Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

Ste- wrote: »
    The way I do it.
    Go to app drawer and select apndroid. ensure mms settign is ticked.
    go back to home screen and select apndroid to enable teh connection.
    Then use handcent to write the mms.
    and it sends.

OK, I got APN working, that was a first, now sending through Handcent, still sending, seems to be very little activity, I take it the setting in Handcent are ok at default?
    With you does it take long for it to send?
    Does being indoors make it harder for it to send?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

lewis wrote: »
    OK, I got APN working, that was a first, now sending through Handcent, still sending, seems to be very little activity, I take it the setting in Handcent are ok at default?
    With you does it take long for it to send?
    Does being indoors make it harder for it to send?

Don't think I changed any handcent settings for MMS. Have sent indoors no problems. Do you have the MMS services through nitrality downloaded yeah ?
    Hang on i'll test send one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭donjuandejohn

Thanks Lewis, I'm on the original firmware with three. The battery went nuts on fri after i posted, charging had little effect on battery level unless I turned it off. I managed to get it to 60% (deleted the task killer) and powered it on again. Dropped 1% every 2 mins or so. Rebooted it, and it dropped 5% on power up. Rebooted it again but took sim and sd card out first. Dropped 16%. Rebooted it again with sim and sd i and it sat at 30% for the rest of the night. It didn't drop until the next morning and seemed to be back to normal battery drain. I updated the firmware thru kies to 2.2.1 and the battery is excellent since (not sure if it was anything to do with the upgrade). Dropping about 17-25% across 24 hrs with a bit of usage.

Guess it was just a hiccup.

Thanks for the reply.

Don't think I changed any handcent settings for MMS. Have sent indoors no problems. Do you have the MMS services through nitrality downloaded yeah ?
    Hang on i'll test send one now.

The only thing MMS wise I see is MMS stock?
    Thanks Lewis, I'm on the original firmware with three. The battery went nuts on fri after i posted, charging had little effect on battery level unless I turned it off. I managed to get it to 60% (deleted the task killer) and powered it on again. Dropped 1% every 2 mins or so. Rebooted it, and it dropped 5% on power up. Rebooted it again but took sim and sd card out first. Dropped 16%. Rebooted it again with sim and sd i and it sat at 30% for the rest of the night. It didn't drop until the next morning and seemed to be back to normal battery drain. I updated the firmware thru kies to 2.2.1 and the battery is excellent since (not sure if it was anything to do with the upgrade). Dropping about 17-25% across 24 hrs with a bit of usage.

Guess it was just a hiccup.

Thanks for the reply.

Always glade to help, if I can, :)

The only thing MMS wise I see is MMS stock?

I think I also got MMS Provisioning. Worth a try!

• Advertisement

I think I also got MMS Provisioning. Worth a try!

No joy....

No joy....

Under your default messaging settings, the default android messaging app. There should be Multimedia message (MMS) settings, is auto-retrieve ticked ?

Under your default messaging settings, the default android messaging app. There should be Multimedia message (MMS) settings, is auto-retrieve ticked ?

Yup

Yup

Strange.
    Out of ideas at the minute.
    If i think of something I'll let ya know. Very weird. Seems all your settings are the same as mine. Does your apn match what I posted above.
    In particular the last entry ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

I know I`ve asked this before but it just wrecks my head that I can`t get it to work.
    Its the bloody MMS, it just seems to have a mind of its own, not matter what settings I slap into it 98% of the time it won`t work.
    I saw your APN settings in your sig. and I thought I`d give it another go, I see activity but the MMS either stays downloading or does nothing.

Does anyone have there`s going?
    I`m on O2.
    I know your probably thinking why the hoe don`t you just send an e-mail, but I say I don`t want to, I want to send an MMS!!! lol

so does that mean you cant send or get mms?i can send and receive them but i have to turn on use packet data to do it?its nots so bad sending them but to get them the person has to text me first i turn on packet data and they send it.

• Advertisement

Strange.
    Out of ideas at the minute.
    If i think of something I'll let ya know. Very weird. Seems all your settings are the same as mine. Does your apn match what I posted above.
    In particular the last entry ?

Yeah, word for word, I`m back on the O2 ones but its still gets stuck on sending...
    crazygeryy wrote: »
    so does that mean you cant send or get mms?i can send and receive them but i have to turn on use packet data to do it?its nots so bad sending them but to get them the person has to text me first i turn on packet data and they send it.

I sent one MMS a few days ago was the same settings as I have now, the person was beside me, it took about 10 minutes and was 4 miles from where I live, there also on another network, I received one from another person who was the on the same network but every time I press the download button it said failed or just did nothing, no matter what I did to the settings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

My wifes SGS is turning itself off 2 or 3 times a day, very annoying.
    the phones only 8 weeks old or so, she went back to the shop and they said if it was only 28 days or younger, they'd have given her a new one - but now it has to be sent away and all they'll do is a software upgrade. Lots of hassle.

Any other options?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭G1032

MidlandsM wrote: »
    My wifes SGS is turning itself off 2 or 3 times a day, very annoying.
    the phones only 8 weeks old or so, she went back to the shop and they said if it was only 28 days or younger, they'd have given her a new one - but now it has to be sent away and all they'll do is a software upgrade. Lots of hassle.

Any other options?

Send it back. It could be a hardware fault.

G1032 wrote: »
    Send it back. It could be a hardware fault.

really, the phone did'nt encounter any abuse and physically is fine. She just does'nt want the hassle of a "temporary" phone and tramping in and out to the meteor shop etc.

I've had my SGS since last November. It's been back twice!!

Faulty screen replaced twice. Display module replaced twice. Cosmetic housing replaced the second time. And something else was done first time but I forget what.
    If your wife's phone is running the stock firmware then I'd send it back. I wouldn't say it's a software fault.

I've had my SGS since last November. It's been back twice!!

Faulty screen replaced twice. Display module replaced twice. Cosmetic housing replaced the second time. And something else was done first time but I forget what.
    If your wife's phone is running the stock firmware then I'd send it back. I wouldn't say it's a software fault.

If it is running stock when you get it back, I`d suggest you put a new ROM on there, she`ll be well with you! :)

And if you're running a custom ROM be sure to flash back to stock before you send it back for repair

And if you're running a custom ROM be sure to flash back to stock before you send it back for repair

Then when you get it back try another ROM, lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭cantalach

If it is running stock when you get it back, I`d suggest you put a new ROM on there, she`ll be well with you! :)

Translation for non-technical people:

"The software that comes pre-installed on your wife's phone does not actually work very well at all. I'd suggest upgrading to a newer version of the software even though it has not been approved by Meteor and doing so will void the warranty. This will impress your wife."

cantalach wrote: »
    Translation for non-technical people:

"The software that comes pre-installed on your wife's phone does not actually work very well at all. I'd suggest upgrading to a newer version of the software even though it has not been approved by Meteor and doing so will void the warranty. This will impress your wife."

Software = ROM, like windows 98/XP etc... on a PC...
    Wife = Well that will take a long time to explain.....
    Like anything electronic, eventually updates will come out, this can be done through Kies(software on your PC), a hape of ****e that can be used to upgrade stock ROM`s...
    Who give a feck what Meteor says, its your phone...
    When you flash(put) a different ROM on your phone,e.g another ROM can be one that has less bloatware(crap you don`t need)on it, hence making it faster, also other tweaks here and there overall make it better, these ROM are usually updated every now and again and also when Samsung release there official update.
    All custom ROM`s say "USE AT YOUR OWN RISK" but if it virtually impossible to brick(break) your phone.
    Impress a wife = Well if you do this, your in!! :)

• Advertisement

Thanks, the bloke in the Meteor shop said to to my missus "Get yer husband to do the software update".

no mention of me voiding any warranty in the process............hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Thanks, the bloke in the Meteor shop said to to my missus "Get yer husband to do the software update".

What does he not think a woman can do it?

You can go back to stock ROM if you need to send it back..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

there was a thread where people would send in screenshots of what they have on their galaxy s or htc homescreens.any idea what that thread was called?or where it is.and i searched before anyone asks.

He meant to update it via Kies. Thats the way to get the official Samsung software. That won't void any warranty.
    But I'm telling ya that it won't turn out to be a software issue. The phone was fine for months on the same software.
    Send it back and get them to repair it.

crazygeryy wrote: »
    there was a thread where people would send in screenshots of what they have on their galaxy s or htc homescreens.any idea what that thread was called?or where it is.and i searched before anyone asks.

Post your screen:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055977229

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

Ok guys....been running the new jvh Gingerbread(2.3.3) rom on my SGS for a few days now and i can honestly say its great. Its almost as fast as the last of the Froyo roms but its smoother, better battery life and has a lot more featues.

I also got TW4 from the new SGS 2 installed and thats sweet.

For anybody thinking of flashing it, it prefers a nice clean base.
    ie.1 Flash stock jm9 with odin, (can be got from www.samfirmware.com)

2.format internal sd card ( back ur stuff up if u need to )

3. Flash CF-ROot 3.2 kernel with odin and let boot.

4. Place custom rom on your sd card

4. Boot into recovery and flash custom rom from CWM.

For anyone that doesnt follow the above....well....stay well away from flashing !!!

Happy flashing !

He meant to update it via Kies. Thats the way to get the official Samsung software. That won't void any warranty.
    But I'm telling ya that it won't turn out to be a software issue. The phone was fine for months on the same software.
    Send it back and get them to repair it.

You are not correct here mate.....firmwares can go bad at any time and might need to be reflashed. System files can get corrupted the same as it can on a PC.

Id advise check the "lost.dir" folder on the internal sd card. If there are ANY files in here, some system files have got corrupt and the firmware might need to be reflashed.

Ok guys....been running the new jvh Gingerbread(2.3.3) rom on my SGS for a few days now and i can honestly say its great. Its almost as fast as the last of the Froyo roms but its smoother, better battery life and has a lot more featues.

For anyone that doesnt follow the above....well....stay well away from flashing !!!

Happy flashing !

Already discussed (well Ficeto's 2.3.3 base) in detail on the Darky' s thread..............
    Flashing Ficeto's base via Odin will also root the phone for you and give you the Dark Core 2.3 kernel

Already discussed (well Ficeto's 2.3.3 base) in detail on the Darky' s thread..............
    Flashing Ficeto's base via Odin will also root the phone for you and give you the Dark Core 2.3 kernel

I Don't look at the Darkyy thread .....Darkyy rom always one step behind and I wouldn't support him after seeing the attitude Joel has on xda.

I was asked a few weeks back on here to report in when I had flashed jvh so that's what I did.

• Advertisement

Happy flashing !

This is what I hate when it comes to flashing something new, a different way to do it.
    I`ve just read through the whole thread at http://www.darkyrom.com/community/index.php?threads/odin-cwm-base-ficetos-jvh-base-roms-for-odin-and-cwm.2814/...and I was going to go by that, then I see your`s and its worked for you, grrrrrrr lol

I Don't look at the Darkyy thread .....Darkyy rom always one step behind and I wouldn't support him after seeing the attitude Joel has on xda.

I was asked a few weeks back on here to report in when I had flashed jvh so that's what I did.

Darky doesn't really have anything to do with this ROM though. It's by Ficeto who works along side Darky.
    I won't be flashing anything by Darky again either I'd say. This base ROM has all I need and is super fast and smooth

This is what I hate when it comes to flashing something new, a different way to do it.
    I`ve just read through the whole thread at http://www.darkyrom.com/community/index.php?threads/odin-cwm-base-ficetos-jvh-base-roms-for-odin-and-cwm.2814/...and I was going to go by that, then I see your`s and its worked for you, grrrrrrr lol

Lewis
    Flash is the way you were going to. It's easier. Don't have to root. It's only one flash and its all done then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Happy flashing !
    Any instructions for just flashing the stock 2.3.3? Without root?

Darky doesn't really have anything to do with this ROM though. It's by Ficeto who works along side Darky.
    I won't be flashing anything by Darky again either I'd say. This base ROM has all I need and is super fast and smooth

Jesus, Darky`s attitude is nothing compared to the lads at Insanity, lol. I`ve been so close to giving it right back to them, 80% or so of there way`s of dealing with people is wrong, BUT they are good at what they do.

With Darky he`s trying to please everyone if they want something, he`ll try and do it no matter how pointless it is, you just can`t please all the people all the time.
    Lewis
    Flash is the way you were going to. It's easier. Don't have to root. It's only one flash and its all done then

Ok I`m going for it, just got to copy me **** to my laptop and then I`ll go for it...

Edit: lol Bootloop already and I only did a factory reset....waiting for phone to fully charge, then doing it..

Edit Edit: Well I got a pass with Odin, but I guess I did`nt disable lagfix because I`m getting the female android voice, still booting....at Galaxy S screen...I`m good to go, but the wifi won`t connect...here we go the list of little problems....damn its been AGES since I saw the Galaxy original boot screen, lol
    Wifi sorted...DAMN GPS locked within 5 seconds, usually it takes ages first time around...

Jesus, Darky`s attitude is nothing compared to the lads at Insanity, lol. I`ve been so close to giving it right back to them, 80% or so of there way`s of dealing with people is wrong, BUT they are good at what they do.

With Darky he`s trying to please everyone if they want something, he`ll try and do it no matter how pointless it is, you just can`t please all the people all the time.

Sorry. I wasn't very clear. I didn't mean I'm not flashing any more of Darky's ROM's cos of his attitude but because I'm so impressed with the Ficeto base ROM I don't want a custom one.

Ok I`m going for it, just got to copy me **** to my laptop and then I`ll go for it...

Edit: lol Bootloop already and I only did a factory reset....waiting for phone to fully charge, then doing it..

Edit Edit: Well I got a pass with Odin, but I guess I did`nt disable lagfix because I`m getting the female android voice, still booting....at Galaxy S screen...I`m good to go, but the wifi won`t connect...here we go the list of little problems....damn its been AGES since I saw the Galaxy original boot screen, lol
    Wifi sorted...DAMN GPS locked within 5 seconds, usually it takes ages first time around...

So it's all good? Did you flash with lagfix enabled? GPS locks almost instantly at times. But just a little while ago then it took about 20 seconds to lock. Still great though.

• Advertisement

Sorry. I wasn't very clear. I didn't mean I'm not flashing any more of Darky's ROM's cos of his attitude but because I'm so impressed with the Ficeto base ROM I don't want a custom one.

So it's all good? Did you flash with lagfix enabled? GPS locks almost instantly at times. But just a little while ago then it took about 20 seconds to lock. Still great though.

Hmmmm, I heard your one say it was enabled, did`nt really have the choice to, I always found the gallery a hape of **** and very slow, sweet jesus the yolk opened up straight away and absolutely NO lag, lightening fast, I`d say its faster than Quicpic, lol

I love the blue overglow, I`m going to sort out the rest of my apps and get it to where I want it, not to sure if I`ll put a theme on it yet, but I`m not going to say if its faster than,*AHEM* lol

Hmmmm, I heard your one say it was enabled, did`nt really have the choice to, I always found the gallery a hape of **** and very slow, sweet jesus the yolk opened up straight away and absolutely NO lag, lightening fast, I`d say its faster than Quicpic, lol

I love the blue overglow, I`m going to sort out the rest of my apps and get it to where I want it, not to sure if I`ll put a theme on it yet, but I`m not going to say if its faster than,*AHEM* lol

You won't need an *AHEM* ROM now. Any app on there that you don't want you can uninstall with Titanium Backup.
    Or you can always use the *AHEM**Nitrality* app from market to get/delete stuff.

Good stuff. I'm surprised it booted up with lagfix enabled...lol

The overscroll mod is quite cool alright. Try one of Jkay's theme. He has a few different versions for jvh. Aosp lockscreen, extended powermenu, battery mod etc.

Lewis
    Whats the weather widget you posted a short time ago in the 'Post Your Screens Thread?

Lewis
    Whats the weather widget you posted a short time ago in the 'Post Your Screens Thread?

Fancy weather pro I think...So what`s a good theme then....

• Advertisement

Fancy weather pro I think...So what`s a good theme then....

Gingerbread Red. I gave a link to it either last night or this mornig on the darky's thread.
    Sensation theme is class but a bad bug means the dialler just shuts itself down and you can't make a call.
    GB Red is bug free from what I can make out

Gingerbread Red. I gave a link to it either last night or this mornig on the darky's thread.
    Sensation theme is class but a bad bug means the dialler just shuts itself down and you can't make a call.
    GB Red is bug free from what I can make out

Hmmm a red theme, I had a blood red theme while on 8.3, it looked better than it did on the phone, lol, well restoring apps now, it might take a while..also the market was fast as hell loading up, for the time being I can say that this is faster than Insanity, not just a little but a lot!
    I`m kind of having second thoughts about going to Insanity, I`ll just have to keep an eye on it..

JKay s theme

JKay s theme

You got a link for it?

Anyone use Swype? I take it once I find it, I`ll have np flashing it??

You got a link for it?

Anyone use Swype? I take it once I find it, I`ll have np flashing it??

JKays themes are minimal with the mods guys have been asking him for....notification bar, ext powermenu, battery mod etc.

If you have stock framework it will flash straight from cwm. If you have had another theme on your current rom, download the restore files, flash them with cwm to gett the stock theme back and then flash the theme file.

I have the HTC gold plus...i like it!

Here you go:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1037157

I like the red theme, but I have to have my market/swype themed....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I like the red theme, but I have to have my market/swype themed....

Can you get themed swype for 2.3?

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Can you get themed swype for 2.3?

I think when I was on BAT theme it was themed, but for Market I had to get separately..

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭dermo1990

Does anyone have the APN data for vodafone...was flashing to darky 10 rc6 and that data was lost...

dermo1990 wrote: »
    Does anyone have the APN data for vodafone...was flashing to darky 10 rc6 and that data was lost...

Try this man...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=106942

• Advertisement
Advertisement