Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Officiating at the World Cup

• 27-06-2010 7:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,467 ✭✭✭✭

It is farcical.

Destroying the tournament.

Yet Fifa will yet again say there is no need for video technology.

I honestly can't remember the standard of officiating being as poor before.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The whole World Cup has been rubbish this year.

Playing, managing, officiating, all brutal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

England v West Germany 1966 Was it over the live v1.0
    Schumacher vs Battiston 1982
    Hand of God 1986
    Laurent Blanc red card 1998
    Rivaldo vs Unsal 2002
    Graham Poll 3 red cards 2006

I thought the general feeling earlier in the tournament was that the reffing was pretty good?

Also, obligatory mention of Henry's handball.

Carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Ah now, leave poor Sepp alone. It's very hard for an old man to grasp modern technology

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

It is farcical.

Let's not get carried away. Today has been a black day but up to this we were complimenting the standard of officiating at the World Cup. The only two incidents that stood out were the Cahill & Kaka sendings off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

The first few games I was impressed by the officiating but it's been downhill from there in my opinion.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

in fairness the officiating was actually excellent for the first week, gone down hill since though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,807 ✭✭✭✭kippy

It is farcical.

The officials can only do so much. In general I have found the officiating to be of a very good standard.
    They are ALWAYS going to miss out on things, there are only three of them active and they cannot use video technology.
    If you want to blame poor decisions on anyone blame them on that clown who is completely against the use of video for ANY decision making bar retrospective appeals of cards.
    Sepp doesnt seem to want to change things, else the game wont be half as entertaining/controversial and hence profitable.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,467 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Aidric wrote: »
    Let's not get carried away. Today has been a black day but up to this we were complimenting the standard of officiating at the World Cup. The only two incidents that stood out were the Cahill & Kaka sendings off.

far far far too many yellow cards in my opinion.

kippy wrote: »
    The officials can only do so much. In general I have found the officiating to be of a very good standard.
    They are ALWAYS going to miss out on things, there are only three of them active and they cannot use video technology.
    If you want to blame poor decisions on anyone blame them on that clown who is completely against the use of video for ANY decision making bar retrospective appeals of cards.

No. The goal in the england game was not down to a lack of video tech - it was poor officiating.

Even more so for the Tevez goal this evening; a lack of video tech is not to blame. The ball only traveled about 8 yards and Tevez was a good 2 or 3 yards offside. It was a very very easy call to make. It was terrible officiating.

Video tech would have resulted in the ref being made aware of his terrible ruling and sorted it out, but they were two calls that should not have been made incorrectly in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭eoinbn

The refs were very good during the first round of matches but it's gone downhill since then and is now at the standard that is expected!
    Refs are humans and humans make mistake. Complaining about the standard won't change anything. The tech was there TONIGHT to correct that offside decision but it is deemed to be against the rules to use the large TV to change a decision. The rules need to change, not the ref's(althought that was a very bad call!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

How has the standard of refereeing been good? The USA were screwed over earlier in the tournament and the sending off in the Spain/Chile game was ridiculous. There's probably been other moments too that I'm omitting.

I think the sport should be judged on the play itself rather than moments of controversy. What does it say about the sport when the guy at the top thinks we need to debate errors and mistakes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

far far far too many yellow cards in my opinion.

Too many reds too.

No. The goal in the england game was not down to a lack of video tech - it was poor officiating.

Even more so for the Tevez goal this evening; a lack of video tech is not to blame. The ball only traveled about 8 yards and Tevez was a good 2 or 3 yards offside. It was a very very easy call to make. It was terrible officiating.

Video tech would have resulted in the ref being made aware of his terrible ruling and sorted it out, but they were two calls that should not have been made incorrectly in the first place.

Have you ever been linesman in front of 60 odd thousand spectators when the ball can move through the air at tens of kilometres per hour?
    I doubt it.
    People make mistakes. Players do it all the fecking time and get away without being harassed. Look at the Mexican defender for the second goal.
    If you want to irradicate mistakes from officating at top level tournaments get the best officials in there and give them the tools to do it right.
    This forum has a thread on poor decisions almost monthly. Thats NEVER going to change unless they are given help, what with player acting/feigning injury (which has been common this WC) and the speeds at which the ball moves.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

As much as I took joy in that Lampard disallowed goal, it really was a pathetic decision.

There is too much on the line in these games. Guys like Lampard, Gerrard will probably never get another shot at the World Cup again.

And it ruined tonights game, as much as I like Argentina.

Europa League style extra official would've given the goal, and I would hope have the authority for the offside tonight, he may not be in line but in tonight's case he wouldn't need to be.

Have you ever been linesman in front of 60 odd thousand spectators when the ball can move through the air at tens of kilometres per hour?
    I doubt it.

Ah the classic "I'd like to see you do better" argument. It's irrelevant, he's there to do a job and did it very, very badly.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

As much as I took joy in that Lampard disallowed goal, it really was a pathetic decision.

There is too much on the line in these games. Guys like Lampard, Gerrard will probably never get another shot at the World Cup again.

And it ruined tonights game, as much as I like the Argies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I doubt it.
    People make mistakes. Players do it all the fecking time and get away without being harassed. Look at the Mexican defender for the second goal.
    If you want to irradicate mistakes from officating at top level tournaments get the best officials in there and give them the tools to do it right.
    This forum has a thread on poor decisions almost monthly. Thats NEVER going to change unless they are given help, what with player acting/feigning injury (which has been common this WC) and the speeds at which the ball moves.

Huh? I'm Robert Green will disagree with that. Most of the English players will get dogs abuse in the papers the next few days. If players have shocking performances they tend to get dropped, if refs do it there back out again a few days later in the world cup.

I am making the point that the job is NOT as handy as it looks. Why did he do the job badly, thats the question you have to ask yourself.

Huh? I'm Robert Green will disagree with that. Most of the English players will get dogs abuse in the papers the next few days. If players have shocking performances they tend to get dropped, if refs do it there back out again a few days later in the world cup.

What do you suggest then?
    There arent enough "world class" officials out there who dont make mistakes......... thered be no officials available to ref the later stages of the world cup.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I doubt it.

So ****ing what? Ridiculous argument.

Also the argument of it would ruin the flow of the game is total bollocks. It would have taken less time to consult a video for tonight's incident than it took for mexico to eventually take the tip off.

If you just look at goal incidents this worls cup has been a disgrace. The US had two goals missed and two during todays games. It's not right that a team can go out after 4 years of hard work for a human error. Yes people make mistakes and always will, it's the lack of doing anything to try and correct them that is at fault.

amacachi wrote: »
    Ah the classic "I'd like to see you do better" argument. It's irrelevant, he's there to do a job and did it very, very badly.

What do you suggest.

lordgoat wrote: »
    So ****ing what? Ridiculous argument.

Also the argument of it would ruin the flow of the game is total bollocks. It would have taken less time to consult a video for tonight's incident than it took for mexico to eventually take the tip off.

If you just look at goal incidents this worls cup has been a disgrace. The US had two goals missed and two during todays games. It's not right that a team can go out after 4 years of hard work for a human error. Yes people make mistakes and always will, it's the lack of doing anything to try and correct them that is at fault.

I totally agree with you, others dont appear to however.

I am making the point that the job is NOT as handy as it looks. Why did he do the job badly, thats the question you have to ask yourself.

Because he is clearly not up to the task.

Was it in any way a tough decision to call Tevez offside? Really? It could not have been any clearer - it was a shockingly poor piece of officiating.

The ball did not move quickly.

The players did not cross over just as the ball got played.

It was an easy call and he screwed it up.

Only two 'good' explanations. 1. Incompetent and crap linesman. 2. Corrupt and bribed. I'd prefer it to be number 1 to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Think the standard has been exemplary myself, bar today's little incident and Kaka's sending off there hasn't been much to talk of.

The officiating has been consistent, and that's important.

Goal line technology is definitely needed but Sepp Blatter will need an almighty kick up the whole to get it done or we'll be waiting to a more liberal replacement for him is in place.

Because he is clearly not up to the task.

Was it in any way a tough decision to call Tevez offside? Really? It could not have been any clearer - it was a shockingly poor piece of officiating.

The ball did not move quickly.

The players did not cross over just as the ball got played.

It was an easy call and he screwed it up.

Only two 'good' explanations. 1. Incompetent and crap linesman. 2. Corrupt and bribed. I'd prefer it to be number 1 to be honest.
    Has he made mistakes like this in the past?
    What do you suggest happens him now? He gets "fired" from being a linesman ever again?
    Have you ever made a bad decision in your job?

sdonn wrote: »
    Think the standard has been exemplary myself, bar today's little incident and Kaka's sending off there hasn't been much to talk of.

The officiating has been consistent, and that's important.

Consistently inconsistent?

Did you see the two US goals ruled out for no reason? The countless games with yellow card after yellow card? I can't think of another tournament where so many teams have a genuine reason to fell very hard done by, though no fault of their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

It is farcical.

Ya like 66, it is the same for every tournament. Only losers complain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Really these changes are needed. Two pieces of abysmal officiating today cost two teams two vital goals. This is the World Cup, it should be mistakes by players and not by the refs that cost goals. Unforunately we won't see any changes 'till Sepp is gone.

• Advertisement

Has he made mistakes like this in the past?
    What do you suggest happens him now? He gets "fired" from being a linesman ever again?
    Have you ever made a bad decision in your job?

I'd actually like to see ref/linesmans performances evaluated over a season. Especially in the top leagues. And it would be very easy to implement. I also think you're missing the point. There are valid methods to reduce the number of mistakes yet they are being ignored, if you were an employer you'd have no reason not to bring them in. It's not exactly fair or cromulent to compare the referee to job blogs who works in company x.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Warper wrote: »
    Ya like 66, it is the same for every tournament. Only losers complain.

Their have clearly been more bad decisions this year than in previous tournaments, not that it was acceptable back then either!

What do you suggest.

Huh? The thread is about officiating at the World Cup, in this case I was stating that the official made a big mistake. I'm criticising him for that mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Yet Fifa will yet again say there is no need for video technology..

FIFA ? ? ? Dont you mean Blatter . .

There is a strong argument that had Blatter FIFA not tried to pick refs with little or no big match experience for commercial reasons, that some of these shocking decisions would not happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Their have clearly been more bad decisions this year than in previous tournaments, not that it was acceptable back then either!

Prove it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

This has not been simply today.

Luis Fabiano handled the ball twice to finish the Ivory Coast's participation at the World Cup. A blantant penalty was denied to Australia against Ghana. Huguain was offside to finish off Korea. Even the Denamrk penalty against Japan was a farce.

The standard of officiating was set at the Stade De France last November. The tournament has been poor, but the officiating has been a joke/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ya,tbf,I doubt the officiating has been poorer than other WCs,might even be better.Out of the 4 I've seen,this has probably been the best, despite a few disastrous decisions.In several years time,people will only remember the big decisions, like the Lampard goal or the Tevez offside due to the reaction afterwards.

Also,there have been a few poor decisions, but there have been plenty of good decisions too that no one will remember

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I can't see how anyone can compliment the officiating in this tournament, it's been absolutely abysmal.

Referees are giving out way too many yellow cards for nothing tackles, in a few cases getting the players angry and riled up so there's more bad tackles.

I'd actually like to see ref/linesmans performances evaluated over a season. Especially in the top leagues. And it would be very easy to implement. I also think you're missing the point. There are valid methods to reduce the number of mistakes yet they are being ignored, if you were an employer you'd have no reason not to bring them in. It's not exactly fair or cromulent to compare the referee to job blogs who works in company x.
    Again I totally agree.
    Fair enough calling it poor officiating. We've always had poor officiating. But its NOT totally the officials fault. I agree, they dont have the tools to help them officiate properly - hence why there are decisions that are at best questionable.
    Most of the refs/linesmen at this World cup ARE the best in the world and HAVE been evaluated over a number of seasons. I doubt there is ONE of them that has NEVER made a bad call however.
    None of them are perfect and never will, even with video technology but at least video technology if used correctly will improve on the amount of misjustices we see in the game.

This has to be coupled with bigger player punishments for "simulation" or cheating also however.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Football is becoming a joke in comparison to the other big sports in the world a la Basketball, American Football and I'll even stretch as far as Ice Hockey and Rugby. Poor officiating is ruining way too many games and in such a big money making sport it should have been introduced a long time ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

1) Remove timekeeping as a responsibility of the referee. All games at the top level to have the clock managed by an official in a booth off the pitch. The referee simply signals time off and time on;

2) Goal - line technology. Referee only awards goal when confirmation that the ball has crossed the line is fed into his earpiece;

3) Each coach can have a decision reviewed by a TV match official twice / three times a game;

4) Increase disciplinary review after games. Copy the citing system used by Rugby and allow yellow cards to be appealed;

5) Use point 4 to eviscerate divers / cheats. Like, really go through them for a shortcut by handing out suspensions to players who are shown to have dived by video evidence;

Do all that, and people can get onto enjoying fairer matches and spend more time discussing what actually matters in football games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Rezident

The whole World Cup has been rubbish this year.

Playing, managing, officiating, all brutal.

And don't forget those unbelievably annoying horns - the sound is awful. It's SO LOUD and irritating throught he whole match. Is that supposed to be atmosphere? Why on earth was the World Cup held in South Africa? There are so many better venues for football.

Officials have already provent hey cannpot possibly do the job without technology, it's only a matter of time before it comes in, the sooner the better.

Warper wrote: »
    Prove it

Tonight's 1st Argentina goal
    Lampard's goal that wasn't this afternoon
    USA goals being ruled out for two matches in a row
    Fabiano's 2nd (with some lovely hand movement) against the Ivorians
    kaka sending-off later on, and Keita getting away scot free
    Klose basketball like sending-off
    Hernandez offside against France
    Melo not being sent-off, despite the personal vendetta against Pepe
    Cahill's light sending off against ze Germans
    Stupid sending off decision for the Swiss against Chile (forget the player's name)

Shall I go on until my hands bleed at the keyboard, or is that enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Melo lasting 90 mins, despite the personal vendettaa against Pepe

Melo was taken off after 43 minutes.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Melo was taken off after 43 minutes.

Forgot he was substituted, but the real story was how he hadn't been sent off by then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

flanzer wrote: »
    Ah now, leave poor Sepp alone. It's very hard for an old man to grasp modern technology

George Hooks done ok with sky +:D:pac:

Seriously something has to change. Twice today, What a farce, I am Disgusted. They introduced goal line technology into American football a while back.

The basics are that there is a tv screen at the side of the pitch. Each team can make something like 2 appeals per game and the refs/officials have like 30 secs to view the offence and make their decision. I could be slightly wrong on this.

Too many times now this has happened!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    1) Remove timekeeping as a responsibility of the referee. All games at the top level to have the clock managed by an official in a booth off the pitch. The referee simply signals time off and time on;

2) Goal - line technology. Referee only awards goal when confirmation that the ball has crossed the line is fed into his earpiece;

3) Each coach can have a decision reviewed by a TV match official twice / three times a game;

4) Increase disciplinary review after games. Copy the citing system used by Rugby and allow yellow cards to be appealed;

5) Use point 4 to eviscerate divers / cheats. Like, really go through them for a shortcut by handing out suspensions to players who are shown to have dived by video evidence;

Do all that, and people can get onto enjoying fairer matches and spend more time discussing what actually matters in football games.
    Agree with all that except the first point, don't think the timekeeping thing is really a massive issue.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Agree with all that except the first point, don't think the timekeeping thing is really a massive issue.

Man Utd vs City Old Trafford

It would be a very simple change that would improve accuracy of games.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Man Utd vs City Old Trafford

It would be a very simple change that would improve accuracy of games.

But that just proves the ref got it right? :eek:

But that just proves the ref got it right? :eek:

Huh?

If "timekeeping" was as precise as people wish to make it matches would last about twice as long to make up for the amount of time the ball is not in play.

• Advertisement
Advertisement