns smoothly. If so, try it out and congratulations.

Advertisement