Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

lewis wrote: »
    Firewall, jesus man it is`nt a PC your running there, lol

I dont know, but there could be some firewall app, though I really dont know why you'd want one on your phone. I dont use one on my (ubuntu) laptop.

EDIT::: Also Darkys 9.3 was released last night. He recommends a Wipe install, so back up everything.

I'm taking notes on what apps I use and I'll not install the ones I dont use. Hoping for an uber fast and slick phone now. I'll have to do the same thing to my laptop in April when the new ubuntu comes out. I've clogged it up with a fair bit of carp.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 p4paddy07

I know everyone has probably realised by now that the battery life decreases significantly with the new updates but is there any hope of a fix to improve this.my battery life has probably decreased by about 30-35 percent since the update, cant even make it through a day at work without it going dead now although it is much faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

p4paddy07 wrote: »
    I know everyone has probably realised by now that the battery life decreases significantly with the new updates but is there any hope of a fix to improve this.my battery life has probably decreased by about 30-35 percent since the update, cant even make it through a day at work without it going dead now although it is much faster.

I really don't understand this. I have flashed various versions of Darky's and have not experienced battery drain like you describe.
    No excessive battery drain on 9.3b1 or 9.3b3 either and I don't expect to experience it on 9.3 stable either.
    Before each flash I bump charge the battery. It's recommended that you flash on 100% battery so it will be correctly calibrated after flash.
    Try refreshing the battery stats. Several guides on how to do that on this thread and on XDA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Its a false reading, it takes a few days for the battery cycles to work themselves out and recallibrate, but you can fix it. Run the phone until it completely cuts out, play a game or something intensive. Then charge it to 100% while powered off. Then boost the battery by removing the power cable for a few seconds before inserting again and recharging to 100% again.
    Read This:
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/12/14/your-battery-gauge-is-lying-to-you-everything-you-need-to-know-about-bump-charging-and-inconsistent-battery-drain/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Just got this yesterday and I'm very happy with it but I have a couple of questions for galaxy owners if anyone can answer them...

1. I have an orange download icon on the notification bar at the top that wont go away. I turned the phone off and on to get rid of it but to no avail. How do I get rid of it? :confused:

2. If I move away from my home wi-fi to the outside world, is the download still happening on the 3g service thereby costing me a fortune?

I would be grateful for answer as I'm worried about my next bill...sorry for my cluelessness.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

If you pull down the menu from the top and hit the 'Clear' button that will get rid of any notifications you currently have.

With regards to 3G, hold the power button and then select the "Data network mode" so that is says it's deactivated and that will solve it connecting when you don't want to.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    If you pull down the menu from the top and hit the 'Clear' button that will get rid of any notifications you currently have.

With regards to 3G, hold the power button and then select the "Data network mode" so that is says it's deactivated and that will solve it connecting when you don't want to.

Thats great thanks. :)

It was an unsuccessful download apparently so hopefully wasnt downloading anything the past 24 hours.

Firewall, jesus man it is`nt a PC your running there, lol

I know but better to be safe than sorry especially when this really nasty malware has just been discovered:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2011/mar/02/android-market-apps-malware

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

I know but better to be safe than sorry especially when this really nasty malware has just been discovered:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2011/mar/02/android-market-apps-malware

I know what you mean, I always read the reviews/comments on anything I download, to make sure its very good!
    BUT I did have a firewall AGES ago along with AVG on my phone, lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭moggser

lads whats the difference between the eclair and the jyp modem ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Just installed Darky's Rom 9.3 the other day. I was tempted to install 2.3.2 Gingerbread as it's already been rooted but at the end of the day, it's still TouchWiz infested Android. I either want stock Android or a decent custom rom that isn't bloated.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Just installed Darky's Rom 9.3 the other day. I was tempted to install 2.3.2 Gingerbread as it's already been rooted but at the end of the day, it's still TouchWiz infested Android. I either want stock Android or a decent custom rom that isn't bloated.

/facepalm.

the default launcher installed in a modified gingerbread. Through Darkys "home switcher" app you can change back to TW. When you download another launcher (I use ADW EX, but there is also LauncherPro and others) you can change the default easily there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

/facepalm.

the default launcher installed in a modified gingerbread. Through Darkys "home switcher" app you can change back to TW. When you download another launcher (I use ADW EX, but there is also LauncherPro and others) you can change the default easily there.

I've seen the option to switch back to TW, my point is it's a lot better than TW Android, and a lot faster. Facepalm all you want, my Galaxy S is faster and better looking that everyone else's I know and that's why I have a custom Rom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Can those of you who regularly flash new ROMS or upgrade your Darky's ROM tell me what you do to minimise the re-setup process after the new ROM is installed?

I (and I'm sure everyone else) would really like to be able to restore all home screen settings/shortcuts, widgets and language/keyboard/general settings in addition to apps and app data.

I have MyBackupPro but it doesn't restore the homescreens or the general settings and critically although it restores all your apps it doesn't restore the market links which means you end up having to re-download and pay for apps again which is a major pain in the ar$e when you have over 100 apps and >20 paid apps.

What do you guys do to restore all your settings, apps, data etc?

I'm on Darky's 9.2 and want to upgrade to 9.3 but the hassle of re-downloading all my apps, lashing out €50 to repurchase the paid ones and re-setting up the phone again is a major off putter.

Ben

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I updated from Darkys 9.1 to 9.2, then 2 weeks later from 9.2 to 9.3, both took less than 10 minutes and I kept all settings and apps. Never did bother with the wipe and all went fine. But I had ran Titanium for apps and settings, Sms and apn backup just to be sure in case I had to wipe.

• Advertisement

I've seen the option to switch back to TW, my point is it's a lot better than TW Android, and a lot faster. Facepalm all you want, my Galaxy S is faster and better looking that everyone else's I know and that's why I have a custom Rom.

Ah I miss read your post. I didnt realise that you werent installing 2.3.x because it hasnt got darkys yet.

Yeah a few people I've met with my phone are always really curious how I got it to work the way it does. I cant believe that they put up with the lag when they paid a lot of money for the phone.

Gloat much? I doubt that.....
    BenEadir wrote: »
    Can those of you who regularly flash new ROMS or upgrade your Darky's ROM tell me what you do to minimise the re-setup process after the new ROM is installed?

I (and I'm sure everyone else) would really like to be able to restore all home screen settings/shortcuts, widgets and language/keyboard/general settings in addition to apps and app data.

I have MyBackupPro but it doesn't restore the homescreens or the general settings and critically although it restores all your apps it doesn't restore the market links which means you end up having to re-download and pay for apps again which is a major pain in the ar$e when you have over 100 apps and >20 paid apps.

What do you guys do to restore all your settings, apps, data etc?

I'm on Darky's 9.2 and want to upgrade to 9.3 but the hassle of re-downloading all my apps, lashing out €50 to repurchase the paid ones and re-setting up the phone again is a major off putter.

Ben

Ben

The ROM is as minimised as your going to get, most of the bloat ware is gone.
    But Start up Manager is ok for turning of ****, but you better know what your doing!!

Do a nandroind backup once you have the ROM you like, name it so you will know which backup it is.
    Titanium can be ok but its a pain in the hole restoring all them apps.

€50 jesus man, if you do a bit of snooping you wont have to pay anything..you know what I mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Ben

Why not just do a backup in CWM recovery and then just go into recovery after the update and advanced restore data only, for example moving form darky 9.2 to darky 9.3.
    1. full backup through CWM recovery
    2. use darkys rom configurator
    3. restore backup (advanced backup, choose data)
    4. presto, wallpaper, everything is the same

Zeuss

Gloat much? I doubt that.....

The ROM is as minimised as your going to get, most of the bloat ware is gone.
    But Start up Manager is ok for turning of ****, but you better know what your doing!!

Do a nandroind backup once you have the ROM you like, name it so you will know which backup it is.
    Titanium can be ok but its a pain in the hole restoring all them apps.

€50 jesus man, if you do a bit of snooping you wont have to pay anything..you know what I mean?

Lewis, thanks for the reply. I'm not a saint and I do do the odd bit of 'snooping' as you call it but I also like to support S/W development and without some compensation commercial developers won't survive. I know there's a lot of FOC S/W out there and a lot of hobbyists and whilst a lot of that stuff is truly excellent we still need individuals and companies to earn a living!!

Ben

DrZeuss wrote: »
    Why not just do a backup in CWM recovery and then just go into recovery after the update and advanced restore data only, for example moving form darky 9.2 to darky 9.3.
    1. full backup through CWM recovery
    2. use darkys rom configurator
    3. restore backup (advanced backup, choose data)
    4. presto, wallpaper, everything is the same

Zeuss

DrZeuss,

You make it sound so simple!!!

OK, I'm currently running a backup in CWM. I've 600mb spare on my (16GB!) SD card so hopefully that'll do the trick.

The big question I would like an answer to is will the CWM backup restore market links??? Last time I upgraded I had to re-download all 100 apps and pay again for a good few of them.

Othere questions I have (now that I'm on the way!!) are:-

1. Do I need to disable Voodoo Lagfix before flashing 9.3?
    2. During the CWM backup I got the following errors
    !No /sdcard/.android_secure found. Skipping backup of applications on external storage" and "No sd-ext found. Skipping backup of sd-ext." Should I be worried??? The final messages after the errors were "Generating md5 sum..." and "Backup complete!".

Hold my hand here Dr!!!

Ben

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭budgemook

Is Darkys 2.3 stable now? Is it much better than 9.2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

DrZeuss,

The big question I would like an answer to is will the CWM backup restore market links??? Last time I upgraded I had to re-download all 100 apps and pay again for a good few of them.

Ben

Ok Ben, I'm new enough to all this myself, but from doing a lot of reading up before I took the plunge I might be able to help you a bit

To do with the above, after I done a restore I did not have to download any of my apps, now I didnt try it with any paid ones (bit of a miser I am) but any free one I had downloaded was still perfectly working after the restore.
    DrZeuss,

1. Do I need to disable Voodoo Lagfix before flashing 9.3?

Ben

According to a few posts iv read, if your upgrading from a previous darky, eg 9.2 to 9.3 then seemingly you don't have to disable but personally I would just for piece of mind. I'v never needed to enable lagfix so I have no experience with enabling or disabling before updating.
    DrZeuss,

2. During the CWM backup I got the following errors
    !No /sdcard/.android_secure found. Skipping backup of applications on external storage" and "No sd-ext found. Skipping backup of sd-ext." Should I be worried??? The final messages after the errors were "Generating md5 sum..." and "Backup complete!".

Ben

Ok, .android_secure is to do with apps that were moved to SD, so if you have moved some apps to the SD then im not sure if these will be backed up, again Iv never had a need to move any apps to SD so I can't help much on that one.

I presume sd-ext would be a removable sd card, I too get that message as I dont have a removable sd card inserted.

Don't know if I really helped you out much :(

Zeuss

budgemook wrote: »
    Is Darkys 2.3 stable now? Is it much better than 9.2?

I presume you know that Darky doesnt have gingerbread rom yet but 9.3 is IMO far more stable. Battery life for me is still a bit dodgy but I'll only be able to properly comment in a week or so when the stats are more accurate.

When outside GPS locks to 8-10 satellites in about 7 seconds where as previously it could only get 5 or 6 and that would take 30 sec or more. Everything else is grand though.

Oh I know it means SFA but I got >1500 on quadrant compared to about 1400 before 9.3, with voodoo on both. I know some people swear by speedmod but I'm just happier on voodoo since I donated a few quid to the team.

Squee and DrZeuss, thanks for the feedback lads. Much appreciated as ever. I'm going to give this a lash tonight.

I was kind of waiting for 9.3 stable to to further 'stabalised' as 9.2 was a day or two after the initial stable version was released but it looks like this 9.3 version won't be changing so I'll give it a lash.

Cheers.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Yopyop

last August i got a galaxy s and it has to be the worst phone i have ever had. its slow! it freezes! it won't connect to the computer properly! its terrible

i would not recommend this to anyone!

I presume you know that Darky doesnt have gingerbread rom yet but 9.3 is IMO far more stable. Battery life for me is still a bit dodgy but I'll only be able to properly comment in a week or so when the stats are more accurate.

When outside GPS locks to 8-10 satellites in about 7 seconds where as previously it could only get 5 or 6 and that would take 30 sec or more. Everything else is grand though.

Oh I know it means SFA but I got >1500 on quadrant compared to about 1400 before 9.3, with voodoo on both. I know some people swear by speedmod but I'm just happier on voodoo since I donated a few quid to the team.

Think I'll just stay on what I have for the time being. I don't use GPS as I believe it is for the weak.

I might install the modem lewis mentioned a few pages back though to save on battery life.

Yopyop wrote: »
    last August i got a galaxy s and it has to be the worst phone i have ever had. its slow! it freezes! it won't connect to the computer properly! its terrible

Try Darkys ROM. It makes the phone awesome.

and where do i get that?

and where do i get that?

I used this guide:
    http://darky.ficeto.com/community/index.php?threads/odin-rom-darkys-resurrection-edition-9-2.895/

One thing not in it is a link to download Odin. That's here:
    http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fphasercomputers.com%2Fgalaxy%2FOdin3%2520v1.3.exe&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNEfFDQ2J7ysCK1NgZPmgO4-eGxjaA

Takes a bit of effort but it's worth it. You won't think your phone sucks anymore.

EDIT: Read through this thread too, lots of great tips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Hecklar

and where do i get that?

here ya go,
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056192851

• Advertisement

yeah problem,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,my phone won't connect to my computer!

ah well i'm gonna get that new motarolla thingy when i can

yeah problem,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,my phone won't connect to my computer!

ah well i'm gonna get that new motarolla thingy when i can

That should be easy to sort out.

What do you mean it won't connect?

Installing the drivers would be the first thing to try. Seriously, it's an awesome phone when you mod it. Don't give up on it.

Drivers are here:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=7238660&postcount=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Hecklar

Wont connect? Have a look at what your USB settings are set to. set it to "ask or connection" or whatever.

Either that or i'll give ya a tenner and a macaroon bar for it... :D

yeah it can't exchange data on it...i'll try it again thanks.

can i have the macaroon bar anyway? :-D

yeah it can't exchange data on it...i'll try it again thanks.

can i have the macaroon bar anyway? :-D

People here will help you get it working. Install the drivers on your PC and check the USB settings on the phone and let us know.

Would be interested to hear what you thought of the phone if you installed Darkys ROM.

Do you use Windows? What firmware is on your phone right now? I'm betting it's 2.1 (which sucks). Go to settings > about phone to find out.

it keeps saying setting connection. i think there is a problem with the data exchange on the phone connector

Well your a gob****e then, if you`d spent some time looking up what can be done to the phone then you`d be kicking yourself in the nuts, out of the box yeah its crap, but you flash any ROM on it.....they speak for them selves....

it keeps saying setting connection. i think there is a problem with the data exchange on the phone connector

What is saying setting connection? The phone or the PC? Have you changed your USB settings yet? Change them to Ask on Connection. Mass Storage then is what you want for transferring files...

i got it to work. thank you so much!

one more thing, i think i lost all my contacts tho

• Advertisement

i got it to work. thank you so much!

one more thing, i think i lost all my contacts tho

Probably not, go into your contact display options and choose wherever you have them to be shown. This used to change by itself for me for some reason.

Here's a tip, copy all your contacts as google contacts. This stores them in gmail and you'll never lose them again. I don't keep contacts on the phone or SIM, i just put all of them in as a google contact.

Anyways, like I was saying, let me know if you get Darkys ROM going. The guide is straightforward but if you're not sure you should ask someone for help. Doing it wrong can feck your phone up beyond repair. Worth it though as it makes it as slick as an iPhone almost so you get iPhone like performance with all of the benefits Android has over iPhone :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

any hints to improve battery life. I am getting about 8 hours out of it . No great usage. maybe 5 / 6 calls a day, its says display is using a lot of the battery. went into the vodafone shop where I was told its not abnormal to have to charge the phone during the day ??

any hints to improve battery life. I am getting about 8 hours out of it . No great usage. maybe 5 / 6 calls a day, its says display is using a lot of the battery. went into the vodafone shop where I was told its not abnormal to have to charge the phone during the day ??

I get 24 hours out of mine and use it a lot. There are a few things, turn off haptic feedback, check your apps sync settings. Things like push mail use a lot. If you google tips for improving android battery life you'll find a big list. Lots of them take features from your phone though so...

I actually use a lot of the features that are supposed to waste your battery and still get 24 hours so I reckon your problem is deeper. You can try reset the battery stats or even download a new modem (lewis posted about this a few pages back) but I haven't tried either of these things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Cheapest place to pick this up (from a retailers, physical or online, rather than from a personal seller?)

yeah my contacts are gone gone. ah well. thanks a million i think i rather this operating system.

yeah my contacts are gone gone. ah well. thanks a million i think i rather this operating system.

That's nuts! I dunno what could have happened. Anyways, save them in google from now in. You are given the option when creating the contact. Never lose them again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 p4paddy07

This link should help.
    http://darky.ficeto.com/community/index.php?threads/guide-how-to-calibrate-your-battery.321/

Just remember that you should go through a few battery cycles before you`ll see an improvement..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭moggser

Ti have darkys 9.2 in here near a week and the battery life is gettin worse tried the modem thing lewis mentiined and nit sure i did it right as darkys rom app thing tells me i have jpy modem and nothing else i know im wrong somewhere so if anyine can point me un direction would be nice thanks

moggser wrote: »
    Ti have darkys 9.2 in here near a week and the battery life is gettin worse tried the modem thing lewis mentiined and nit sure i did it right as darkys rom app thing tells me i have jpy modem and nothing else i know im wrong somewhere so if anyine can point me un direction would be nice thanks

Ok when you flash a modem you can do it either in Darky`s app, menu-select zip to flash, but be careful there is no confirm option when you select, or through CWM something like apply zip from SD-select zip from SD, both are the same.
    Which modem are you trying to flash?

Can anyone recommend a 16Gb (or 32Gb) micro sd memory card?

From researching this, it seems people tend to favour class 6 cards but I am wondering would I get away with a class 4 if it saves money and is deemed unnecessary for a galaxy?:confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement