Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peoples choices of optics

• 27-06-2010 11:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭

So im looking into getting some sort of optic for my aeg and was just seeing what yous prefer on your aeg and why you find some types useful and some others not so useful.
    I know its really down to preference but i just want to see what peoples views on the different types are, wether it be a scope, red dot scope, eotech etc :D

Thanks,
    Damo :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

My preference would be an ACOG with 4x magnification and a red dot on top. Bought one on here a while back and have used it in every skirmish since. I know some people feel magnification isn't needed in airsoft, but I think it can help a lot. The red dot could be used for closer ranges, but the main reason its there is for looks.
    TA31TRD.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scody94

EOTECH 552 its amazing to use and looks good aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tonyj_mc

normally an Eo-Tech 553 very clear optics with a 3x flip to side Magnifier best of all worlds in a rather low profile set up.

Use a standard red dot as well, but prefer the eo-tech

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Have an ACM 1X ACOG, great for use on the UMP, have a reflex but I dont like the look of them.

Also, have a 40mm 3-9X scope, normally for snipers but it suits the Sig550 down to the ground(If you've played CSS you'll see why this was a obvious choice:p). It can "see" far further than it can shoot but its great for advising your teamates from highground.

Finally, have the Augs 2X 20mm optic with IS on top. The JG ones I've seen arent up to the standard of the CA, although close enough. The CA one is a beaut though. It is narrow but thats why you have iron sights and it doesnt add bulk to the gun. I realise its not fit for 20mm rails like I presume you want to use, but just dont forget about compact scopes when weighing up options.

EDIT: Hope to get an A2 receiver and an ELCAN at some stage, ugly feckers but nice sights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

I used to use eotechs, but switched to a 4x AGOC like the above. The 4x is very useful to see exactly where your bbs are going (of course I'm a blind bastard so your mileage may vary).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭*DOBBY*

gerrowadat wrote: »
    I used to use eotechs, but switched to a 4x AGOC like the above. The 4x is very useful to see exactly where your bbs are going (of course I'm a blind bastard so your mileage may vary).
    +1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Beez

Just recently got a G&P Aimpoint with a high mount. I think its excellant and fairly cheap for the quality too.

gp_rds_red_1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Holo 553 ..got it for my M4 plus suits my soon to be re-united Scar-L as well.
    Got it from Tony as midwest...crystal clear...no fogging and lovely bright aimpoint in it, works perfect in the bright sun as well..

Element-Replica-553-Holosight-001.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I use an ACOG Red-Dot from QAS in Carlow. Does the job and was cheap enough. Has Red Dot/Green Dot with two intensity settings. Thats all anyone needs on an AEG imo.

Acog_red_green_dot_1x32.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

i use a ACOG x4 zoom scope i find works well and the zoom is nice for sniping on the M4

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭birdman 1979

I have a ECLAN on my Aug, which is class. Theirs good eye relief on it, it crystal clear. It is a bit heavy, but the pros outway the cons.

For my raider i have a X1 red dot style acog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I have a ECLAN on my Aug, which is class. Theirs good eye relief on it, it crystal clear. It is a bit heavy, but the pros outway the cons.

I called it an ELCAN, not ECLAN :p Do you mind me asking where/h'much?

LOL, I got it from firesupport, as a well deserved xmass present to myself. I have a pic here of it on the aug http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055065511&page=41

I seen one on ebay banned for sale also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Eotech 551 and a 552 and a G&P Aimpoint, prefer the Eotechs though myself:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

I tought that a sniper scope would look silly on some aegs but after looking through some of the pictures on the picture thread im thinkin of getting a scope for my raider and slap on a silencer aswell, would look sweet i think :D
    Lovin the sig btw lethal bullet ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Drachnien

I'm definitely a fan of aimpoints, most of my aeg's mount them (of one flavour or another). the only unusual ones are my Tar that has an aimpoint and magnifier (that was fun to fit) and strangely enough my primary that has a 3-9 mildot on it. I find the magnification can make a major difference but i do have it mounted on a QD riser so i can pull it off to use the iron sights if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

+1 ELCAN is the way forward. Bought one from Saul a while ago. Best Optics ever - used it in L.A.C. could see the enemy approaching a good distance off:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

The three main sights I use are my collection of various Aimpoints (which go on most things), a G&G ACOG red dot (or rather a red battle-reticle, sits on my main rifle as it's the most accurate and looks the dogs...) and my 8-32x50 scope.

Yeah, that last one does seem a bit out of place among the rest, doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭lissacahaluke

Anyone use one of these? A bit different and cheap too.:p
    1276562941534915595.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Drachnien

Anyone use one of these? A bit different and cheap too.:p

They are Tiny and very hard to aquire a target with any sort of speed, There actually the little red dot that sits above the carry handle scope on a g36. there ok for that purpose (like the tiny RD on top of some ACOGs) but as a main sight it's too small.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭lissacahaluke

Drachnien wrote: »
    They are Tiny and very hard to aquire a target with any sort of speed, There actually the little red dot that sits above the carry handle scope on a g36. there ok for that purpose (like the tiny RD on top of some ACOGs) but as a main sight it's too small.
    Oh lol I thought it was big lik, now i get what its for. thanks man

Growler!!! wrote: »
    +1 ELCAN is the way forward. Bought one from Saul a while ago. Best Optics ever - used it in L.A.C. could see the enemy approaching a good distance off:)

Same as, i used it to great effect in the cqb area. More for calling targets than shooting.

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    I tought that a sniper scope would look silly on some aegs but after looking through some of the pictures on the picture thread im thinkin of getting a scope for my raider and slap on a silencer aswell, would look sweet i think :D
    Lovin the sig btw lethal bullet ;)

here you go...did it for the laugh at LAC :D

6A136E30D6CE418B8987469F5EF2ED32-800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    here you go...did it for the laugh at LAC :D

6A136E30D6CE418B8987469F5EF2ED32-800.jpg
    At least you did it right. I saw a kid in Helfire one day with a scope mounted on a M16A2 carrying handle (which slopes down). Dumbest thing I have ever seen. FAIL for utility and looks.

the scope actually looks sloped downward until I realized that the handguard was higher than the rear of the scope..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Killinator

Mmmmmmm scopes:D

I use a variety,

Most usage comes from a 4x ACOG(great field of view with the ability to get your eye right up to the sight, great for seeing bad things coming your way), also has a set of emergency battle sights which make it look much better:
    100_0357.jpg
    100_0358.jpg
    100_0032.jpg

Also is my 4.5x-14xLeupold Scope used on my SR-25(has red/green crosshair illumination, a fantastic scope for spotting, crystal clear with great zoom and focus abilities, quite large and looks ridiculous on anything other than a sniper or marksman rifle):
    100_1835.jpg
    100_1839.jpg
    100_1844.jpg
    And finallly my favorite(becasue its the real deal, made for a rs M16/M4 series rifle) my 4x Colt carry handle mounted scope( best out of the three for clarity with good magnification and good eye relief, on the downside the field of view can seem quite narrow after using an acog or red eotech, but otherwise, I'd never sell):
    100_1845.jpg
    100_1847.jpg
    100_1848.jpg
    100_1851.jpg.

Advertisement