Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

angel01 wrote: »
    You are lucky, I only get a lag entering text but that is a small price to pay, 3 are great other than that, Vodafone are a rip off to me.

I have a different Build number and baseband than you but everything else is the same :) You should google samsung galaxy s lag, well known.

They say sometime this month. You would have to contact Samsung for that.

Is your build and baseband number higher or lower than mine ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Solair wrote: »
    Is your build and baseband number higher or lower than mine ?

It is a different lettering at the end

I have the app but it isn't in there :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,450 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Solair wrote: »
    System details:
    Firmware : 2.1-update 1
    Baseband: I9000XXJM1
    Kernel: 2.6.29
    Build No: ECLAIR.XWJM2

Mines:

Baseband: I9000NEJG1
    Kernel: 2.6.29 root@se-s602 #2
    Build No: ECLAIR.NEJG2

Mines:

Baseband: I9000NEJG1
    Kernel: 2.6.29 root@se-s602 #2
    Build No: ECLAIR.NEJG2

Same as mine but the app is not in the list

it's called task manager, have you it already installed

• Advertisement

it's called task manager, have you it already installed

No 3 have told me:
    I have checked the details, the program monitor software is available with a new firmware not with the existing one's.

When did you buy the phone? Makes no sense :(

In a 3 Store, We've both the same firmware, strange you don't have it, are the rest of the apps there, remote control, blinky beat etc

In a 3 Store, We've both the same firmware, strange you don't have it, are the rest of the apps there, remote control, blinky beat etc

Ah never mind, I have a task manager that I have downloaded from the android market, works just as well :)

Did you download Kies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Kies

I've installed it on Vista and Win7 (64bit). I thought Nokia's PC Suite & Ovi Suite was bad.

I've lost count how many times Kies has crashed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It really is a horrible, horrible piece of software. It's a bloody miracle if you can actually connect to it.

• Advertisement

Do you guys leave data running all the time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I am trying to change my calendar notifications. Am able to change the notification sound, but if I don't here it, it never repeats, and there is no notification on the phone, the way there is if I have missed a call for example.

On my hero there would always be a calendar icon in the status bar to tell me I had missed an calendar notification.

Any help appreciated:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

the samsung task manager is only available in firmwares ending in JM* or higher. It's not in any of the JG firmwares. If you go into settings > about phone and check the baseband version you will know if you should have a task kilter or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Nevermind_

is the update for the firmware to 2.2 released yet? and does that mean that the newer versions of flash will now work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

mathew wrote: »
    the samsung task manager is only available in firmwares ending in JM* or higher. It's not in any of the JG firmwares. If you go into settings > about phone and check the baseband version you will know if you should have a task kilter or not.

just checked and I havent got it

Mt wife has it on hers and it very good,

Will I get it on the next 2.2?

Thanks in advance

Kev

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Nevermind_ wrote: »
    is the update for the firmware to 2.2 released yet? and does that mean that the newer versions of flash will now work?
    Only beta versions, should be out by end of September, hoping before that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭reb73

Been on the latest Froyo official beta (I9000XXJPC - rooted obviously and using OCLF v1 plus) for about a week now and its pretty stable and quick. There was the initial scare about having lost IMEI and ProductCode but I have both intact, so shouldn't be a problem when upgrading to official Froyo when its available over Kies.

Loving the phone - which IMHO is a fabulous piece of hardware, but not very happy with the software/firmware support by Samsung..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

reb73 wrote: »
    Been on the latest Froyo official beta (I9000XXJPC - rooted obviously and using OCLF v1 plus) for about a week now and its pretty stable and quick. There was the initial scare about having lost IMEI and ProductCode but I have both intact, so shouldn't be a problem when upgrading to official Froyo when its available over Kies.

Loving the phone - which IMHO is a fabulous piece of hardware, but not very happy with the software/firmware support by Samsung..

Is there a fix for the GPS? Mine has never worked, have the phone about a month now? Love it though. Really hoping theres a fix?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Dbaby

Hey guys,
    I want to arrange my applications menu by alphabetical grid but I cant do it! When Im in applications I press the menu key and I can only switch between grid view and list view....no other options....there's supposed to be an alphabetical option??? Any ideas??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

i folks.
    anyone know how to get the text message icon to stop showing up on the to left of the screen when a new text haas been read and displayed?

I realise it actually goes away when you click on the message bubble (where the screen has a black background) but on settings,i can only find a setting to completely turn off new text alerts!

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Dbaby

I think when you have read the message if you press the back button to go back to the home screen it disappears unless possibly if its a long message that can't be fully displayed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭Chrizfitz

Dbaby wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    I want to arrange my applications menu by alphabetical grid but I cant do it! When Im in applications I press the menu key and I can only switch between grid view and list view....no other options....there's supposed to be an alphabetical option??? Any ideas??

Dont think there is an option but I use launcherPro which allows you to customise your homescreens A LOT more than the stack launcher. It also lists your apps in the app drawer alphabetically and in cool new ways. Like here 14s in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQkVPipeO8k

Gucky wrote: »
    i folks.
    anyone know how to get the text message icon to stop showing up on the to left of the screen when a new text haas been read and displayed?

I realise it actually goes away when you click on the message bubble (where the screen has a black background) but on settings,i can only find a setting to completely turn off new text alerts!

Thanks in advance

I downloaded SMS pop up from the market, now works perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Either I'm losing my mind (I think I see the answer coming here ;)) or else they've changed Gmail on the Galaxy and made it impossible to forward mails ?????
    Any (non-psychiatric) help appreciated.

OSI wrote: »
    look at the very bottom of the email, should be options for "Reply", "Reply to all", and "Forward"

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭simplistic2

Any idea how you stop the phone from connecting to 3g and downloading updates?

Download APN On Off widget from the market

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭snowey07

Hi all,
    I got my galaxy today and while its great Ive a few questions if some could answer them for me

i can get it to connect to my upc wifi - it sees the wifi but just says aquiring address then unsucessful . I really want to start getting those great apps :)

my data plan doesnt kick in until my next bill date at the end of the month. Im paranoid the phone will connect to meteor internet and cost me a fortune. Is there anyway to turn this off in the meantime and only connect by wifi
    ( presuming i get it to work)

Thanks in advance for any help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It should work fine. You might need to check the settings on your router. Try rebooting it.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that - it works now, I think.

The 3g icon has dissapeared and what looks like a volume icon (as in curves on top of each other) is in its place. I feel like a right spanner with this phone, I havnt a clue how to work it :D

just realised thats a wifi symbol not a volume symbol

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭crimsonfire

I'm getting a Galaxy S on 3 tomorrow and I have UPC wifi so hopefully I don't get that problem too :(

Is it generally a good phone? The guy in the 3 store sold it really well and even convinced me their billpay plan was a good idea. Something I've never been keen on is billpay.

It is definately a good phone. I love it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

The power control widget that comes with the phone is pretty handy for controlling updates. It display five buttons in a bar/row and a single press turns on/off wifi, bluetooth, GPS, updates & toggles screen brightness 33%/66%/100%. Its definitely a must have on every home screen.

Access it with a long press on the home screen, select Widgets, Power control.

Steep learning curve folks! Ive gone from not being able to answer a call yesterday to sitting in bed getting the news headlines on tap this morning.

I had problems again with UPC but gave them a call and they sorted it out in 2 minutes and its all 100% perfect now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Are many people using the Cabbage app for sending your free webtexts from your mobile?

Seriously considering getting this phone on 3 with the Classic Flex Max package but realistically I'll need to keep all the flex units for calls.

If I could use cabbage for my free 333 texts a month (monthly average usage is 373 texts and 416 mins) and take either the 150 extra mins or free landline calls as my free add on I would be sorted!

• Advertisement

Are many people using the Cabbage app for sending your free webtexts from your mobile?

Seriously considering getting this phone on 3 with the Classic Flex Max package but realistically I'll need to keep all the flex units for calls.

If I could use cabbage for my free 333 texts a month (monthly average usage is 373 texts and 416 mins) and take either the 150 extra mins or free landline calls as my free add on I would be sorted!

I use cabbage on my galaxy, it works really well, haven't figured out how to add contacts but thats another days work. The add on doesn't get activated straightaway though. I had to wait till next month for that :(

I use cabbage on my galaxy, it works really well, haven't figured out how to add contacts but thats another days work. The add on doesn't get activated straightaway though. I had to wait till next month for that :(
    Cheers.

Is that standard with the add-ons or was it just a glitch in your setup? Pretty annoying I'd imagine.

Cheers.

Is that standard with the add-ons or was it just a glitch in your setup? Pretty annoying I'd imagine.

They told me it was because I joined just before the end of the month and I had to wait till the following month for it to be added on, not a major issue but at the start I didn't realise :eek:

Brilliant phone though :)

They told me it was because I joined just before the end of the month and I had to wait till the following month for it to be added on, not a major issue but at the start I didn't realise :eek:

Brilliant phone though :)

Ah ok. Yeah it's an amazing phone, I was messing around with a mates one lately and I got hooked. Add that to the fact that 02 are screwing me in comparison to what's on offer from 3 and I'm gone.

Just waiting for one other little detail and I will be placing my order!

Ah ok. Yeah it's an amazing phone, I was messing around with a mates one lately and I got hooked. Add that to the fact that 02 are screwing me in comparison to what's on offer from 3 and I'm gone.

Just waiting for one other little detail and I will be placing my order!

I left O2 as well, they didn't want to do anything for me and data was poor, myself and my OH left O2 and they couldn't care less that we left, get a much better network now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭privateBeavis

Just got my Galaxy S today from Three... so much to learn!!

Check out the free AR app:

http://www.popcode.info/demos

Nice example of whats possible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Is Bing the default search engine on this phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

No.....

It's a Google phone. Google branding on the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

chrislad wrote: »
    No.....

It's a Google phone. Google branding on the back.

I'd guess this is why he asked the question...

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/07/samsung-fascinate-review/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Is there any way to save the battery usage on the samsung galaxy. My phone battery goes dead within a day easiy, all i do is listen to radio app for a hour in and out of work, surf for 30 mins and maybe some text but the battery doesnt last ling.

Also when is the update for the Samsung to Android 2.2 out in this month?

About to order from 3, anyone have any of the promotional codes at the bottom of the order form?

They are pretty hefty savings, 25% a month off your bill for example.

About to order from 3, anyone have any of the promotional codes at the bottom of the order form?

They are pretty hefty savings, 25% a month off your bill for example.

Afraid not :( I bought from a 3 store.
    Is there any way to save the battery usage on the samsung galaxy. My phone battery goes dead within a day easiy, all i do is listen to radio app for a hour in and out of work, surf for 30 mins and maybe some text but the battery doesnt last ling.

Also when is the update for the Samsung to Android 2.2 out in this month?

Radio is a killer on the phone, do you stick it on wifi too?. Smart phones rarely last long, I have got used to charging a lot :o

Have you reduced the screen brightness?

I believe sometime this month, all going well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I was using the samsung radio but it kept breaking up, so last two days i streamed the radio.

Any reason why the samasung radio you get with the phone is poor, ie radio keeps breaking up.

Am i better off streaming the radio with an app?

Brightness all lowered down.

I was using the samsung radio but it kept breaking up, so last two days i streamed the radio.

Any reason why the samasung radio you get with the phone is poor, ie radio keeps breaking up.

Using it with an app is normally better. I am not sure why it keeps breaking up, I haven't touched the radio myself yet. Are you listening on the move or on wifi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

i have a samsung captivate galaxy s phone which dosnt have a fm radio but my older samsung did and the radio reception was very sensitive to position especially if you were inside and had the phone laid on a desk or whatever. when you stream it the reception dosnt matter obviously as long as you have wifi reception

as for the battery getting one day out of a computer like this isnt bad at all but there are plenty of guides around the interwebz showing how to optimise battery performance but its usually at the cost of performance

• Advertisement
Advertisement