Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭Obskure

Hi all. Sorry for the nOOb question, but I'm in a bit of a bind!!
    My friend has a Galaxy S GT i9000. It is as slow as treacle. Refuses to do anything worthwhile as it is so slow.
    I am not new to android or flashing ROMS, customising etc... but I skipped the Galaxy S so have no real knowledge of the development path for this handset.
    Basically, what is the best ROM for speed? Needs to be suitable as a daily driver that will require little to no troubleshooting? Was thinking of CM9 but I believe there may be camera driver issues for this phone!

I would normally do the legwork myself, but I'm in the middle of exams and just want to sort this phone out once and for all!
    Thanks in advance

--Duplicate Post--

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Obskure wrote: »
    My friend has a Galaxy S GT i9000. It is as slow as treacle. Refuses to do anything worthwhile as it is so slow.
    I am not new to android or flashing ROMS, customising etc... but I skipped the Galaxy S so have no real knowledge of the development path for this handset.
    Basically, what is the best ROM for speed? Needs to be suitable as a daily driver that will require little to no troubleshooting? Was thinking of CM9 but I believe there may be camera driver issues for this phone!

I would normally do the legwork myself, but I'm in the middle of exams and just want to sort this phone out once and for all!
    Thanks in advance

I posted a full guide to flashing a few days ago. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78591599&postcount=4992

Version 3.7 of Slim is now available, replace the base and essentials in the last step, (the flash from Teamhacksung CM9 to Slim) with these ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Thanks in advance

I don't think there is anything wrong with Team ICSSGS rom but it is on ICS 4.0.3 and they haven't released the newer one yet. But I would recommend trying it out at least, plus it's easy to go from any other ICS rom when you are on it.

One of the guys here did a good tutorial a couple of pages back but this is a full tutorial by the team ICSSGS guys themselves http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1494493

I have gone from this Rom on to Slim ICS and I would definitely recommend giving it a try. Everything works I think except I'm having trouble with GPS but I've heard other guys have it working just fine.

Much appreciated! I take it you would recommend Slim over CM9? Better ICS etc.???

Much appreciated! I take it you would recommend Slim over CM9? Better ICS etc.???

Yes, it's a newer version of Android (4.0.4) and is being constantly updated (weekly). It's also like it says on the tin, very slim, and lightning fast.

I haven't tried CM9 so I couldn't comment. Slim is the most popular at the moment it seems. When Team ICSSGS put they're new one out I'll probably move back to that.

Well fair play to ye lads. That's me sorted alot faster than I thought. Will give it a shot 2moro evening and post results.
    Cheers

One more thing :D Will it pick up the sms centre no. & APN etc?
    PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Yes, it's a newer version of Android (4.0.4) and is being constantly updated (weekly). It's also like it says on the tin, very slim, and lightning fast.

I think they're saved to your sim card IIRC?

• Advertisement

One more thing :D Will it pick up the sms centre no. & APN etc?

Works for me but there's no guarantee it will work with your mobile provider. Back it up

Aren't APN settings freely available online at your providers website?

shizz wrote: »
    Aren't APN settings freely available online at your providers website?
    That they are, but time is of the essence here. I've had numerous android handsets, but I remember the Sensation gave me that bother before. Mighty have been the 3 Irl sim card though.

That they are, but time is of the essence here. I've had numerous android handsets, but I remember the Sensation gave me that bother before. Mighty have been the 3 Irl sim card though.

I regularly go from Ireland to England and am always switching the sim cards in the same phone. The settings have always been there for each phone so I'm guessing that they are saved to the sim card which makes sense.

I regularly go from Ireland to England and am always switching the sim cards in the same phone. The settings have always been there for each phone so I'm guessing that they are saved to the sim card which makes sense.

No, they're not. They are in whatever ROM your phone is running which is why some people have problems after they flash. It's all down to the ROM

Just back it up and you'll be fine. I've never had an APN problem with any of my flashes, but I have a backup on my PC I took ages ago.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    No, they're not. They are in whatever ROM your phone is running which is why some people have problems after they flash. It's all down to the ROM

Just back it up and you'll be fine. I've never had an APN problem with any of my flashes, but I have a backup on my PC I took ages ago.

Really? So the slim Rom has the settings to connect to the internet with Meteor/T-Mobile and as soon as I put in the Sim card it detects the Network and switches appropriately? :confused:

I didn't no either way I just assumed the settings were saved to the sim card.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭spiderjazz

I see on the Slim 3.7 changelog, that they're recommending a full wipe before install, due to significant framework changes http://www.slimroms.com/changelogdownloadlink.htm

Has anyone just done a straight flash over the last one, and if so how did it go?

I didn't do a full wipe and it was fine. Just do a nandroid back up in case of the worst.

Actually having a b*tch of a time getting the laptop to recognise the handset! Drivers up to date etc. I'm going to install Kies just to see. It's strange cos the battery is charging yet it's not appearing as drive in Win Explorer. USB Debug enabled, etc...

• Advertisement

Actually having a b*tch of a time getting the laptop to recognise the handset! Drivers up to date etc. I'm going to install Kies just to see. It's strange cos the battery is charging yet it's not appearing as drive in Win Explorer. USB Debug enabled, etc...

Is Odin not recognising it or what's wrong exactly? Are you connecting it in download mode?

EDIT: I'm an idiot

Correct. Odin not seeing the phone. Connected in download mode correctly.

So it's not saying added in the text box?

ID:COM is blank. Not showing up in device manager. Not showing as an external device or camera etc. I'm just going to restart the laptop so bare with me for a min

When you plug it in look down at the big white box labelled message and it should say added in there. Don't think it says anything in ID:COM until you do any flashing.

IIRC ID:COM should be yellow? Can't remember what it says and can't check right now I'm on linux sorry.

Just checked back at Pog's post yeah the box should be yellow and say something in there.

• Advertisement

If you have KIES installed Obskure Uninstall it as it plays havoc with Odin

Just restarted machine with Kies installed & it's not picking up the phone either. Can't be a driver issue. Stumped!!

Just restarted machine with Kies installed & it's not picking up the phone either. Can't be a driver issue. Stumped!!

With the phone turned on plug it in with USB debugging enabled. Does the USB symbol pop up on the phone?

With the phone turned on plug it in with USB debugging enabled. Does the USB symbol pop up on the phone?
    No. Doesn't pop up. Have changed USB settings to
    Ask on connection
    Kies only
    Mass storage
    No difference on any. Don't get connection notification

Install the driver I posted. If you already did, uninstall it and it after a reboot

• Advertisement

Yeah I would try Uninstalling Kies and the samsung Drivers then re-installing just the drivers like Pog said.

Uninstalling everything now. Will reboot and install just the mobile driver provided, 1.3.450. Back in 10 mins :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

If you're rooted and having problems getting odin to recognise your phone maybe this might be able to help somewhat.

I haven't used it ever but it might be worth a shot.

No joy lads. I did have an erroneous driver. Used iobit to uninstall. Restarted. Installed driver linked to by PogMoThoin. Still no joy either in download mode or as a mass storage device. Maybe it's a hardware issue. Don't have another machine to try it on until next week

Ste- wrote: »
    If you're rooted and having problems getting odin to recognise your phone maybe this might be able to help somewhat.

I haven't used it ever but it might be worth a shot.

Unfortunately, Not rooted. I can't even flash a kernel if I wanted to. No response at all from two different cables, 4 different ports; yet all work fine my own GNexus

What firmware version are you on at the minute.
    You might be able to do all this on the handset.

Try this samsung driver. Not sure if it is the same as the one you've been using but maybe it is worth a try.Driver.

2.1 rev 1

2.1 rev 1

Eclair then.

You should be able to root the phone if you google for z4root or z4mod.
    Then you might have to use this to get a newer kernel with a decent recovery or try teh modile odin plus to upgrade to a decent stock rom with good recovery. Maybe try one of darkys resurection roms. I think he had a decent recovery in that one.

If you flash a stock gb rom from mobile odin you will lose root and it's hard to get it back without odin. Maybe gingerbreak can help. without a pc connection you are very limited.

It's weird that KIES isn't even picking up the Phone though.

• Advertisement

That's what has me think it's a hardware prob. Yet the connection is good enough to charge the phone

That's what has me think it's a hardware prob. Yet the connection is good enough to charge the phone

Is the driver I gave you the same?

No. It's 1.4.103 The original driver is 1.3.405. No problem installing but still stuck with USB charge only. Going to perform a factory reset and see what happens

Allright lads, I'm out of time. It looks like it can't be seen as an external device by Windows 7 Ultimate x64. I'll give it a shot on XP 32 bit after the weekend. i just reset it there and it reverted to original language (Dutch) and still no joy. It is running faster though. Still not what I wanted. I never had to leave it at that before
    Cheers for all the help

Allright lads, I'm out of time. It looks like it can't be seen as an external device by Windows 7 Ultimate x64. I'll give it a shot on XP 32 bit after the weekend. i just reset it there and it reverted to original language (Dutch) and still no joy. It is running faster though. Still not what I wanted. I never had to leave it at that before
    Cheers for all the help

Sorry you can't get it working man but just one quick question, are you using the genuine Samsung cable that came with the phone? It seems like it wouldn't make much of a difference but there are posts all over the internet of this being a problem. Also if it isn't the genuine cable there is a possibility that it is just a cable which charges. Anyway I would try get my hands on a Samsung USB cable.

Fair point. I am using my own cable. i actually have two 2 different micro-USB cables. Both charge. I don't think the owner of the phone has the original. Will check
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

[Off Topic]

Word of advice, never buy a bloody HTC phone, or at least a Sensation, talk about a nightmare to get ROM`s onto it...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

lewis wrote: »
    [Off Topic]

Word of advice, never buy a bloody HTC phone, or at least a Sensation, talk about a nightmare to get ROM`s onto it...

[ignorance]
    I assumed it'd all be the same once you had CWM loaded onto it no?
    [/ignorance]

Or is that where the difficulty was?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

lewis wrote: »
    [Off Topic]

Really? that's disappointing. I was thinking about upgrading my phone in the next 8 months or so, and the new HTC one x was on my radar along with GS3 and whatever the next Nexus phone will be for Android 5.0

• Advertisement

I've had 3 HTC devices. original Desire, Desire HD and the Sensation as well as the SGS 2 and the Nexus. I never had a bit of bother getting S-off or rooting them. Once CWM is on there, you never have to touch the PC again, as you can download the ROMs to the handset and flash them in recovery

Advertisement