Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

My phone is slow and freezes alot, and it wont sync with the new kies. Ive searched this thread but cant find the solution. is there an idiots guide to fixing this anywhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

kinetic wrote: »
    My phone is slow and freezes alot, and it wont sync with the new kies. Ive searched this thread but cant find the solution. is there an idiots guide to fixing this anywhere?

Are you on a custom ROM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

telekon wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a 16Gb (or 32Gb) micro sd memory card?

From researching this, it seems people tend to favour class 6 cards but I am wondering would I get away with a class 4 if it saves money and is deemed unnecessary for a galaxy?:confused:
    Bought a 32Gb micro sd for €30 from a dublin seller last week. Only class 2 I think, but its cheap and it work perfectly in my SGS.

Works great as an mp3 as I'll only be throwing a few songs on here and there so speed isn't that important.

Here's the link if your interested: http://myworld.ebay.ie/jttormey/
    (Its appears he has none on sale at the moment).

lewis wrote: »
    Are you on a custom ROM?

I have it 2 months...took it out of the box and turned it on..........

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Yopyop

yeah mine won't work with kies either. i dunno why i just ignore it now

I have it 2 months...took it out of the box and turned it on..........

If you get the options, select mass storage
    Yopyop wrote: »
    yeah mine won't work with kies either. i dunno why i just ignore it now

Same with you dude, but I highly recommend the 2 of you look into flashing a new ROM on it, they are 20 times better in every way, it will make your phone the way it should be, head over to XDA developers and look for your phone model and read up, you`ll love it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭moggser

Ok when you flash a modem you can do it either in Darky`s app, menu-select zip to flash, but be careful there is no confirm option when you select, or through CWM something like apply zip from SD-select zip from SD, both are the same.
    Which modem are you trying to flash?

was trying to put the one on there that you linked me a page or two ago

moggser wrote: »
    was trying to put the one on there that you linked me a page or two ago

And?

Well as far as I can tell I did it correctly and still not sure if it's
    On what ever it was how do I check it??

Well as far as I can tell I did it correctly and still not sure if it's
    On what ever it was how do I check it??

Menu/settings/about phone scroll down....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Can anyone tell me how do I turn off mobile websites in the browser. There is an option on other android phones but not in the galaxy s.

Is it possible to delete or even lower the volume of the stupid loud as f*ck emobile screens when the phone is turned on and off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Hecklar

Nephew wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how do I turn off mobile websites in the browser. There is an option on other android phones but not in the galaxy s.

Is it possible to delete or even lower the volume of the stupid loud as f*ck emobile screens when the phone is turned on and off.

Im not sure about the mobile websites, but you can click something like "view original site" down the bottom of them to see the proper one.

With the boot logo, Go to System/Media and you should see a file in there called bootanimation.zip or something like that. Delete it or copy it onto your PC for safe keeping and your problem should be sorted. :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Lewis, you seem to be on point as far as ROMs etc, I'm not happy with my current 2.2 official, can you send me a link to a ROMing for dummies kinda thing?

iamstop wrote: »
    Lewis, you seem to be on point as far as ROMs etc, I'm not happy with my current 2.2 official, can you send me a link to a ROMing for dummies kinda thing?

Here you go,
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056192851

It is intimidating when you are totally new to it and are scared you'll ruin the phone, but don't panic, its a piece of píss to do and you'll be done in no time.

PS, this shows darky's 9.2 in the first post. Just navigate to 9.3 on darkys site for the latest one, 9.3. The installation process is exactly the same.

iamstop wrote: »

Ok dude before you start, you read through it all, then do it again, you HAVE to know what your doing and follow the steps and everything will work fine

Before moving to Darky`s 9.3 you should to this...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=940671

Then now that that is done you can move onto 9.3
    Same goes for this one read through it twice and when your one this, use it for a few days for things to settle down, you`ll love it....

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=814091

If you follow the step TO THE LETTER, you will not have any problems, good luck!!

You can try 9.2 in the above link, it is also very good and stable, but I do recommend you move onto 9.3, its up to you.
    Once you flashed Resurrection you can flash 9.2 or 9.3

I9000BUJP5. Is that it??

I9000BUJP5. Is that it??

BINGO

Nice:). Just wiped the battery stats there about hour
    Ago see if that helps

Also disabled lag fix last night too does that effect it at all

Only thing I noticed about doing that wa the quadrant
    Score dropped from1465 down to 1056 or there abouts

Sure that ain't anything anyway is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭rameire

would appreciate help please.
    i am following the instructions to darky
    i have copied the resurection zip
    i dont have the install zip from sd card option in recovery mode.
    any help please.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement

Nice:). Just wiped the battery stats there about hour
    Ago see if that helps

Also disabled lag fix last night too does that effect it at all

Only thing I noticed about doing that wa the quadrant
    Score dropped from1465 down to 1056 or there abouts

Sure that ain't anything anyway is it?

Lagfix it set by default so it usually works best that way.
    But disabling it can be better for some, that`s the difference between everyone, you just have to experiment.
    rameire wrote: »
    would appreciate help please.
    i am following the instructions to darky
    i have copied the resurection zip
    i dont have the install zip from sd card option in recovery mode.
    any help please.

Do you have 3e or 2e recovery?
    What stage are you at now?
    Did you get a pass in Odin?
    Did you sleep well last night?

i have 2e recovery
    i have gone to part 2.5 on the link you provided

i did get a pass in odin.
    the phone works, just cant do part 2 completely.

it was an alright sleep, normal i suppose.

thanks for your help lewis.

edit.
    should i just go straight to darky 9.3 instead of worrying about the rest of 9.2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Anyone try the gingerbread beta for the SGS yet - I9000XWJV1? Was thinking of giving it a go.

i have 2e recovery
    i have gone to part 2.5 on the link you provided

i did get a pass in odin.
    the phone works, just cant do part 2 completely.

it was an alright sleep, normal i suppose.

thanks for your help lewis.

edit.
    should i just go straight to darky 9.3 instead of worrying about the rest of 9.2

Resurrection is just a bass ROM so if that went well, you can go to 9.3
    The update.zip is the extras you might want, but you don`t need to flash that.
    Anyone try the gingerbread beta for the SGS yet - I9000XWJV1? Was thinking of giving it a go.

People have and not great experience, after all its still beta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Raoul

Hecklar wrote: »
    Im not sure about the mobile websites, but you can click something like "view original site" down the bottom of them to see the proper one.

With the boot logo, Go to System/Media and you should see a file in there called bootanimation.zip or something like that. Delete it or copy it onto your PC for safe keeping and your problem should be sorted. :)

Where do you find system/media? :confused:

Raoul wrote: »

I use Skyfire and find it good, there`s the option to view desktop/mobile depending which you prefer...

Get Root Explorer, you`ll get to it then

• Advertisement

Open up your file browser, I think its called "my files" or something if you are using the standard one. I use astro file manager from the appstore. Just open it and go to that file path system/media.

looks like im on 9.3 darky.
    looks good so far.

firm 2.2.1
    baseband i9000xxjpy
    kernel 2.6.32.9 curio@carton voodoo 5.4.4
    build v9.3.xwjs5

thank you Lewis.

I have been looking over this thread for a few weeks now and only got the bottle and time to do it today, cheers for your help and posts in the thread as i have looked over a lot of them and they have helped me alot.

i have noticed that when connected by usb on standard rom the screen would stay active.
    i like this as would have the phone connected all day at work.

i have noticed on darkys rom it only stays active for the alotted time.
    is there a way to change the options that when connected by usb the phone stays active.

If you get the options, select mass storage

Same with you dude, but I highly recommend the 2 of you look into flashing a new ROM on it, they are 20 times better in every way, it will make your phone the way it should be, head over to XDA developers and look for your phone model and read up, you`ll love it!!

This seems awful complicated...surely the phone should work out of the box or like a iphone, just sync with itunes?

Im sorry i didnt get another iphone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

This seems awful complicated...surely the phone should work out of the box or like a iphone, just sync with itunes?

Why should this phone sync with iTunes? That is an apple product. I will admit that Kies is a godawful PoS software that i wouldnt wish upon my worst enemy.

The phone does work "out of the box" but to get the most out of it (as with most things, even the iPhones) you can mod and root and etc etc

Friends of mine are happy with their SGS out of the box, no modding or rooting. If you cant handle the heat, step out of the kitchen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

If you don't want to get your hands dirty, then you're right, maybe you should have got an iPhone.

Blame Samsung, they make amazing phones with terrible software, but because Android is open anyone can change it, the members of the community make a better customised software for the phone than Samsung (or any other android phone)

Most of us here wouldn't agree with You though, an iPhone doesn't work out of the box either, You gotta jailbreak any Apple product to get anywhere, they're completely locked down. And then there's the fact that they purposely outdate them. Apple lock out features just so they can exclusively add them later. Android is miles ahead of IOS.

• Advertisement

looks like im on 9.3 darky.
    looks good so far.

firm 2.2.1
    baseband i9000xxjpy
    kernel 2.6.32.9 curio@carton voodoo 5.4.4
    build v9.3.xwjs5

thank you Lewis.

I have been looking over this thread for a few weeks now and only got the bottle and time to do it today, cheers for your help and posts in the thread as i have looked over a lot of them and they have helped me alot.

i have noticed that when connected by usb on standard rom the screen would stay active.
    i like this as would have the phone connected all day at work.

i have noticed on darkys rom it only stays active for the alotted time.
    is there a way to change the options that when connected by usb the phone stays active.

Once your hook up via USB you cant do anything with your phone,if that`s what you mean by active.
    You don`t need to do anything with your phone once hooked up, you use the pc.....if I`m misunderstanding you I`m sorry.....

what i meant was that on the out of box rom, the phone would stay active on whatever screen you had up last, so it would not time out when it was connected by usb to pc

now on darkys rom the screen timeout is as the settings are.
    so the screen will timeout and not stay active.
    i have oogled about it now and it seems that it is normal for custom roms and only seems to work on out of the box rom.

Well you obviously you have`nt read up on the SGS before buying, why did you even buy it?
    Get an iphone, Android is for people who like to customise til the cows come home, this is what makes it better than an iphone.

TRUST ME dude I was like you when I first got mine, but once you flash another ROM you will be blown away, if not get the iphone

im not sure if anybody here knows
    but with samsung.com
    when you register your samsung s phone and imei they give you 6 games and 3 recent movie releases for free.

when you are imputting the data on registration, you need to put the purchase date after the 1st feb, the deal ends the end of this month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

but with samsung.com
    when you register your samsung s phone and imei they give you 6 games and 3 recent movie releases for free.

when you are imputting the data on registration, you need to put the purchase date after the 1st feb, the deal ends the end of this month.

Didnt work for me a few weeks back. Would say the dates were wrong. Maybe that was an error or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

p4paddy07 wrote: »

am in re boot mode but there is no option to re set anything. just an option to re boot , re formatt sd card wipe data or clear cache partition cant find setting to go advanced. wipe battery

• Registered Users Posts: 25 p4paddy07

am in re boot mode but there is no option to re set anything. just an option to re boot , re formatt sd card wipe data or clear cache partition cant find setting to go advanced. wipe battery

I couldn't find ADVANCED or WIPE BATTERY STATS either.Really Need to sort out battery drain issue.Charged my phone last night, unpluged at 3am 12 hours later it was dead.i hardly even used the phone.my calls probably only totaled 20 mins didnt use internet at all.it was still dead in 12 hours and 6 of those it was sitting on my bedroom locker while i was asleep.before the update i could watch a movie for an hour and a half and still have half battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭smiddyboy

p4paddy07 wrote: »

I couldn't find ADVANCED or WIPE BATTERY STATS either.Really Need to sort out battery drain issue.Charged my phone last night, unpluged at 3am 12 hours later it was dead.i hardly even used the phone.my calls probably only totaled 20 mins didnt use internet at all.it was still dead in 12 hours and 6 of those it was sitting on my bedroom locker while i was asleep.before the update i could watch a movie for an hour and a half and still have half battery.

I had the same problem.

If you go to the 'ROM Manager' app and select 'Flash ClockworkMod Recovery' and then select 'Reboot into Recovery' it should give you the options you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭G1032

The wipe stats option will appear after you install CWM.
    There is another way to wipe the stats but also requires you root the phone.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=722862

If you go ahead and Flash Darky's ROM this will both root the phone and install CWM for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Raoul

but with samsung.com

Tried this and entered my imei but it didn't recognise it :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Tried this and entered my imei but it didn't recognise it :confused:
    Same here.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭budgemook

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Same here.:(

+1

It says IMEI isn't recognised but the Data of Purchase field goes red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭cantalach

For those who don't like to have to root their device and install unsupported updates, Galaxy S users in France are now starting to pick up the official 2.2.1 release through Kies:

http://www.samsunggalaxysforum.com/samsung-galaxy-s-updates/2-2-1-arrived-via-kies-on-my-galaxy-s-in-france/

Anyone have any idea how long it'll be before this comes out in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gaffs89

cantalach wrote: »
    For those who don't like to have to root their device and install unsupported updates, Galaxy S users in France are now starting to pick up the official 2.2.1 release through Kies:

http://www.samsunggalaxysforum.com/samsung-galaxy-s-updates/2-2-1-arrived-via-kies-on-my-galaxy-s-in-france/

Do samsung leak their software and then just wait for Darky to fix and improve it before they put it on general release ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Having a weird problem with texting. I'll go to reply to an SMS, send off my reply and the recipient gets a copy of a message that was successfully delivered in the past.

For example, I reply to a text right now but the recipient actually gets a message that I sent yesterday for the second time and my real reply gets stored in the conversation as what was actually sent. It's an intermittent problem but pretty odd.

Any ideas?

Running Darkys 9.3

Gaffs89 wrote: »
    Do samsung leak their software and then just wait for Darky to fix and improve it before they put it on general release ?

I wish Darky would fix Kies 2.0 because it's a great big pile of poo. At one stage this afternoon it had 45 threads going, well over 1,000 open handles and was using 327MB on memory. I'd love to know what sort of 4th rate muppets coded it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Updated a mates today to 2.2.1 his phone is with 3

Walkman wrote: »
    Updated a mates today to 2.2.1 his phone is with 3

Thanks. I'm on Meteor and it doesn't seem to be coming across to people on that yet.

I wish Darky would fix Kies 2.0 because it's a great big pile of poo. At one stage this afternoon it had 45 threads going, well over 1,000 open handles and was using 327MB on memory. I'd love to know what sort of 4th rate muppets coded it.

I`d say Darky and Kies are the same as water and electricity, they don`t go well together, lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

My last phone was a Nokia 5800 and the software that came with it was 'Nokia Ovi Suite' and was a similar heap of unstable rubbish.

I assume that they have an independant external companies doing these programs for them as they are rubbish and not tested on all computer systems.
    Maybe the fact that new phones come out every 12 to 18 months doesn't help, but it's not rocket science !

Advertisement