Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 MJPE

I did it with odin (the unofficial method). it's a noticeable different in speed so worth getting it on.
    What network are you with?

I have manage to upgrade to 2.2.1 through kies:). I am on O2 but the phone is factory unlocked

The phone is much faster now but it stills feel laggy in places

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

G1032 wrote: »
    For those of you on Darky's 9.2, what is your Quadrant score?

I know that the score is not the be all and end all but I'm a little bit disappointed with the speed of Darky's. There has been a little lag at times........when typing or when returning to home screen (icons load up one by one)

It's just not any slicker than the stock 2.2.1

Quadrant score for me is 1500

Should I have done a factory reset after installing darky's 9.2?? Did a reset before I installed it

My score is 1550 with voodoo lagfix enabled, not having any problems with Darkys 9.2, its a flyer and I got a good few widgets running. Do a titanium backup and flash it again, thats what Darky said to do if you have any problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

PMT,

I'm now fully converted to Darky's 9.2 and it's a real flyer. I haven't enabled Voodoo Lagfix yet but am getting 1519 on Quadrant without it although sometimes the homescreen icons and widgets can be slow to load. Not always, intermittently.

To enable Lagfix do I just boot into recovery and select Voodoo Lagfix?

Also, I Installed Rom Manager yesterday and flashed ClockWorkMod Recovery as I've read this can be very useful for managing custom ROM's. Do you use it? What can I do with it?

Lastly, you use Titanium backup. Is that better than MyBackupPro? I used MyBackUpPro before switching to Darky's ROM and the restore seemed to miss some of the applications.

Cheers for all your advice to date.

Ben

BenEadir wrote: »
    PMT,

I'm now fully converted to Darky's 9.2 and it's a real flyer. I haven't enabled Voodoo Lagfix yet but am getting 1519 on Quadrant without it although sometimes the homescreen icons and widgets can be slow to load. Not always, intermittently.

Are You running a live wallpaper? I've given up on these for this reason. Which Launcher are You using, I use the paid version of Launcher Pro and have no problems.
    To enable Lagfix do I just boot into recovery and select Voodoo Lagfix?

Yes, reboot to recovery, boot to clockwork select voodoo lagfix and enable both lagfix and system lagfix and then back out and reboot. It'll take about 10 mins to boot. Some people said they noticed no difference with or without lagfix, I noticed a fair difference.
    Also, I Installed Rom Manager yesterday and flashed ClockWorkMod Recovery as I've read this can be very useful for managing custom ROM's. Do you use it? What can I do with it?

You can update to the next Darkys without losing settings, I updated from 9.1 to 9.2 in 5mins, no backup. You can use the configurator in the market to set Your options for the new update before You flash it.
    Lastly, you use Titanium backup. Is that better than MyBackupPro? I used MyBackUpPro before switching to Darky's ROM and the restore seemed to miss some of the applications.

No idea if its better, I've never tried it, but Titanium will backup apps and settings also....keeps the Missis happy her Angry Birds saves don't disappear everytime I mess about.
    Cheers for all your advice to date.

Ben

NP Ben, glad to help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Bought my SGS a few days ago and wanted to unlock it. Its running froyo 2.2. I was having no success using the SGS unlock tool or the Galaxy S unlock app.

This morning I decided to root my phone. Done a few searches and decided to use the SuperOneClick method. It worked first time and is your phone is rooted in seconds.

Then to unlock the phone all I had to do was go back into the Galaxy S unlock app and run step 1 and 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭G1032

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    My score is 1550 with voodoo lagfix enabled, not having any problems with Darkys 9.2, its a flyer and I got a good few widgets running. Do a titanium backup and flash it again, thats what Darky said to do if you have any problems

I'll wait until the next installment of darkys. I'm sure it won't be far away. I'm only getting lag the odd time so it's not a major concern.

Edit: On second thoughts I might flash it again!! Do I need to disable Voodoo lagfix before flashing Darky's again???

G1032 wrote: »
    I'll wait until the next installment of darkys. I'm sure it won't be far away. I'm only getting lag the odd time so it's not a major concern.

Edit: On second thoughts I might flash it again!! Do I need to disable Voodoo lagfix before flashing Darky's again???

Not sure, I did anyways just to be safe.

Been looking into flashing a custom rom onto my phone and was just wondering whats the easiest way to back up all your data? What is your prefered methods? Seems to be a good few ways but I don't think they all restore your app and sms etc.

squared wrote: »
    Been looking into flashing a custom rom onto my phone and was just wondering whats the easiest way to back up all your data? What is your prefered methods? Seems to be a good few ways but I don't think they all restore your app and sms etc.

Get Titanium for Your apps and sms backup for texts. Take note of Your providers apn settings, I'm sure there's an app for it, I just google them after

Get Titanium for Your apps and sms backup for texts. Take note of Your providers apn settings, I'm sure there's an app for it, I just google them after
    And just one last question! And how do I make a backup of the stock firmware. Tried the Vol up+Menu+Power button trick but there is no backup option there.

• Advertisement

I didn't, just take note of which version it is so You can flash it back on. All official firmwares are available here: http://www.samfirmware.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

And just one last question! And how do I make a backup of the stock firmware. Tried the Vol up+Menu+Power button trick but there is no backup option there.

Rom Manager (from the market) will back up your ROM. May have to pay for this feature?

Squared,

APN Backup and restore from the market will take care of your APN backup - obviously :P

PMT,

Here's a weird thing. I have Darky's 9.2 ROM installed and it's rapid fast. I just ran quadrant on it and got a measly score of 1148. I immediately ran it again and got 1539!! WTF?? How can that be?

Also, I discovered that Darky's ROM must install with Voodoo Lagfix automatically turned on. I went into recovery today to enable it and it looked like it was enabled so I disabled it and sure enough the reboot took 10 minutes which it uninstalled the lagfix. Had to repeat the process to reinstall. 20 minutes of my life completely wasted!!!

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Dunno about 9.2 but 9.02 or 9.1 didn't have it enabled. Usually thought it was left disabled by default ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Squared,

APN Backup and restore from the market will take care of your APN backup - obviously :P

PMT,

Here's a weird thing. I have Darky's 9.2 ROM installed and it's rapid fast. I just ran quadrant on it and got a measly score of 1148. I immediately ran it again and got 1539!! WTF?? How can that be?

Also, I discovered that Darky's ROM must install with Voodoo Lagfix automatically turned on. I went into recovery today to enable it and it looked like it was enabled so I disabled it and sure enough the reboot took 10 minutes which it uninstalled the lagfix. Had to repeat the process to reinstall. 20 minutes of my life completely wasted!!!

Ben

and it was your fault

On the lag fix screen it says beneath "active this boot yes/no
    "active next boot"
    and a couple other debug things.

again. Your fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Anyone know??

Question folks, when I was on holiday and taking pictures with the phone, the GPS icon comes up on the pictures, I disabled the internet when I was away with the quick settings.. but it still recognised where I was taking the pics?

Will I be charged for data???

angel01 wrote: »
    Anyone know??

Question folks, when I was on holiday and taking pictures with the phone, the GPS icon comes up on the pictures, I disabled the internet when I was away with the quick settings.. but it still recognised where I was taking the pics?

Will I be charged for data???

Mostly the gps icon will be used for geotagging your pics. a very handy and nifty feature I find. Can locate where you took teh pictures. If you disabled your internet it shouldn't have cost you anything.

and it was your fault

On the lag fix screen it says beneath "active this boot yes/no
    "active next boot"
    and a couple other debug things.

again. Your fault.

Thanks for clarifying that Squeeonline, that's a load off my mind :rolleyes:

Ben
    PS You don't work for the Samaritans by any chance do you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,869 ✭✭✭statto25

Does anyone notice that once their battery goes under 10% the device slows down? Before charging mine last night I was messing about and widgets and apps were very slow to load.

I didn't, just take note of which version it is so You can flash it back on. All official firmwares are available here: http://www.samfirmware.com/

When you download the stock file its in .rar format. How can I make it into a .zip file without breaking the verification signature?(I think thats what its called)

I've ran into a problem. When I went to put darkys rom on i followed the instructions for changing the kernal and then flashing the rom. All went well except since I flashed the kernal I'm getting no signal. I've reloaded the apns and reflash a couple of times but no joy. Anyone else have this problem or can offer any advice?

• Advertisement

When you download the stock file its in .rar format. How can I make it into a .zip file without breaking the verification signature?(I think thats what its called)

When You download it You need to extract it. The .tar file is what You need for odin. The password is samfirmware.com iirc, check the site, it tells You.
    I've ran into a problem. When I went to put darkys rom on i followed the instructions for changing the kernal and then flashing the rom. All went well except since I flashed the kernal I'm getting no signal. I've reloaded the apns and reflash a couple of times but no joy. Anyone else have this problem or can offer any advice?

What modem did You use? Goto settings --> Wireless and Network --> Mobile Network Settings --> Network operators. see if Your operator shows up there.

I'd flash again but don't wipe, use the Darkys configurator in the market to set Your settings. Set it to no wipe and set modem to JPY, all Your apps and settings will keep.

When You download it You need to extract it. The .tar file is what You need for odin. The password is samfirmware.com iirc, check the site, it tells You.

What modem did You use? Goto settings --> Wireless and Network --> Mobile Network Settings --> Network operators. see if Your operator shows up there.

I'd flash again but don't wipe, use the Darkys configurator in the market to set Your settings. Set it to no wipe and set modem to JPY, all Your apps and settings will keep.

When I search for my operator it will show up but I'm not allowed access. I get a try again later message.

Modem is set to JPY if thats what you mean. Already wiped it in the process of trying to fix things. I'll give it one last go. Then I think I'm just gonna try get back to the stock firmware!

Update: No luck flashing it again, still emergency calls only. Also I tried a just mobile sim and it works fine, so its just the meteor sim thats not working. Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭56lcd

If I root my phone and install Darky's 9.2 will i be able to update to the official version of Gingerbread via Kies when does eventually become available.
    Also I tries to download z4root but Windows can't open this programme so has anyone got any ideas?

56lcd wrote: »
    If I root my phone and install Darky's 9.2 will i be able to update to the official version of Gingerbread via Kies when does eventually become available.
    Also I tries to download z4root but Windows can't open this programme so has anyone got any ideas?
    Not certain but I think you would have to flash the stock firmware again to allow kies update to 2.2.1.

z4root is an app. You install and open it on your phone.

Thanks for clarifying that Squeeonline, that's a load off my mind :rolleyes:

Ben
    PS You don't work for the Samaritans by any chance do you?

<mod snip - off topic removed>

To keep on topic,

Darkys 9.2 I am noticing increased battery life. Havent run proper tests but I think I'm getting about 5-6 hours more out of it than I was with the same usage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭G1032

Darkys 9.2 I am noticing increased battery life. Havent run proper tests but I think I'm getting about 5-6 hours more out of it than I was with the same usage.

I noticed this aswell after I first installed 9.2. But now, a few days later, battery is worse than it was with stock firmware. Just gotta charge it every night.

Squee,

Can't believe the Mod's clipped your post. Surely encouraging suicide is akin to encouraging ROM modding!!!

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Looks like our Dutch neighbours (product codes XEN) have received another 2.2.1 update - JS5 (I9000XWJS5). Discussion on XDA found here.

Think I'll wait a few days before flashing in case there's any problems.

Squee,

Can't believe the Mod's clipped your post. Surely encouraging suicide is akin to encouraging ROM modding!!!

Ben

I know right! I had to appeal to not get a week long ban! how would I help people if I were banned?

Darkyys 9.2 is definitely getting me loads more battery. After a few days now, I still have 40% going to bed (c. 15h of use). Far better than stock and previous Darkys. I love that girl!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

I know right! I had to appeal to not get a week long ban! how would I help people if I were banned?

Darkyys 9.2 is definitely getting me loads more battery. After a few days now, I still have 40% going to bed (c. 15h of use). Far better than stock and previous Darkys. I love that girl!

Darky is actually a guy... I thought otherwise, but his avatar pic is his girlfriend. :pac:

Darky is actually I guy... I thought otherwise, but his avatar pic is his girlfriend. :pac:

****. Still a great job. I had hoped that it was a girl, mix things up you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭AE86JAY

Hi, Im new to the forums I have a Galaxy S about 6 months now, I love it and hate it, Lately it has gone so laggy!! Also I have to turn it off and on again to just get signal sometimes,The wifi signal is just awful!! I regurlarly delete apps/games I dont use and clear cahces, I also have the advanced task killer and 3-4 times a day I run it to kill background tasks but its still sooooooo laggy its bugging me! even sometimes when I want to make a call I have to put my phone back in my pocket for 2-3 mins for it to be "ready" for me to make a call, I really hope Froyo sorts this out it was due what? like over 6 months ago now? I'm strongly thinking of selling and getting a Desire maybe?? Thoughts on this or has anyone experienced the same symptons of me?

AE86JAY wrote: »
    Hi, Im new to the forums I have a Galaxy S about 6 months now, I love it and hate it, Lately it has gone so laggy!! Also I have to turn it off and on again to just get signal sometimes,The wifi signal is just awful!! I regurlarly delete apps/games I dont use and clear cahces, I also have the advanced task killer and 3-4 times a day I run it to kill background tasks but its still sooooooo laggy its bugging me! even sometimes when I want to make a call I have to put my phone back in my pocket for 2-3 mins for it to be "ready" for me to make a call, I really hope Froyo sorts this out it was due what? like over 6 months ago now? I'm strongly thinking of selling and getting a Desire maybe?? Thoughts on this or has anyone experienced the same symptons of me?

What version of android is it running? get the latest update if there is one and do a factory reset.
    Stop using advanced task killer, this will fcuk up your phone, android runs better without one.
    Wifi signal could be just down to a channel change on your router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭cat_rant

Hi Folks,

First time posting in this forum. Got myself a Galaxy S 16gb on vodafone. Really happy with it so far. Running all my apps well no lag. Have an ap monitor for killing aps so as to conserve battery power and save data usage charges - all good.

My questions are as follows I have a tendancy to drop phones. It's a thing. I have it in a jelly case and screen protector and all. Is there any known weeknesses I should be aware of?

Also really wasn't happy with the insurance costs as part of my plan and wondering is there another way to insure your phone seperate to your service provider?

I also made sure to install 3Gwatchdog also so that I can check usage against billing. I haven't hooked it up to the laptop yet for dl-ing music fingers crossed all will go well on that front :D

Thanks in advance,

Cat_rant

Why do people use app killers and task managers? :confused:
    Android phones will actually run better without them, the processes you kill will most likely start up again straight away using cpu power instead of saving it.
    http://lifehacker.com/#!5650894/android-task-killers-explained-what-they-do-and-why-you-shouldnt-use-them

I do recommend Juice Defender however, it does save your battery without killing apps

• Advertisement

PMT, do you recommend Juice Defender Ultra or just the standard version and is it as useful on Darky's 9.2?

If using Ultra what sort of settings do you run to maximise battery? I had it running previouisly where it automatically turned off wi-fi and 3G as it saw fit but I use IM (What's App) quite a bit and the outcome was messages could be delayed up to 15 mins or until I turned on the screen. Kind of defetas the purpose of 'instant' messgaing.

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭cat_rant

Ok appologies bad choice of words I am actually using the task manager function to keep an eye on what aps I have running. It does tend to auto manage for most things. And I don't stop aps much.

Thanks for the link PogMoThoin interesting read. As a new Smartphone user it will take time for me to become familiar with the system and these functions help me manage in the mean time. If you have any feed back on the other questions I asked they would be appreciated.

Cheers

cat_rant.

PMT, do you recommend Juice Defender Ultra or just the standard version and is it as useful on Darky's 9.2?

If using Ultra what sort of settings do you run to maximise battery? I had it running previouisly where it automatically turned off wi-fi and 3G as it saw fit but I use IM (What's App) quite a bit and the outcome was messages could be delayed up to 15 mins or until I turned on the screen. Kind of defetas the purpose of 'instant' messgaing.

Ben

With the paid version you have full customization. I'm not seeing the need for Juice Defender at all with Darkys 9.2 though, its not as heavy on battery as 2.2.1 official. I'm not using it atm

For anyone not moving to the darky's side (get it? :D) - I updated to I9000XWJS5 without any problems.
    Haven't had it long enough to give a report but there appears to be a nice improvement in the GPS. Used it last night and this morning - it worked perfectly.

Also, since when is the Vlingo app any good? The in-car mode works very well!

For anyone not moving to the darky's side (get it? :D) - I updated to I9000XWJS5 without any problems.
    Haven't had it long enough to give a report but there appears to be a nice improvement in the GPS. Used it last night and this morning - it worked perfectly.

Also, since when is the Vlingo app any good? The in-car mode works very well!

You mean JS3? :confused:
    Darkys 9.3 is gonna be based on JS5, which only came out 2 days ago, or are you running the beta?

• Advertisement

Not sure what you're asking? :confused:

JS5 is available on samfirmware.com (not darky's version)
    You mean JS3? :confused:
    Darkys 9.3 is gonna be based on JS5, which only came out 2 days ago, or are you running the beta?

JS5 was released to teh Netherlands a few days ago.
    Aparently Kies 2 only ? The hacked older Kies doesn't work for it ?

Still sticking to Darkys 9.2 much much better now my battery seems to have stablised. Hopefully anyway.

Ste-, yep just released for product code 'XEN' I believe.

I just updated using Odin. Don't bother with KIES anymore, so can't confirm if it's KIES 2.0 only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Very basic question here folks but what browser are you guys using on the phone?
    I've tried Opera and Mozilla but they weren't great.
    However, the default one has been absolutely awful recently. It's constantly frezing and crashing and I'm sick to death of it at this stage.

Have you tried Dolpin Browser HD? Available for free in the market.

Also, what version of android are you using?
    Heroditas wrote: »
    Very basic question here folks but what browser are you guys using on the phone?
    I've tried Opera and Mozilla but they weren't great.
    However, the default one has been absolutely awful recently. It's constantly frezing and crashing and I'm sick to death of it at this stage.

I use opera mini. Fast and quick but no flash and reformats pages but it gets me my info quick. If I need flash or anything I usually go for Dolphin HD.

I installed the firefox beta the other day and my phone went a bit mad. quickly uninstalled it. Battery drained quickly and it felt slower overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I wasn't too keen on Opera mini. I didn't like the way it doesn't zoom in and customize the view when you double tap the screen.

I have Froyo (2.2) installed on the phone.

Might try Dolphin. Thanks.

I have Dolphin HD, I use the xmarks and lastpass plugins for the bookmarks and passwords sync from my other pc's, but I don't use Dolphin as my default browser. Dolphin is a great full featured browser just far too slow compared to the default one

Opera has no flash which is the killer for me

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭dermo1990

Hey, i have been trying to get kies 2.0 working on my laptop,, but every time i start up the program, it crashes. I'm running this on Windows 7 Professional 64 bit and I'm not quite sure what's wrong. I've tried running it with admin privelages and tried the compatibility mode with no luck....Could anyone help with this?

dermo1990 wrote: »
    Hey, i have been trying to get kies 2.0 working on my laptop,, but every time i start up the program, it crashes. I'm running this on Windows 7 Professional 64 bit and I'm not quite sure what's wrong. I've tried running it with admin privelages and tried the compatibility mode with no luck....Could anyone help with this?

Kies only works right on 32 bit windows, borrow someones laptop

• Advertisement
Advertisement