Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 p4paddy07

can someone here tell me how to reset battery stats on my Galaxy S.im running on 2.2.1 a week now.i downloaded firmware from samfirmware.com .After full charge my phone is dead in 14 hours even with wifi turned off and 6 of those hours im asleep so phone isn't used at all.before i updated i could leave my wifi on all day watch a full film on it and still finish the day with 30 percent battery but now im only getting about 14 hours of lite use out of it.im considering going back to 2.2

Id rather have a lagging phone then a dead one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭moggser

Went to Darky 9.3 and it's grand so far but I'm still getting the
    Random Turning off of things I.e the wifi get switched off
    And the volume goes down a notch and the driving mode get
    Knocked off ( the setting that allows the callers name played when getting a call). Is there a fix for it as it's annoying me now phone was like this before any Darkys went near it so I know it's not that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Can those of you who upgraded from Darky's 9.2 stable to 9.3 stable and have been using 9.3 stable for a week or so give us your thoughts?

What are the advantages of 9.3 over 9.2?

What are the disadvantages if any?

Is it worth the upgrade or if you were still on 9.2 and know what you now know about 9.3 would you wait for 9.4 if there's going to be one?

Ben
    (Still waiting to bite the bullet and upgrade from 9.2 to 9.3!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

BenEadir wrote: »
    Can those of you who upgraded from Darky's 9.2 stable to 9.3 stable and have been using 9.3 stable for a week or so give us your thoughts?

Is it worth the upgrade or if you were still on 9.2 and know what you now know about 9.3 would you wait for 9.4 if there's going to be one?

Ben

It is worth the upgrade in terms of stability for me, but if you're happy on 9.2 then stay. There are no major new features. There is an increased battery life (I've found) but that's anecdotal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Hecklar

If i didn't have such a hit and miss time with the battery on 9.2 i would have been perfectly happy to stay with it. Its too early to tell if this is much better but signs are good at the moment. lets hope it stays like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 beanman

Hi

I used to have a Palm Pre Plus and what a phone that was until it accidentally ended in the kitchen sink. I then got the Galaxy. I really love this phone but ONE very annoying point is I cannot see images in my emails. Example I am part fo the daily Groupon city deals. When I get the email on my Galaxy I cannot see the ad image as I used to on my Palm. Its alll just words and links.
    Is there a way to view full content email?
    Pls help
    Thanks
    Beanman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

p4paddy07 wrote: »
    can someone here tell me how to reset battery stats on my Galaxy S.im running on 2.2.1 a week now.i downloaded firmware from samfirmware.com .After full charge my phone is dead in 14 hours even with wifi turned off and 6 of those hours im asleep so phone isn't used at all.before i updated i could leave my wifi on all day watch a full film on it and still finish the day with 30 percent battery but now im only getting about 14 hours of lite use out of it.im considering going back to 2.2

Id rather have a lagging phone then a dead one!

Go into CWM/CWM Features/Wipe Battery Sats

Things will take a few hours to settle down and then your battery life will improve, if it does`nt, you may need to get another modem.

Ben

Advantages, its a whole new system, JS5 from what I can remember, lol
    Anything newer is always better, give it a go dude you won`t be disappointed.

just wondering if any of ya'll are using Foursquare and have any probs with it

i logged out of it yesterday and it wont let me log back in to it even tho i put right email and password in .. ive uninstalled it and reinstalled it many times
    ive rese the password to al to no avail.. there is no probs on the iphone im using so its just down to this

any one got any idea's :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Ben

i went from 9.2 to 9.3 last week.just a normal wipe not a full one.im thinking of going back to 9.2 i find 9.3 a bit buggy.a few force closes the contacts take time to open and so do messages.
    anyone else find this or am i being picky?

@ lewis your a legend and you do help out much more than i ever will lol.keep up the good work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

I have the Samsung Galaxy GT-I9000 and I'm wondering how to solve the following:

1. How do I turn off that annoying start-up and close-down tone?

2. When sending a text each time I go to my contact list for the recipient every single random person I've ever contacted via gmail appears in the potential recipient list. How can I adjust the settings so that only people in my phone's address book appear as potential recipients?

3. How do I turn off the automatic lock on the phone? As I have a phone cover I don't need the phone to lock on me, at least not every 10 seconds. It's increasingly annoying that I have to swipe my phone to unlock it each time I want to use it.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

crazygeryy wrote: »
    i went from 9.2 to 9.3 last week.just a normal wipe not a full one.im thinking of going back to 9.2 i find 9.3 a bit buggy.a few force closes the contacts take time to open and so do messages.
    anyone else find this or am i being picky?

@ lewis your a legend and you do help out much more than i ever will lol.keep up the good work.

I only used 9.2 for a few days before going to 9.3 but I find 9.3 is faster.
    Not sure what you mean by normal wipe vs full wipe. I restarted in recovery and did a wipe. Then installed from zip on sdcard. I use Titantium Backup to get all my apps and data back.

@Dionysus: Go to the contacts list. Open the menu, hit more and then display options. First option for me is Only Contacts with Phones. Tick that to hide internet only contacts (this is on Darky's 9.3 which is Android 2.2.1 so if you have an older android it may be in a slightly different place)

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gaffs89

Dionysus wrote: »
    I have the Samsung Galaxy GT-I9000 and I'm wondering how to solve the following:

2. When sending a text each time I go to my contact list for the recipient every single random person I've ever contacted via gmail appears in the potential recipient list. How can I adjust the settings so that only people in my phone's address book appear as potential recipients?

3. How do I turn off the automatic lock on the phone? As I have a phone cover I don't need the phone to lock on me, at least not every 10 seconds. It's increasingly annoying that I have to swipe my phone to unlock it each time I want to use it.

Thanks.
    Open Contacts. Then hit the Menu button. Then More, then Display. You have all the options you could ever need, phone only, sim only, gmail only or a combination.

The automatic lock is is actually Screen time out. Go to Settings then Display , then Screen time out, you can't turn it off but you can set it for 10 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭AE86JAY

Ok some might remember me a few weeks back well ive found my usb cable and been trying to flash my phone for the past 2 hours with no luck, The 3 button combo does not work, I have downloaded odin and tried this update/patch

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=821698

Not a hope will it work for me, what am I doing wrong?

To stick in download mode for use with odin you need to volume down/home/power and the logo will show saying "download mode" or something similar.it should pop up in odin then.

Is that whats not working for ya?

Ok just figured out what was wrong, the drivers wernt installed (rookie newbie), I have now flashed the rom but I'm stuck at Darky's start up screen for the past 2-3mins with some weird girls voice in the background, ( I can hear all the pro's at this "well I told you so") what next?

edit:
    ok im in its done I think,

Firmware 2.2.1

Build number Darky's v9.2 Extreme Edition

Yeah first boot after flash always takes a while, that's not a prob.

See how you get on now with battery performance and check your wifi sleep status.

AE86JAY wrote: »
    Ok just figured out what was wrong, the drivers wernt installed (rookie newbie), I have now flashed the rom but I'm stuck at Darky's start up screen for the past 2-3mins with some weird girls voice in the background, ( I can hear all the pro's at this "well I told you so") what next?

edit:
    ok im in its done I think,

Firmware 2.2.1

Build number Darky's v9.2 Extreme Edition

lol, I`d say that freak you out a little.....my heart always beats 1241234MPH when using Odin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

!

Thanks.

3 Download the "no lock" app from the Market. Works for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

@Dionysus: Go to the contacts list. Open the menu, hit more and then display options. First option for me is Only Contacts with Phones. Tick that to hide internet only contacts (this is on Darky's 9.3 which is Android 2.2.1 so if you have an older android it may be in a slightly different place)
    Gaffs89 wrote: »
    Open Contacts. Then hit the Menu button. Then More, then Display. You have all the options you could ever need, phone only, sim only, gmail only or a combination.

The automatic lock is is actually Screen time out. Go to Settings then Display , then Screen time out, you can't turn it off but you can set it for 10 mins.

Thanks. The screen time out is now sorted. However, the 'contacts' solution you both gave doesn't work. Let me elaborate: when I open contacts I only have my phone contacts there. It's absolutely fine. However, the problem is when I am writing a text in the 'New Message' and I hit 'contacts' when I want to send, I have all my gmail addresses as well as the contacts in my phone book there. It only appears when I access 'Contacts' via text. Any ideas on how to solve it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

hi,

In the music plater, how do I get my tunes to just play contineously or go on shuffle please. Can't seem to suss it out?

Thanks,

MM

• Advertisement

MidlandsM wrote: »
    hi,

In the music plater, how do I get my tunes to just play contineously or go on shuffle please. Can't seem to suss it out?

Thanks,

MM

If you can`t find it one the one you have do a search in the market...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭smurra3

hi,

Thanks,

MM

As the song is playing there are 2 buttons above the time bar.
    1 is for shuffle and the other changes loop/continuous.

What other cool stuff can I do now with Darky's ROM?

You may forget about it now man, v10 is out tonight, lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Having serious issues with my battery on 9.3. This morning I have a 15% loss in 1hr 28min, no calls, 1 text and some light browsing.

Can someone link to the best method of refreshing the battery stats?

That sounds about normal as the rom fOr me anyway is a battery hog

Put it I'n recovery mode then advanced settings then wipe battery stats then reboot the fone the actual guide to it is a page or three back on this thread
    Can't link ya to it as I'm on the fone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭G1032

Thanks. The screen time out is now sorted. However, the 'contacts' solution you both gave doesn't work. Let me elaborate: when I open contacts I only have my phone contacts there. It's absolutely fine. However, the problem is when I am writing a text in the 'New Message' and I hit 'contacts' when I want to send, I have all my gmail addresses as well as the contacts in my phone book there. It only appears when I access 'Contacts' via text. Any ideas on how to solve it?

You need to go into Gmail and set up all your contacts. There is a contacts label on the top left of your Gmail screen. Add in your new contacts here or delete any contacts you don't want that are in there.
    Your phone will display all contacts that are in the 'Contacts' section of gmail.
    Once your contacts are correctly set up in gmail any new email addresses etc. will get filed in the 'Other Contacts' section and won't appear on your phone until you add them to 'Contacts'
    When that is done then tick display google contacts only on your SGS. In Gmail you can filter for and delete duplicate entries.
    Bottom line........... sort out your Gmail contacts and forget about adding them to your phone or sim card. That will solve your issue.

Ok thought all was rosie and proud of myself for doing my first firmware flash, but major problem! my phone wont ring now??? It rings once on the ringers end but on my end the phone dosnt ring at all, immeditaetly then the network coverage goes to 0?? Any ideas?

Edit:
    found this whats the view on it a reflash?
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=814091&page=3319

Quick question and help please.

My premises burgular alarm texts me when its goes off, so I want my SGS to alert me when in bed late at night. How do I get my SGS to use a different alert tone for a text from the number my alarm texts me from, so when I'm lying in bed asleep, when i hear a different tone (to just getting an ordinary text or email) I'll be alerted to the fact that its my premises alarm that gone off and is texting me!

Is there anyway to set this up please?

• Advertisement

Having serious issues with my battery on 9.3. This morning I have a 15% loss in 1hr 28min, no calls, 1 text and some light browsing.

Can someone link to the best method of refreshing the battery stats?

Have a look through your apps and see if there is some hogging your RAM/battery, the ROM itself is sound.
    Did you come from a wipe?
    Ok thought all was rosie and proud of myself for doing my first firmware flash, but major problem! my phone wont ring now??? It rings once on the ringers end but on my end the phone dosnt ring at all, immeditaetly then the network coverage goes to 0?? Any ideas?

Edit:
    found this whats the view on it a reflash?
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=814091&page=3319

You could try a different modem. Did you do the wipe version for 9.3?
    Quick question and help please.

My premises burgular alarm texts me when its goes off, so I want my SGS to alert me when in bed late at night. How do I get my SGS to use a different alert tone for a text from the number my alarm texts me from, so when I'm lying in bed asleep, when i hear a different tone (to just getting an ordinary text or email) I'll be alerted to the fact that its my premises alarm that gone off and is texting me!

Is there anyway to set this up please?

Set up your contact info, while in there you`ll see ringtone, set it from there.

Just did a reflash all seems ok now??

lewis wrote: »
    Set up your contact info, while in there you`ll see ringtone, set it from there.

thanks, tried that there now, but it'll only allow me to set a ringtone so the phone would have to ring, but the alarm does text me only.

There seems to be no option to set an ALERT tone for an incoming text message?

help! :confused::confused::confused::confused::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

does anyone when is the samsung s 2 available, o2 or 3? (might be moving) :confused:

lewis i got one for ya...

just today ive been getting few issue's with the 9.3 i think,, was looking at what apps where running and fone froze for a sec then went in to the other launcher the original one from the home switcher app happened about four to five times today along with it messing about with other settings on the phone..

any idea's....did i read it right from ya earlier is there a darky's 10 tonight

thanks, tried that there now, but it'll only allow me to set a ringtone so the phone would have to ring, but the alarm does text me only.

There seems to be no option to set an ALERT tone for an incoming text message?

help! :confused::confused::confused::confused::pac:

I read you wrong, as far as I know you can only set the basic notification(text) tone for all texts, I`m afraid you`ll have to open your eyes and look at it if it goes off in the middle of the night..:)
    moggser wrote: »
    lewis i got one for ya...

just today ive been getting few issue's with the 9.3 i think,, was looking at what apps where running and fone froze for a sec then went in to the other launcher the original one from the home switcher app happened about four to five times today along with it messing about with other settings on the phone..

any idea's....did i read it right from ya earlier is there a darky's 10 tonight

You where looking in settings/applications/manage applications?
    Home Switcher is only used to select a launcher, unless you where in it.
    What other settings?
    You`ll have to explain a bit more and tell me what you where in and doing?

Yeah, but it`s for those who know there stuff, it has to be done through Odin and its Gingerbread based, still in the early stages.

• Advertisement

i wasnt actually doin anything other then using the fone really and it went like that i know what the home switcher dose so i wasnt messing in there or any where else really. few apps forced stop on me and four square stopped working for me i.e wont let me sign in to it no matter how many times i reinstall it and

Knocked off ( the setting that allows the callers name played when getting a call). Is there a fix for it as it's annoying me now phone was like this before any Darkys went near it so I know it's not that
    they are all problems that are wrecking me nut now at this stage

i wasnt actually doin anything other then using the fone really and it went like that i know what the home switcher dose so i wasnt messing in there or any where else really. few apps forced stop on me and four square stopped working for me i.e wont let me sign in to it no matter how many times i reinstall it and

they are all problems that are wrecking me nut now at this stage

How long are you on 9.3 and how did you do about getting there?
    What modem do you have and kernel?

I`ve read a lot of people having a wide range of problems with 9.3, but I was on it and I never had any issues with it.
    What it might just need is to flash it again, I `ve also read that there where a few "buggy" downloads of 9.3, maybe you got one?

im on it about week and half i think got it from a link on ere i think was def the darky's site anyway

baseband I9000XXJPY

Kernel 2.6.32.9 curio@carton#Voodoo_stable_5.4.1

build number Darky's v9.3.xwjs5

is that the info ya need?

im on it about week and half i think got it from a link on ere i think was def the darky's site anyway

baseband I9000XXJPY

Kernel 2.6.32.9 curio@carton#Voodoo_stable_5.4.1

build number Darky's v9.3.xwjs5

is that the info ya need?

That`s all grand, I thought maybe you where on Speedmod or something else other than the default ROM material.

You could go through your apps and try to see if that`s where the problem is, but if you have a lot that could take a while, then you`d be better off starting all over again?
    I know its a pain in the hole but if could solve your problems?

i know it can be.. ive not put anything new on there since it started to go like that today bar turn on the lagfix... would that be a prob?

• Advertisement

I thought that lagfix came turned on when installed?

yeah it does but i turned on to see if it would fix lag in certain games

I don`t know what else to say to you man, you`ve nothing to lose if you flash again, **** I wish I had vibration back,lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I don`t know what else to say to you man, you`ve nothing to lose if you flash again, **** I wish I had vibration back,lol

I got vibration back today. Back up everything (naturally), delete everything from the system using a laptop. In CWM clear cache, restore factory settings and all that kind of thing. Put on the 9.3 zip and flash with CWM. I actually just left the zip on the phone when i was deleting things.

You start again with a fresh phone so to speak and raw 9.3. Vibration works beautifully.

I got vibration back today. Back up everything (naturally), delete everything from the system using a laptop. In CWM clear cache, restore factory settings and all that kind of thing. Put on the 9.3 zip and flash with CWM. I actually just left the zip on the phone when i was deleting things.

You start again with a fresh phone so to speak and raw 9.3. Vibration works beautifully.

Definitely, I always leave one theme/ROM/kernel on my SD, you never know what could go wrong.
    When you say everything, is that EVERYTHING?

Are you lads saying that your phone dosent vibrate for yiz??
    That's mad mine does Jaysis I'd go kp (nutz) if that happened mine

What ya reckon causes that

Is there an app/hack to extend battery life? I've wifi/gps/bluetooth etc turned off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Is there an app/hack to extend battery life? I've wifi/gps/bluetooth etc turned off.

You're doing the right things. Also turn down the brightness of the screen as far as your comfortable with. I dont think theres any apps that actually help

Are you lads saying that your phone dosent vibrate for yiz??
    That's mad mine does Jaysis I'd go kp (nutz) if that happened mine

What ya reckon causes that

Nope, its one of the small prices you pay when flashing.

Juice Defender, Green Power.
    But doing all the standard things, turning off things when you don`t use them, will help.
    I know that you should`nt have to do all that because its a smart phone, but the battery sucks arse, simple as that.
    You got to work with what you got.

Nope, its one of the small prices you pay when flashing..

thats odd it didnt happen to me and ive flashed trice now all tho i thought it happened this morning till i checked the settings when i re flashed the 9.3

also me foursquare is working again now but the other glitches aint confirmed yet as they not reared their head yet

is there a adblocker available for it pref a free one bleeedin adds annoy me

• Advertisement
Advertisement