Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting out

Options
  • 27-06-2010 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hi

I've started a new eating regime and would like to start an exercise regime.
    I'll start with my stats

Sex: Female
    Height: 5'4"
    Weight: 11stone 4pounds

My eating regime is on the food diary section and I have taken up jogging and brisk walking. My other half is going to show me some exercises as of tomorrow but any advice or suggestions are really welcome. I'm looking to get down to about 10 stone... not really sure when that will be, but it's my goal (want to look good in my wedding dress next year).

So I will take all the help I can get!

26th June
    Went for a mixture of brisk walking and jogging (about 3 miles)
    Went for a mixture of brisk walking and jogging again later (about 1 and a half miles)

Thanks everyone, all help and advice is very welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

http://www.mapmywalk.com/

Ideas for new routes. Search by area or make your own. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭tufterween

Not entirely sure how to use that site... am in the back arse of nowhere so it doesn't recognise where I am

28th June

Series of weights lifting
    15 squats
    15 push ups
    15 stomach crunches
    15 leg lifts
    15 jumps squats
    45 secs stomach tightening exercise

29th June

Mixture of brisk walking and jogging for about 2 miles

30th June

Mixture of brisk walking and jogging for about 3 miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Are you in a gym? Maybe your boyfriend could get you a guest pass to try it out if he's in one?

If not then it might be worth your while buying a kettlebell to throw in with the bodyweight exercises. They're really handy yokes and there's a huge variety of work you can do with them, you'll find some decent tutorials online. Just an idea! :)

• Advertisement

G86, I will be a member or Trinity College gym as of September but am extremely self concious about going into gyms... although not fat I have a few problem areas and feel as though I cannot keep up with the muscular buffs in the gym... prefer to do things by myself. Thanks for the advice and I will definitely look into getting a kettlebell!

Just as a quick sidenote I feel so so so much better and energised and healthier since starting this new routine (exercise and diet)... God, I don't know why I haven't done it before this.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MarcusFenix

Feckin go you!!;)

Feckin go you!!;)

Haha thanks very much

Was away all day today so didn't get a chance to fit in any exercise... will be back on track tomorrow though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

tufterween wrote: »
    I cannot keep up with the muscular buffs in the gym....

Who says you have to keep up with anyone?

• Advertisement

2nd July

15 squats
    15 push ups
    15 stomach crunches
    15 leg lifts
    15 jumps squats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

Woohoo another Food Diary lady with a fitness log :D You did well with the weights yesterday fair play! I don't have the patience for it, I'd rather be out walking or jogging! :D

I do like doing the weights and exercises... breaks up the jogging and walking routine.

Hmmm, have a trampoline at home and am wondering how much jumping on that I would have to do for it to be worthwhile....

3rd July

Mixture of jogging and brisk walking for about a mile

15 squats
    15 push ups
    15 stomach crunches
    15 leg lifts
    15 jumps squats

4th July

Didn't do much today... played footbal for 3/4 of an hour or so, bounced on the trampoline for a while with my brother and had a big water fight.
    Not too much but I suppose it's better than nothing

Will get back to normal tomorrow

5th July

Played football for about an hour and a half

6th July

15 squats
    20push ups
    25 stomach crunches
    20 leg lifts
    15 jumps squats
    45 secs stomach tightening exercise (plank)

7th July
    Was at the zoo today so didn't get any chance to do much today

Was 11 and a half stone last time I checked (mid way through last month). Am 10 and a half stone now! :)

8th July

An hour of football

Have come down with the flu as of yesterday so am not get much exercise in... obviously! Hopefully I will be better soon!!

11th July

Am feeling much better today. Getting back on track now!

Lateral raises 1.1kg X 30
    Upright rows 2.5kg X 30
    Hammer curls 2.5kg X 50/60
    Overhead triceps extension 2.5kg X 30
    triceps kickbacks 2.5kg X 20

20 squats
    15 push ups
    20 stomach crunches
    20 leg lifts
    15 jumps squats
    45 secs stomach tightening exercise (plank)

• Advertisement

Just wondering, when you say 'series of weights lifting' are you referring to the bodyweight work? Or are you doing weights before that also?

G86 wrote: »
    Just wondering, when you say 'series of weights lifting' are you referring to the bodyweight work? Or are you doing weights before that also?

I use dumbell weights for a series of different exercises... I don't know what the exercises are called

Edit - just found a site with the names of some of the exercises i do on it. Not sure if the same names are used accross the board but sure I'll put them in here and you might recognise the names.

Lateral raises
    Front raises
    Upright rows
    Hammer curls
    Overhead triceps extension
    triceps kickbacks

Here's the link to the site
    http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/dumbbellexercises.html

I use dumbell weights for a series of different exercises... I don't know what the exercises are called

Edit - just found a site with the names of some of the exercises i do on it. Not sure if the same names are used accross the board but sure I'll put them in here and you might recognise the names.

Lateral raises
    Front raises
    Upright rows
    Hammer curls
    triceps kickbacks

Here's the link to the site
    http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/dumbbellexercises.html

Ah right ok, what weight are the dumbbells? It might be worth your while keeping track of each exercise/reps and weight in your log.

yeah ok, sounds like a good idea

I use 2.5kg for
    Front raises
    Upright rows
    Hammer curls
    triceps kickbacks

And 1.1kg for
    Lateral raises

What are reps?

Reps are the amount of times you do each exercise. e.g. Tricep Kickbacks 2kgx10

I really don't want to sound disheartening, because you're doing great, but to be honest you're not going to see much progress with 1 or 2kg weights, you really won't - regardless of your fitness level. It's just where joining a gym becomes a necessity if you want to have a decent weight selection. But you're definitely on the right track with the bodyweight workouts and fair play on the weight loss too! :)

Also, where can I get a reasonably priced sports bra? I'm a 36/38 E and desperately need to get one... is it hard to find ones in that size?

Also, where can I get a reasonably priced sports bra? I'm a 36/38 E and desperately need to get one... is it hard to find ones in that size?

I got mine in Arnotts, they've a great selection of bodyshock sports bras and there are always offers on, like buy one get one half price. I'm around the same size and they're the best brand I've used yet for support. Cost is around 40-50Eur but well worth it.

Reps are the amount of times you do each exercise. e.g. Tricep Kickbacks 2kgx10

I really don't want to sound disheartening, because you're doing great, but to be honest you're not going to see much progress with 1 or 2kg weights, you really won't - regardless of your fitness level. It's just where joining a gym becomes a necessity if you want to have a decent weight selection. But you're definitely on the right track with the bodyweight workouts and fair play on the weight loss too! :)

Oh right, thanks... i will defintely put that into my logs.

Hmmm... well I'm not looking to build up muscly arms or anything like that at all. Also I find the 2.5kg weights hard enough at the moment... could I put the two together (the 1.1 and 2.5), would that be enough for what you mean?

I will have free membership to trinity gym come September and will definitely consider using it... I just feel awkward in a gym. Also, I have to pay for travel to and from the gym which is very tricky as I have not got a very large budget....

Oh right, thanks... i will defintely put that into my logs.

Hmmm... well I'm not looking to build up muscly arms or anything like that at all. Also I find the 2.5kg weights hard enough at the moment... could I put the two together (the 1.1 and 2.5), would that be enough for what you mean?

I will have free membership to trinity gym come September and will definitely consider using it... I just feel awkward in a gym. Also, I have to pay for travel to and from the gym which is very tricky as I have not got a very large budget....

I can't stress this enough, lifting heavy weights will not give you big 'muscly arms', honestly. Sure I do so regularly and I'm no beefcake. Also, G'em - who moderates here, lifts competitively and she looks amazing. Actually, if you look over in the Ladies Lounge there's a thread about Introductory Lifting sessions she's doing at the moment - maybe that would be an option for you? It's free of charge and I'm sure there will be another on soon.

I wouldn't advise you to use 2 DB's with the same hand. How far are you from the gym? Could you walk? I understand you being a bit intimidated, but I swear to god, after your first session and once you know what you're doing, you won't feel like that at all :)

• Advertisement

I can't stress this enough, lifting heavy weights will not give you big 'muscly arms', honestly. Sure I do so regularly and I'm no beefcake. Also, G'em - who moderates here, lifts competitively and she looks amazing. Actually, if you look over in the Ladies Lounge there's a thread about Introductory Lifting sessions she's doing at the moment - maybe that would be an option for you? It's free of charge and I'm sure there will be another on soon.

I wouldn't advise you to use 2 DB's with the same hand. How far are you from the gym? Could you walk? I understand you being a bit intimidated, but I swear to god, after your first session and once you know what you're doing, you won't feel like that at all :)

No I'm living on the South side of Co. Dublin... definitely couldn't walk :)
    Oh right, ok... I just kind of presumed using large weights would give big muscles. Do you have a link for the thread about Introductory lifting Sessions?

The weights screw on and off the bar so two can be put on the one bar at the same time.

Advertisement