Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭budgemook

Okay,

I got the ressurection.zip onto the phone.

On Darkys 9.2 now anyways, looks great. One thing though, I did deviate slightly from the instructions.

It said I should disable Voodoo, so I did it as I know how but adding disable-voodoo folder in the Voodoo folder. The guide said to disable it through recovery mode.

So after I got everything working I noticed the disable-voodoo folder was still there. I deleted that and then rebooted. Voodoo went installing again (y'know, the womans voice telling me it was being installed).

Is that a problem? Should I disable Voodoo again or anything or is it okay?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

daber wrote: »
    I've noticed that when sending a long text messages after three pages it automatically changes to a multimedia message, is there anyway of changing this?

Yeah, try call the person your texting, lol
    budgemook wrote: »
    Okay,

I got the ressurection.zip onto the phone.

On Darkys 9.2 now anyways, looks great. One thing though, I did deviate slightly from the instructions.

It said I should disable Voodoo, so I did it as I know how but adding disable-voodoo folder in the Voodoo folder. The guide said to disable it through recovery mode.

So after I got everything working I noticed the disable-voodoo folder was still there. I deleted that and then rebooted. Voodoo went installing again (y'know, the womans voice telling me it was being installed).

Is that a problem? Should I disable Voodoo again or anything or is it okay?

Thanks

How is your phone doing, is there lag, is it stable, any FC`s?

lewis wrote: »
    Yeah, try call the person your texting, lol

How is your phone doing, is there lag, is it stable, any FC`s?

Seems to be going fine at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Yep it does indeed. I just have the USB wire dangling over my dash board (I have the cradle on the right most air vent). Pop the phone in the cradle and attach the charger. Bingo. :D

Now for some reason, the phone is recognising the charger as a computer. Not sure if it's the charger or 2.2.1 JS3. I haven't bothered to figure out why yet.

Got my in car mount thing today, put it together clipped it into the vent but it's not very stable as the weight of it pulls the vent down to it's lowest position and it just flaps around a bit. could you post a picture of how you did yours?!

Cheers.

Seems to be going fine at the moment

Well if it aint broke dont mess with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Thanks Noisy, I've ordered it. There are similar looking sports holders for less than half the price elsewhere on eBay but they don't look as solid. At least I hope they're not!!

Ben

Ok, have one more problem. I changed the wall paper after upgrading to darkys rom but now I cant get the old one back. When I try change it it will only allow me to select a segment of it. Annoying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Ok, have one more problem. I changed the wall paper after upgrading to darkys rom but now I cant get the old one back. When I try change it it will only allow me to select a segment of it. Annoying!

Pinch zoom and make that section bigger

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Pinch zoom and make that section bigger

Was trying that but it hits a max which isn't the whole image. Annoyed because really liked the map image the way it was

Was trying that but it hits a max which isn't the whole image. Annoyed because really liked the map image the way it was

Got it working in the end, not sure what was going wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

anyone know the hassle/cost of getting the front panel replaced on the sgs? Mine got a bit scratched. Screen is perfect, just the glass. Its still perfectly usable, just annoying depending on the angle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Anyone else having issus with Android market recently?
    The app isn't working on the phone and even when I go to the website via the browser and download apps that way, the phone vibrates and says i's forcing the downloader to close.

Heroditas wrote: »
    The app isn't working on the phone and even when I go to the website via the browser and download apps that way, the phone vibrates and says i's forcing the downloader to close.

No problems at all here.

Ste- wrote: »
    Tried Juice Defender but didn't like it and went back to Tasker.
    Find it gives me the best battery life and have profiles to higher the brightness to full and half the sound when games open and upon exit to restore my settings.

I know there's an easy way I used from a site but I can't find the link now.
    Hopefully you should be able to follow my steps.

It uses apndroid. So you'll need that.
    Select New
    click ok to name or whatever
    click application. select the application(s) that need net access.
    Select Done
    then hit new task
    hit ok or rename task
    then click the cross 
    then select net
    then mobile data APN
    enable
    then done
    then select where it should say mobile data APN On on the right hand side of the screen
    and add exit task
    new task or rename
    select cross
    net
    Mobile Data APN
    select done
    then done again
    then apply

Also it does take about 2 to 3 seconds to activate the profile and the net to kick in but the savings in battery life I think are worth it.

Thanks Ste, really appreciate the effort. I'll give that a go at the weekend. I find Tasker very hard to get my head around but I'll try and persist.

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Get wallaby from the market will let you use the whole image ;)

BenEadir wrote: »
    Thanks Ste, really appreciate the effort. I'll give that a go at the weekend. I find Tasker very hard to get my head around but I'll try and persist.

Ben

No bothers it is difficult at the start to work with but once you get the hang of it the power of it is amazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Took a couple of pics this morning - I'll post them up later.
    No problems with the unit here.
    Got my in car mount thing today, put it together clipped it into the vent but it's not very stable as the weight of it pulls the vent down to it's lowest position and it just flaps around a bit. could you post a picture of how you did yours?!

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

DrZeuss wrote: »
    Hey, I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago, I had set an alarm to go off Monday to Friday but on the Wednesday of one week I deleted the alarm, it still went off on Thursday and Friday of that week, even though it didn't exist on the phone!

Never found out why but was thinking that maybe the OS saves the alarm as a calender reminder and as such goes off even when it is deleted, if anyone else has an explanation I'd really like to know.

Tis a strange one though.

Happened again this morning. Tis a pain in the 'nads to be honest.

I know it's no solution but what if you had the alarm setup but just disabled ?
    Would it still go off ?

Took a couple of pics this morning - I'll post them up later.
    No problems with the unit here.

I bodged a fix for mine but it's still not 100% stable, fine for taking and making a call which I suppose is all you want from it anyway. I'd just be interested to see how you attached yours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

@Rowley - attached are a couple of images. Let me know if that's enough.

I bodged a fix for mine but it's still not 100% stable, fine for taking and making a call which I suppose is all you want from it anyway. I'd just be interested to see how you attached yours.

Cheers. That's grand, I think mine is a different model though, it surrounds the phone at all corners.

Managed to get it affixed but the vent isn't big enough to take the support legs.

My HTC 1m recharging cable came aswell today from Deal Extreme so will have the dash of the car ripped out anyway this evening rigging up a DIY in car charger with cradle!

Heroditas wrote: »

This maybe a simple fix, but have you tried installing it again?

On darkys rom 9.2 now and it's just amazing. Really makes the phone feel like a phone this price should. Fantastic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

On darkys rom 9.2 now and it's just amazing. Really makes the phone feel like a phone this price should. Fantastic!

9.3 is even smoother again. Plus there is a new launcher which is better than the TWLauncher.

HELL YEAH, can you imagine if there was no place like XDA and such, then these phones would`nt be worth there price..

G1032 wrote: »
    9.3 is even smoother again. Plus there is a new launcher which is better than the TWLauncher.
    Is upgrade more straightforward than first time upgrade? Do I need to factory reset?
    lewis wrote: »
    HELL YEAH, can you imagine if there was no place like XDA and such, then these phones would`nt be worth there price..

Shame samsung can't get it like this out of the box but the reason I chose android over iphone is because I like to tinker

And I'm just using launcher actually. Prefer it.

I`m not one for beta`s, I tend to wait until the stable version comes out, but if its trimmed down more than 9.2 I`ll be jizzin in me jocks!!

• Advertisement

Bear I bought that car dock on you're recommendation and it's seriously cr*p. Really flimsy and not at all stable, at least in my air vents!!

Not blaming you though, it obviously works for you. :D

I bought this from the US and it's the mutts nuts. Simple, solid and effective. I'd give it a 10 out of 10.

Ben

BenEadir wrote: »
    Bear I bought that car dock on you're recommendation and it's seriously cr*p. Really flimsy and not at all stable, at least in my air vents!!

Not blaming you though, it obviously works for you. :D

I bought this from the US and it's the mutts nuts. Simple, solid and effective. I'd give it a 10 out of 10.

Ben

No linky?

I think we got the same one Ben, did you have a spare small plastic piece?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

No problems at all here.

Eventually got it working by going into

applications -> manage applications

I uninstalled the updates and it restored it to the factory version.
    Working properly again.
    Weird!

No linky?

I think we got the same one Ben, did you have a spare small plastic piece?

Sorry Rowley, here's the US shop link - http://store.tetrax.us. The right model for a smart phone is the X-way. Unfortunately they don't ship outside the US so you have to get it delivered to someone you know in the US who can ship it onto you. Well worth it IMHO!

Ben

Is upgrade more straightforward than first time upgrade? Do I need to factory reset?

Upgrade couldn't be easier...........!!

Download Darky's Configurator from the Market.
    Select what options you want on the configurator. Choose No wipe if you don't want factory reset. For 9.3 choose circular battery.

Download the ROM file. That'll be a big file, 240mb or so. Copy to your Internal SD card.

Turn off phone and charge until 100%. I always bump charge before a ROM flash.

After fully charged, boot into recovery mode.
    Choose Install Zip from SD card
    Then choose zip from Sd card and select the ROM file.

Thats it.
    First boot up will take a good while so don't worry.

See links below........
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=814091
    http://darky.ficeto.com/community/index.php?threads/guide-how-to-upgrade-on-darkys-rom.318/

Upgrade couldn't be easier...........!!

Download Darky's Configurator from the Market.
    Select what options you want on the configurator. Choose No wipe if you don't want factory reset. For 9.3 choose circular battery.

Download the ROM file. That'll be a big file, 240mb or so. Copy to your SD card.

Turn off phone and charge until 100%. I always bump charge before a ROM flash.

After fully charged, boot into recovery mode.
    Choose Install Zip from SD card
    Then choose zip from Sd card and select the ROM file.

Thats it.
    First boot up will take a good while so don't worry.

See links below........
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=814091
    http://darky.ficeto.com/community/index.php?threads/guide-how-to-upgrade-on-darkys-rom.318/

You forgot the bit where you disable lagfixes in CWM before you flash

• Advertisement

You forgot the bit where you disable lagfixes in CWM before you flash

No, I didn't forget. He has just flashed Darky's 9.2. If you upgrade to a newer version of Darky's then there is no need to disable the lagfix..........................Unless he is using a lagfix not provided in the Darky's ROM, which I doubt very much!!
    I didn't disable VooDoo before I flashed to 9.3. I have not had a single issue so far.
    I used to get a screen freeze 2 or 3 times a day with 9.2 but I think that was down to LauncherPro. Don't have LauncherPro now and phone has never run better.

G1032,

Minor point but it might be worth correcting your post to specify that the ROM must be copied to your Internal SD card. Most people relate "SD Card" with the external one.

My tuppence worth.

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Hello people in the know,

I'm new to Android (previous smart phone ran on the horrible Windows Mobile 6.5 )and Galaxy S so have a question you may help me with, I've read through a lot of this thread but haven't seen this answered so excuse me if it already has.

I'm with O2 so

1. 3G, I have 'H' when not connected to my wireless network and not 3G. Now I see no reference to this in the user manual, would I be right in assuming that this is HSDPA ?

2. When I'm not connected to a broadband connection I don't want my apps such as email continuously checking for updates over 3G or whatever, will switching off "Data network mode" do this for me ? The only app that seems to complain about this being switch off actually is the Yahoo email app.

I'll probably have lots more over time but I haven't had a chance to play around with it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

ThisRegard wrote: »

I'm new to Android (previous smart phone ran on the horrible Windows Mobile 6.5 )and Galaxy S so have a question you may help me with, I've read through a lot of this thread but haven't seen this answered so excuse me if it already has.

I'm with O2 so

1. 3G, I have 'H' when not connected to my wireless network and not 3G. Now I see no reference to this in the user manual, would I be right in assuming that this is HSDPA ?

2. When I'm not connected to a broadband connection I don't want my apps such as email continuously checking for updates over 3G or whatever, will switching off "Data network mode" do this for me ? The only app that seems to complain about this being switch off actually is the Yahoo email app.

I'll probably have lots more over time but I haven't had a chance to play around with it yet.

2. Yes, but a more convenient way to do it is to download the "APN on/off" widget from the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Cheers for that Johnny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Anyone using AVG on their phone? Am suspicious of it as the PC version became too bulky and affected performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Anyone using AVG on their phone? Am suspicious of it as the PC version became too bulky and affected performance.

I'm really sure if it is necessary to have antivirus on your phone yet. Just down download stupid things like wallpaper apps or dodgy looking apps from outside of the market.

Redsoxfan wrote: »

Why would you need an antivirus? Only Windows gets viruses

ThisRegard wrote: »

I'm with O2 so

1. Yes, this is HSDPA
    2. If you don't want your email accounts to sync then go to Settings > Accounts and Sync and untick the Auto-sync box. If you don't want other apps to sync then untick the background data box just above the Auto-Sync box. Alternatively you can go to the settings in each individual app and set the update frequency to manual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jay_fin

hi im new to all this i got myself a new samsung galaxy s i9000 but its locked to vodafone and i need too get it unlocked i have gone threw this thread but i dont fully understand how to do it is there anyone that can help me please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭boardswalker

Why would you need an antivirus? Only Windows gets viruses

There have already been a couple of trojans on androids

See this
    http://thetechjournal.com/electronics/mobile/android-phones-are-infected-by-trojan-virus.xhtml
    or this http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/219816/android_trojan_is_bundled_in_repackaged_apps.html

Lookout seems to be recommended and there's a free version.

jay_fin wrote: »
    hi im new to all this i got myself a new samsung galaxy s i9000 but its locked to vodafone and i need too get it unlocked i have gone threw this thread but i dont fully understand how to do it is there anyone that can help me please?

Try this man, have a read through it and see if your up for it...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=761045

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Craigels

has anyone updated to 2.3 through kies yet ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

jay_fin wrote: »

You will firstly need a vodafone sim and then get onto the android market and use SGS unlock and this should give you the unlock code for your phone. Put back in the sim you want and enter the code

BTW this worked for me, first time and no hassle. SO so so easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Craigels wrote: »
    has anyone updated to 2.3 through kies yet ?

Did we even get 2.2.1 yet?

EDIT: I'm on Three so they may have not passed it on...

• Advertisement
Advertisement