Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

98 golf mkIII 1.4 bearing noise - which wheel?

• 27-06-2010 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

In the past week a wheel rotation noise has started in one of my passenger wheels. It starts off fairly quiet but it's unmistakable after an hour.

I'm pretty sure it's coming from the ball bearings because the exact same noise happened twice before and when I got it fixed, the mechanics (both of'em) said it was the bearings.

Is there any way I can be sure which wheel it's coming from?

Separately, my rev counter started to twitch/skip about 4 weeks ago as I accelerated through 1st and 2nd gear, and now it happens in every gear.

Any pointers?

Thanks in advance folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭robdsherlock

as for the speedo is say it could be the vss(vehical speed sensor) in the gearbox, the teeth on it are prob wearing down and slipping which is why the needle fluctuates.

on the wheel bearing, jack up the passanger side wheels and spin them by hand, you will hear a noise from whichever one is on the way out...

sorry miss read the second part of your post, could be an electrical problem with the rev needle, anywhere from the ecu to the needle itself,mechanics job for that id say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

hmmm i think thats the one in your boot, they are common problem in golfs. you should check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 earnesty

Thanks guys. robd; ur advice in spinning the wheels helped a lot - cheers.
    As regards the rev needle I discovered something surprising: about 6weeks ago I got the engine flushed and filled with new oil. There wasn't a leak before this. Last night the oil light in the dash came on so I checked the level: well below the minimum line!
    This made sense as the oil marks on the ground in our communal parking spaces where I live was actually coming from my car! - I assumed it was someone else's cos I had just got it flushed and refilled.
    Anyway after putting 2.5 litres of oil into it, the rev counter stopped twitching at all. So my poor engine was struggling through and the only sign I noticed was the rev counter twitching! (untill the oil light came on)

ShadowHearth; thanks, I presume you meant the rear wheel - which I think it is (I'm bringing it in to mechanic tomorrow)

Much appreciated.

no bother lad, glad ya found the problem!, but ya in my experience the last time used an engine flush i had to rebuild my engine:( lucky enough i was able to do it myself otherwise it would have cost me a fortune!! i didn have a leak but it seized a cam because the stuff in the engine flush had lubrication in it at all, was like water..... needless to say i wont be using that stuff again!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement