Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

creating a community website with plenty of blogs

Options
  • 28-06-2010 3:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hello all,

fellow boardsie seeking some advise.
    I want to create a website which is community driven, so will have an optional login page whereby more content is displayed when logged in, this also gives access to a forum. Also I will have plenty of blogs too, so ill need to be able to update it simply and regularly.

I am considering using Wordpress to develop the site, but I come here asking if you believe this is the best product, or would you feel there are better tools available to build such a site, and be able to maintain it on an almost daily basis.

ta.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Personally I like a Joomla Base, Kunena Forum and Jomsocial as the community... It works outta the box so-to-speak and Jomsocial 1.8 rocks.

I've tried community builder as well, but once you start adding in the same functionality as Jomsocial (templates / plugins) it tends to become more expensive in terms of development and customizing IMHO.

my 2c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Personally I like a Joomla Base, Kunena Forum and Jomsocial as the community... It works outta the box so-to-speak and Jomsocial 1.8 rocks and support is fantastic .. no it is not free ($150), but it'll save you at least the same in customizing & buying plugins for something else.

I've tried community builder as well, but once you start adding in the same functionality as Jomsocial (templates / plugins) it tends to become more expensive in terms of development and customizing IMHO.

my 2c

Conor J wrote: »
    Hello all,
    Also I will have plenty of blogs too, so ill need to be able to update it simply and regularly.

When you say "plenty of blogs", do you mean blogs or blog posts? Wordpress is generally regarded as the best blogging platform, and release 3 means that a standard installation now has multiple blog abilities built in, where this was previously part of a separate project - Wordpress MU.

BBpress is a simple forum from the Wordpress folks, but you might want to look at solutions that provide a bridge between Wordpress and more elaborate forums like phpBB or vBulletin.

http://www.wp-united.com/ is one possible solution - there are many more.

Advertisement