Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good physio in Cork?

Options
  • 28-06-2010 6:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭

I need a good affordable Physio and I'm not sure where to go to. I have some serious problems with my left arm and overall posture. The problems with my arm seemed to start with immense discomfort in the wrist, but is now more focused in the shoulder. It could have been caused by a heavy over the shoulder bag I had in college.

I don't really play sports but I do play guitar, so I really need a working left arm for playing and carrying gear.. My left arm is currently quite a bit weaker than my right even though I try to use both, I seem to remember less of a difference a couple of years back. I don't think it's so much a lack of strength I'm feeling as some kind of general strain.

If anyone's had similar problems what physio did you use, how much were they and were they any good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

if you are in the douglas area i would recommend neasa long and partners. there are about 12 physios in the practice. very handy free 3 hour parking across the way in tesco.
    021 4896266

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

if you are in the douglas area i would recommend neasa long and partners. there are about 12 physios in the practice. very handy free 3 hour parking across the way in tesco.
    021 4896266

they know their stuff alright but I found them to be very expensive and 'suggested' I go back for about 6 sessions...now that was the good times of the celtic tiger but just something to keep in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Lostinspace

David Angland in Bishopstown and Gary Ahern in Douglas Village are excellent. Gary is very powerful and goes hard but it's extremely effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

they know their stuff alright but I found them to be very expensive and 'suggested' I go back for about 6 sessions...now that was the good times of the celtic tiger but just something to keep in mind.

How much were they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

neasa long charge €50 for about 45 min/ 1 hour usually . id say thats about standard ?

not cheap but sometimes you have no option but to go for professional help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

I agree - professional every time. And experience - so I still go with myself. 26 years in private practice. My website explains it all. Check it out www.ossi-physio.com.
    Self praise no praise!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Please dont feed the advertisers, they just keep coming back!

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

021 4896266

+1 for Neasa. Lovely lady. Widely respected by GPs and Consultants. You probably get what you pay for. Been attending physio's off and on for 30 yrs for sports injuries and if in Cork, I'd never go anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭lilminx

Went to Mark O'Sullivan, 021 - 4291459

Have fibromyalgia and after one session had more movement in my shoulder than I have done in years!

Very nice guy, chatty, but not in your face with talk.. listens to what you need done and great results.

Hope you find someone that suits you.

David Angland in Bishopstown and Gary Ahern in Douglas Village are excellent. Gary is very powerful and goes hard but it's extremely effective.

I've also seen David Angland, it's been years now but he was very thorough and takes his work seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bprob

http://www.findaphysio.ie/

a service from the irish society of chartered physiotherapists, allowing you to find physiotherapists in your area.

remember, if you have a city centre gp, or attend a+e (though you will not be a priority in the a+e!!!), they can refer you to the mercy, where you can avail of free physiotherapy, (all you will pay for is your initial a+e or gp assessment). a similar situation holds in cuh and sivuh i think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Denise Walsh at the Blackpool Physio Clinic is amazing, she also does the ladies football team

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Stewart Dollery at the blackrock physical therapy clinic is brilliant. tore my groin asunder in a few places and he had be as good as new very quickly.

http://www.physicaltherapyfirst.ie/

everyone will say that their physio is great though. it's like asking someone for a driving instructor reccomendation!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭masadjie

bprob wrote: »

a service from the irish society of chartered physiotherapists, allowing you to find physiotherapists in your area.

remember, if you have a city centre gp, or attend a+e (though you will not be a priority in the a+e!!!), they can refer you to the mercy, where you can avail of free physiotherapy, (all you will pay for is your initial a+e or gp assessment). a similar situation holds in cuh and sivuh i think

Can I make appointment to free physiotherapy at CUH directly without being referred by a GP? any experience?

corkphysio wrote: »
    Unfortunately, to get free physiotherapy in CUH you need to be referred by the system i.e you would need to have been seen in A&E or by a Consultant :(

Denise Walsh
    Chartered Physiotherapist & Pilates Instructor
    http://www.blackpoolphysio.com

and of course one may be well dead before the appointment comes up:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

bprob wrote: »

I hadn't heard of that. My Doctor is on Wilton Road, so I don't know if they can.

I'm really unsure with who to go with. There's quite a few and a lot of them will require a bus or quite a bit of walking to get to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

+1 on David

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Runfast1 wrote: »
    Hi id recommend Andrea O`Riordan, shes in the Edge Sports Shop , Kinsale Rd. She really knows her stuff and she has done lots of courses in different specialities including osteopathy! Treatment lasts for 1hour and she charges 45euro a session, I had a tricky I.T.B problem and she sorted it for me! Lovely person, very Hands-on therapist. 085 109 74 78

http://www.physicaltherapycork.com

Look her up on Facebook also :)

I'd hope after two years they have found one before now Andrea.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭familystand

mary byrne physio on saint patricks quay is very good, i used a guy called eoin there, he was excelent, they were charging € 50 per hour and you can pay by credit card unlike lots of others who only wante cash or cheques.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 searchinginfo

021 4896266
    Well I've come out of nessa longs place with d wrong limb treated,and while getting treatment which lasted 30min and costs 50euro I was told I would need another session and that they could feel the injury deep down!!! Feel the injury deep down on a different part of the body-that is some going.needless to say I will not be returning and am looking for my money back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Anner11

The problem with a practice with 12 physios is that you could be unlucky with who treats you. I can recommend Deirdre Twomey of Wilton Physiotherapy opposite St Finbarrs Cemetry. She works on her own.

Well I've come out of nessa longs place with d wrong limb treated,and while getting treatment which lasted 30min and costs 50euro I was told I would need another session and that they could feel the injury deep down!!! Feel the injury deep down on a different part of the body-that is some going.needless to say I will not be returning and am looking for my money back.

that place is a bit of a physio 'power-house' alright. I've been there for treatment before but a particular physio in there was recommended to me so I asked to be seen by that person only.

However they are so busy it's unreal. I've always arrived on time but only to be left waiting up to 15 minutes for the session to begin and when it does you are juggled between some other client as they have so many customers on the go at the one time.
    A typical example is when they finish working on you and then put a heat pack on and leave you for 10 minutes...by the time they return the heat pack has cooled down significantly and I felt I was wasting my time there only for the physio to return from working on the other client to let me go.

The physio who was dealing with me was very good and professional but I felt it was all too rushed and too busy and I probably wouldn't go back there for those reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭KatyBob

Hi can anyone receommend a good physio in the city centre - particularly for back problems? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

TBH......my experience was exactly the same - they told me I would need 'at least' 6 sessions straight off. They aren't cheap, but I wouldn't have minded paying if problem was solved. I just felt ripped off!

Also, I cancelled appointment no. 13, and they never called to follow-up....Naw....wouldn't be my faves!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 slightly

Cork Sports Injury Clinic
    Waterfall rd
    Cork

Checkout facebook page paul will look after you.

Advertisement