Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

BenEadir wrote: »
    So what do people think about the new Shiny SGS 2 unveiled at MWC today? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQAiNkqIYWM

Ben

They seem to have made a good few improvements with the S2 but it's just too damn big! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭moggser

small problem,

the ring tone volume keeps reseting itself to a lower volume level and also i have driving mode on .i.e where it calls out the name of the person calling you etc and that also resets its self every now and then and it was funy when it happened once or twice i giggled but now im grinding me theef and geting uber annoyed anyone got a idea why thats going on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭G1032

budgemook wrote: »
    I'm on stock 2.2 with voodoo lagfix.

Anyways, I'm going to give it a whirl this weekend as I haven't much on. I just have one last question before I do it.

So I know I can back up my apps and all that. I have some from the market and 2 from gameloft. I'll copy the apks for the gameloft one and hopefully that'll be okay. My question is about the Samsung Apps. I use some of them and find that they are the best working apps on the phone. I'd like to still have access to them in case some new decent ones come out. Will I have access when using Darkys 9.2?

Thanks

Yep, you will still have them. There may be an option in the Darky ROM configurator that allows you to install Samsung apps or not. Not sure bout that but you can easily check it out. I'm on Darky's 9.2 and have all the samsung apps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭budgemook

G1032 wrote: »
    Yep, you will still have them. There may be an option in the Darky ROM configurator that allows you to install Samsung apps or not. Not sure bout that but you can easily check it out. I'm on Darky's 9.2 and have all the samsung apps

Cheers mate, will be upgrading to Darkys 9.2 this weekend so. Hopefully it's as good as everyone is saying

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭AE86JAY

Ok, Update,

I'm trying to boot my phone in recovery but its not working. As I'm trying to root it.

I'm holding volume down, home and power on but it just turns on normally any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭reb73

AE86JAY wrote: »
    Ok, Update,

I'm trying to boot my phone in recovery but its not working. As I'm trying to root it.

I'm holding volume down, home and power on but it just turns on normally any ideas?

Recovery is volume up + home + power! The combination you are using should be booting the phone is firmware download (from pc) mode.. Make sure you press and hold the volume + home buttons before pressing the power button.

If you still can't get the 3 button combination working, chances are you may have a problem with the SBL (Secondary Boot Loader) in your handset.. A tricky hack is detailed here

I give up. This is to complicated for me I'm afraid I'm gonna brick it and it will be out of warranty then,

So far I can see the contents of the phone on my pc, I connected over wifi as I cant find my USB cable, My phone will not boot in recovery mode no matter what way I do it and also I cannot access any of the files in the right side panel its like there locked or something, I was able to drag/drop update.zip to the sdcard folder but this is as far as I am at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I give up. This is to complicated for me I'm afraid I'm gonna brick it and it will be out of warranty then,

So far I can see the contents of the phone on my pc, I connected over wifi as I cant find my USB cable, My phone will not boot in recovery mode no matter what way I do it and also I cannot access any of the files in the right side panel its like there locked or something, I was able to drag/drop update.zip to the sdcard folder but this is as far as I am at the moment.

What part of the country are you in btw?

Ghandee wrote: »
    What part of the country are you in btw?
    Tullamore, Offaly.

I have the update.zip file on my internal sdcard and also one of darky's rom so it appears if I'm thinking right I just need to boot my phone into recovery and load them from there right? Well is there a fix for the 3-button combo without using Odin? As I've no cable?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

budgemook wrote: »
    I'm on stock 2.2 with voodoo lagfix.

My question is about the Samsung Apps. I use some of them and find that they are the best working apps on the phone. I'd like to still have access to them in case some new decent ones come out. Will I have access when using Darkys 9.2?

Thanks

Yes, in Darky`s config you can select if you want Samsung apps flashed, as to why you would, I never used any of Samsungs apps.

Sometime it does`nt even matter what way you do the 3 button combo, I just press them all at the same time,wait til Samsung screen pops up and release them and Bob`s you mammy!!
    You might be on 3e, which I think does`nt have the 3button combo, but I`m not a 100% on that one??

Has anyone who is on O2 able to send and receive MMS?
    No matter what way I do it I cant get it sorted, had O2 send me APN settings and also tried the ones that are default on Darky`s 9.2???

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭itsnotmyfault

lewis wrote: »
    Has anyone who is on O2 able to send and receive MMS?
    No matter what way I do it I cant get it sorted, had O2 send me APN settings and also tried the ones that are default on Darky`s 9.2???

I'm with meteor and have given up hope of getting MMS messages working. They sent me the service messages or whatever they are but still don't work so i'd be looking for help with this on meteor. Cheers!

Its funny tough you`d have no problems if you had a phone that is 5 years old sending MMS, which I had, but these smart phones cant do it, why even had MMS there if it cant be used?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

I think its more due to the fact of incorrect settings or settings that dont even exist. 5 Years ago they were preconfigured and no one touched them :) no flashing or tinkering. MMS problems are quite common across custom roms :P Mainly to the fact of lack of configuration

Still a load of bollox, lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

lewis wrote: »
    Still a load of bollox, lol

pfft mms, hey the 90's called etc.

I cant think of why, if you had a phone like this, you'd want to send an mms. maybe that's just me.

pfft mms, hey the 90's called etc.

I cant think of why, if you had a phone like this, you'd want to send an mms. maybe that's just me.

Send an email :) Atleast you can send bigger files than hehe

Send an email :) Atleast you can send bigger files than hehe

even email are a bit limited. Today, it's all about the linkage! People link on facebook and twitter and love it.

• Advertisement

even email are a bit limited. Today, it's all about the linkage! People link on facebook and twitter and love it.

Probably the best point you could make :) Forgot about that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Scotty # wrote: »
    Don't know if it's because the guy is holding it in his right hand and so closer to the camera but it looks huge compared to the SGS1. I like that it has a better camera and has a flash but I think it's verging on too big. I primarily use mine as a phone (funnily enough!) and there's only so big a device you want to be holding up to your ear.

For me, on the video, it is too big as well.. stick with my SGS 1 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Anyone upgraded to Darky's 9.3? Comments/Feedback?

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Anyone upgraded to Darky's 9.3? Comments/Feedback?

Ben

Doing it tonight.

moggser wrote: »
    small problem,

the ring tone volume keeps reseting itself to a lower volume level and also i have driving mode on .i.e where it calls out the name of the person calling you etc and that also resets its self every now and then and it was funy when it happened once or twice i giggled but now im grinding me theef and geting uber annoyed anyone got a idea why thats going on?

anyone??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

moggser, that's happened to me a few times as well. Not enough to bother me, or give time to it. If you find out why... I'd be interested to know. Cheers BN.

• Advertisement

it happen's also when the phone is powered down every so often im sure i'll figure it out

Hi all,

I've just started using iMapMyRun from the market and need an armband to hold the SGS when out running? Can anyone recommend one & a place to get it, preferably online?

Cheers,

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭NoseyMike2010

Hi all,

I've just started using iMapMyRun from the market and need an armband to hold the SGS when out running? Can anyone recommend one & a place to get it, preferably online?

Cheers,

Ben

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sports-Gym-Jogging-Armband-Samsung-Galaxy-S-i9000-/350439991854?pt=UK_MobilePhones_MobilePhonesCasesPouches&hash=item5197d9ea2e

It comes highly recommended. I have one and I am very pleased with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Raoul

So whats the best cover for the phone?? Or is the phone ok without one?

I got a zagg invisible shield, had ones before and no trouble, but its not great. The amount of dust that is now stuck between the screen and the cover is unreal and also there is something wrong with the cover itself and there is a tiny line which appears blue or like dead pixels on the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I have a silicon one, a rubber one, and a leather one... I find the rubber one the best. Very handy to get in and out of when getting in the car etc, anti slip, and it's nice and soft if knocked off anything.

I bought one of the bundle packs on ebay, screen protectors, 3x covers, car holder, car charger, usb, cloth, all for €15 or something silly like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Raoul

I have a silicon one, a rubber one, and a leather one... I find the rubber one the best. Very handy to get in and out of when getting in the car etc, anti slip, and it's nice and soft if knocked off anything.

I bought one of the bundle packs on ebay, screen protectors, 3x covers, car holder, car charger, usb, cloth, all for €15 or something silly like that.

Any linkage to the one you got? Cant seem to find that deal on ebay.

I am seriously considering just doing without anything. Is that a stupid idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

I don't use any cover or screen protector. No scratches since September and I've dropped few times with no issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Ok so yesterday morning I had my alarm set and woke up before the alarm, so switched the alarm off AND deleted it.

5 mins later, the alarm still went off.

Is this a bug or have I missed something?

Anyone?

Anyone?
    Do you have an alarm app? Did you have that set AND you stock clock alarm?

Ste- wrote: »
    Doing it tonight.

Well Ste, any joy? Can you give us an update, pro's/con's??

Ben

Yeah did it first time with no wipe but something happened with my text notification so I ended up doing it again with a wipe.
    Went smoothly enough. Same modem, same kernel so there wasn't too much to flash. Battery life seems a little better than normal. I am getting 2 days or so now with my medium usage. Have Tasker set to connect to the net when an app needs to.
    The new lockscreen is nice. And you have to choose the circular battery icon for 9.3.
    Not much else I can see. It's as stable as the rest of Darkys releases. on for 11 hours down to 79%. I did have it in Aerplane mode from 3 to 8 tho.

Any other questions ?

Ste- wrote: »
    Yeah did it first time with no wipe but something happened with my text notification so I ended up doing it again with a wipe.
    Went smoothly enough. Same modem, same kernel so there wasn't too much to flash. Battery life seems a little better than normal. I am getting 2 days or so now with my medium usage. Have Tasker set to connect to the net when an app needs to.
    The new lockscreen is nice. And you have to choose the circular battery icon for 9.3.
    Not much else I can see. It's as stable as the rest of Darkys releases. on for 11 hours down to 79%. I did have it in Aerplane mode from 3 to 8 tho.

Any other questions ?

Thanks Ste, if 9.3 Stable is released by the weekend I'll probably upgrade to it. Only other questions are in relation to Tasker. How do you set up a profile to connect to the web when it needs to? I use What's APP IM which by definition is always connected to the web in order to 'instantly' receive messages? (I only use it for family and therefore leave it 'always on'). I assume from what you say that the Tasker profile you set up has Data Network Mode turned off as well as wi-fi in between connecting as your apps require?

Have you tried Juice Defender at all instead of Tasker?

Ben

Thanks Ste, if 9.3 Stable is released by the weekend I'll probably upgrade to it. Only other questions are in relation to Tasker. How do you set up a profile to connect to the web when it needs to? I use What's APP IM which by definition is always connected to the web in order to 'instantly' receive messages? (I only use it for family and therefore leave it 'always on'). I assume from what you say that the Tasker profile you set up has Data Network Mode turned off as well as wi-fi in between connecting as your apps require?

Ben

Flashed 9.3b last night. Seems fine, I dont like the new dialer theme but that is such a minor complaint! GPS locks 7 or 8 satellites in less than 10 seconds and previously took 30. Quadrant score isnt has high but as I keep on reading, that doesnt matter a toss. No lag at all, some nice new GUI features (new lock screens, vibration logo etc)

I think when a 2.3 version comes out I'll do a wipe upgrade to have everything nice and clean with no leftovers. As soon as I get money into my account next week Darky will be getting a donation from me! He has made my phone worth the money I paid for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Thanks Ste, if 9.3 Stable is released by the weekend I'll probably upgrade to it

Darky posted yesterday that he was away till sat.

Myself I'm waiting for it to go stable, I use launcher pro and I've seen 2 people post about problems with it and non wiping the beta, I don't feel like wiping yet. So hopefully early next week.

• Advertisement

Ben

Tried Juice Defender but didn't like it and went back to Tasker.
    Find it gives me the best battery life and have profiles to higher the brightness to full and half the sound when games open and upon exit to restore my settings.

I know there's an easy way I used from a site but I can't find the link now.
    Hopefully you should be able to follow my steps.

It uses apndroid. So you'll need that.
    Select New
    click ok to name or whatever
    click application. select the application(s) that need net access.
    Select Done
    then hit new task
    hit ok or rename task
    then click the cross 
    then select net
    then mobile data APN
    enable
    then done
    then select where it should say mobile data APN On on the right hand side of the screen
    and add exit task
    new task or rename
    select cross
    net
    Mobile Data APN
    select done
    then done again
    then apply

Also it does take about 2 to 3 seconds to activate the profile and the net to kick in but the savings in battery life I think are worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

is it just me that thinks the coverage isnt great on this phone? its hard to hear people when on a call.

is it just me that thinks the coverage isnt great on this phone? its hard to hear people when on a call.

Just you!! I'm with Meteor and coverage is very good. Actually much better than the coverage my wife is getting with her iPhone and Vodafone.

So flashed Darky's 9.3 earlier today. Didn't wipe.
    No issues so far, except what seems like excessive battery drain. I have turned phone off now and and going to charge it again and then bump charge it and will let you know tomorrow how the battery is.
    Thumbs up for the new launcher. I was really confined to the old TWLauncher because of daily random shut downs when using either LauncherPro or ADW.
    So all in all well happy with 9.3 so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 daber

I've noticed that when sending a long text messages after three pages it automatically changes to a multimedia message, is there anyway of changing this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Do you have an alarm app? Did you have that set AND you stock clock alarm?

Nope, just the stock alarm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,869 ✭✭✭statto25

Raoul wrote: »
    Any linkage to the one you got? Cant seem to find that deal on ebay.

I am seriously considering just doing without anything. Is that a stupid idea?

I have a just a plastic screen protector and nothing else. I find the battery cover is gettin a little scratched but nothing major. When it gets pretty bad I will just buy another one off ebay. The are about €15 delivered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Craigels

my notification sticks at times does that happen to any of ye its very annoying also when will 2.3 be available through kies i have tried a few times but it telling me no update available. my phone has become very buggy over the last week and keeps freezing and force closing alot of apps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Nope, just the stock alarm.

Hey, I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago, I had set an alarm to go off Monday to Friday but on the Wednesday of one week I deleted the alarm, it still went off on Thursday and Friday of that week, even though it didn't exist on the phone!

Never found out why but was thinking that maybe the OS saves the alarm as a calender reminder and as such goes off even when it is deleted, if anyone else has an explanation I'd really like to know.

Tis a strange one though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭budgemook

Quick question,

Just installed Darkys 9.2 ROM but can't find the USB settings now.

Can anyone tell me where they are?

Stupid question probably

Advertisement