Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,869 ✭✭✭statto25

ronano wrote: »
    anyone know of a free way to change toe lock screen, i hate the glass swipe just want traditional 2.1 or 2.1 swipe unlock. I don't want to have to flash a custom rom but if need be i will :(

Widget Locker is pretty good. You can put a couple of different swipe options on your lock screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

G1032 wrote: »
    There are only 2 for the i9000
    You need the one last modified at 15:04

:o been a long day, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭DRose1

Hi,

Could someone provide me (or just give me a link) with an idiot proof guide to installing the latest slim ICS rom on my Galaxy S - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1488096

My current setup/Upgrade needs:
    • Slim ICS: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1488096
    • I am currently using Go Launcher EX - Would that run well on the Slim ICS Rom?
    • I am mainly interested in smooth performance, good wifi signal/performance and good network signal/call quality - Would that slim rom suit the bill?
    • Going by this Xda Thread, would JHJV9 be a good radio to go along with the Slim Rom?
    • I am currently on 2.3.6 official ROM - I9000XXJW4
    • The phone was rooted in the past but is not at the minute
    • I am happy to do a full wipe
    Let me know if you need any more info from me and any advise/guidelines would be appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Look for idiot proof guides to installing CyanogenMod9. From there, http://www.slimroms.com/installation.htm
    follow "From another ICS ROM".

These are the instructions from that link to install from froyo/gb ROM.

Look for idiot proof guides to installing CyanogenMod9. From there, http://www.slimroms.com/installation.htm

Should be able to follow that.

Just one question - At what point/stage would I flash the JHJV9 radio and does anybody have any experience using it on here.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Just one question - At what point/stage would I flash the JHJV9 radio and does anybody have any experience using it on here?

Thanks.

DRose1 wrote: »

Just one question - At what point/stage would I flash the JHJV9 radio and does anybody have any experience using it on here?

Thanks.

Slim doesnt provide a radio so you'll have the one that came with CM9. When you've flashed CM9, make sure that everything works (3g gps wifi etc) and if it does, it should on Slim also. You can always flash a radio at any other time after installing everything, so dont worry about it.

Slim doesnt provide a radio so you'll have the one that came with CM9. When you've flashed CM9, make sure that everything works (3g gps wifi etc) and if it does, it should on Slim also. You can always flash a radio at any other time after installing everything, so dont worry about it.
    I was specifically interested in the radio because I have bad signal around my house (same with all phones), so If I could get an Irish specific radio that could improve my signal, that would be ideal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

galaxy S is crap compared to the htc desire.

the galaxy sII is better though

Thanks for your contribution. Very constructive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

You feel better now?

Of course the SGS2 is better, but so will the SGS3...4..5:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gaffs89

lewis wrote: »

You feel better now?

Of course the SGS2 is better, but so will the SGS3...4..5:rolleyes:
    I don't know Lewis , remember Godfather 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭donjuandejohn

Was about to ask a similar question to the answer above. Since I first flashed away from stock I've been sick of having really bad three signal. This was never a problem before as it would switch to Vodafone quite quickly if the signal went low, but now I'm stuck with about 10-15% time without signal each day (battery->mobile standby - the single biggest battery drain unless I'm using the screen a lot).

Would a radio change help with this? I've tried a few thing the most likely (I thought) was trying to set the preferred network type to be anything other than wcdma preferred but I can't get anything other than that to take hold, it's keeps reverting to wcdma preferred (in phone info menu *#*#4636#*#*). Thanks

Other than that really like slim (3.2), apart from having to save camera videos to the internal storage, I can't find a way around that. Minor enough problem tho.

I have JVU. GPS is woeful on it, but everything else works perfectly fine and fast enough. The GPS issue could be a hardware issue since I got the phone.

Might give it a try so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

32gb Microsd should work no problem.
    I have one in mine. Handy for those large backups.

Ste- wrote: »
    Thanks. Which brand/model card did you go for?

Ste- wrote: »
    Thanks. Which brand/model card did you go for?
    Ordered a few sandisk ones ages ago off Amazon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭G1032

Thats great and really insightful. Thanks.
    Care to elaborate?? How is it crap compared to the htc?

• Advertisement

For anyone who`s interested, this
    might be one to watch...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

Is anyone else having any problems with the latest slim release?I keep dropping signal or roaming to vodafone(I'm with three). It never used to roam this much before...

Also the backlight doesn't always stay on when you are using the phone, it seems to dim of it's own accord.

Is anyone else having any problems with the latest slim release?I keep dropping signal or roaming to vodafone(I'm with three). It never used to roam this much before...

Also the backlight doesn't always stay on when you are using the phone, it seems to dim of it's own accord.

No problems that I`ve ran into.

Do you have the sleep set to go off at a short time?

Also in custom backlight settings, have you been in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭nicebutdim

Keep an eye on these guys.....I've used them before. This one is only Class 4 and I'd recommend probably a class 10 would be better

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Micro-SDHC/MyMemory/MyMemory-32GB-Micro-SD-%28SDHC%29-Card---Class-4

lewis wrote: »
    For anyone who`s interested, this
    might be one to watch...

Thanks, I had forgotten about that.

nicebutdim wrote: »
    Keep an eye on these guys.....I've used them before. This one is only Class 4 and I'd recommend probably a class 10 would be better

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Micro-SDHC/MyMemory/MyMemory-32GB-Micro-SD-%28SDHC%29-Card---Class-4
    Keep an eye on mymemory... as in consider using them to buy the card?

I personally use Amazon for almost everything in online shopping and generally find them great for both price and service...

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭nicebutdim

Keep an eye on mymemory... as in consider using them to buy the card?

I personally use Amazon for almost everything in online shopping and generally find them great for both price and service...

Yes, in my experience they tend to have good deals., but Amazon are good as well

I have JVU. GPS is woeful on it, but everything else works perfectly fine and fast enough. The GPS issue could be a hardware issue since I got the phone.

Changing from JVT to JVU fixed my roaming problem from three to vodafone (it now spends most of the day on vodafone when I'm at work where the voda signal is stronger and at home on three, where I live about 50m from a mast). 0% of time without a signal since, but the downlaod is faster on three (HSDPA or UMTS when on three vs GPRS only when on vodafone from what I can tell).

I haven't tried the gps yet though, nor have I tried using 2G only (JVT would take about 15 mins to switch back to 3G unless I manually rescanned for the three network).

Thanks for the advice.

nicebutdim wrote: »
    Yes, in my experience they tend to have good deals., but Amazon are good as well

This is where I buy any memory cards and have always been happy with their service and price.

http://www.lowpricememory.co.uk/

• Advertisement

Ordered the class 10 Samsung 32gb from the Amazon link above.

Gets almost universal praise everywhere I looked.

Theme chooser now back in CM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I got the Slim 3.6 update yesterday. This ROM is amazing, just so stable and updates regularly.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I got the Slim 3.6 update yesterday. This ROM is amazing, just so stable and updates regularly.

Did you do a factory reset before updating or just go straight ahead and update?

Did you do a factory reset before updating or just go straight ahead and update?

Just cleared cache and dalvik. Took 5 mins and I kept all apps and settings

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭dubhoop

Is it possible to upgrade the firm ware on my S1 its on eclair 2.1 now. I have tried looking it up online and through the Galaxy forums but as yet off to know avail. Would anybody be able to point me in the right direction.

Regards
    Dubhoop

• Advertisement

I've done this a good few times. I have it down to a fine art and can do it in 15mins. I'll put a proper guide together now. It's a long winded one so it may take a while to put together. Also, there are files to upload so in the mean time get your backups sorted so you can wipe the phone. Use Sms backup, call backup and also figure how to sync your contacts to Gmail. Then make a backup of your phones internal SD card on your Pc because we'll be formatting that also.

i have a clear phone. sim not been put in since reset everything backed up that i need plus i keep a spare unused sim with my numbers on it also.

First of all, uninstall that nasty Samsung Kies shíte off your pc or use a pc that hasn't had it installed. Here's the driver if your computer asks for it. I'd remove the external sd card and sim from the phone, they may cause problems later. Fully charge your phone to 100% before you start. The good news is it's near impossible to brick these phones. If you have a bad flash or get a bootloop (and it happens) as long as you can get into download mode you can fix it from Windows with Odin. You can even use Odin to go back to a stock ROM if you have problems.

First we need Odin, this is a software that will add an updated software to your phone from windows. Download the following files to a new folder on your desktop, call it JVU, pit, pda, phone and csc then select them in the appropriate sections in Odin (see screenie below) without your phone connected. Leave everything else in Odin as is with repartition ticked.

Odin1.png

You now need to get your phone in download mode with the three button press. Shut down your phone completely, then press and HOLD the following Keys in the same order: 1st volume down, 2nd the home key, and last the power button. If done right you will see a yellow triangle with an exclamation make with the label download mode. If you miss it and start booting pull the battery and try again. Plug it into the computer by usb and Odin should change to an added prompt (like screenie below) letting you know it recognises your phone. Click start in Odin and the process will begin. When complete your phone will reboot and will leave you with a newer JVU Gingerbread. Don't even bother setting it up, just shut the phone down after it boots once. Step one complete.

Odin2.png

The next step is to flash a better kernel that contains a better version of ClockWorkMod recovery (CWM), you'll use this to get to ICS and will use it lots for upgrades and backups. Download this Semaphore JVU kernel to your desktop (do not extract it). Close Odin and open it once again so it has no settings from before and select this Kernel rar file in the pda section (see below). Re-partition needs to be unticked. Connect your phone in download mode once again like above and flash with Odin. Your phone will now be rooted and have a new app called ROM Manager from which we can reboot to ClockWorkMod recovery. Step 2 complete. You're now ready to flash ICS.

Odin3.png

Now we need these two files, Build and Google apps. Download them locally and copy them with usb to the internal sd card on your phone (don't insert the external sd, it's best to do all flashes without it inserted). Use the Rom Manager app to reboot to CWM recovery mode. In recovery mode select install from zip and choose install zip from sd card (volume up and down to move up and down, power button to select). Install the build first, then the Gapps, then select reboot phone. The phone will take a long time to reboot. You are now on Teamhacksungs Cyanogen9 (CM9) Ice Cream Sandwich, Welcome :D

Now we're on ICS we can use CWM recovery to flash to a better ROM, we'll use the latest Slim (3.6 when writing this) that I posted before. For this we need 2 new files, base and essentials. Once again download them locally and add them to the phone internal sd. Reboot to CWM (you'll now have an option to reboot to recovery in the power shutdown on CM9). This time do a factory reset, then clear cache and in the advanced section do a dalvik cache clear. After this flash the base first, then essentials and reboot. On boot you will be on Slim ICS, enjoy your steaming fast phone.

I think that's it, if anyone spots any errors let me know.

Edit; just to add, after all the flashing is done and when you are on Slim, but before you set it up properly, reboot into CWM and do an internal sd card format in the mounts and storage section. I'd also do the external sd too when you add it, now is the time. This gives you a proper base going forward as the updates for Slim are fairly regular.

++ edit 27/09/12
    the build and gapps files are available from the Teamhacksung CM9 Xda thread
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=19713125&postcount=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭rameire

excellent PogMoThoin
    it has been a few months since my last update, and I believe I have never updated the phone to its potential.
    I have been thinking about updating recently due to all the talk about slim, and thanks to your post I shall be updating in the next few days.
    so thank you and I appreciate it.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

rameire wrote: »
    excellent PogMoThoin
    it has been a few months since my last update
    , and I believe I have never updated the phone to its potential.
    I have been thinking about updating recently due to all the talk about slim, and thanks to your post I shall be updating in the next few days.
    so thank you and I appreciate it.

Am I hearing confessions :D

Say 3 hail Marys and a glory be.......and get flashing that phone to its full potential :p

• Advertisement

How do i get the JVU folder as mentioned in the 2nd paragraph of that outstanding post on tutorial.

I done what you advised. But the files pit csc etc wont open

dubhoop wrote: »

You are opening them through Odin?

Edit: So where ever you downloaded them, direct to that folder through Odin, it will only see that file.

How do i get the JVU folder as mentioned in the 2nd paragraph of that outstanding post on tutorial.

You make a folder, it can be anywhere. Then put the 4 files I linked in the 2nd paragraph in there and select them in the appropriate sections with Odin.

Dropbox won't let me share a folder without zipping it, I didn't want to over complicate things by having you extract any files so the tutorial lists all files singly.

You don't open any of them, you just select them with Odin. Odin knows what to do with them as long as you select them in the right sections.

Just cleared cache and dalvik. Took 5 mins and I kept all apps and settings

I've done that and the phone is now stuck in a bootloop, any suggestions?

i got it done but now the phone wont switch off from airplane mode. any ideas what i can do to get it off.

Regards

Can you get to clockworkmod? Are you sure you flashed the right files, not the captivate or Galaxy S2 ones (i19100)?
    i got it done but now the phone wont switch off from airplane mode. any ideas what i can do to get it off.

Regards

Not sure what you mean, airplane mode is normal boot with no phone network.

How far into the guide did you get?

Can you get to clockworkmod? Are you sure you flashed the right files, not the captivate or Galaxy S2 ones (i19100)?

Not sure what you mean, airplane mode is normal boot with no phone network.

How far into the guide did you get?

Followed it all step by step. got the yellow box in odin then clicked the files into the relevant boxes etc. got the yellow triangle download thing on the phone connected it through odin hit start aload of stuff started happening in the message box in odin, the blue downlaod bar of phone went all the way but now it says i have no sim inserted and cant use the phone to make calls send texts etc. but i can use the wifi

Regards

First things first, try a reflash, it`s some time required in some cases...

Did you have your SIM/SD card out when you flashed it?

Followed it all step by step. got the yellow box in odin then clicked the files into the relevant boxes etc. got the yellow triangle download thing on the phone connected it through odin hit start aload of stuff started happening in the message box in odin, the blue downlaod bar of phone went all the way but now it says i have no sim inserted and cant use the phone to make calls send texts etc. but i can use the wifi

Thats fine, go to the next step. You can see in settings-->about phone your phone is on JVU gingerbread but keep going and you'll get ICS. It's worth it.

You'll not get phone network without a sim ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement