Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netherlands v Slovakia, Last 16, 28th June @ 3 pm

• 27-06-2010 11:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭

holland-flag.jpgslovakia-flag1.png

Netherlands -v- Slovakia

Last 16
    Durban
    Monday 28th June 2010
    3.00 pm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Holland quite handily, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nipps

baz2009 wrote: »
    Holland quite handily, imo.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Slovakia. 2-1. You heard it here first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Worst thing Holland could do is underestimate a team who are feeling high, and really have no pressure on them anymore, because of having already acheived the unthinkable!

This is what I fear tomorrow, but I want the Dutch to win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Worst thing Holland could do is underestimate a team who are feeling high, and really have no pressure on them anymore, because of having already acheived the unthinkable!

Thats a really good point actually. Lets hope they don't make that mistake and that another bad decision doesn't ruin a good game of ball.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

They won't "underestimate" a team at this stage of the competition. Especially not a team like Slovakia. Slovakia won their qualifying group ahead of Slovenia, and I think Poland, Czech Republic, a number of very good teams. Slovakia deserved to qualify ahead of Italy. I hope Holland wins but we'll see.

Underestimate in that they're thinking they're not as good as Brazil when they might be more effective on the day than Brazil? Perhaps. Underestimate to the point of slacking off a bit and thinking they will get through anyway? Not a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

History has learned me to fear todays game more than (if they make it) the game that might come friday against Brazil.

Van der Vaart might not play which i think is not a disaster. Him and Sneijder in one midfield doesnt work in my opinion.
    I rather see a real winger on the left (Elia) than Van der Vaart whose best position is where now Sneijder plays.
    And although Sneijder might be a slightly better player than Van Der Vaart, i think VdVaart and Van Persie are a better combo than Sneijder and Van Persie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭mathie

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Slovakia. 2-1. You heard it here first.

...and last.
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Tight boring game but ultimately an easy win for Slovakia, who I think will make it all the way to the finals if they beat Holland today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

Nehaxak wrote: »
    Tight boring game but ultimately an easy win for Slovakia, who I think will make it all the way to the finals if they beat Holland today.

Are you for real?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Cant see anything but a comfortable Dutch win here.

Slovakia have been a big disappointment to be honest.

Draw with New Zealand, defeat to Paraguay and a win over a hopeless Italian side.

I await the Holland -v- Brazil quarter final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I dont particularly rate Holland that highly but they should beat Slovakia fairly comfortably. Slovakia look a very average side. What this WC, as well as the rest of the WC's, have shown us is the European's struggle big-time outside of Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

2-0 holland.

Hopefully a clean sheet anyway. Have there keeper on my fantasy team..

Warper wrote: »
    I dont particularly rate Holland that highly but they should beat Slovakia fairly comfortably. Slovakia look a very average side. What this WC, as well as the rest of the WC's, have shown us is the European's struggle big-time outside of Europe.

I think now that the group stage is over we will see very few shocks as opposed to the group.

None of the four knockout games thus far have provided a shock winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

redout wrote: »
    I think now that the group stage is over we will see very few shocks as opposed to the group.

None of the four knockout games thus far have provided a shock winner.

Ya as of now the better teams are starting to show their superiority. The first half of the draw has Brazil written all over it but the other side is wide open with very little separating Argentina/Germany/Portugal and Spain. Argie-Germany is down for 3.00 pm Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

They won't "underestimate" a team at this stage of the competition. Especially not a team like Slovakia. Slovakia won their qualifying group ahead of Slovenia, and I think Poland, Czech Republic, a number of very good teams. Slovakia deserved to qualify ahead of Italy. I hope Holland wins but we'll see.

Underestimate in that they're thinking they're not as good as Brazil when they might be more effective on the day than Brazil? Perhaps. Underestimate to the point of slacking off a bit and thinking they will get through anyway? Not a chance.

You have to know the history of Holland in World Cups though, to be at least wary of this happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

redout wrote: »

Slovakia have been a big disappointment to be honest.

I wouldnt say that. England, germany, france, and italy have been disappointments. Slovakia have been, for me anyway, a pleasant surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

syklops wrote: »
    I wouldnt say that. England, germany, france, and italy have been disappointments. Slovakia have been, for me anyway, a pleasant surprise.

Just No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

While Holland will probably win, I think the level of confidence in them is a bit ridiculous. Certainly their betting price to qualify from this game is too short. They have handled average opposition decently, but looked uncomfortable for stretches against Japan.

On the other side of the equation, Slovakia seemed to be clicking against Italy. Plus don't forget it is a once off tie where anything can happen.

62674966.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Great Robben is starting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Germany...?!!! how do you back that one up mate?!

4 Matches
    3 Wins
    1 Defeat

10 Goals
    2 Conceded

1 sloppy defeat to a well organised Serbia, but aside from that they have been clinical, very German-esque and they're supposed a young inexperienced side!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Holland to win 2-1. Shold be interesting to see how Slovakia do against em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Get off the fucking phone!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

RTE are having a right reggie with their audio today...

Did Giles just mix Robben up with the Slovakian manager??!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

Giles is doing the commentary

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

LOL @ Germany being a disappointment!

Reckon Slovakia will suprise, but Dutch have far too much quality.. 3-1.. Possibly 4..... Hope Vlad Weiss plays well.. My City Bias shining through!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Gilesy sounds like hes giving a directors commentary over a film. :D

• Advertisement

Well that was awkward...

"Is that Robben... No its Weiss from Slovakia"

Haha didn't even get the right team

_Bella_ wrote: »
    Well that was awkward...

"Is that Robben... No its Weiss "

To be fair they are both balding!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Slovakia are underrated by everybody, Holland have looked really good but I'm still not sure about that defense.

Slovakia qualified for the World Cup from a group that included the Czech Republic. Holland had a very soft qualifying group.

People are saying that Italy were very bad but I think that its a case of Slovakia are very good. The Dutch have looked superb so far but I'm not convinced by their defense and they had a easy group with a bad Cameroon, Japan who are not great and a very average Denmark.

2-1 Slovakia after extra time.

To be fair they are both balding!:p

Yeah but Gilesy isn't colour-blind, well, as far as we know!

Degag wrote: »
    Yeah but Gilesy isn't colour-blind, well, as far as we know!

The death of sarcasim!:(

eagle eye wrote: »
    Slovakia are underrated by everybody, Holland have looked really good but I'm still not sure about that defense.

Slovakia qualified for the World Cup from a group that included the Czech Republic. Holland had a very soft qualifying group.

People are saying that Italy were very bad but I think that its a case of Slovakia are very good. The Dutch have looked superb so far but I'm not convinced by their defense and they had a easy group with a bad Cameroon, Japan who are not great and a very average Denmark.

2-1 Slovakia after extra time.

Slovakia are a decent unit, but Netherlands have won ALL 11 matches so far of this World Cup campaign and over those 11 matches I think they've only conceded something like 3 including a very soft penalty against Cameroon.

I think they'll be too much for the Slovaks, but they'd be too much for the vast majority of sides too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

eagle eye wrote: »
    People are saying that Italy were very bad but I think that its a case of Slovakia are very good.

Whatever about Slovakia, when people said Italy were very bad, they were spot on tbh.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Oh Jesus the fuсkers are at it again with the 80-yard passes back to the keeper...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

goal, Robben, nice

Vintage Arjen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,391 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

LEGEND

• Advertisement

Great goal by Robben!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Robben. You beauty. Cracking finish.

Great goal....

Arjen Robben, you beauty!

I think we may be watching the champions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Brilliant from Robben!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Great play from Robben. Think the keeper should have done a bit better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

He's just unstoppable lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭deise48

he done that a few times this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Well done Robben.....wonder if the Dutch will kick on from here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Went down to get a drink and missed it! Rookie mistake! :mad:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Good move selling him, Real Madrid.:pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement