Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

confirmation letter

Options
  • 27-06-2010 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭

I got my confirmation that application for my rifle was recieved on friday i handed application in to the local station 7wks ago,my old permit runs out on june 30th,the letter said it could be september this year before i find out if its granted or not.Is this just a standard letter or does it mean my application didnt go from local station to the supers station 20miles away until 7weeks after i handed it in!!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

bazza888 wrote: »
    I got my confirmation that application for my rifle was recieved on friday i handed application in to the local station 7wks ago,my old permit runs out on june 30th,the letter said it could be september this year before i find out if its granted or not.Is this just a standard letter or does it mean my application didnt go from local station to the supers station 20miles away until 7weeks after i handed it in!!?

It means they have it in the system so don't worry about it, some stations seem to get these out quickly, others more slowly and others not all!! I have seen it posted here by others that once you application is in the system you are ok untill the 3 months are up!!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Have you paid you fee yet?
    If I am reading your post correctly you are in part of the process.

You have applied and they have received so they are not concerned with you.

They are more concerned in the folk who have not applied yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

if by the 30th i dont have the new license whats the story then?

if by the 30th i dont have the new license whats the story then?

Say nothing until you hear more.

Tax in post scenario :D

it doesnt say anything about fees or if iv been granted the new license or not,just that it may be september before i hear back from them

• Advertisement

it doesnt say anything about fees or if iv been granted the new license or not,just that it may be september before i hear back from them

Have you had the firearms long?

Do the local lads know you?

If they do I would not worry, I might give them a buzz though and explain your concerns, they might speed it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭sikastag

September it is then. Hopefully it will be earlier. Just hold on to that letter and your old cert (Copies even) in case an event arose where you may be asked to produce your licence.

he said not worry about it when i asked,but same lad said last year if it up too him licenses would be 300e each or even better banned!id say everything be ok!was just annoyed thinking it took 7wks go 20miles

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

From my experience (but not always the case) most people seem to be getting their grant letters soon/shortly after getting their receipt/confirmation letters. Keep an eye on the post over the next week or so.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

cool fingers crossed so!!might try get ashotgun next!

• Advertisement

And why the hell not? :D

Let us know how you get on.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

will do mind at ease now!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

I don't think there is an official response to your worry but there was an official garda statement that said" people have till the 30th of this month to lodge new application for existing guns in their possession"
    They also said "that failure to do so could result in a person finding them self in possession of an unlicenced firearm-- a very serious matter!"

From the run of it, it seems that once you're in the new system you're OK but miss the application deadline and risk being treated like a common criminal:mad:

Make sure you hold on to that confirmation letter like your life depended on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

The Grant letters usually come out fairly quickly after the confirmation letter, your in the system so I wouldn't worry about it. Make sure you have enough ammo to cover your needs before the licence expires just in case of a delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Sam I Am

Anyone any thoughts of where I stand with no letter to say they have received my application.
    I applied 8 weeks ago.
    Garda wouldn't give me a receipt or anything at the time.
    So I have no proof that I applied at all.

It's probably still sitting in the cardboard box it was tossed in at the time :(

I'm afraid to travel with my rifle to shoot. Cos I travel well outside my local district to get to a range.

I got the grant letter today!Paid in the post office for license, so should have it soon!now all im hoping for is the magic little s in the corner!!

I got the grant letter today!!!

Nice one. You should have it by Thursday or Friday. An Post seem to be on the ball and send them out quickly.

cool,thanks just hoping for that magic s now!fingers crossed

I got the license today,with the s in the corner alls good,then bam!turn it over says im only allowed have 100rds in my possesion at one time!Would there be any chance getting that changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Hi bazza888, how many rounds did you apply for?
    BTW What calibre and "good reason" did you apply for?

When I got back my .22 licence the first time for the CZ, it only had 200 rounds allowed for on the cert - I'd applied for 2000 (target shooting, purchased in 500 at a time, I'd get through 200 on a slow-day, etc, etc, blah, blah).

When I spotted the 200 rounds on the licence, I got straight back on the phone to the F/O and explained that 200 rounds was way too few and I couldn't possibly being doing with such a limited amount of ammo:D;).

Anyway, he kindly went off having listened to my explanation, checked with the Super, and I was issued a letter from the supers office confirming that there was a "typographical" error in "my application" and that I was in fact now authorised to have 1000 rounds (OK, it's not the 2000 I applied for - but 1000 is a hell of a lot better than the 200 initially approved - Oh and it was my first FAC application so the F/O may have been initially wary of my intentions;):o). I now carry this letter with my licence, so that should all be OK (at least until renewal time in 3 years or so).

If it's a "typo", ask your F/O, nicely, for such a letter - If it's not a typo, and the FO / Super are wary of granting you more than 100 rounds, then politely explain why you realistically and honestly do need more than 100 rounds and point them in the direction of Page 27 of the Glorious Guidelines:
    - Farmer (one shotgun for vermin/pest control) – 100 rounds.
    - Deer Gun – 200 to 260 rounds.
    - Shotgun for clay pigeon, pheasant/pigeon/woodcock – 500 to 750 rounds.
    - Target Shooter (member of authorised club) – 750 to 1,000 rounds.

If you require more than the number suggested in the Guidelines, make your case and put a strong case forward to them. I've just been approved for 5000 rounds of .22lr - but only after a long and protracted explanation of batch testing for target rifles, etc. etc. and some back-up help / documentation from one of our fellow posters / NI RFD on here (Thanks Intershoot BTW)!;):D

As I said, if it's a typo, a genuine mistake, or a misunderstanding of your requirements/the Guidelines, a friendly chat with the F/O and a letter from the Super should sort you out.

Hope that's of some help - and you get sorted out.

• Advertisement

I applied for hunting vermin control,iasked for 500rounds as last 6times id went get ammo had get different brand and rezero due to this as shops wouldnt have enough or be out of what i wanted.my old license has 200rds allowed on it.

Well, that seems odd indeed - Strange that they'd drop your allowance from 200 down to 100.

I'd get on the blower to your F/O and have a chat.

It would appear that he's been looking at this bit of the Guidelines, I'd say:
    Farmer (one shotgun for vermin/pest control) – 100 rounds

Point out that particular "guideline" is for a shotgun and not a rifle. Maybe explain that ammo is sold, generally speaking, in an absolute minimum of 50 rounds, but often in boxes of 500 (e.g. SK or similar), and that you'd need to be safely zero'd for your rounds and not to be changing batches / brands every 100 rounds.

Plus, if you're controlling rabbits, crows, rats, etc around the farm, 50 - 100 rounds used a day would not be unreasonable and therefore 100 rounds wouldn't get you through a long weekend and you'd be driving back and forth up to the gun shop.

If your F/O a reasonable man (as many of them are), I'm sure he'll see the sense in what you're saying. Worst case - ask to why your allowance was reduced down from 200 and ask if you can, at least, have this previous allowance "re-instated".

yeah its worth a try anyway!!

Best of luck - And keep us posted!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

dCorbus wrote: »
    Point out that particular "guideline" is for a shotgun and not a rifle.
    Yeah, it has seemed (to me at least) that when the local Gardai are looking at the ammo limits requested by airgun or smallbore shooters, that they don't make the mental switchover in their heads from shotgun shells to rifle rounds or pellets. I've been issued with a 100-pellet limit on my air rifle licence in the past, for example, instead of the 10,000 pellet limit I asked for (so that I could buy batch tested pellets by the sleeve). If they're thinking shotgun, it's understandable - 10,000 shotgun shells and you're talking about pallets or crates to pack them; whereas 10,000 pellets and you're talking about two boxes, each the size of a tube of pringles (if a tad heavier :D ).

(BTW, for fun, show an olympic medal winner an air rifle licence with a 100-pellet limit sometime. The facial expressions are comedy gold).

100 pellets? Sure, that's all you'd need!;)
    What would you want 10,000 for - You building up an arsenal or something?
    Good god, man - 10,000 rounds - Think of the Children! Please!:eek:

:rolleyes::D

dCorbus wrote: »
    Hi bazza888, how many rounds did you apply for?
    BTW What calibre and "good reason" did you apply for?

When I got back my .22 licence the first time for the CZ, it only had 200 rounds allowed for on the cert - I'd applied for 2000 (target shooting, purchased in 500 at a time, I'd get through 200 on a slow-day, etc, etc, blah, blah).

When I spotted the 200 rounds on the licence, I got straight back on the phone to the F/O and explained that 200 rounds was way too few and I couldn't possibly being doing with such a limited amount of ammo:D;).

Anyway, he kindly went off having listened to my explanation, checked with the Super, and I was issued a letter from the supers office confirming that there was a "typographical" error in "my application" and that I was in fact now authorised to have 1000 rounds (OK, it's not the 2000 I applied for - but 1000 is a hell of a lot better than the 200 initially approved - Oh and it was my first FAC application so the F/O may have been initially wary of my intentions;):o). I now carry this letter with my licence, so that should all be OK (at least until renewal time in 3 years or so).

If it's a "typo", ask your F/O, nicely, for such a letter - If it's not a typo, and the FO / Super are wary of granting you more than 100 rounds, then politely explain why you realistically and honestly do need more than 100 rounds and point them in the direction of Page 27 of the Glorious Guidelines:

If you require more than the number suggested in the Guidelines, make your case and put a strong case forward to them. I've just been approved for 5000 rounds of .22lr - but only after a long and protracted explanation of batch testing for target rifles, etc. etc. and some back-up help / documentation from one of our fellow posters / NI RFD on here (Thanks Intershoot BTW)!;):D

As I said, if it's a typo, a genuine mistake, or a misunderstanding of your requirements/the Guidelines, a friendly chat with the F/O and a letter from the Super should sort you out.

Hope that's of some help - and you get sorted out.

i wonder could he do the same with my Moderator! :D

It was too late by the time I got down home this eve to check.

I'll go in tomorrow.
    getting my Mod on tonight ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Its a real mess ok, I got my letter saying that they recieved the application the same time as I got the grant letter:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭bmcm71

I sent in a request to substitute one shotgun for another about 6 weeks ago. After being bounced from one station to the other (don't ask) I eventually got my request on the system. Last week I received the standard letter also giving them until september to approve my license. Just as if it was a new application. I'm wondering if this is standard or am I going to be hit for another 80 yoyo's to get the substitution license issued???

• Advertisement

bmcm71 wrote: »
    .......... Last week I received the standard letter also giving them until september to approve my license. ............. I'm wondering if this is standard or am I going to be hit for another 80 yoyo's to get the substitution license issued???

All substitutions come with the standard receipt letter prior to the actual license. Its just the way it goes. You should recieve the actual license within the week or so and it is the license not a grant letter.

Anything other than the license, as in if you get a grant letter, then i would go back to your FO and have them recheck the FCA1 as it has been processed as a new application rather than a subtitution.

Advertisement