Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student visa

Options
  • 27-06-2010 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I was wondering has anyone used a student visa as a means of getting back to australia, i was considering doing a cheap uni course, has anyone on here tried this

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Have you already found a cheap uni course you can do? From what I know coming to Aus/NZ to study is very very expensive as you have to pay international student fees and they are very prohibitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Watna is right its not a cheap option to return

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Some are very cheap, know lads doing one for 500 a semester, night course. Shop around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Some are very cheap, know lads doing one for 500 a semester, night course. Shop around.

Come on Damo. Do you have a link to that course?

Because that could just be the one the OP is looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bubbles86

a link to this course would be ideal damo,have'nt found any as cheap as that,the course needs to be in melbourne,cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Yeah I would like to in see a link for that too, $500 to legally stay in Australia and legally work 20 hours a week.

I'm sure a lot of people would find that useful, I read somewhere that adult course fees for student visa was something like $12K per year plus heath insurance on top.

Dont know the lads well but I do know of doing mickey mouse nightcourses cheap as chips. Ill see if I can hear what exactly but there are certainly some very cheap ones out there. Had a mate who did accountancy which financially killed him, but there are some easier ones money wise out there. Try Aussie education forums etc. Ill see what I can hear.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Well I know of a 4 week english language course is $1400 but I dont think this is a course that will grant you a student visa. Think you have to take a course that lasts over a longer period of time. That equals more money.
    Id say you are talking a few grand at least. $500 is a load of bull$hit That would barely pay for your insurance never mind the actual course!

Have to agree about the BS, if it was the case then paddies would be doing a photography course at night TAFE to get them a student visa.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Yeah I would like to in see a link for that too, $500 to legally stay in Australia and legally work 20 hours a week.

Per semester, not per year.

Anyway, chatted to my mate, he hasnt seen them in a while but it was some type of martial arts type fitness course or something. Complete mickey mouse but cheap as hell. Id another mate who talked about doing a reasonably cheap welding course (he just became illegal in the end, but the course wasnt too pricey comparatively speaking, and if you become a qualified welder it pays for itself in no time)
    Have to agree about the BS, if it was the case then paddies would be doing a photography course at night TAFE to get them a student visa.

There are bull courses here, much like the crap FAS ones people back home have clung onto the dole in the good times doing for years.

Dont know how people think it smells of BS tbh. These courses have to exist as Australia needs its Indians, Chinese etc to drive the cabs and stack the shelves in Woolies, but for political reasons doesnt want to hand out work permits and call them such in order to pacify the often xenophobic electorate. Do you think the Indian lad serving you in McDonalds is from a family who are fronting him 10K to study here? As if these people would work in mackers. And as if anyone can survive on 20 hours per week in a minimum wage job- Australia is cheap, but not THAT cheap. They made alot of noise not too long ago about clamping down on useless courses people were using as a backdoor to enter permanently, but the government knows what side its bread is buttered on.

Having said that, I dont know whether the gov will let you in to do a nonsense course, or grant you a visa for it only if already in the country on a work visa. From what I remember the student visa is nearly like your college sponsoring you.

edit- http://www.studiesinaustralia.com/study_costs

As low as 5k per year is a ballpark figure given, and Im sure the 3 nights a week nightcourses must be even cheaper. All of the above seems to relate to government colleges (TAFES etc) so there are probably some private cowboys going much cheaper.

• Advertisement

These courses have to exist as Australia needs its Indians, Chinese etc to drive the cabs and stack the shelves in Woolies, but for political reasons doesnt want to hand out work permits and call them such in order to pacify the often xenophobic electorate. Do you think the Indian lad serving you in McDonalds is from a family who are fronting him 10K to study here? As if these people would work in mackers. And as if anyone can survive on 20 hours per week in a minimum wage job.

You would be surprised how many of those Indians are actually PR, they have the qualifications to get them into the country but their lack of good spoken English often restricts them at the beginning. Driving taxis and working in the servo often is the only work they can get and helps them improve their english.

Do you think the Indian lad serving you in McDonalds is from a family who are fronting him 10K to study here? As if these people would work in mackers. And as if anyone can survive on 20 hours per week in a minimum wage job- Australia is cheap, but not THAT cheap. They made alot of noise not too long ago about clamping down on useless courses people were using as a backdoor to enter permanently, but the government knows what side its bread is buttered on.

Hey Lamo do you still think its not BS? Obviously their families (or themselves) are fronting these students...not $10K but $18K per Year... no proof no visa.

http://www.immi.gov.au/students/_pdf/student-living-costs.pdf

Hey Lamo do you still think its not BS? Obviously their families (or themselves) are fronting these students...not $10K but $18K per Year... no proof no visa.

http://www.immi.gov.au/students/_pdf/student-living-costs.pdf

Like the way you arent meant to be allowed in on a WHV unless you have 3000 dollars and can prove it with a statement? FFS like, i think you are forgetting this is Australia, not Germany. Efficiency isnt exactly their strong point.

How many of the increasing amt of Irish lads on student visas do you reckon have 18k? As said, maybe if you arrive from abroad on a student visa, but certainly not if you are already in the country when you apply for one. I know two people well on (expensive) courses, and know of other lads on cheap nonsense ones.

Like the way you arent meant to be allowed in on a WHV unless you have 3000 dollars and can prove it with a statement? FFS like, i think you are forgetting this is Australia, not Germany. Efficiency isnt exactly their strong point.

How many of the increasing amt of Irish lads on student visas do you reckon have 18k? As said, maybe if you arrive from abroad on a student visa, but certainly not if you are already in the country when you apply for one. I know two people well on (expensive) courses, and know of other lads on cheap nonsense ones.

Yeah right.... I forgot none of the rules apply to you or your friends.

Do tell of these courses as I know a lot of students and live with a course director and he will tell you that education is really expensive for non Australians. Again I think you are full of $hit here unless you can prove me wrong.

A course for $500 so that you can get a student visa and work 20 hour weeks in a seven eleven to support yourself! Sounds like a fab time alright!:rolleyes:

jank wrote: »
    Do tell of these courses as I know a lot of students and live with a course director and he will tell you that education is really expensive for non Australians. Again I think you are full of $hit here unless you can prove me wrong.

A course for $500 so that you can get a student visa and work 20 hour weeks in a seven eleven to support yourself! Sounds like a fab time alright!:rolleyes:

Have to agree with you Jank I think he is full of it, if it was as easy as $500 per semester every C**t and his dog would be doing it.

The reference to martial arts type fitness course is what made me laugh.

Apologies, I was wrong on the price, its actually around 400 per month, not term. It averages out to around 5 grand per year for nightcourses a few times weekly. Its probably the cheapest out there though shop around, there may be even cheaper. Considering the cost of living here if you can flout the 20 hour week rule it is certainly liveable and worth it to stay in Australia (keeping you out of the pub for a few nights a week, it pays for itself really :) )

Can PM the details to the OP if they want.
    The reference to martial arts type fitness course is what made me laugh

Why? Thats what it is. Complete mickey mouse, all tolerated so Australia can keep its foreign students without the political hot potato of handing out work permits.

[QUOTE Yeah right.... I forgot none of the rules apply to you or your friends [/quote]

Oh come on, how many people do you know whos statement got checked? Ive known lads who arrived here with the money that was in their pockets and no more.

Apologies, I was wrong on the price, its actually around 400 per month, not term. It averages out to around 5 grand per year for nightcourses a few times weekly. Its probably the cheapest out there though shop around, there may be even cheaper. Considering the cost of living here if you can flout the 20 hour week rule it is certainly liveable and worth it to stay in Australia (keeping you out of the pub for a few nights a week, it pays for itself really :) )

Sure..!!

Why? Thats what it is. Complete mickey mouse, all tolerated so Australia can keep its foreign students without the political hot potato of handing out work permits.

We are talking about Australia here??? Since when did Australia issue work permits? I thought they only issued visa's.

Cant see why it a political hot potato, Student applies for visa ...DIAC checks student is legit and has the money to pay for the education... Visa is issued.

What's political about that? and why does it matter which country they come from?

Sure..!!

So you doubt I know of these students, and dont believe I went to the office of the crowd offering this (happened to run into it by chance tbh)

Meh, fair enough, couldnt really give a sh1te.

Cant see why it a political hot potato, Student applies for visa ...DIAC checks student is legit and has the money to pay for the education... Visa is issued.

What's political about that? and why does it matter which country they come from?

Oh holy christ. :pac:

Its Australia. They dont have much time for slanty eyed folks and Indian accents, to put it bluntly but honestly. Handing out work visas would be political suicide, and already the opposition has been probing exactly how many of the mainly Asian students are more intent on a backdoor to residency than actual study. The WHV scheme is largely unoticed as, apart from the Irish, Koreans and Chileans, virtually every nationality that gets the visa goes home in even under a year. Its only the Irish, S Americans and Koreans who seem to extend it, go student visa, go illegal etc etc etc.

jank wrote: »

A course for $500 so that you can get a student visa and work 20 hour weeks in a seven eleven to support yourself! Sounds like a fab time alright!

Who in the name of jesus on these visas actually only works 20 hours? I doubt the government even remotely expects them to respect this rule. It just looks good to the voters to stop them thinking they are stealing Aussie jobs.

So you doubt I know of these students, and dont believe I went to the office of the crowd offering this (happened to run into it by chance tbh)

Meh, fair enough, couldnt really give a sh1te.

Oh holy christ. :pac:

Its Australia. They dont have much time for slanty eyed folks and Indian accents, to put it bluntly but honestly. Handing out work visas would be political suicide, and already the opposition has been probing exactly how many of the mainly Asian students are more intent on a backdoor to residency than actual study. The WHV scheme is largely unoticed as, apart from the Irish, Koreans and Chileans, virtually every nationality that gets the visa goes home in even under a year. Its only the Irish, S Americans and Koreans who seem to extend it, go student visa, go illegal etc etc etc.

Who in the name of jesus on these visas actually only works 20 hours? I doubt the government even remotely expects them to respect this rule. It just looks good to the voters to stop them thinking they are stealing Aussie jobs.

Lamo Damo I reckon you are just making all this crap up, martial arts student visas, work Permits, hot potatoes, Koreans, Indians and now Chileans.

Next you will be telling us Jacki Chan is running for education minister in the up coming election.

I have never heard such waffle since JONJO THE MISER got the shoe.

Not to mention you always going on about how easy it is to bend the rules, bagging Australia and Australians, going on about your friends glassing people and applying for WHV without declaring criminal records.

Really I reckon you are the type of Irish abroad that Stinicker was talking about in these posts How's life in NZ/Aus? thread
    Its Australia. They dont have much time for slanty eyed folks

Really you could have contributed something positive for a change, but after the above statement I reckon we have you pretty much sussed out...

Have you been to any McDonalds around St. Kilda recently?

• Advertisement

Lamo Damo I reckon you are just making all this crap up, martial arts student visas, work Permits, hot potatoes, Koreans, Indians and now Chileans.

What? Excuse me if I am more in touch with the reality in this country than you are.
    I have never heard such waffle since JONJO THE MISER got the shoe.

He was hilarious, but full of sh1te.
    Not to mention you always going on about how easy it is to bend the rules,

It is. FFS the violation of the 20 hour work week is at best tacitly condoned by the government, otherwise there would be a major shortage of staff in many sectors.
    going on about your friends glassing people

When in the **** did I say that? I used the hypothetical example that some knacker who glassed someone would be eligible for PR if they served under a year in prison, and that was a prety disgraceful situation. Just because you have been proven wrong on....eh....everything in this thread bar the price of the course I mentioned doesnt mean we have to go around making up stories.
    Really I reckon you are the type of Irish abroad that Stinicker was talking about in these posts How's life in NZ/Aus? thread

Being clued into reality makes you a knacker? Keep digging.
    Really you could have contributed something positive for a change, but after the above statement I reckon we have you pretty much sussed out...

I did contribute something positive. Information, if requested by PM, on a reasonably priced student course. Exactly what positive piece of information have you contributed?

EDIT- Checked the other thread

Try to avoid hanging about with people who frequent Plastic Paddy pubs, get out yourself and find places that are bit more main stream. Avoid the Bondi trap and places like the Tea gardens... I acknowledge I do go to these places once in a blue moon but their usual clientèle reminds me why I don't go there often.

Self hating Irish. More embarassing than a load of off the boaters in kiss me Im Irish hats. The way some people talk you would think the Irish were the only ethnicity over here who have bars and social clubs aimed at people from the respective home turf. Chinese karaoke bars, East European RSL type joints out west, fcuk, there was even a Lebanese hash cafe in Bondi for a brief period in the 80s. Grow up ffs. Just because you believed every course was 10 grand plus and were proven wrong its no reason to come barging in with made up stories about me or people I know glassing people and fighting in mackers :)

Haviong said that the Tea Gardens is an awful dump, but more because its a typical Aussie bar (souless decor, schooners not pints, relatively little live music) than the fact it is full of Irish (again saying that the TG seems to attract a more knackery breed than the rest)

What? Excuse me if I am more in touch with the reality in this country than you are.

You're not in touch with anything, I challenge you to show 1 positive contribution you have made on these threads. Nearly everything you say is negative and yet more negative... you are bringing up all this crap that for political reasons this and that, that Australia is disorganized etc etc. You are always bagging Aussies for this that and the other. You never say anything positive about any other race or people... it always negative.

My GF says people like you are not welcome in her country... if you don't like the place then just FO

He was hilarious, but full of sh1te.

Well it funny how once he stopped posting crap... you started.
    It is. FFS the violation of the 20 hour work week is at best tacitly condoned by the government, otherwise there would be a major shortage of staff in many sectors.

Catch a grip of yourself....

Do you mean to say that DIAC tell the whole nation that students are only allowed 20 hours... yet they give a nod & a wink to the students themselves to work more than 20 hours?

Your the one who started at $500 per semester and once everyone starting going on that its must cost more than that... it suddenly shot up to $5000 that was funny.

All I did was say that I think you are full of crap... and posted this link http://www.immi.gov.au/students/_pdf/student-living-costs.pdf

You hardly proved me wrong.. you still never posted any details of any websites for these courses where it says pay $5000 and you qualify for a student visa (oh and you can work more than 20 hours if you want... Australian government condones it)

You could have at least give us details of the
    office of the crowd offering this (happened to run into it by chance tbh)

So where does this office exist? we all want to know!

When in the **** did I say that? I used the hypothetical example that some knacker who glassed someone would be eligible for PR if they served under a year in prison, and that was a prety disgraceful situation. Just because you have been proven wrong on....eh....everything in this thread bar the price of the course I mentioned doesnt mean we have to go around m

You were the one who brought it up here and here and finaly More negativity about Australia

Like really have you read what you have posted? Anyone reading this would think that it's ok to come to Australia and do what you ever you want. You keep posting crap like this more rubbish except its in the rules for 417 eligibility it states:

Financial requirements

You must have access to sufficient funds to support yourself for the initial stage of your holiday. Generally, AUD$5000 may be regarded as sufficient, but the amount may vary depending on your length of stay and the extent of your travel. You should also have a return or onward ticket or the funds for a fare to depart Australia.

You may be asked to provide evidence. Evidence may include a certified copy of a bank statement and an air ticket out of Australia.

What are you saying that the website is wrong and you are right? It does not matter if you don't know anyone who got asked for a bank statement.. The rules on the website state you need $5000...you cant just post that you don't the rules are the rules ....most people do the right thing but you just like to hear yourself talking.

Self hating Irish. More embarassing than a load of off the boaters in kiss me Im Irish hats. The way some people talk you would think the Irish were the only ethnicity over here who have bars and social clubs aimed at people from the respective home turf. Chinese karaoke bars, East European RSL type joints out west, fcuk, there was even a Lebanese hash cafe in Bondi for a brief period in the 80s. Grow up ffs. Just because you believed every course was 10 grand plus and were proven wrong its no reason to come barging in with made up stories about me or people I know glassing people and fighting in mackers :)

Haviong said that the Tea Gardens is an awful dump, but more because its a typical Aussie bar (souless decor, schooners not pints, relatively little live music) than the fact it is full of Irish (again saying that the TG seems to attract a more knackery breed than the rest)

Look I am not getting stuck into you for no reason... Some of the stuff you are posting is wrong, misleading and just pure crap. I am just taking a stand and pulling you up about it. I wouldn't call it self-hating Irish... but I am telling it how it is. There are plenty of Irish people who through their opinions and behavior I am embarrassed that they are Irish... I am not attacking you over it.... I am just reminding you nicely that you belong to that group.

I showed my Girlfriend your posts last night..
    Not unless they check. Which they almost certainly wont. I know a few illegal lads who have been arrested here for public order or drugs whilst illegal, let go and are still here. Ive known of several people who served prison time in Ireland, England and France who got their WHV. Ive been here over a year and have never heard of anyones mate from home being denied their first year one.

Remember, its Australia FFS, chronic disorganisation is part of the culture.
    So while the DIAC are trying to pull in paddys at the airport who told a fib about their farmwork if they leave and return to Australia, they would be happy to let in a skilled worker who had just served, say, 5 of a 9 month sentence for glassing someone in a pub back home after, according to the criteria, having maybe 5 previous charges ending in suspended sentences etc etc? Because only getting locked up several times makes you a substantial criminal?

This country really does defy belief sometimes when it comes to organising things.
    I reckon that was filmed around Christmas/ New Year. The DIAC like to put out the story that they are scrutinising every single Irish applicant and pulling in everyone at the airport. Fact is, they cant keep this up. They havent got the manpower. Its a scare tactic.

Of course they are disorganised. This is AUSTRALIA ffs. As said I have never once heard of a first time applicant being refused, and have known several lads who served time in Europe and the US. I did see one episode of Border Security where a yank lad with his Aussie missus was interrogated for hours because of his conviction for manslaughter in a bar brawl.

How did they find out? The stupid fcuker admitted on his application before coming that he had served jail time.

They still let him in and all. :pac: Fackin heaps good!

Its Australia. They dont have much time for slanty eyed folks and Indian accents, to put it bluntly but honestly. Handing out work visas would be political suicide, and already the opposition has been probing exactly how many of the mainly Asian students are more intent on a backdoor to residency than actual study. .

and she told me after reading them.... You are not welcome in her country anymore!!!

She has no other problem with any other poster on here but took offense to your comments... really no point in arguing with that.

Talk about giving the Irish a bad name....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

Ha - how did I miss this thread? Classic...

Can't help it but
    You are not welcome in her country anymore!!!
    flashed visions of Romper Stomper to me :o -
    This is not your country so...

who knew student visas were such a hotbed of controversy?

Yeah I know but someone needs to draw the line somewhere.

Glad I did it tho ...

I am not an Aussie but my Girlfriend is ......and people like Damo shame the rest of us.

It's trivial I know... but people like that have to learn.

Yea father Damo is a it of a Lamo with his negative comments.
    He should just post up a link to that place where one can get a course for $500 and the thread is ended.......:p

and she told me after reading them.... You are not welcome in her country anymore!!!

She has no other problem with any other poster on here but took offense to your comments... really no point in arguing with that.

Talk about giving the Irish a bad name....

A bad name how exactly? By reading between the lines when it comes to the governments motives behind the student visa programme?

So far you have counter claimed that Australia is often disorganised and often chronically racist (FFS one of the biggest election issues will be the boat people, even though a proportionately tiny amount have even made it as far as Aussie waters). Im not sure whether you should be a comedian or a politicans speech writer. Being honest I couldnt give a flying sh1t if some D4s abroad look down on the rest of their brethern here. Im just glad I dont have to associate with them .

I have already apologised for the 500 figure, as it was somewhat less than this per month, not semester (it can be paid in installments). For obvious reasons i.e. too many people finding out/ enrolling in this and potentially putting me out a place I offered the info only to the OP if they PMd. If this topic intrigues you so much do your own research, I wouldnt be surprised if you found something even cheaper. After all, its private colleges, businesses (especially in Australia, unlike Ireland) like to undercut to get more clients.

Mate don't you get it!!!

You have outstayed your welcome.

Mate don't you get it!!!

You have outstayed your welcome.

This is beyond hilarious. Final word, OP wants his info, send PM. Arguing with someone I never met who is for some bizarre reason hurt he isnt good at bargain hunting is cringeworthy.

• Advertisement

To be honest this has been a great debate, if you post more rubbish in the future... we will be all over you.

Advertisement