Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car vibrates heavily on cold mornings

• 28-06-2010 1:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭

I have noticed this today and yesterday. When I start the car and for the first say 10 minutes the car is vibrating vigerously until the engine heats up. Revs are the same as normal on meter but seem to be rougher lately.

Any idea on what happening?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

It's shivering.

Duh :rolleyes:

Petrol or diesel. I presume it's petrol, may well be ignition issues, coils or cap perhaps. Your post is lacking a bit on detail, make, model etc :) Wouldn't rule out a worn engine mount resonating with the slightly higher revs at start up either. As said though you need to give more detail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

id say its because the auto choke is open and running a bit rougher as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'd agree on the auto choke but it's been warm even in the mornings and the issues seems pretty new?

OP, Make etc as asked above.
    Petrol/diesel?
    Recent repairs?
    Smoking?

Try to sit in car and give it a bit of gas, does it sound better in higher revs?
    Maybe just idle that needs adjusting, throttlebody needs a clean or similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Im in New Zealand and its pretty cold here.

Its an old 91 toyota corona manual petrol

2 new front tyres & radio fitted and heater fan set to high (only has one speed, was on medium) although im pretty sure this has nothing to do with it.

Its smoking but its the usual grey steam smoke you get on cold mornings

Basically after 8 hours at night in a cold basment garage its rough and vibratey but after 9+ hours out in the open cold at work it runs like silk.

also when its vibrating heavily and i accelarate its not as responsive as it usually is

Any further thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I would bet on it being an intake manifold vacuum/air leak. When the engine heats up it expands fittings slightly allowing better sealing when warm. Any additional smoke or steam would point to this too. If you try to drive it straight off the bat, does it seem like it wants to cut out?

I took mine off and resealed both banks with Intake sealant (the gaskets are nearly EUR300 each)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

Could be a Injector??

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

Im in New Zealand and its pretty cold here.

Its an old 91 toyota corona manual petrol

2 new front tyres & radio fitted and heater fan set to high (only has one speed, was on medium) although im pretty sure this has nothing to do with it.

Its smoking but its the usual grey steam smoke you get on cold mornings

Basically after 8 hours at night in a cold basment garage its rough and vibratey but after 9+ hours out in the open cold at work it runs like silk.

also when its vibrating heavily and i accelarate its not as responsive as it usually is

Any further thoughts?

Could be a faulty mechanical thermostat not closing off when the engine coolant is cold..When you say cold are you talking under -10C ??

Or as said above, choke/intake problem..

Difficult to diagnose with seeing/hearing (or smelling) the car..

Best of luck,
    CarMuppet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

CarMuppet wrote: »
    Could be a faulty mechanical thermostat not closing off when the engine coolant is cold..When you say cold are you talking under -10C ??

Or as said above, choke/intake problem..

Oh god no, not that cold at all maybe 1C maybe

Its strange because it wasnt as cold this morning and I drove to the end of the street.....car vibrating then i got out on to road behind a car, travelled maybe 3 meters and it was fine.

Advertisement