Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leica 1600

Options
  • 28-06-2010 3:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭

Thanks for all of the previous suggestions. I decided to throw down some dosh and acquire a decent range finder. I bought the Leica 1600 for $720.00. It is supposed to ship the first week of July.

Don't normally like to buy such high end items on faith, however, earlier models appear to have gone well.

Has anyone tried this model out or even seen it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

FISMA wrote: »
    Thanks for all of the previous suggestions. I decided to throw down some dosh and acquire a decent range finder. I bought the Leica 1600 for $720.00. It is supposed to ship the first week of July.

Don't normally like to buy such high end items on faith, however, earlier models appear to have gone well.

Has anyone tried this model out or even seen it?

No but post some pics when you get it.
    My range finder is weak when you go over 300 yards. It can take a few attempts to get a reading
    Nikon buckmasters 800.

A range finder really improved my shooting as i range found all the fields I shoot regular.

The leica get rave reviews, keep us posted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Youll be right with the Leica...I have an older model as do a few mates as well....
    They are spot on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

$720 *whistles*

I'm relieved I bought my Leica Rangemaster CRF900 when I did!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

how good do range finders work at night or how many on boards have them or what do ye use them for, i never used one shooting before just played with some zeiss ones in birr last year,they seem very handy but i presume there more for stalkers and long range varminters as it would be hard to get the time to use them for lamping, or maybe i'm completely wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

ormondprop wrote: »
    how good do range finders work at night or how many on boards have them or what do ye use them for, i never used one shooting before just played with some zeiss ones in birr last year,they seem very handy but i presume there more for stalkers and long range varminters as it would be hard to get the time to use them for lamping, or maybe i'm completely wrong

Go out during the day in your lamping grounds and range find the fields, if you know the distances and you have a few ref points measured yuo are in business.

I find a range finder like a GPS the more you use them the less you will need them as they teach you a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

ormondprop wrote: »

In the top rangefinders the glass is very good, so you'll get a good clear picture at night. You should be able to see your fox or the eyes at the very least and get a good return on it. I use mine when I'm not sure of the range, or when I'm shooting out on the flat bog or in an unfamiliar place. I wouldn't be without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

John,
    True, it is a bit steep, however, there's quite a few new tricks integrated.

It appears that the 1200 is now discontinued, however, I could be wrong.

Realistically, I do not plan to shoot over 800, I do wish to become proficient in the 600 yard range. I have found that in order to ensure accuracy and reliability, you need to take 50% of the max range claimed by the manufacturer.

This model has integrated ballistic programs included and displays both yards and meters. The ballistics program did it for me. The yards/m's was icing on the cake.

Anyhow, for those traveling to the states, or with cousins out there, go to the following link. Search around (google) and you'll find an additional 10% coupon.

http://www.binoculars.com/rangefinders/laser-rangefinders/leicarangemastercrf1600laserrangefinder.cfm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

I got a Leica 1200 for $499 in Januray... Wish i hada bought back when JohnGalway did!!!

Going over the credit card statement and I see a charge that I do not recognise. Nice chunk of change too.

Turns out, the 1600, backordered for months, not expected to ship until Nov, has already shipped.

Thought the order was canceled. Now the 1200 I recently acquired will have its 1600 cousin to play with.

May just refuse the shipment. However, I am tempted to get it and test it out first.

I kind of like the 1200, the 1600 might just do to much for me - ballistics calculator and all.

Looks like one may go, keep an eye on the ads lads...;)

Again, has anyone field tested, seen, or heard anything about this model?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭SpringerF

I just might have to bite the technology bullet and get me one of these range finder gismos.

Must buy a Lotto ticket for tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Hi Fisma, I might just buy it back from ya:) Let me know...

Kay_9,
    Which one? Would probably be best to sell the 1600 and keep the 1200.

I'll let you know in any case.

I really cannot justify the 1600. Honestly thought it was canceled.

I will test it out and give a review before anything else.

Slan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

I'll see how what my cash flow is like and let ya know. That 1600 sounds tempting though.

johngalway wrote: »
    $720 *whistles*

I'm relieved I bought my Leica Rangemaster CRF900 when I did!
    John,
    At $720, that's actually the cheapest price around. I had to bust out the old coupon and wait 4 months to get that.

Anyhow, first impressions is that it is a nice looking unit. It is almost identical to the 1200. However, the new one has a lot of functions that I have yet to set.

I was able to check the temp and pressure outside. I have 12 different ballistic trajectories to choose from to calculate drop. I'll post more when I read the manual.

Lads, given the relative recent rebound in the Euro, at €520, I think I would recommend this one.

Yeah, it's steep. However, given it's optics and technology, I don't think many others are doing what it does for the cost.

Final thought: I really, really, really, do not want to drop this in the field.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Looking forward to a thorough report

Advertisement