Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

stargirl28 wrote: »
    Hi guys sorry t jump in on this thread, possibly not the correct one but I have a question re mobile phones. My mum has the htc desire on contract but doesn't want to use it anymore as she's not a fan of anything 'hi-tech' (I know why did she go for that phone in the first place!!) anyway she is on meteor bill pay and I am on meteor pay as u go. My question is, if I put my payasyou go sim in the htc will it work? I don't want to try it until Im sure for fear of blocking the phone? Thanks!

Yep it should be fine. Don't think they changed anything from the last time i did It.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Tbh I stopped viewing this thread, all it seems to contain is modding questions..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

angel01 wrote: »
    Tbh I stopped viewing this thread, all it seems to contain is modding questions..

While you would be right, if Samsung had made the phone better before release this wouldn't be the case. To get the best out of this phone it needs to be modded imo. Same as the Orange San Fran. Go look in that thread it's exactly the same as this one. While The DHD you wouldn't get as many questions. Don't get me wrong I love my SGS and I'm glad I mod it, has thought me so much about Android already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Craigels

i got my unlock code from meteor how i enter it into the phone i saw this

#7465625*638*# (Insert Network Lock Keycode)

but it also looks for MCC/MNC i dont know what they are...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭reb73

Craigels wrote: »
    but it also looks for MCC/MNC i dont know what they are...

It is 272 and 03 respectively for Meteor.. The complete list is here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 p4paddy07

Craigels wrote: »
    i used that thanks but now i need a password for the encrypted files where can i find that ? it dosent say on the firmware page...

password should be SamFirmware.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

Any one flash to 2.3.2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

xtal191 wrote: »
    Any one flash to 2.3.2?

Post properly. On what phone? To the best of my knowledge that hasnt come out officially for the SGS yet as that's gingerbread. We still only have 2.2.1. There are some really dodgy mostly not working ROMs that are using gingerbread based kernels for the SGS but highly unstable.

Some time in March is the date rumoured for a 2.3 official rom from samung for the SGS. When that comes out a week or so later Darky and others will have hacked and better versions to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Craigels

done and it worked perfectly happy out so much faster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

I was just looking on SamFirmware.com and came across it

http://www.samfirmware.com/apps/blog/show/6282349-android-2-3-2-leaks-for-galaxy-s-

Theres the link anyway

• Advertisement

xtal191 wrote: »
    I was just looking on SamFirmware.com and came across it

http://www.samfirmware.com/apps/blog/show/6282349-android-2-3-2-leaks-for-galaxy-s-

Theres the link anyway

thanks! Shame it's buggy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Hecklar

some are reporting market works fine, im not brave enough to test it yet though...

I wouldnt touch it with your phone. I am tempted to do a fresh flash of an old Darkys, like 9.2 stable. I had problems with it, but it had amazing life compared to 9.3b3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Hecklar

Anybody see those big retarded extended battery packs on ebay? lol

I was searching around to see if anyone was making a higher rated battery than the stock one and came across this. This monstrosity would get nowhere near my phone!

Hecklar wrote: »
    Anybody see those big retarded extended battery packs on ebay? lol

I was searching around to see if anyone was making a higher rated battery than the stock one and came across this. This monstrosity would get nowhere near my phone!

snip'd video

what a bloody waste of space. The least they could have done is follow the new shape of hte battery or create a long flat battery so it isnt like two of the current ones stuck together.

I'd rather carry around a spare than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭moggser

flashed to Darky's last nite must say i like it and i think im "in like" with it :)

now is there any must have things to put on there or things that need doin?

also i noticed since doin so the battery is noticeably worse since the flash any idea's folks?

2.3.2 leaked last night, was tempted to flash but I think I'll wait to see what custom roms come of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Ste- wrote: »
    While you would be right, if Samsung had made the phone better before release this wouldn't be the case. To get the best out of this phone it needs to be modded imo.

Now at the risk of being called a noob by a poster with poor grammar what, for example, improvements or benefits are there for modding the phone ? Mine is stock running 2.2 and it's more than adequate for me, runs any games I want fine but haven't used it a whole lot or vids or music.

So why should I mod it ? (not a smart question, just an inquisitive one).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

I was getting ok battery life on 9.2, but since I flashed 9.3B3, I`m gettin better battery life, but the wait for 9.3 stable is killing me, lol
    I`d rather that than the new Gingernut ROM

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Now at the risk of being called a noob by a poster with poor grammar what, for example, improvements or benefits are there for modding the phone ? Mine is stock running 2.2 and it's more than adequate for me, runs any games I want fine but haven't used it a whole lot or vids or music.

Wouldn't dare call anyone a noob, we all had to start somewhere and we all don't know everything.
    Mods I feel get the best out of the phone but its usually only small points.
    For example, the increasing ring, with custom roms or mods this can be gotten rid of.
    You can change the icons, themes basically do anything to the phone you want.
    Enable backup support with clockwork mod. Very handy if you screw something up and aren't near a pc. Fix the gps on the phone.
    Change the filesystem which will see a reduce in lag on the phone.
    You can also change your modem so as you can get a better connection depending on your location.

I'm sure there's a few more that maybe someone else could bring up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭budgemook

Lag was the main thing for me. It just makes the phone a lot snappier and responsive. A few cool extra features too but I don't think that's all that important for you. Number one benefit - cures the lab problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Ste- wrote: »
    Wouldn't dare call anyone a noob, we all had to start somewhere and we all don't know everything.

Sorry, that wasn't aimed at you but at a couple of pages back.

Lag seems to be the main issue I've read about all right, don't currently find it any issue but then again I have had very little time to actually play around with the phone.

One thing that does bug me is the fact the alarm will not work if the phone is off but I gather that's an android issue rather than one specific to the handset.

I wonder who it is.....

Improvements, speed,stability,looks,versatility,ability to flash different ZIPs
    root privileges always good.
    If its more than adequate then its not for you..

moggser wrote: »
    flashed to Darky's last nite must say i like it and i think im "in like" with it :)

now is there any must have things to put on there or things that need doin?
    ?

also i noticed since doin so the battery is noticeably worse since the flash any idea's folks??

also i noticed since doin so the battery is noticeably worse since the flash any idea's folks??

Did you do the wipe version?
    That always best, I only do the non wipe version if I`m coming from another Darky ROM.
    I take it your on about 9.3.B3?

yeah did the wipe and its 9.2

yeah did the wipe and its 9.2

What modem are you on?

where do i find that?

EDIT JPY that it>?

where do i find that?

EDIT JPY that it>?

Yup, I was on JPY and found I had problems with wifi/mobile signal and battery life was`nt great. Then I tried this one.......

http://www.multiupload.com/MPHBIX83EY

Its the recommended one for this part of the planet, I find it works great, improved both my signals and battery life, give it a go and see how you get on.
    You should notice an improvement pretty much straight away with your signals, mark down what they are now so you know how much they have improved.

Also have a read through this, very useful, hope it works out for you...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=9579987&postcount=11945

• Advertisement

cheers Lewis :)

ill have a gander at it..
    is just the battery i have a prob with at the minute not other signal issue's
    might leave it alone for a day or so see if it levels out

cheers Lewis :)

ill have a gander at it..
    is just the battery i have a prob with at the minute not other signal issue's
    might leave it alone for a day or so see if it levels out

But if you have better signals overall, your battery will not use as much to search,GPS also. Trust me dude it helps.
    You should try out Ultimate`s gold kernel, thats some serious ****!! I have it and I find it a little better than Voodoo...

how do i replace the other modem you linked me to the phone?

how do i replace the other modem you linked me to the phone?

Flash it in CWM like a ROM would be flashed

Sorry still getting used to this lark what's the cwm

Ok, do you know how to get into recovery?

• Advertisement

Yep sure do

Ok you put that modem ZIP on your internal SD then go into recovery (CWM)
    and its something like Install zip from SDCARD, then Choose zip from SDCARD and then select the ZIP file, when its done reboot the phone let it do its thing and thats it.
    You can have a look in about phone and make sure it flashed it.

sorry for the late reply

there is two or three things in the folder from that download which one is the one i need to put on there

manifest.mf
    cert.sf
    cert.rsa and now i found modem.bin and redbend_ua

sorry for the late reply

there is two or three things in the folder from that download which one is the one i need to put on there

manifest.mf
    cert.sf
    cert.rsa and now i found modem.bin and redbend_ua

Don't unzip it, just copy the zip file to your internal sd card.

ah right be on it now get back to ya soon

oh will this one over write the old one?

• Advertisement

ah right be on it now get back to ya soon

oh will this one over write the old one?

Yes

Anyone having difficulty sending or receiving mms on o2 with darky's 9.3b?
    Just hanging on download for me. Do I need to create a new apn or something? couldnt find anything relevant in message settings.

right all done i think

so what should i be looking at for the change?

EDIT also not getting mms either

also the battery seems no different

Never sent an MMS, nor received one...

But thanks for the tip on JP5. Didnt know that was the best. I've flashed now, but not noticing anything different yet. At least everythign still works :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Never sent an MMS, nor received one...

But thanks for the tip on JP5. Didnt know that was the best. I've flashed now, but not noticing anything different yet. At least everythign still works :D

Check your apn settings. Where it says apn type, make sure it says mms and internet.
    worked for me :)

For any other changes to be noticed you`ldd have to let the battery go through some cycles, so just use your phone as normal, as for the MMS I could never get that to work, same with a loads of other people....

Ghandee wrote: »
    Check your apn settings. Where it says apn type, make sure it says mms and internet.

Legend! thanks Ghandee

Didnt work for me initially but did once I turned the firewall off :)

Legend! thanks Ghandee

Didnt work for me initially but did once I turned the firewall off :)

Firewall, jesus man it is`nt a PC your running there, lol

Ghandee wrote: »

No it's not that I just dont use MMS. At all. Never needed it. Cant see a reason for it with smart phones. Far cheaper for me to upload it somewhere directly from my phone.

What I would like working is video calls through skype, both sending and receiving.

• Advertisement
Advertisement