Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

god's toy wrote: »
    Did we even get 2.2.1 yet?

EDIT: I'm on Three so they may have not passed it on...

Why wait, its available for weeks on http://samfirmware.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Why wait, its available for weeks on http://samfirmware.com/

On three?

I've got one of those phones that wont go into the three button recovery mode so I never tested anything outside the Three update just in case it all went wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Hi Ben, working great here. Cheap and perfect for what I want.
    Not flimsy at all. I guess it depends on your air vents?

Anyway, glad you found another more suitable one.
    BenEadir wrote: »
    Bear I bought that car dock on you're recommendation and it's seriously cr*p. Really flimsy and not at all stable, at least in my air vents!!

Not blaming you though, it obviously works for you. :D

I bought this from the US and it's the mutts nuts. Simple, solid and effective. I'd give it a 10 out of 10.

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭whiteboy

so I just picked up one of these from carphone warehouse, anyone know how long I should charge the battery for the first time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

whiteboy wrote: »
    so I just picked up one of these from carphone warehouse, anyone know how long I should charge the battery for the first time?

Mine came about 70% pre-charged. Took less than an hour for it to be fully charged.

I'm open to correction on this, but I think phone batteries have moved on a lot over the years and this of giving them a big charge, letting it run out and charging up again (in the days after you buy) it is not as important as it used to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭whiteboy

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    Mine came about 70% pre-charged. Took less than an hour for it to be fully charged.

I'm open to correction on this, but I think phone batteries have moved on a lot over the years and this of giving them a big charge, letting it run out and charging up again (in the days after you buy) it is not as important as it used to be.

I have a screen protector but haven't decided to use it or not, is it worth using?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

Hi

I got a smanung galaxy s (2.2) on upgrade from Vodafone the other day.

First impressions is that Im impressed.

I have one huge issue in the WIFI.

I have 2 access points in the house and initally I can connect to either.

But after a few minutes idle when I unlock the screen it doesnt pick up wifi.

In wifi settings I get

Access point 1
    Obtaining IP Address from .....

Access point 2
    with eiter Remembered / Disabled or secured by WPA/WPA PSK

it just switches between the 2 points but never actually connects to any.

If I disable wifi and reneable its no difference. I also set phone to never disconnect from wifi.

It does connect after total restart.

The issue is that at home it uses the 3g to download mail because the wifi hasnt responded in time.

My iphone 3gs and BB 8520 connect to APs all the time everytime.

This is a killer for this phone for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

whiteboy wrote: »
    I have a screen protector but haven't decided to use it or not, is it worth using?

Does a bear ****e in the woods?
    dfdream wrote: »
    Hi

I got a smanung galaxy s (2.2) on upgrade from Vodafone the other day.

First impressions is that Im impressed.

I have one huge issue in the WIFI.

I have 2 access points in the house and initally I can connect to either.

But after a few minutes idle when I unlock the screen it doesnt pick up wifi.

In wifi settings I get

Access point 1
    Obtaining IP Address from .....

Access point 2
    with eiter Remembered / Disabled or secured by WPA/WPA PSK

it just switches between the 2 points but never actually connects to any.

If I disable wifi and reneable its no difference. I also set phone to never disconnect from wifi.

It does connect after total restart.

The issue is that at home it uses the 3g to download mail because the wifi hasnt responded in time.

My iphone 3gs and BB 8520 connect to APs all the time everytime.

This is a killer for this phone for me.

Have you tried Wifinder? Or try turn off one of your access points, maybe the fact that there`s 2 of them it will always try to connect to the other.
    I take it you have both passwords in for the 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

Will try wifinder.

The 2 access points work fine with any other device.

It should manage 2 access points no issue.

One is MAC Access and the other is WPA shared key.

D
    lewis wrote: »
    Does a bear ****e in the woods?

Have you tried Wifinder? Or try turn off one of your access points, maybe the fact that there`s 2 of them it will always try to connect to the other.
    I take it you have both passwords in for the 2?

• Advertisement

dfdream wrote: »
    Will try wifinder.

The 2 access points work fine with any other device.

It should manage 2 access points no issue.

One is MAC Access and the other is WPA shared key.

D

You could tell it to forget one of them, that might work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

Can you do predictive texting(T9) in Irish on a Galaxy? I was given a quick look at one in the pub and saw that Swype wasn't available as Gaeilge.

Poll Dubh wrote: »
    Can you do predictive texting(T9) in Irish on a Galaxy? I was given a quick look at one in the pub and saw that Swype wasn't available as Gaeilge.

Jaysus, why in gods name would you want to text in Gaeilge?

I like to belittle unhelpful people as Gaeilge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Poll Dubh wrote: »
    I like to belittle unhelpful people as Gaeilge

Dún do bhéal

:P

TheUsual wrote: »
    Dún do bhéal

:P

Did you use T9 to write that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Darkys 9.3 Beta 3 is out.

Aparently beta 2 was out and had problems so beta 3 was released shortly afterward but the thread hasn't been updated yet.
    Will be flashing myself tomorrow.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=11514939&postcount=29910

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Ste- wrote: »
    Darkys 9.3 Beta 3 is out.

Aparently beta 2 was out and had problems so beta 3 was released shortly afterward but the thread hasn't been updated yet.
    Will be flashing myself tomorrow.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=11514939&postcount=29910

Me too. Had reduced battery life with b1 and a few crashes. GPS doenst seem to lock as well as I had reported earlier. Fluke I suppose.

Downloading b3. Am I correct in thinking that I dont need to remove the lag fix any more? I read that somewhere...

Ok just flashed there. All my text messages are gone. Everythign else present. In the library at the moment so cant test everything like GPS. I notice some theme changes but not much.

Me too. Had reduced battery life with b1 and a few crashes. GPS doenst seem to lock as well as I had reported earlier. Fluke I suppose.

Downloading b3. Am I correct in thinking that I dont need to remove the lag fix any more? I read that somewhere...

Afaik if you're not changing kernels you don't have to, tho you could run into problems later on. I do disable them just to avoid future problems only takes 10 mins to do.

Afaik if you're not changing kernels you don't have to, tho you could run into problems later on. I do disable them just to avoid future problems only takes 10 mins to do.

Didnt disable, no problems so far except that my text messages are gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Get sms backup in the market and set it to do a weekly scheduled backup

• Advertisement

seems this is a known problem.
    So for anyone doing the upgrade make a backup first!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Try MyPhoneExplorer. It's a really excellent piece of free software for using your phone through your laptop.

I've been using it for years with Sony Ericsson phones but it caters to Android now and can connect through cable or Wi-fi.

When you receive a text it pops up as a notification on your laptop/pc. You can then type back a reply on your laptop and a copy is saved both on your laptop and phone.

You can also back up everything through it, files, call records, texts etc. etc etc.

Excellent programme and free to boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

Try MyPhoneExplorer. It's a really excellent piece of free software for using your phone through your laptop.

I've been using it for years with Sony Ericsson phones but it caters to Android now and can connect through cable or Wi-fi.

When you receive a text it pops up as a notification on your laptop/pc. You can then type back a reply on your laptop and a copy is saved both on your laptop and phone.

You can also back up everything through it, files, call records, texts etc. etc etc.

Excellent programme and free to boot.

I had been using Android notifier to get prompts about texts and calls, but this seems much more useful.

http://code.google.com/p/android-notifier/
    in case someone just wants alerts

So how did people go about flashing to 9.3 beta?

So how did people go about flashing to 9.3 beta?

*shrug* same as normal. Copy the zip over, reboot into recovery, install zip, reboot.

Didnt take off the lagfix and all worked hunky dorey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Any feedback on the 9.3 beta?

Any feedback on the 9.3 beta?

AFAIK a few GUI changes. GPS not as good as 9.2. Dont notice any performance enhancments but i could be wrong. No wipe so not a clean install.

Well I just flashed 9.3b3 and all seems ok, very early to tell anything but I`m on it, lets hope all stays well

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭delito

PogMoThoin wrote: »

You'll get the google app here:
    http://www.applanet.net/Forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=8

Lots of other free apps too ;)

Best app out there, the dark market :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Raoul

delito wrote: »
    Best app out there, the dark market :D

Presume this is illegal then?

• Advertisement

Anyone using CyanogenMod 7 ?
    I hear the camera works now, only thing holding me back now is being able to access the two cards over usb ? anyone know if you can or can share experiences of CM7 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭G1032

Well I just flashed 9.3b3 and all seems ok, very early to tell anything but I`m on it, lets hope all stays well

Flashed 9.3 b3 last night and all is NOT well now!!
    Can't connect phone to computer now. The USB settings have disappeared from 'About Phone'
    So luckily I still have the b3 ROM file on my SD card so I will flash it again and see if it restores the USB settings. I will do a full wipe this time.
    If that fails I'll have to get a hold of an external SD card to get the beta 1 file back on my phone and then flash that. I will update later

Oops. Reflashed 9.3b3 and still no USB settings. Then found them in the Wireless and Network folder. What a waste of time. Now I've gotta go and reinstall all my apps. Oh well....

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭delito

Raoul wrote: »

Dont know, but its deffo not an official app or addon.

G1032 wrote: »
    Flashed 9.3 b3 last night and all is NOT well now!!
    Can't connect phone to computer now. The USB settings have disappeared from 'About Phone'
    So luckily I still have the b3 ROM file on my SD card so I will flash it again and see if it restores the USB settings. I will do a full wipe this time.
    If that fails I'll have to get a hold of an external SD card to get the beta 1 file back on my phone and then flash that. I will update later

Oops. Reflashed 9.3b3 and still no USB settings. Then found them in the Wireless and Network folder. What a waste of time. Now I've gotta go and reinstall all my apps. Oh well....

App brain?

There a loads of backup apps around that back up your apps and settings etc.

App brain?

There a loads of backup apps around that back up your apps and settings etc.

Ya. I used Titanium backup for my apps and ARN backup/restore for the APN settings, Didn't bother with the SMS backup.
    Can you re-install all apps at once with Titanium??
    Anyway I'm nearly done. Won't bother re-installing half of them because I never use them. I'll have a nice clean phone again now!!

Raoul wrote: »

I would imagine so, but not 100% certain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭reb73

Anyone using CyanogenMod 7 ?
    I hear the camera works now, only thing holding me back now is being able to access the two cards over usb ? anyone know if you can or can share experiences of CM7 ?

Will be testing it out this weekend and possibly switching back to my current ROM (Doc + Stefunel JS5) if its not stable enough.

Pretty sure the Nexus S Drivers will work for USB, though it might just be the internal card as the Nexus S does not have an external card.

reb73 wrote: »
    Will be testing it out this weekend and possibly switching back to my current ROM (Doc + Stefunel JS5) if its not stable enough.

Pretty sure the Nexus S Drivers will work for USB, though it might just be the internal card as the Nexus S does not have an external card.

Yeah the external card over usb isnt supported. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

RangeR wrote: »
    There is hope. I have to say, if it can be done, xda-developers.com will know it.

This is what they suggested. Going to try make it this week.

This is my original thread, just in case someone else has this problem down the line.

It was a physical defect. I was just unlucky. Was told that the logic board had to be replaced and I should have it back in my hands tomorrow.

Unfortunately, it will probably have 2.2.1 :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Glad I didn't update 9.2 stable to 9.3b beta. Seems there are still some issues to resolve before it's stable. Hopefully this weekend?

There are only two issues I'm having whilst using 9.2 and neither of them may be related to Darkt's ROM at all but given the expertise here perhaps someone might have some input?

1. When I remove the phone from charging in the the Samsung charging dock or if I try to use it when it's in the dock it can take up to 1 minute todisplay the home page. It's a big lag and my gut tells me it's related to the phone trying to "un dock" or somehow deal with the docked status. Are there any docking settings I can tweak to try and fix this?

2. Intermittently I'm unable to turn wi-fi on either via the drop down menu from the top of the screen or directly in settings -> wi-fi settings. When I tick the box to turn on wi-fi it starts the process then displays "error" and that's it. I have to do a battery pull to fix.

3. The compass simply won't work. I've recalibrated etc but let's say I put the phone on a table and launch the compass and it shows N at 12 O'Clock, it I rotate the phone 90 degrees N will rotate all the way round also. I do sometimes get an error message saying "Abnormal magnetic field detected" but there can't be abnormal magnetic fields everywhere!!!

Any ideas?

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Raoul

G1032 wrote: »
    I would imagine so, but not 100% certain

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Applanet/176954165657627

Think they are being shut down, petition to keep them open is up on their facebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭reb73

Yeah the external card over usb isnt supported. :(

Its listed as a CRITICAL defect in the issues list for CM7 for Galaxy S (along with the camera FCs and issues) , so hopefully the devs will get around to have it resolved soon! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Crimson125

Hi Guys,

I've been having a major issue getting my galaxy S connected to Kies to do the 2.2 update for nearly 3 months.

See the Vodafone tech support here :
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056092393

I'm absolutely doing my nut in - have a new OS, same issue.

Any tips without me getting into hacking the sh!t out of the thing ?
    (I do see some value in rooting it though)...

Cheers ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Crimson125 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I've been having a major issue getting my galaxy S connected to Kies to do the 2.2 update for nearly 3 months.

Cheers ;-)

I had this problem too. I googled and eventually found the solution for me.

Don't set your phone up to ASK you what connection on USB. Set it specifically to "KIES".
    I had the same problem, then went into Settings> About Phone> USB Settings then changed it to "Samsung Kies" and now its fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 p4paddy07

I connected my galaxy s to my computer late last night and when samsung kies opened it said there was new firmware available for my phone an asked did i want to update, so i clicked okay but it also asked if i wanted to back up my phone before, which i confirmed but after a while i realized it was talking so long to back up my phone because it was also backing up my videos and i had forgotten i had a couple of movies on my phone, so i cancelled the back up but after i connected my phone again it said i have the latest firmware but its still the same firmware.It couldn't have updated the firmware as it hadn't finished the backup.has anyone any idea of the release date for 2.2.1 as my phone is really lagging since i updated to 2.2 a while back.

• Advertisement

RangeR wrote: »
    I had this problem too. I googled and eventually found the solution for me.

Don't set your phone up to ASK you what connection on USB. Set it specifically to "KIES".

Believe me, if I was paid by the hour for time spent googling this, I'd be rich.

Interestingly, I rememeber wayyyy back at the start with the Galaxy S, I changed that from the Kies default to the Ask on Connection.

Now that I've changed it, it appears that the MPT driver is successfully loading - which is something new for me ! Amazing that the lads from Voda couldn't suggest somethign like that.

Now, I've a different problem.

Kies continues, and continues, and continues, to try to connect to the device - but doesn't manage to do it.

I've rebooted, and I've also tried to run kies as administrator, but nothing seems to help.

progress though - I'm really happy to see that something has happened and it's moving forward - thanks a million for that !

Hey - Update -

So I leave Kies connecting and let it run it's course.

It then tells me that "Windows failed to locate the driver" for the device.

If I select for windows to find the right driver, it tells me it can't.

If I go into the device manager, and try to reinstall the driver, I point it to the driver pack I found here :
    http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Connect-Samsung-Galaxy-S-with-Kies-on-your-PC

It tells me that it's already got the latest driver installed :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 25 p4paddy07

Hi Guys,

Cheers ;-)

I had problems with my phone connecting with kies.I had to to do the following.

- Go into SETTINGS on the phone

- Select SD CARD AND PHONE STORAGE

- Select UNMOUNT SD CARD

- Try to connect your phone again

This worked for me.Hope it helps you out.

Hey p4Paddy,

Unfortunately, that didn't do it either !

also, when I got home, I tried it on my Windows 7 install.

Strangely, when I connect the phone, it causes some sort of conflict with my vodafone USB stick, and it kicks the vodafone connection out and leaves it in a "searching for network" status until I disconnect the phone !

It's getting wierder by the minute ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Hey p4Paddy,

Unfortunately, that didn't do it either !

also, when I got home, I tried it on my Windows 7 install.

Strangely, when I connect the phone, it causes some sort of conflict with my vodafone USB stick, and it kicks the vodafone connection out and leaves it in a "searching for network" status until I disconnect the phone !

It's getting wierder by the minute ;-)

Hey Crimson,

Dunno if I can help much but I had similar problems a few months ago, I had 4 unknown usb devices in my device manager aswell.
    I managed to solve it by uninstalling the Widcomm driver as my bluetooth is an internal usb connection, seemingly that was causing some usb conflict.

It probably won't help you much but may gave you some ideas.

Also I havn't even looked at Kies since rooting, Darky's 9.2 is unbelievably fast, so I would recommend it.

Zeuss

• Advertisement
Advertisement