Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brazil v Chile, Last 16, 28th June @ 7.30 pm

• 27-06-2010 11:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭

brazil-flag.pngchile-flag.png

Brazil -v- Chile

Last 16
    Ellis Park
    Monday 28th June 2010
    7.30 pm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Brazil have the beating of Chile, I think. Brazil's defence is fairly solid and Fabiano could have a field day with Chile's defence, imo. The best tactic for Chile would be to use their pace to counter any Brazilian attacks, but in saying that, Bastos and Maicon aren't exactly slow themselves.

Should be a good game, either way. Looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

These two played in September in an absolutely cracking match. Ended 4-2 to Brazil, both teams had a man sent off. Was such an entertaining match. Brazil always have the beating of Chile, and unfortunately I don't see that changing tomorrow :( Also, if the Brazilian media are to be believed, if Brazil lose tomorrow then Dunga will find himself out of a job.

No Medel or Ponce = Brazil win this easily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Should be a very entertaining match, I've really enjoyed Chile thus far in the competition.

Hopeing for a Brazil win, with a Luis Fabiano hat-trick.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

what are chile's back up defenders like ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

The two Chile defenders missing through suspension (Medel, Ponce) are the top two rated players in the tournament based on their performances so far!

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/statistics/castrolindex/ranking.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

I'm very excited every time I get the chance to see Chile play. I'd actually have picked them for the upset here if it wasn't for the fact that Ponce and Medel were suspended. Terrible luck for Bielsa.

Brazil to win but hopefully Chile will either go out with a bang or somehow come up with the upset of the tournament.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Should be a comfortable win for Brazil. There's a lot to be said for a qualifying campaign that lets you play everyone in your area twice and I don't think Chile will have any surprises for the old campaigners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

There's a lot to be said for a qualifying campaign that lets you play everyone in your area twice

Imagine that in Europe :eek::eek:

Headshot wrote: »
    what are chile's back up defenders like ?

Pablo Contreras looks likely to be one of the lads to come in, probably at the right side of the three man defence in place of Medel. He could also go in the centre in place of Ponce and Isla could go to the right side, or Vidal could even go on in the middle, although I imagine Bielsa will want to keep both of them in midfielder, so I imagine Ismael Fuentes will come in. Have never been impressed by him the few times I've seen him, seems somewhat of a liability. If I was to guess Chile's line-up, it would be:

________________________Bravo__________________________

________Contreras________Fuentes__________Jara___________

_______________________Carmona________________________

_____Isla___________________________________Vidal________

______________________Fernandez________________________

__Sanchez______________Valdivia_____________Beausejour___

That's assuming Humberto Suazo is still not ready to start. Millar could also come into midfield if one of Isla or Vidal are put in defence. If Bielsa thinks Robinho will be playing deeper than usual to help out in midfield, then either Isla or Vidal will drop back and make it a 4 man defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

in the last 3 times they met in the Copa America, Brazil beat them 5-0 on one occasion and something like 5-0 on the other occasion.

Brazil for the big win.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

It is very hard to see any other result than a Brazilian win; Brazil are so strong in all areas (particularly in defence, so this will most likely nullify the so-far excellent Chilean attacking options) that it will be a fairly unharried route to the quarter finals.

That said, Chile have proven themselves to be well capable of playing some very good football, and might just throw a shock or two in Brazil's direction.

Will be an entertaining enough game, of which I will probably miss a significant portion...:( Goddamn GAA committments!!!:o

36998969.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Should be a comfortable win for Brazil. There's a lot to be said for a qualifying campaign that lets you play everyone in your area twice and I don't think Chile will have any surprises for the old campaigners.

You could say the same for Chile.. but I see a Brazil win unless Chile put away their chances. Chiles style plays into the Brazilians hands as they love to counter attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

RichTea wrote: »
    I'd actually have picked them for the upset here if it wasn't for the fact that Ponce and Medel were suspended. Terrible luck for Bielsa.

Nothing to do with luck.

If his team learned to play football without kicking lumps out of the opposition he'd have all his best players available to him.
    It's probably a fault of Biesla that he hasn't instilled some discipline into his team.It could end up being costly.

It's a pity actually, I would have given Chile a chance but they really needed their best XI available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I take it Elano is not fit then. Or possibly Dunga thinks Ramires may provide a better physical defence against Vidal's runs. Either way this will be a fascinating match tactically.

Cesar
    Maicon - Lucio - Juan - Bastos
    Silva ---- Melo
    ---Ramires -- Kaka

Fabiano
    Robinho

EDIT/

Both Valdivia and Fernandez on the bench for Chile is odd. Would've expected one or the other to be playing behind Suazo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Vokes wrote: »
    I take it Elano is not fit then. Or possibly Dunga thinks Ramires may provide a better physical defence against Vidal's runs. Either way this will be a fascinating match tactically.

Cesar
    Maicon - Lucio - Juan - Bastos
    Silva ---- Melo
    ---Ramires -- Kaka

Fabiano
    Robinho

Melos out. Alves is starting. Dunno what formation thats gonna produce

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Is this Webb's first game?

Vokes wrote: »
    Both Valdivia and Fernandez on the bench for Chile is odd. Would've expected one or the other to be playing behind Suazo.

Gonzalez should occupy that role. Strange, I really expected Fernandez to start, but Gonzalez has looked better so far, and Beausejour has been a revelation out left.

Is this Webb's first game?

Third of the tournament I think.

EDIT: Definitely his third.
    Spain - Swiss
    Slo - Ita

MR NINE wrote: »
    Melos out. Alves is starting. Dunno what formation thats gonna produce
    I guess it could be same formation with Ramirez in Melo's position and Alves in Elano's. Im suprised Josue or Kleberson aren't in for Melo - Dunga must have no confidence in them.

• Advertisement

Nothing to do with luck.

If his team learned to play football without kicking lumps out of the opposition he'd have all his best players available to him.
    It's probably a fault of Biesla that he hasn't instilled some discipline into his team.It could end up being costly.

It's a pity actually, I would have given Chile a chance but they really needed their best XI available.

It's something Bielsa get's them to do on purpose. They'll gladly foul the opposition and pick up a card to prevent a counter attack. It's probably somewhat naive, but with the style of football they play they would get killed on the counter attack if they didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

It's a good sign to have web reffing this one last two games he reefed where crackers.

Fuerza Chile!

FuerzaChile330.jpg

Ray Houghton seems to think Carmona is replacing Fernandez :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

Feck my UPC box says its being upgraded wtf :mad: why now when match is on ahhh..

I can never get over how much Marcelo Bielsa reminds me of Bill Belichick.

Marcelo_Bielsa1.jpgbelichick.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Sanchez is obviously going onto big things after this, but the other man I think well worth making a move for is Beausejour. Has been absolutely fantastic in this tournament, looks a fantastic player.

Any info on him on a broader scale for me Archi? Has he just looked so good this tournament or is this the norm for him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Fcuking vuvuz :mad:

Pretty even at the mo, Chile started off well but Brazil have come into it now and look to be the more likely to score

a tad boring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

If lucio hadn't been so theatrical he would of gotten a peno

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

What is Houghton ****ing on about that was a bad tackle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Chile look worth a punt.

Chile have committed the most fouls in the group stage of the world cup according to ITV - Cant say that comes as a surprise.

great finish.

finally a goal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nipps

GOAL brazil! JUAN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Fantastic header.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

He is the Juan and only

lol @ fabiano

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Classic Brasil. 2-0.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Did the ITV commentator just say they scored with a "British goal"?!

This is why people hate the English press.

Well thats the end of this match

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nipps

Brilliant from kaka, 2-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Now thats a Brazilian goal.

Counterattack kings!

Awesome goal :)
    quarryman wrote:
    Yeh, really annoying. Dunga's Brazil scored 3 of those kinda goals in the Confederations Cup and presumably a few of them in qualifying too. It's not a new thing for them.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Two very good goals.

brilliant goal, Brazil into the quarters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Brazil starting to take off now. Looking like they could get a few more

Chile must be kicking themselves they have them two CBs Medel and Ponce suspended.

Gonna be an awful big ask for them coming from two down.

Crazy thing is Chile aint been bad and Brazil aint been great.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

quarryman wrote: »

This is why people hate the English press.

Could have meant Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish either ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement