Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Tyres for Triathlon?

• 27-06-2010 8:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am currently riding on Continental Gator Skins having changed them last winter from the standard Continental Ultra Sport and being too lazy to change them back despite all the good weather!
    I have completed a number of triathlons now and am looking to improve my bike time. Averaging about 22.5mph over 40km on my current wet weather tyres. Heard somewhere that decent tyres can make a big difference to performanace and can see the logic why.
    Question is - what would you recomend for a light and (important) puncture resistant tyre. Budget I had in mind would be max 50 euro per tyre.
    I'm completing a half iron man in 4 weeks. Road surface is generally very good with a few rough patches.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

EUR50 per tyre will easily cover your requirements.

Conti GP4000s (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=15872) are very popular, one of mine was discarded due to being shredded by a piece of glass, but that would have been the case for most tyres. Other one is still going strong with well over 1,000km.

My other tyre at the mo is the Vittoria Open Corsa Evo-CX (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=31770), a more race-oriented tyre, and possibly a bit less puncture proof, but so far i've had no problems and actually find it a more comfortable tyre.

Others I'd consider would be the Vredestein Fortezza tricomp (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=29130) which should have good puncture-resistance just going by the pressure you can pump them to.

others will swear by the Michelin ProRace 3s, (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=26230) haven't used them myself though I am tempted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭MayoRoadRunner

EUR50 per tyre will easily cover your requirements.

Conti GP4000s (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=15872) are very popular, one of mine was discarded due to being shredded by a piece of glass, but that would have been the case for most tyres. Other one is still going strong with well over 1,000km.

My other tyre at the mo is the Vittoria Open Corsa Evo-CX (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=31770), a more race-oriented tyre, and possibly a bit less puncture proof, but so far i've had no problems and actually find it a more comfortable tyre.

Others I'd consider would be the Vredestein Fortezza tricomp (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=29130) which should have good puncture-resistance just going by the pressure you can pump them to.

others will swear by the Michelin ProRace 3s, (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=26230) haven't used them myself though I am tempted.

Cheers tawfeeredux thats very helpfull. Will check out the Vittoria Open Corsa Evo-CX and the Vredestein Fortezza. Heard that some of the major brands (i.e Conti and Michelin) might not be the best and your generally paying a premium for the brand and not neccessarily the quality. Any preference over the Vittoria and the Vredestein?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

Heard that some of the major brands (i.e Conti and Michelin) might not be the best and your generally paying a premium for the brand and not neccessarily the quality. Any preference over the Vittoria and the Vredestein?

When it comes to tyres, my personal view is that buying cheaper tyres is a false economy. Buy the better known brands, they're better known because more people buy them, more people buy them because they produce good products.

Can't give a preference between the Vittoria & Vredestein cos i've only tried the Vittorias yet. I'd like to try them & the Open Pros just to satisfy my own curiosity as to whether or not they're better than the Open Corsa or GP4000s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Cheers tawfeeredux thats very helpfull. Will check out the Vittoria Open Corsa Evo-CX and the Vredestein Fortezza. Heard that some of the major brands (i.e Conti and Michelin) might not be the best and your generally paying a premium for the brand and not neccessarily the quality. Any preference over the Vittoria and the Vredestein?

The fastest clinchers are from the "major" brands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

Veloflex Master clinchers (20 mm) are the best I've found for rolling resistance and weight. No issues with punctures above and beyoind what you expect from the Conti's and Michelins. Probikekit and Parker International stock them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭MayoRoadRunner

100Suns wrote: »
    Veloflex Master clinchers (20 mm) are the best I've found for rolling resistance and weight. No issues with punctures above and beyoind what you expect from the Conti's and Michelins. Probikekit and Parker International stock them.

Thanks for advise Tunney and 100Suns, am looking at the Conti GP Triathlon Tyre at the moment but hav'nt quite made my mind up. Thanks for advise again and cheers for heads up on Parker Int site as never visited it before! Prices great but shame about the P&P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Thanks for advise Tunney and 100Suns, am looking at the Conti GP Triathlon Tyre at the moment but hav'nt quite made my mind up. Thanks for advise again and cheers for heads up on Parker Int site as never visited it before! Prices great but shame about the P&P

I'm in need of a new back type. Currently have a schwalbe stelvio, happy with them but they out of stock.

Anybody use the schwalbe durano s or schwalbe ultemo R ? Feedback on them ?

Tx Paul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Comm2

Best clinchers i've come across are by far the Vittoria Open Corsa CX and the Veloflex Black, both last years models. haven't tried the 2010 versions yet but reports suggest they've only improved.

What i've noticed a massive with is when using latex tubes. best value upgrade you can make to a bike IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

recently swapped out the schwalbe stelvio's for the schwalbe ultremo R's. Only used them once so cant really tell you how durable they will be or how puncture resistant they are but they are certainly faster then the stelvio's and a good bit lighter.

I'm in need of a new back type. Currently have a schwalbe stelvio, happy with them but they out of stock.

Anybody use the schwalbe durano s or schwalbe ultemo R ? Feedback on them ?

Tx Paul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Comm2 wrote: »
    What i've noticed a massive with is when using latex tubes. best value upgrade you can make to a bike IMO.

What sort of "massive" are you talking about?

Latex tubes save 1.3W at 40kph according to something I read.

edit: here's a link with CRR data

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Would people here recommend folding or wire tyres?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

I've heard from a few lads that the Vitt CX are a bit slippy in the wet, what are the Veloflex like in those conditions ?

Comm2 wrote: »
    Best clinchers i've come across are by far the Vittoria Open Corsa CX and the Veloflex Black, both last years models..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

I used vitoria open corsa evos for IM france, had been using GP4000 only differnce i noticed was the corsa feel softer to touch to i guess a bit more grip, vey hard to say if there was a difference at all

Advertisement